Next Canuck Captain

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The media in VanCity seem to have anointed Bo as the next captain, but I'm beginning to wonder if a better choice might be Petey. By the end of this season I suspect he'll be the obvious Canuck leader on and off the ice.

Other than maybe Pavel Bure, he might be the most driven and competitive player the Canucks have ever drafted. And it's virtually a given that he'll be the straw that stirs the drink for this team going forward. He just has that much of a fire in his belly.

So what would you do? Name Bo the captain now? Or wait for a year for Pettersson to break out?

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
I'm assuming the players call Bo "Cap" for a reason, so that's the route I'd take. It doesn't really matter who we perceive as the better leader since we don't see what goes on in the locker room. If the players follow Bo, he should be captain. If they follow Elias then he should be captain.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
The media in VanCity seem to have anointed Bo as the next captain, but I'm beginning to wonder if a better choice might be Petey. By the end of this season I suspect he'll be the obvious Canuck leader on and off the ice.

Other than maybe Pavel Bure, he might be the most driven and competitive player the Canucks have ever drafted. And it's virtually a given that he'll be the straw that stirs the drink for this team going forward. He just has that much of a fire in his belly.

So what would you do? Name Bo the captain now? Or wait for a year for Pettersson to break out?

I agree 100%. Bo is a great player and a very important leader on the team but I think that Pettersson will so outpace him as a player and leader on the ice he will be the obvious choice. If we make it to the playoffs in will be us on Pettersson's back.

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Remember when stupid people believed a “European captain could never win the Cup” because in a sample size of like 3 captains over 175 years or something of a largely six-team all-Canadian league, none of them had?

I will carry over this logic to point out that no captain from Rodney, Ontario has ever won the Stanley Cup so therefore we should be very cautious about giving it to Bo.

Reactions: hellstick

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Maybe Petey in another market would be the better captain.

But I want Horvat to be the lightning rod for our clickbait pseudo journalist Vancouver media. Petey can still be a leader in the locker room with an A, the biggest difference is dealings with refs and the media which I think Horvat is perfect for.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
I've been saying Pettersson for Captain since the summer... you want to name a Captain NOT for who the team is now but for who you want your team to be in 5 years. Horvat wants to be the best player he can be in the NHL, Petey wants to be THE best player in the NHL. I'll take Petey's drive/goals/competitiveness to lead this team over Horvat's please. Both are great and it's the best kind of 'problem' to have but one of these guys can lead us to a cup and bring the damn thing home and that's Petey.

Reactions: EP40

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I'd be gobsmacked if they don't announce Bo as the captain. He's the obvious choice. I agree that Pettersson has leadership capabilities but I say hit the brakes for a bit and let this core come together over the next few years before you think of doing that.

wjr0014

Jun 15, 2012
If they are naming a Captain this season then I would like it to be:

C - Horvat
A - Edler
A - Tanev
A - Sutter

Then over the next 3 seasons add Boeser, Petterrson, Stecher/Hughes 1 per season.

This insulates the leadership group with vets this year and slowly integrates our young core and cycles out the vets over time.

Reactions: DFAC

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I'd be gobsmacked if they don't announce Bo as the captain. He's the obvious choice. I agree that Pettersson has leadership capabilities but I say hit the brakes for a bit and let this core come together over the next few years before you think of doing that.

i’m already gobsmacked they didn’t announce bo as the captain a year ago.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Horvat was brought onto this ship when it was going under and has seen it rise out of the depths with a full head of steam. He's played on every line in every role and exceeded expectations the whole way through. He's the only young homegrown talent to have tasted the playoffs so far and he is the bridge between the Sedin era and the Pettersson era.

There's no other candidate in my eyes. Going with Pettersson would be a cop out PR move in my opinion.

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Bo Horvat is the captain of this hockey team. There is absolutely no question about it. Don’t care if Pettersson puts up 130 points this year... makes no difference to me.

Keep Pettersson away from the media attention and let him do his thing on the ice. No sense on shouldering him with any extra burden that he obviously isn’t comfortable doing.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Bo Horvat is the captain of this hockey team. There is absolutely no question about it. Don’t care if Pettersson puts up 130 points this year... makes no difference to me.

Keep Pettersson away from the media attention and let him do his thing on the ice. No sense on shouldering him with any extra burden that he obviously isn’t comfortable doing.
Horvat is already doing the thankless job of being the team’s player union rep. Horvat is Caesar while Pettersson can be his Labienus (who arguably was as much responsible for the Roman victories in Gaul and elsewhere as Caesar).

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Horvat has more experience and speaks better English. EP has a tendency to get annoyed with dumb media questions. Let Bo handle media obligations while EP lights up the league.
2356BB22-1A63-4B80-8709-75024BC9CF2F.gif

(Don’t want cr*p like this to happen again)

Reactions: EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

member 290103

I agree,but is Bo also not just as competitive and driven? I think you give it to Bo based on his experience over Petterrson

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Honestly I think Canucks already know it's Horvat and are just waiting to announce to keep the interest and people talking about it. I mean really there is no other option and he is the leader already.

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
Yeah I think this is going to be Petterssons team & he should eventually be Captain.
I compare them to Gretzky & Messier, Messier was considered one of the greatest leaders in sports, but Wayne was his Captain.
What I'd like to see em do is give the C to Edler for 2 years, A's to Bo & Petey & I think in 2 years it will be obvious to everyone that Petey should have the C.
I think Edler really rose to the occasion last year. He seemed to thrive being the veteran Swedish leadership for Petey & I think Pettersson was better for him being there.
I think he'd be a great fill in Captain for a couple of years while Bo & Petey grow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->