News Article: News & Notes XXXV: You no help me now, I say f*** you Jobu, I do it myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Think I might’ve just found the ultimate team merchandise for the most hardcore of fans.

For only $450 Canadian (plus s&h) you can own your very own Carolina hurricanes table constructed out of two severed legs.

il_794xN.2656337361_pm2z.jpg

Get them while they last. I already ordered 3.

Carolina Hockey Table | Etsy
Is this why most of JRs draft classes never panned out? JR was farming for table legs. Makes more sense now

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
I just a week back bought a new set of summer tires. When asking "I need new rubbers", he guy automatically first offered me budget end tires, and I had to ask for a specific higher tier tires myself.

They actually had a fun ad in the local paper a year ago: "We got cheap and good tires", followed by two separate lists "Cheap tires:" and "Good tires:".

I assume that especially the people looking to dump their current car in near future are a big segment looking to buy for "cheap" and "OK" tires, because it's not economically sound for the seller to buy higher end tires to be effectively given away with the car.

I guess a micro-economy thesis could be written about the overall ineffectiveness tire markets.

The reason for asking higher end tires btw was, that I allowed myself be fooled with low end tires the previous time, and those goddamn Daytons they imposed on failed me one tire at a time. I paid the price difference I initially saved in visits to the tire repair shop and hassle to get the tire fixed or replaced with a used one that the guy sourced a piece a time from his used tires junk demountable.

You can find start up gems for deals sometimes. There was a time when Yokohamas and Kumos were very cheap. Ironman tires are very cheap right now and not too bad. Depends on how you drive the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinJaBen and Lempo

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Think I might’ve just found the ultimate team merchandise for the most hardcore of fans.

For only $450 Canadian (plus s&h) you can own your very own Carolina hurricanes table constructed out of two severed legs.

il_794xN.2656337361_pm2z.jpg

Get them while they last. I already ordered 3.

Carolina Hockey Table | Etsy

I think I’ve identified the source of Gardiner’s mobility issues.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
You can find start up gems for deals sometimes. There was a time when Yokohamas and Kumos were very cheap. Ironman tires are very cheap right now and not to bad. Depends on how you drive the car.
I guess in this case a big part of the issue in my case is that the Bridgestone budget label Dayton is apparently optimized for South African use and they're thusly very unoptimized for my Finnish conditions including roads with specific kind of gravel.

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
I guess in this case a big part of the issue in my case is that the Bridgestone budget label Dayton is apparently optimized for South African use and they're thusly very unoptimized for my Finnish conditions including roads with specific kind of gravel.

Yupp, Never been a big fan of either. Some of the Bridgestone 4x4 offerings are pretty good tires though.

Reactions: Tryamw and Lempo

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I just a week back bought a new set of summer tires. When asking "I need new rubbers", he guy automatically first offered me budget end tires, and I had to ask for a specific higher tier tires myself.

They actually had a fun ad in the local paper a year ago: "We got cheap and good tires", followed by two separate lists "Cheap tires:" and "Good tires:".

I assume that especially the people looking to dump their current car in near future are a big segment looking to buy for "cheap" and "OK" tires, because it's not economically sound for the seller to buy higher end tires to be effectively given away with the car.

I guess a micro-economy thesis could be written about the overall ineffectiveness tire markets.

The reason for asking higher end tires btw was, that I allowed myself be fooled with low end tires the previous time, and those goddamn Daytons they imposed on failed me one tire at a time. I paid the price difference I initially saved in visits to the tire repair shop and hassle to get the tire fixed or replaced with a used one that the guy sourced a piece a time from his used tires junk demountable.

No one? Really? This isn't just low hanging, it's actually sitting on the ground! :arr:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Lempo has too good a command of the English language to unknowingly leave that one hanging by accident.
Actually it was a verbatim translation and carries the same connotation in the original language. The tire guy could've easily retorted "I see you have f***ed your old ones all awry", had he the good mind to do it.

But, I guess like the cash clerks and some other professions, they have heard them all zillion times already and don't want no part in it.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Somewhere along the way, Timberland and Rockport asked

"Why don't we make the SHOES waterproof?"
TBF, those are really intended for leather sole dress shoes, where if the soles get wet they'll grind down really quickly. You see them less because much better rubber soled dress shoes exist, and even people who wear leather soles regularly just wear those on rainy days instead.

And nobody's making kids go to school in penny loafers anymore.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Somewhere along the way, Timberland and Rockport asked

"Why don't we make the SHOES waterproof?"

TBF, those are really intended for leather sole dress shoes, where if the soles get wet they'll grind down really quickly. You see them less because much better rubber soled dress shoes exist, and even people who wear leather soles regularly just wear those on rainy days instead.

And nobody's making kids go to school in penny loafers anymore.

Plus I've got to believe that men aren't walking in open weather as much as they used to. I say men because I've never seen rubbers for women (yeah, I did that on purpose :naughty:).

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Yup, 1960s. And a pair of these if you lived in an area where it snowed a lot.
b2cce815-e447-574d-bbea-c740371cf6d1.jpg

Replaced by pac boots; if necessary you'd carry your shoes or sneakers and swap them at the door. We used to play football in the snow in these. You'd put plastic bread wrappers inside the boots and it made it easier to slip them on, as well as waterproof protection for your socks if snow slipped inside the boot. Good times!
00040-cu8-a1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad