Next Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup

Who will be the first Canadian team since 93 to win the Stanley Cup?

• Total voters

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I guess getting injured 3 times this year doesn’t count as injury prone guys.

You hypocrites can’t call Tanev injury prone if you think Matthews isn’t then. Tanev blocks pucks with his face etc

LOL. Uh-huh.

Hey, I'll see you when your team returns to the NHL, in about 5-6 years, okay?

:)

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Defensive stats are simple just like points, I’ll give you the definition(again
of the easier ones.

oiSV% = On Ice Save Percentage -> The save percentage of team while said player is on the ice -> This correlated with the quality of Shots your defender does or doesn’t let opponents take.

oiGA = On Ice Goals Against(per 60 minutes) -> The amount of goals that gets scored against while said player is on the ice -> This simply correlated with how defensively sound the said player is.

Defence is not a compound metric, if Myers has consistently had great oiSV% and oiGA through his career on both the PK and 5v5, and with all that said he’s having one of his best career seasons. Also what makes you think Myers is worse than Rielly if you’ve hardly seen him play, Myers is excellent Defensively from my viewing and I am yet to hear any complaints about him in the Jets forum.

You can make up what ever anecdotal arguments you want but Myers is better Defensively compared to Rielly(don’t get me wrong Rielly’s numbers are extremely impressive but Myers is better) and I can tell you don’t watch Myers and you clearly only looked at one staticistic in points(which is safer when judging forwards but having good Defensive numbers when your a defensemen is critical).

Arguing Defence doesn’t matter for a defensemen just because Kadri and Gardiner where supposedly “Elite” in a particular metric that you couldn’t even provide doesn’t make your argument sound any less stupid.
:laugh: Did you read any of what I wrote?

You’ve made several assumptions which, you know what they say....

Not once did I say a defenseman should be measured by points. In fact, no statistic or even series of, can accurately measure a players defensive value. The eye test still reigns supreme. You then say I don’t watch Myers, yet I’ve seen him live probably a dozen times over the past two years? Likely more if I didn’t avoid Winterpeg...

....but hey, good luck to you. I have zero interest in debating the Chayka-lites. If you genuinely think you can scout a player on the computer, I can’t help you.

“Analytics, what a thing. Look at all the people who have jobs in hockey working analytics... they don’t mean anything, but good for them!”

-Mike Babcock

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
:laugh: Did you read any of what I wrote?

You’ve made several assumptions which, you know what they say....

Not once did I say a defenseman should be measured by points. In fact, no statistic or even series of, can accurately measure a players defensive value. The eye test still reigns supreme. You then say I don’t watch Myers, yet I’ve seen him live probably a dozen times over the past two years? Likely more if I didn’t avoid Winterpeg...

....but hey, good luck to you. I have zero interest in debating the Chayka-lites. If you genuinely think you can scout a player on the computer, I can’t help you.

“Analytics, what a thing. Look at all the people who have jobs in hockey working analytics... they don’t mean anything, but good for them!”

-Mike Babcock

I’m not huge into analyticseither I’m just using statistics(there are many deeper stats/metrics that can get weird and sophisticated, I don’t like those) to judge a hockey player on they’re value. Ifs unfair to say someone isn’t better than another said player and then when statistics get represented that further the opposition of that notion to just plug your ears, statistics are simply an outcome of what the player provides before them, some stats get really controversial here but I think oiSH% and oiGA are simpler and safer to use as primary Defensive judgment, the eye test is always going to be subjective stats aren’t.

Nobody has ever won the Hart or Ted Lindsey for simply looking better(/eye test, sometimes it’s a factor but it’s not the definitely main one), the voting nine times out of ten resides with the player who has the best statistical output, and those voters are the players and the coaches so I will take the judgment of players and coaches over a accedotal argument by ones favourite coach to provide bias argumentation.

Anyways, Myers passes the eye test for me and he has better statistics than Rielly while being able to kill penalties. I think he’s better than Rielly(currently, who knows how Rielly will develop passed this season).

Last edited:

Nosferatu

Nov 10, 2016
I think Pittsburgh gonna win it sooner than these teams. Why is not mario lemiux home town an option?

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
The Leafs are probably the team to beat as far as Canadian teams go. they are as deep up front as you can get, they have an elite goalie, Riely is developing into a #1 D man it appears they have every core piece you need

take your homer glasses off and you can see the jets are clearly leading the Canadian teams while competing for first in their division

I'll say Leafs because I think they have a better ability to attract UFAs that can put them "over the top" in the future.
Jets and Flames might be the better teams now, but doubtful Cup winners.
Montreal isn't magical franchise to players now, It's been 25 year since the Habs won a Cup, and their record since 1993 has been poor.

the way the jets sign they're home grown talent they'll even to compete with any other team.in terms of a price tag

the beauty of signing high skilled players at a value price paua off long term

Matthew, nylander and marner will look for bit contracts playing on a team that makes the most money

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Myers is not, and never has been better than Rielly, Perrault is not better than Marleau and never has been

I also like how you conveniently choose to compare Laine and Brown, comparing your franchise player to a 3rd liner good job.

scheifele is the jrrs Franchise player right now. hello

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
take your homer glasses off and you can see the jets are clearly leading the Canadian teams while competing for first in their division

the way the jets sign they're home grown talent they'll even to compete with any other team.in terms of a price tag

the beauty of signing high skilled players at a value price paua off long term

Matthew, nylander and marner will look for bit contracts playing on a team that makes the most money

I mean if your criteria is competing for 1st in the division well so are the Leafs, they are 4 points out with still 2 games to go against Tampa, and yes Boston does have games in hand but those games in hand begin with March 1st against a reloaded Penguins team and Bergeron left Toronto tonight in a walking cast, if he's hurt they are in trouble

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I mean if your criteria is competing for 1st in the division well so are the Leafs, they are 4 points out with still 2 games to go against Tampa, and yes Boston does have games in hand but those games in hand begin with March 1st against a reloaded Penguins team and Bergeron left Toronto tonight in a walking cast, if he's hurt they are in trouble

both teams have games in

don't worry Tampa bay and Boston will separate themselves again like.it has been all season lol

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
no. the guy who's the top centre and scores a ppg is your franchise player

6 million for 8 years says it all

Ya, believe me, Laine is getting that money too, in fact unless his agent is awful at his job, Laine gets more way more

dratbunnies

Nov 23, 2009
Winnipeg Manitoba
it's Laine he was their 36 goal rookie, if you are a 36 goal rookie you are a franchise player
Aww rats, you’re right. We have more than one franchise player ;p

But seriously, Scheifele is a lot closer to franchise player status for me. Top 10 C, young, an absolute leader.

Laine has quite a bit to work on before he can become at that level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad