Next Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup

Who will be the first Canadian team since 93 to win the Stanley Cup?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So, I guess the Habs should be at the top, because they've won the most playoff games in franchise history.

Canucks rank pretty high because they've had some good runs.

Sens had a deep run last year, so they have to rank high.

This notion that a franchise's history is an important criteria for prediction of future performance is really lame.
It' not about franchise history. It' about not being so fickle so as to change your mind as soon as a team does a bit good or a bit bad

Winnipeg was clearly behind both Edmonton and Toronto at the very least in the off season according to almost everyone here. Unless you predict them to win the cup this very season - a question like the OP's should involve a bit more reflection than simply seeing whose at the top of the standings today and voting accordingly

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Gotta go with the Leafs, as they just have the most talent and best depth. Winnipeg is very good tho. It's close.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It' not about franchise history. It' about not being so fickle so as to change your mind as soon as a team does a bit good or a bit bad

Winnipeg was clearly behind both Edmonton and Toronto at the very least in the off season according to almost everyone here. Unless you predict them to win the cup this very season - a question like the OP's should involve a bit more reflection than simply seeing whose at the top of the standings today and voting accordingly
I think a lot of posters are not just looking at the standings this season, but also looking at the level and depth of talent and the prospect pool. The Jets rank highly in both of those areas. Their performance this season has been anticipated by many in the hockey world for some time, now. Two seasons ago they started a rapid transition to younger players, which continued last season. Last season's results were influenced by a horrendous amount of injuries, along with the continued influx of young players. This season the Jets' management thought the time was right to push for contender status, which was why they pulled the trigger in the UFA market to fill the LD and goalie holes.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think a lot of posters are not just looking at the standings this season, but also looking at the level and depth of talent and the prospect pool. The Jets rank highly in both of those areas. Their performance this season has been anticipated by many in the hockey world for some time, now. Two seasons ago they started a rapid transition to younger players, which continued last season. Last season's results were influenced by a horrendous amount of injuries, along with the continued influx of young players. This season the Jets' management thought the time was right to push for contender status, which was why they pulled the trigger in the UFA market to fill the LD and goalie holes.

I'm less bothered by people picking Winnipeg than I am with people giving up on Edmonton. Going into this year HF voted Edmonton as the #2 cup contender in the whole league. If you believed in them then - all of a sudden they have no chance?
And winnipeg - i forget where they finished, but i assume it was at bottom.

It takes more than a strong regular season to win the cup. Winnipeg has some good roster pieces, but so do many other teams. They have to show that they can be a top team in the league for many years and/or achieve playoff success before i buy into them as a team likely to win a cup soon.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm less bothered by people picking Winnipeg than I am with people giving up on Edmonton. Going into this year HF voted Edmonton as the #2 cup contender in the whole league. If you believed in them then - all of a sudden they have no chance?
And winnipeg - i forget where they finished, but i assume it was at bottom.

It takes more than a strong regular season to win the cup. Winnipeg has some good roster pieces, but so do many other teams. They have to show that they can be a top team in the league for many years and/or achieve playoff success before i buy into them as a team likely to win a cup soon.
You don't need to be good for many seasons before becoming a real contender. There is plenty of evidence that teams can sometimes ascend to contender status quickly when all of the roster pieces come together.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You don't need to be good for many seasons before becoming a real contender. There is plenty of evidence that teams can sometimes ascend to contender status quickly when all of the roster pieces come together.
Yep you are right.

But again, that's the problem. People on HF tend to look at standings and draw conclusions. A year ago Edmonton was *definitely* the next Canadian team to win the cup, with Toronto as an outside chance, and Winnipeg way back. Today - Edmonton/Winnipeg have flipped roles.

People who believed in Edmonton in the off season should still do so today.
People who didn't believe much in Winnipeg in the off season shouldn't all of a sudden call them the favorite canadian team to win a cup because of a strong first half to a regular season.

It should take more than that.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
this-week-in-the-hockey-news-magazine-future-watch-2015

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
LOL

Why are the Jets winning with almost half the votes? Have they ever won even a SINGLE playoff game?

Jeez. Track record is more important than even talent to win the cup. This is the first year they're competitive. Whose to say they don't falter again next year, or get swept in round 1 this year? Unless you expect them to win the cup this year - just because they're the best team so far this season doesn't mean they'll win the cup first.

I don't mind the idea of people picking the Jets based on liking their roster as much as it bugs me that people are just voting for the shiny new toy. A year ago Jets would have gotten like 5% votes max and Edmonton would have been at the top, with Toronto close behind.
Track record is almost completely worthless actually. The current players play the games, not the past iterations of the franchise

Reactions: Festinator

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Track record is almost completely worthless actually. The current players play the games, not the past iterations of the franchise

By track record I mean experience too - maybe 'track record' wasn't the best terminology to use.

The roster/talent surrounding Winnipeg, Toronto and Edmonton hasn't changed a ton in the past 12 months has it? And in the summer majority opinion would have said

1. Edm 2. Tor 3. Winnipeg (or they'd be 5th or 6th)

now people say:

1. Winnipeg 2. Tor 3. Edmonton

Why? a year ago Winnipeg's current players sucked, could only score points but not win games and would never really amount to playoff success. And a year ago Edmonton's player were so good that they were bound to dominate their division and also playoffs for the next 5-7 years.

Now that the standings are different - the opposite is true?

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
By track record I mean experience too - maybe 'track record' wasn't the best terminology to use.

