News Article: News & Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I hope BR starts GDT for Minnesota ;)

We'd get a bunch of Wild fans over here defending their honored homeland at that point. The thought of Minnesota makes me ill. We should just trade that State to Canada for future considerations. Don't get me started on those awful jerseys ....

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
We'd get a bunch of Wild fans over here defending their honored homeland at that point. The thought of Minnesota makes me ill. We should just trade that State to Canada for future considerations. Don't get me started on those awful jerseys ....

They have a thousand lakes. In the upcoming water wars, that will be important. If we give it to Canada, we'll just have to take it back when we conquer them for their water. We should de-populate the state and siphon off the water to a better place.

Halpysback*

Water is overrated, after global warming we'll be flooded with water anyway. Let Canada have them.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
They have a thousand lakes. In the upcoming water wars, that will be important. If we give it to Canada, we'll just have to take it back when we conquer them for their water. We should de-populate the state and siphon off the water to a better place.

Come on now Canada is the United State's 51st state anyways.

Glad that Orpik/Latta are back.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Really should be called the Minnesota Black Flies as the Black Fly is the state bird.

Was hiking in June once at Grand Portage National Monument just north of Grand Marais, Mn. near the Pigeon River which borders Canada. Those black flies, we had to wear the bee keepers head gear in order to hike and even with several layers of sweat shirts on, those suckers were still a nuisance.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
haha

I wouldn't even know how to start a GDT or what to do with it. I'm that dense.

Another reason to hate Minnesota (if there aren't enough) is the name of their American Football team. I get the Wild and the Timberwolves. Its all foresty and stuff up there. I have no idea what a Viking has to do with that state. Its almost as bad as the Bullets going to the Wizards.

In other news Nate Schmidt like REALLY wants to play tonight and there is such a thing as Nate Schmidt Happy as oppossed to regular Happy. For sentimental reasons start him and rest Orpik.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
haha

I wouldn't even know how to start a GDT or what to do with it. I'm that dense.

Another reason to hate Minnesota (if there aren't enough) is the name of their American Football team. I get the Wild and the Timberwolves. Its all foresty and stuff up there. I have no idea what a Viking has to do with that state. Its almost as bad as the Bullets going to the Wizards.

In other news Nate Schmidt like REALLY wants to play tonight and there is such a thing as Nate Schmidt Happy as oppossed to regular Happy. For sentimental reasons start him and rest Orpik.

Heavy Scandinavian population in Minnesota, lots of Norwegians and Swedes, though the Somalians are coming up fast along the outside.

From Wikipedia FWIW: "Until European settlement, Minnesota was inhabited by the Dakota and Ojibwe/Anishinaabe. The large majority of the original European settlers immigrated from Scandinavia and Germany, and the state remains a center of Scandinavian American and German American culture."

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Heavy Scandinavian population in Minnesota, lots of Norwegians and Swedes, though the Somalians are coming up fast along the outside.

From Wikipedia FWIW: "Until European settlement, Minnesota was inhabited by the Dakota and Ojibwe/Anishinaabe. The large majority of the original European settlers immigrated from Scandinavia and Germany, and the state remains a center of Scandinavian American and German American culture."

I had no idea. So that is why they named their football team the Vikings????

It makes sense that they pretty much have ALL the FINNS in the NHL on their team fi thats the case.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I had no idea. So that is why they named their football team the Vikings????

It makes sense that they pretty much have ALL the FINNS in the NHL on their team fi thats the case.

If you ever listen to Garrison Keillor's Prairie Home Companion radio show on NPR, which for the most part is performed at the F Scott Fitzgerald Theatre in St. Paul, Mn., Keillor makes a lot of references to Lutherans and Norwegians during these shows.

BTW one of my recollections of Grand Marais was that they have a Pizzeria store there named Sven and Oles Pizzeria.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
If you ever listen to Garrison Keillor's Prairie Home Companion radio show on NPR, which for the most part is performed at the F Scott Fitzgerald Theatre in St. Paul, Mn., Keillor makes a lot of references to Lutherans and Norwegians during these shows.
Is that on during the drive to Denny's for the Early Bird Special?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Oh totally! However I had to quit listening to it because I became obsessed with it. Very compelling NPR programming as usual but it was taking time away from me watching reruns of Gilligan's Island which I needed to catch up on.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Oh totally! However I had to quit listening to it because I became obsessed with it. Very compelling NPR programming as usual but it was taking time away from me watching reruns of Gilligan's Island which I needed to catch up on.

Spoiler Alert! They do get off the island.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Spoiler Alert! They do get off the island.

Speaking of Gilligan's Island:

Years after the show ended, its creator, Sherwood Schwartz, admitted that each of the characters represented one of the seven deadly sins Pride (the Professor), Anger (Skipper), Lust, (Ginger), and the rest. Gilligan was supposed to be Sloth.

But a closer viewing indicates that the island may well have been Hell — and the red-clad Gilligan the devil who kept them on his island.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/incharacter/2008/01/your_turn_gilligan.html

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
At first I was brushing off the whole concussion thing a bit as a money grab by some class action lawsuit lawyers and old timers who really didn't get paid that much.

Now with this whole CTE business I am rethinking my stance on alot of things both in terms of the NFL and NHL.

http://deadspin.com/what-happens-to-enforcers-when-hockey-uses-them-up-1690358212?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Thats just scary stuff.

I mean we have seen what punching each other in the head a bunch can do to Boxers (Holyfield used to speak like a human). But with the suicides in the NFL, early retirements and the stuff about enforcers in the NHL its probably time to really turn things up a notch.

I know in Australia they are looking into a ban on boxing.

I have to say that its probably time to do away with fighting in the NHL sadly. The realities of scientific research are in the back of my mind now and its hard seeing people bash each others heads knowing what can happen down the road.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
No problem with them removing fighting from the sport, but they also need to make any hits above the shoulder a 5 minute major as well as reduce the size of the shoulder pads etc. that many of the old timers believe are a contributing factor to the concussions.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
No problem with them removing fighting from the sport, but they also need to make any hits above the shoulder a 5 minute major as well as reduce the size of the shoulder pads etc. that many of the old timers believe are a contributing factor to the concussions.

Yeah I have to change my stance on fighting here. I agree about the shoulder pads and harsher penalties.

While its true that these brutal contact sports really crush the body there is nothing near important as the head/brain. I think thats the cutoff at acceptable risk based on research going on.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Yeah I have to change my stance on fighting here. I agree about the shoulder pads and harsher penalties.

While its true that these brutal contact sports really crush the body there is nothing near important as the head/brain. I think thats the cutoff at acceptable risk based on research going on.

Recall watching a special on TV about CTE and I think it involved the medical facility in Massachusetts where a number of these athletes have willed their brains to for study. One of the diseases that they had contributed to CTE in the special was ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease. They even went on to suggest that Gehrig who had experienced several concussions during his playing career my have suffered from CTE which then might have contributed to ALS. All speculative of course.

Then I just found this from Keith Olbermann.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad