Newsday: Businessman has plan to bring ECHL hockey to Medford (Long Island)

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
A brief synopsis: A guy wants to build an arena on land he
a) doesn't own,
b) that is being sold to someone else,
c) and he hasn't talked at all to the current owners about purchasing.

Furthermore, he has no idea if building an arena there is viable or not.

Must have been a very slow news day there....

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
joke.png

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Sounds a little bit like the owner of a regional grocery chain in Eugene wanting to keep the old ballpark there a stadium (plus a new "Kid Sports" facility) so that the major semi-national grocery competitor didn't get their hands on it in order to build another grocery (plus). Except that, in that case, because the land was previously a stadium, there was political momentum to help it remain a stadium.

Jokes aside, maybe this deal isn't exactly like that, but I'd argue it's safe to bet on "political momentum" not being in favor of hockey in this instance.

HWP1997

Nov 2, 2016
Well, the article says he's hoping for the East Coast Hockey League, so he has obviously done his research.

/s
Yeah and the ECHL hasn't referred to themselves as the "East Coast Hockey League" since 2003.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Even though the details might make it a stretch. I think it would be awesome if somehow it did happen, all the roadblocks aside. ECHL, local teams, and Stony Brook could get a state of the art arena and go D1. I'd kill for D1 hockey, it's only 15-20 min from the campus.

UnofficialTGnome

Apr 11, 2018
Since they haven't announced who St John's is taking over, ie moving the Mallards, Eagles, maybe Admirals, would be nice to see this come about. Really miss trips to Johnstown, Trenton for games and looks like this would be an easy drive from Reading, Pa to see an away game. Fingers crossed!

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Since they haven't announced who St John's is taking over, ie moving the Mallards, Eagles, maybe Admirals, would be nice to see this come about. Really miss trips to Johnstown, Trenton for games and looks like this would be an easy drive from Reading, Pa to see an away game. Fingers crossed!
All the news articles out of St Johns have said it is an expansion team. Of course the reporters could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like they are buying an existing franchise.

Reactions: 210

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017
Ya, From what I read it is an expansion team. No news since the initial press release saying the team is coming. I'm expecting more news within the week or next week.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
who acquires either QC or Colorado's franchise is the next scenario, obviously, Colorado's might be longer to leave but as explained it's a new ownership in St. John's, not an existing franchise, because as you saw with Portland there was a transfer of territory.

Norfolk is going nowhere, as they've committed to another 3 year term... with help from the ECHL.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
I would love for minor league hockey to return to Long Island as I never made it out to Commack Arena to see John Brophy and the L.I. Ducks the first time around. We also briefly had the L.I. Cougars, a farm team of the WHA Chicago Cougars. All before I was old enough to drive.

But as 210 said, it's just random talk. We now have a minor league baseball team called the Ducks so any hockey team would probably have to have a different name, too bad...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad