News Article: News & Notes XXXI: What the Fau... Foegele Will Happen This Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That and he’d blow the budget. I’d rather use the money to keep Dougie and Haula. If I’m being honest about a UFA I’d target at the deadline based on current team performance, my first call in the Metro wouldn’t be to Jersey for Hall, but to the Islanders for Greiss.

Yep. And even though he's doing it this year, there's no guarantee that Dundon is going to spend to the cap every year, in fact, I'd be surprised if he did.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I would take Hall as a rental, but agreed I'd be terrified of a long term commitment. No interest in Greiss or Saad really. Guess I wouldn't be upset if either were added.

Reactions: Unsustainable

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Including playoffs, Hamilton has 103 GP for Canes, with 25 G and 29 A. For example, Faulk scores 33 goals for us in his first 262 games. Joe Corvo, including playoffs, has 38 goals in his 238 games for us. Including playoffs, Sean Hill has 392 games for Carolina... with 42 goals. I don't care about Whalers, so in his first 5 seasons for Hurricanes Wesley (only regular season!!!) has 382 games with 30 goals. Including playoffs: 416 games with 30 goals.

Impressive. If they keep him with new contract, he could chase Faulk record - 85 goals for Hurricanes (without playoffs).

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I don't know if we let Haula walk away without an extension. I am not sure there's a better fit to our style of game than Haula is and he's already producing. Aho, Necas, and Haula has our 3-deep at Center over the long haul would be huge for the way we want to play, and give us so much depth at a key position down the line. And not only is he playing really well now, but he's also killing it in the circle.

He keeps playing like this, he gets an extension before the end of the year, and we deal with the cap during the offseason.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Nino is going to have to go if we want to re-sign Haula. Probably going to have to pay to get rid of him and/or maybe retain cap.
I take Haula over Nino any day. Nothing against him, but Haula is flat out better, and fits perfectly in our system- plus he gives us real center depth for the first time in forever. We absolutely should re-sign Haula.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I take Haula over Nino any day. Nothing against him, but Haula is flat out better, and fits perfectly in our system- plus he gives us real center depth for the first time in forever. We absolutely should re-sign Haula.
Yeah I don't think anyone disagrees there but it's probably going to take another CDH type trade or more to unload Nino.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't know if we let Haula walk away without an extension. I am not sure there's a better fit to our style of game than Haula is and he's already producing. Aho, Necas, and Haula has our 3-deep at Center over the long haul would be huge for the way we want to play, and give us so much depth at a key position down the line. And not only is he playing really well now, but he's also killing it in the circle.

He keeps playing like this, he gets an extension before the end of the year, and we deal with the cap during the offseason.

I guess it depends on if he wants to sign an extension mid season, vs. going UFA at the end of the season. He'll be 29 years old and while it's nothing to sneeze at, $2.75M is his high water mark for earnings in a season to this point in his career. If he continues to play like he is now, he may want to test the market to maximize his earnings as this is his last big chance to do that. Canes aren't known to overpay for a guy, which is what it might take to keep him if it's done during mid-season.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I guess it depends on if he wants to sign an extension mid season, vs. going UFA at the end of the season. He'll be 29 years old and while it's nothing to sneeze at, $2.75M is his high water mark for earnings in a season to this point in his career. If he continues to play like he is now, he may want to test the market to maximize his earnings as this is his last big chance to do that. Canes aren't known to overpay for a guy, which is what it might take to keep him if it's done during mid-season.
No doubt

but at the same time, he has to also realize there might not be a better team for him to maximize his skillset than the Canes and the style we play. That in and of itself might be worth a discount, as we've seen with quite a few signings in recent years.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
No doubt

but at the same time, he has to also realize there might not be a better team for him to maximize his skillset than the Canes and the style we play. That in and of itself might be worth a discount, as we've seen with quite a few signings in recent years.

I'm open to it, but I also recall we felt even stronger about re-signing Ferland a year ago.

Let's let this continue before making extension decisions. And see what Haula wants in terms of an extension for that matter.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yes but Haula hasn't needed Aho to prop him up like Ferland did.
What stands out to me the most about his play so far is that he's not really reliant on anyone else to get him going. He's putting himself in great positions to score every night, be it either by consistently finding the defensive netfront weak spot or by simply creating something out of nothing like he did against the Isles. He's a PPG player right now with Foegele on his line. And when you see how he's playing, it certainly doesn't look like he's on a blazing hot streak, he's just playing smart.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->