The roster/talent surrounding Winnipeg, Toronto and Edmonton hasn't changed a ton in the past 12 months has it? And in the summer majority opinion would have said

now people say:

Why? a year ago Winnipeg's current players sucked, could only score points but not win games and would never really amount to playoff success. And a year ago Edmonton's player were so good that they were bound to dominate their division and also playoffs for the next 5-7 years.

edit: the difference from last year is the there's less injuries and helleybuck got better over the summer

this is usually the case when you draft well and wait to develop without trading away your players or signing big contracts you shouldn't be signing

Last edited:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Right now the Jets have the best record at the moment but their lead is not other worldly. Too close to call right now between them Calgary and the Leafs. Odds are we have the toughest first round match up so that hurts our chances.

Going forward? Who knows? Who's surprise prospect becomes an insta star? Who makes a dazzling trade to clear up a glaring weakness? No one knows.

Not voting.
Jets not only have the best record at the moment, they are playing in the Central (against very tough competition on a much more frequent basis) and winning in spite of missing two of their top C's. It may be close going forward, but I think Wpg wins quite handily based on depth through their lineup & up and coming prospects.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Yep you are right.

But again, that's the problem. People on HF tend to look at standings and draw conclusions. A year ago Edmonton was *definitely* the next Canadian team to win the cup, with Toronto as an outside chance, and Winnipeg way back. Today - Edmonton/Winnipeg have flipped roles.

People who believed in Edmonton in the off season should still do so today.
People who didn't believe much in Winnipeg in the off season shouldn't all of a sudden call them the favorite canadian team to win a cup because of a strong first half to a regular season.

It should take more than that.
Ok, but where was Edmonton rated before last season - really low because in spite of potential, they had never done squat. Now, I'd say the flaws in their roster have been exposed once again, and its too much to expect a couple of very highly priced players to fix that.

Wpg has similarly underperformed expectations for the last few years to the point where in spite of tremendous potential people were jumping off their bandwagon. Finally this year they've performed to expectations, their goal-tending has NOT let them down (that's always been their problem), they filled a couple of holes through UFA, and they still have tremendous depth in the system to rely on. A couple years ago Hockey News picked the Jets to win the cup in 2019. The Jets are finally realizing their potential. Unless Hellebuyck totally falters in the future, there's nothing but upside in their future.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Have to say I am surprised that the Jets are currently up with over 50% of the votes. Do this poll last Aug and I doubt they would of had more then 2/3%. I guess that's why we play the games.:laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

now people say:

Actually, the Jets have improved markedly in a few areas.

Hellebuyck has turned into a top #1 goalie. That had been anticipated by many as he developed, but wasn't realized until this season.

Jets had a gap at LD and it was uncertain how Kulikov would fill that gap. He's been very strong, giving the Jets a stronger and deeper D than some expected.

It's not simple to know how young players will develop. Connor has been terrific with the Jets after a year in the minors. Morrissey took another big step forward this season and has been outstanding on the first pair. When a team is very young, you can't accurately project their future performance until they make the jump.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ok, but where was Edmonton rated before last season - really low because in spite of potential, they had never done squat. Now, I'd say the flaws in their roster have been exposed once again, and its too much to expect a couple of very highly priced players to fix that.

Wpg has similarly underperformed expectations for the last few years to the point where in spite of tremendous potential people were jumping off their bandwagon. Finally this year they've performed to expectations, their goal-tending has NOT let them down (that's always been their problem), they filled a couple of holes through UFA, and they still have tremendous depth in the system to rely on. A couple years ago Hockey News picked the Jets to win the cup in 2019. The Jets are finally realizing their potential. Unless Hellebuyck totally falters in the future, there's nothing but upside in their future.
Other than last season, which was riddled by injuries, I don't think the Jets underperformed much in the past few seasons. They overhauled the roster with youth, and took some lumps through the process.

kyle o connor

enjoying first line highlife
Apr 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB

now people say:

When we first got our team back we had a bottom 10 roster with our top prospects being Patrice Cormier and Carl Klingberg. Overhauling an entire organization minus 4 players takes time and the current players needed NHL experience to grow together.

Other than Byfuglien being a bit overpriced, can you find one long-term contract you would say is a bad contract?

Our 24 year old Vezina candidate isn’t leaving any time soon and goaltending was our Achilles heel up until this year.

We are the juggernaut roster that you wish you had and we won’t stop until we capture what’s ours!

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Jets easily. They do this well without their #1 center and have enough depth.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
The fact that the Jets can go 8/2/2 with Scheifele out and Lowry also gone for most of those games proves they have great depth which is what is needed to win a SC.

The Jet players are proving to themselves that they can beat anyone even when they have major players out.

That said Helly needs to stay healthy because he may be the only player the Jets have that they cannot play without.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Jets easily. They do this well without their #1 center and have enough depth.

I really like how they're built.
Deep on forward, on defence and solid goaltending.

They're the deepest overall team in Canada. I like their chances.

I don't like Toronto's chance at getting past the Atlantic; those other two teams there are a bit above them.

That all being said, after this year? Toronto has a good chance if they get another impact piece on the backend; and not suffer too much through UFA departures and resignings. I just really like how the Jets are today. Like, it doesn't require that 'Well, if we got a 1D, we'd be amazing!' Or my teams' "Well, if we got a top 6 scorer, we'd be amazing!".

Reactions: Mestaruus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->