Aug 24, 2006
No, the stouts are all forwards.
saku_maenalanen_karpat-2.jpg
Not so fast, there, turbo.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well Staal was a scarecrow too when he was that young. It’s natural, especially for tall guys. They both are going to need time to fill out and get used what they have as they go.

Sometimes that impacts how good they’re going to be immediately, and we’re putting a lot of expectations on them. It’s a bit unfair to them. I’m just saying from looking at them in pictures and on ice, it should be on the table that they may not be ready for the full deal. Expectations should be appropriate.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I understand tempering expectations, but today's NHL is not the NHL Staal broke into. Even just 10-15 years ago, the game was much different than it is now. You don't have to be a physical specimen right away to find success. Every year the game is switching to being based more off of speed than physicality and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon.

I think if Necas or Svechnikov struggle it will be more due to the increased speed of the game rather than physical limitations. They might not be able to bump people off the puck like they did in lower levels of hockey right away, but there are still other ways they can succeed as soon as next season.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I understand tempering expectations, but today's NHL is not the NHL Staal broke into. Even just 10-15 years ago, the game was much different than it is now. You don't have to be a physical specimen right away to find success. Every year the game is switching to being based more off of speed than physicality and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon.

I think if Necas or Svechnikov struggle it will be more due to the increased speed of the game rather than physical limitations. They might not be able to bump people off the puck like they did in lower levels of hockey right away, but there are still other ways they can succeed as soon as next season.
I’m not saying they have to be physical specimens. I’m just saying they’re both very light and neither is going to able to avoid contact like p Kane.

I agree I’m also looking forward to when it just begins so we/I can stop speculating.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
So in that video, anyone have an idea who were they talking about when they said "if he's available at 42"?
While it might have been Drury, I'm thinking it could have been Ty Dellandrea. A lot of folks felt that Dallas reached a bit for him and he was ranked all over the place....as low as 42 (Hockey Writers) and as high as 18 (Button). ISS didn't even have him ranked in the top 31.

Some things I read about him labeled him as competitive, hard-nosed, a natural leader, and a "does it all" kind of guy. He was a guy I'd hoped would be there when our 2nd round pick came around and I was surprised by Dallas's selection.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
While it might have been Drury, I'm thinking it could have been Ty Dellandrea. A lot of folks felt that Dallas reached a bit for him and he was ranked all over the place....as low as 42 (Hockey Writers) and as high as 18 (Button). ISS didn't even have him ranked in the top 31.

Some things I read about him labeled him as competitive, hard-nosed, a natural leader, and a "does it all" kind of guy. He was a guy I'd hoped would be there when our 2nd round pick came around and I was surprised by Dallas's selection.

Who was we rumored trying to get back into the 1st for?

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I'm not sure how others who watched the draft video are concerned about Svech's size. Walking with RBA he looks almost as broad-shouldered. According to various sites (EliteProspects, NHL.com) he is 187, which is 12 pounds heavier than Hischier who did fine last year in 82 games. And if Necas is above 190, he is big enough as well. They will have challenges in their rookie seasons, but I don't think they will get pushed around more than more experienced players.

On another note, I played around with the SKATR tool. Aho is pretty impressive. Using the comparison feature, the only LWs with a definite advantage are Hall, Kucherov, and Marchand. Aho is pretty close to Panarin and has slightly higher overall scores than Gaudreau.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
So in that video, anyone have an idea who were they talking about when they said "if he's available at 42"?

The "junk-yard dog" part made me think it was M. Sammuelsson. But then the scout mentioned shot at NHL level, which likely implies a forward. So not sure.

When you were watching that did anyone else think about the "What's the problem?" scene? I understand why the team doesn't want comments by Tulsky and his staff being broadcast, just hope the organization has something more than "guy looks like a leader."

Reactions: Unsustainable

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Perhaps some accidental journalism on the CanesCast, Bill Burniston being interviewed. Michael Smith asked about Slavin’s workout focus this offseason, Burniston’s response was something along the lines of “he could get a lot more minutes next season, so our focus has been mostly on conditioning so he can handle those minutes.”

Reactions: Unsustainable

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Perhaps some accidental journalism on the CanesCast, Bill Burniston being interviewed. Michael Smith asked about Slavin’s workout focus this offseason, Burniston’s response was something along the lines of “he could get a lot more minutes next season, so our focus has been mostly on conditioning so he can handle those minutes.”
Sounds like they're planning on using him on the PP if they trade Faulk.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Sounds like they're planning on using him on the PP if they trade Faulk.

That would have to be it. If anything I would think he’d play less on the PK since they got a competent defensive LHD in CDH.

Spoiler alert...CDH's shoulder is messed up and they think he is going to miss half the season, so Slavin will be taking his shifts as well as his own.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Aho, Hurricanes discussing contract extension

Aho's take on the offseason moves:

"I guess I knew something was going to happen, but you never know exactly what," Aho said of the changes. "I think we needed change a little bit, but we'll see how this works. Every move they made is because they want to get us better. Everyone wants to win, and they're doing to try to do that."
Aho would like to be part of the solution. He is unsure if the contract will be done before the start of the season.
"It's tough to say," he said. "I'm sure they're working on it and we'll see what happens."

Not sure if he's forgetting the Skinner deal or making an "addition by subtraction" argument.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad