News Article: News & Notes XXXI: What the Fau... Foegele Will Happen This Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018
Granlund/RNH.

At least NSH should make playoffs and EDM should be in the bubble.

Some other potential (pure 1 year) rentals:
FLA: Hoffman
NYR: Kreider
PIT: Galchenuyk (don't think he's a fit)
LAK: Toffoli
CGY: Frolik (meh)
ARI: Soderberg (meh)

Some of the good rentals are likely to be extended like Koivu, Backstrom and Dadonov.
Some play for contenders like Granlund, Smith (NSH), Coyle (BOS).
I don't think any team is willing to trade king's ransom for Hall unless extension is negotiated.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
You read my mind. J Dub is the rental. Of course, I'll remove Forgele or McGinn from the lineup if we can get a Hall. Ain't nothing wrong with crazy depth. Remember our playoff injuries last year?

Barring injury, I agree Williams is the most likely rental.

That said if Williams doesn't come back and/or there are more injuries, the names above make sense.

A shutdown 4c at the deadline wouldn't shock me either. Wallmark is doing well there but someone who can lead a defensive wall of a 4th line would help a lot in a playoff run.

Center depth for the playoff run would also be useful in case of injury. Right now, the next center up is Necas or Bishop.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Outside of Williams coming back sometime this season, does it really seem like the front office’s MO to give up futures , which they hoard, for a rental? I just don’t see them doing that. However, I could easily seem them adding, if they’re in good shape standings-wise in February, a player that had term or they were reasonably sure they would re-sign.

Tyche

Jul 9, 2019
One of the things that has really stood out to me this season is how great of a player Svechnikov is. He already has 7 assists and a goal out of the 5 games played and has 2 points in each game except for the Montreal one. The dude has been money lately and you can't not notice him every game. He is such a fun player to watch.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Canes will probably treat the trade deadline like they have treated the draft, free agency, and the trade market. Explore all possible options and jump on any value. Maybe the market is filled with overpayments and the Canes stick with the group that got them there. Maybe it gets down to the wire and the Canes find they can get a Hoffman or Hall for expendable assets. The goal is to win a Stanley Cup and success will snowball. A better Playoffs will result in more UFA interest in the Canes and more outside team interest in the Canes' assets.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I'd personally do sign-and-trades for any deal that we would give up a top prospect for (like Bean, for example). Taylor Hall is the prime example of someone that I would sign-and-trade for, but I totally doubt that the Devils want to trade in the division.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I know we get a full season, but we did trade a prospect for a year of Haula. It always depends on the value I think.

I do think they would try to key in more on term or someone they can sign as well, though.

I think this fits into the “having a good feeling about re-signing the player narrative.” Stylistically, Haula is tailor made for how the Canes play. As long as he’s not asking for crazy money or term, I pretty much expect they’ll find a way to fit him in for the next few seasons. Maybe something like $5.5M x 3yrs or something. All bets all off if Haula goes for 30+ goals, who knows how much that version of Haula costs.

I personally think they’ll end up keeping Haula and 1 of Edmundson or TVR without too many headaches cap-wise. It will get very interesting in 2 years when they’ll need to give Svechnikov and Hamilton huge raises tho. I think the development of Priskie and Bean will go along way to decide which of the steady 3rd pair guys to keep. Bottom line there is that I don’t think this coming off-season will be anywhere near as exciting than this past one.

Also, I suppose I should caveat my thoughts about the braintrust not going after rentals. I don’t think for a second they’d give up a prospect like Bean, for example, or one of their 6 picks in the top 3 rounds of the 2020 draft for a guy that would more likely than not walk after a playoff run. Now something like a 4th or Roy-level prospect, that really doesn’t have a future in the org anyway, is fair game, provided a need is met. They’re so deep at all levels now though, I just don’t seem them needing to or even considering paying rental prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: cptjeff

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The Canes will only do rentals with term and/or guys they’ll sign after the trade, IMO. Maybe if injuries hit we trade a 4th for someone, but really doubt this team goes big game hunting for a guy who’s going UFA on July 1.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
So since January 1st the Canes have 35 wins, which leads the league, 72 points, which ties for first with St. Louis, and 171 goals for, which is good for second (Tampa has one more goal in three less games played). The mighty maple leafs only have 161 goals. Despite our gnashing of teeth over the ‘power kill’ the team has the 6th best % at 22.7 over the same time frame.

It’s been a decade of misery, but I’m finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
That and he’d blow the budget. I’d rather use the money to keep Dougie and Haula. If I’m being honest about a UFA I’d target at the deadline based on current team performance, my first call in the Metro wouldn’t be to Jersey for Hall, but to the Islanders for Greiss.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I'm keeping an eye on how it goes for Chicago. The FO was interested in Saad in the past. He's an under contract for another season; getting 2 playoffs runs out of him may be enough of a justification to give up a quality asset. What I like is that he doesn't need PP time to get on the score sheet; of the 241 points he's scored dating back to 14-15, just 28 have come with the man advantage.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
I'm keeping an eye on how it goes for Chicago. The FO was interested in Saad in the past. He's an under contract for another season; getting 2 playoffs runs out of him may be enough of a justification to give up a quality asset. What I like is that he doesn't need PP time to get on the score sheet; of the 241 points he's scored dating back to 14-15, just 28 have come with the man advantage.
I was big time on Saad in the summer but we are pretty deep on LW position. Saad back in time used to be two way force that kills on even strenght

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad