News from gouvernor reunion ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
I'd be more interested in hearing what transpired during the owners only meeting.

Howard Berger from Toronto's Team 590 Radio station is reporting NHL, owners, general managers and a few other hockey people related with the teams are meeting. At 2pm, all will be kicked out except for 30 NHL owners, Bettman and his legal staff. Berger has been told the NHL will make a definitive statement by the end of the day as to their plans for the future.

X0ssbar

FAN590 is reporting that Bettman has just said that the NHL will not start on time if a CBA is not in place by Sept/Oct.

The FAN590 is speculating that the replacement player option may be off the table.

ResidentAlien*

The plot thickens, and thens starts to flowover and stank up the place

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
Ouch, the owners look bad, one meeting they say one thing, the next the other.

Not starting the season I think is the worst case for the players...sit and do nothing watch your career go down the drains...seems to be the tactic of choice for most pro-owners on these boards if no CBA in place, and would probably put more pressure on the NHLPA.

No winners though. :(

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Wow ... Just yesterday in all the reports Bettman said 100% the season will start on time ...

Either way, Bettman remains adamant that the NHL season will begin next October regardless of what transpires.

"My stance on starting the season hasn't changed," he told reporters after Tuesday's labour talks. "What I have said is that we are planning to start the season on time and that is a plan that will continue to be in place. But I do have a board meeting tomorrow and we have a number of issues and options and matters to discuss with the board so I can talk more about that tomorrow."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050419_182927_8092

Today he must be suffering from SERIOUS whiplash with that 180 degree reversal and backtracking ..

I guess the Replacement player threat Gary just didn't get the desired response from either side EH ?????

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Not a surprise based on what Burke said yesterday (2/3 of the owners against replacements). I also think this forces the PA to come to an agreement moreso than replacements would, as replacements would have ended the dispute one way or another. Continued limbo on the other hand forces no such end. This decision will INCREASE the chances of starting next season on time with the real players, but also increases the chances of next season being cancelled.

The Messenger:

read that quote again. "We will plan to start the season in October". PLAN being the key word in that sentance.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Top Shelf said:
FAN590 is reporting that Bettman has just said that the NHL will not start on time if a CBA is not in place by Sept/Oct.

Um, isn't this kinda obvious? I mean, he's basically saying that the season will not start on time if they don't have an agreement by the start of the season.

WrightOn

Feb 7, 2004
Ohio
The Messenger said:
Wow ... Just yesterday in all the reports Bettman said 100% the season will start on time ...

Either way, Bettman remains adamant that the NHL season will begin next October regardless of what transpires.

"My stance on starting the season hasn't changed," he told reporters after Tuesday's labour talks. "What I have said is that we are planning to start the season on time and that is a plan that will continue to be in place. But I do have a board meeting tomorrow and we have a number of issues and options and matters to discuss with the board so I can talk more about that tomorrow."

I didn't see him mention 100% anywhere......did i miss that?
He did mention that he would have meetings and that he would be able to comment on it further today.
And he did.
Yeah, maybe he shouldn't be realistic in the face of doom......

WrightOn

Feb 7, 2004
Ohio
Egil said:
Not a surprise based on what Burke said yesterday (2/3 of the owners against replacements). I also think this forces the PA to come to an agreement moreso than replacements would, as replacements would have ended the dispute one way or another. Continued limbo on the other hand forces no such end. This decision will INCREASE the chances of starting next season on time with the real players, but also increases the chances of next season being cancelled.

The Messenger:

read that quote again. "We will plan to start the season in October". PLAN being the key word in that sentance.

What he said.

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
The Messenger said:

Today he must be suffering from SERIOUS whiplash with that 180 degree reversal and backtracking ..

I guess the Replacement player threat Gary just didn't get the desired response from either side EH ?????
Key word is "planning". Planning means this: try and get sponsors, arrange a schedule, arrange for training camps, prepare as if the game is on ice in October. It doesn't mean actually following through with it. For example, the NHL "planned" to have an All-Star Game, a regular season, a playoffs and Stanley Cup Finals, and an Entry Draft at the end of the 2004-05 season. None of those things happened.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
Egil said:

The NHLPA was hoping for replacements, now they have nothing to hope for but same old...

cue WHA tournament ads...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Egil said:

The Messenger:

The very first Bettman line says

Bettman said:
Do you require the link to Hundreds of Bettman quotes that replaces the word "PLAN" with the word "WILL" in the posturing of this CBA dispute ..

Last edited:

King_Brown

I wont suppourt this if there is no linkage involved. Hopefully the owners stay strong, as another year might be needed to stick it to the greedy players. There has to be linkage, and a hard cap. What I don't understand is the idea of a luxury tax inside of a Salary Cap, absolutely one of the worst concepts brought forward to date. What kind of crap is that.

X0ssbar

waffledave said:
Um, isn't this kinda obvious? I mean, he's basically saying that the season will not start on time if they don't have an agreement by the start of the season.

:dunno:

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
The Messenger said:
The very first Bettman line says

Do you require the link to Hundreds of Bettman quotes that replaces the word "PLAN" with the word "WILL" in the posturing of this CBA dispute ..

Thats not what Bettman said, thats what the reporter said.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Top Shelf said:

The FAN590 is speculating that the replacement player option may be off the table.
Which also means the IMPASSE and IMPLEMENTATION is also not in the NHL plans, and any NHL court battles ..

and those NLRB complaints filed recently by the NHL can be put on the back burner as NEVER MIND as well ..

Looks like both sides have the other right where they want them, and whose War Chest will run out sooner and who blinks first ..

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
petrobruin said:
I hope that the owners stay strong and lock out players again,until they have a cap tied to revenue

This is amusing. The PA put forth a concept at the last meeting before yesterday that included a cap tied to revenue...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
WrightOn said:
Oh, come on, Egil, let him misguide his anger.
He is adamant about it.
Actully this is the better move by the NHL ..

Replacement players was never going to work and was only going to blow up and give all the leverage to the NHLPA ..

Bettman made a huge mistake using that idle threat as it did not have its desired outcome ..

A stronger postion is a continued lockout and threat of more of the same by the NHL .. That will have a bigger impact on the players then anything else .. IMO

Time is quickly coming for the players to decide to commit to Europe for next year or other options or test player solidarity.

nikolai19

Jan 5, 2003
Corona, CA
myspace.com
They all agreed...Anwar should be sent home tonight.

From what Lites said, it sounds like they have a workable concept. Personally, Jacobs sounds like a cringy old ******* and won't happy with anything that is settled.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
So heres my take:

When I heard that Gary said what he said, that there would be no season next year if theres no CBA and that replacements are off the table. I think this is nothing but bad bad bad. Why? Because theyve given leverage to the players where there was none. Now, the players can sit back and watch Gary destroy another year, whereas replacements would have forced the issue one way or the other.

Just the stupidest move in the universe.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The players had the ball in their court since the season was cancelled anyway. They're not losing any money right now, they can afford to wait. I'm not defending that idea, they should do a deal ASAP, but this is the truth of collective bargaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->