Next Canuck Captain

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think Edler would be a terrible captain and only gets consideration because of his seniority. He wants no part of talking to the media, or any of the extra attention.

Horvat is the obvious choice.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Horvat has more experience and speaks better English. EP has a tendency to get annoyed with dumb media questions. Let Bo handle media obligations while EP lights up the league. View attachment 256263
(Don’t want cr*p like this to happen again)

Horvat is softer than the Sedins. He works hard in the corners, I wouldn't say he is the type of soft player that just gets pushed off the puck, but he doesn't throw hits and he is not particularly chippy. I'm pretty sure in the Sedins' final year Daniel had more hits than Horvat. Pettersson has the will to be a bit chippy but he doesn't have the body to match.

Horvat in Pettersson's body would be a pretty similar player to what he is now, I think he would be big enough to still win puck battles and doesn't hit anyway. Pettersson in Horvat's body would be a machine.

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Horvat is softer than the Sedins. He works hard in the corners, I wouldn't say he is the type of soft player that just gets pushed off the puck, but he doesn't throw hits and he is not particularly chippy. I'm pretty sure in the Sedins' final year Daniel had more hits than Horvat. Pettersson has the will to be a bit chippy but he doesn't have the body to match.

Horvat in Pettersson's body would be a pretty similar player to what he is now, I think he would be big enough to still win puck battles and doesn't hit anyway. Pettersson in Horvat's body would be a machine.
So because Bo isn’t physical therefore he isn’t captain material? Got it

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010

The game has changed a lot since 2011. Even a marginally chippy player can be considered tough nowadays. Bo doesn't have to play like Stan Smyl for equal recognition as a tough player.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Horvat was brought onto this ship when it was going under and has seen it rise out of the depths with a full head of steam. He's played on every line in every role and exceeded expectations the whole way through. He's the only young homegrown talent to have tasted the playoffs so far and he is the bridge between the Sedin era and the Pettersson era.

There's no other candidate in my eyes. Going with Pettersson would be a cop out PR move in my opinion.
Yeah this is EXACTLY how I say it. Pettersson may become the face of the Canucks in that he's their best player and the player everyone pictures when they think of the Canucks, but Horvat is the face of the new era in a way. He was the first guy out of the entire new core to emerge and is leading the charge in that respect.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Bo deserves the "C" no question. Also don't give Sutter an "A" because it'll make him seem more important to this team than he is. Petey should get an "A" after his ELC is finished.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
So because Bo isn’t physical therefore he isn’t captain material? Got it

What? I never said that? I think Bo should absolutely be captain. I took exception the the premise that the Sedins were softies who let Thornton do what he did in that gif while Bo is some hardened tough guy who would have none of it.

Reactions: Billy Kvcmu

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Horvat has more experience and speaks better English. EP has a tendency to get annoyed with dumb media questions. Let Bo handle media obligations while EP lights up the league. View attachment 256263
(Don’t want cr*p like this to happen again)
Referencing that video of Hank and Joe, it's just one example of why I hope Thornton retires without winning the Cup.

Reactions: EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Personally believe Canadian markets place too much value on the C.

Don’t believe you could get away with taking it off Modano, Thornton, Brown and give it to Morrow, Pavelski, Kopitar and still have those guys in the team afterwards. Even if it was the best move for the club.

Linden was sent packing soon afterwards.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City

Are you kidding? Ask Acciari. Who was the first guy to challenge Matheson. This reads like someone who hasn't been to a Canucks game since 2004.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Bo should be captain. I believe the only reason he wasn't named captain last year was they had dreams of the Hughes Bros together, and Bo was a potential trade chip to make that happen. When they fell to 10th, Bo and the 10OA wasn't enough to get it done.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I would name Bo captain. Petey has gotten more comfortable, but I think that Petey can get frustrated and snap back at reporters. There's nothing wrong with that, but Bo is the more natural successor to Henrik. He'll be there to answer questions regardless of how Bo is feeling at the time.

Reactions: PM

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In all of pro sports, I don't think there is anything anywhere near as irrelevant relative to the importance fans place on it as the captaincy of an NHL team.
You may be on to something here. The guys who seem to be making such a big deal out of the captaincy are the media reps. It makes their job easier when somebody is willing to come out and face the music in the post-game scrum, particularly after a loss.

But after that, the captaincy of an NHL team is largely irrelevant, other than the fact that you get a chance to join the referees scrum in front of the penalty box to argue a call. There are six or seven NHL teams without a captain, and they'll all do just fine. But the talking heads in the media will continue to beat the drum as if it all matters.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
An NHL captain has to have the respect of his team mates and coaches, and be diplomatic with the refs and the media. It's a tougher role to handle, media-wise, in Canadian cities.

Bo Horvat more than fits the bill. :thumbu:

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
In all of pro sports, I don't think there is anything anywhere near as irrelevant relative to the importance fans place on it as the captaincy of an NHL team.

Traditions are important for our players to navigate this chaotic universe and the archetype of the hero is an important role to uplift and orient them towards their own inner hero archetype. That’s relevant and that’s that.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

On the other hand, NHL teams themselves place a great importance on the team's captaincy relative to other pro sports.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I've been saying Pettersson for Captain since the summer... you want to name a Captain NOT for who the team is now but for who you want your team to be in 5 years. Horvat wants to be the best player he can be in the NHL, Petey wants to be THE best player in the NHL. I'll take Petey's drive/goals/competitiveness to lead this team over Horvat's please. Both are great and it's the best kind of 'problem' to have but one of these guys can lead us to a cup and bring the damn thing home and that's Petey.

Terrible insights here

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Back in the day, Trevor Linden was the only captain in the league who was also his team's PA rep. Horvat is the Canucks's rep. Is it still unusual for a player to have both roles? Is it possible the team would be reluctant to make a PA rep captain?

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Edler's the best and most logical choice.

He's earned it. He has time for it. Players respect him. It takes the extra pressure off the younger players. They can just play. He is planning to stick around the community awhile.

Its not going to happen with him though because management is not happy with him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->