News Article: News from Around the League - Part XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwidevil

I would be impressed if they left a few guys in their minors for a bit and signed some veteran D. Or traded down from 3 #1 picks to sure up the D.

Instead they just sign the medias offensive dream and throw them in a pond hockey team in the NHL.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Haha didn't Gretzky, and a bunch of other guys call up Schultz to tell him to choose Edmonton? Can you imagine what that call was like?

''Take it from me it's a great organization! So great they gave me statue outside the building! It's a great place to play! Not sure what it's like there now.... I mean it's great there now still! And I won a bunch of Cups there 25-30 years ago so yeah you'll enjoy it there! Do the organization some pride!''

That's probably how it went too.

apice3*

Aside from that fluke SCF run they went on, when was the last time the Oilers were relevant? At least they can pride themselves on having the best ice quality in the league.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Aside from that fluke SCF run they went on, when was the last time the Oilers were relevant? At least they can pride themselves on having the best ice quality in the league.

They are now! Come on man they got their own show on NHL Network! You've never watched Oil Change?:laugh:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer
Ryan Whitney jokes "marijuana is legal in some places" when told of @adater pre-season rankings. Says just playoffs would be more realistic.

For his Sports Illustrated piece, Adrian Dater (Avs beat writer) put Edmonton at #3.

Whitney is correct, but can you imagine a Devil saying this? Lou would crucify him. The Cup is the goal every year.

Yeah the Oilers will have a sick group of forwards, but aside from this Schultz kid and his 0 games played and already one of the most hated players in the league, who do they have on D or in net?

Well, Whitney himself, but I agree with you. Nobody is winning a Cup with Dubnyk, and their defence is crap, despite Oilers fans' best efforts to convince me otherwise on the trade board. One of them even said that Greene and Tallinder would have to fight to be seventh defencemen on the Oilers. Delusional.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I know I'm probably stirring up a hornet's nest, but I personally thought this was hilarious...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/186405021.html?refer=y

"It was my best years in the league," Rolston said. "I loved playing for Jacques [Lemaire]. He was the best coach of my career. And to play in front of those fans, they were incredible.

"I was just texting with [former New Jersey teammate] Zach [Parise]. He will so love playing there, just the energy in the building compared to what he's used to."

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I'm sorry but any Devils fan that is mad at that quote is probably the same people who sit on their hands and watch the game like it's a chess match. I've been to enough soccer matches where I know how important the crowd is for a team.

It's up to US to change the perception. Really... what do we have to lose? It would help make the building harder for an opponent to play in... and a loud and crazy atmosphere is something that would actually ATTRACT high profile free agents. You don't think the players text eachother and talk about this stuff constantly?

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
He was taking an unnecessary shot at the Devils and their fans, so I see the reason to be pissed at what he said.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
He was taking an unnecessary shot at the Devils and their fans, so I see the reason to be pissed at what he said.

I'm usually the guy to get defensive and defend anything Devils related... but I hope more comments like this are made so the Rock can stop being treated like a place most of us go to take their after-work nap.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I'm sorry but any Devils fan that is mad at that quote is probably the same people who sit on their hands and watch the game like it's a chess match. I've been to enough soccer matches where I know how important the crowd is for a team.

It's up to US to change the perception. Really... what do we have to lose? It would help make the building harder for an opponent to play in... and a loud and crazy atmosphere is something that would actually ATTRACT high profile free agents. You don't think the players text eachother and talk about this stuff constantly?

did you watch last season? did you watch the playoffs? i was so damn proud of my fellow devils fans in attendance. the atmosphere (especially against the rangers) was ****ing insane.

rolston just became a dbag in my book. wheres keyboard cat to play this tookie looking knuckle ****er offstage?

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I'm usually the guy to get defensive and defend anything Devils related... but I hope more comments like this are made so the Rock can stop being treated like a place most of us go to take their after-work nap.

You make it sound like we're a library.
I've been to a bunch of different arenas and the atmosphere is just as great as it is around the league. We just don't have the numbers yet. Even O6 arenas like MSG or the Joe... things always are a bit more hushed from after the first minute to the time where goals start being scored in either direction.

Canadian arenas are obviously a bit different, but that's to be expected.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It is hilarious, he should just be happy he wasn't in Philly putting up 15 goals a year for $5 million, they wouldn't have been as 'subdued' about it.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Seriously, what a total ******.

"It was my best years in the league," Rolston said. "I loved playing for Jacques [Lemaire]. He was the best coach of my career. And to play in front of those fans, they were incredible.

"I was just texting with [former New Jersey teammate] Zach [Parise]. He will so love playing there, just the energy in the building compared to what he's used to."

He played for Pat Burns in Boston.

Could care less about everything else.

ILikeItVeryMuch*

The Rock was loud and sold out from April to June last season, what was the atmosphere like in Minnesota in April, May and June last season?

That's right.

As for Rolston's quote.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
did you watch last season? did you watch the playoffs? i was so damn proud of my fellow devils fans in attendance. the atmosphere (especially against the rangers) was ****ing insane.

rolston just became a dbag in my book. wheres keyboard cat to play this tookie looking knuckle ****er offstage?

The playoffs were awesome. I was definitely proud of us... but the regular season was business as usual. If the team is down a goal, the place is so quiet I could have whisper conversations with the people next to me.

ILikeItVeryMuch*

If you cant recognize how great the crowd has been during the last two seasons, I dont know what to tell you.

And as for soccer, nothing happens on the field so you better believe the fans have to sing songs and drink.

ILikeItVeryMuch*

The playoffs were awesome. I was definitely proud of us... but the regular season was business as usual. If the team is down a goal, the place is so quiet I could have whisper conversations with the people next to me.

Welcome to any arena in the NHL.

And that Canadian perception is nonsense, at least in Toronto. I loved the ACC but that place was as electric as a wooden chair, even with every seat full. I would take 15,000 of us any day over their usual crowd.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
If you cant recognize how great the crowd has been during the last two seasons, I dont know what to tell you.

And as for soccer, nothing happens on the field so you better believe the fans have to sing songs and drink.

Your second point is just stupid. It's an amazing sport that's much more exciting and faster in person as opposed to on television.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey

And that Canadian perception is nonsense, at least in Toronto. I loved the ACC but that place was as electric as a wooden chair, even with every seat full. I would take 15,000 of us any day over their usual crowd.

Toronto's a different story. It's comparable with MSG, there's just way too much corporate presence and tourists to create the kind of atmosphere that a place like Montreal does.
Ottawa's great too. I haven't been to games in Vancouver or Calgary enough to form an opinion.

Edmonton's a mixed bag. Since it's typically (or close to) a sellout, it's loud when they're winning. But I was there when the Hurricanes were putting a show on them last season and there were moments where I forgot I was at a hockey game.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ

Toronto fans even complain about it... the amount of corporate suits in the lower level make it quiet.

I've been going to at least 20 home games per year so I know exactly how our crowd is. This past playoffs it's the best it's ever been... but distinctly remember having a whole row to myself in the balcony game 1 of the Devils/Flyers series in 2010... .and there are way too many nights where it's a weeknight and the Devils and the Devils announce 14 k attendance but MAYBE it's 11k... me and some friends I can shout to across the building.

GM17*

I was in Toronto for a Montreal game and it was INSANITY. never seen anything like it until I went to a Toronto FC game

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Toronto fans even complain about it... the amount of corporate suits in the lower level make it quiet.

I've been going to at least 20 home games per year so I know exactly how our crowd is. This past playoffs it's the best it's ever been... but distinctly remember having a whole row to myself in the balcony game 1 of the Devils/Flyers series in 2010... .and there are way too many nights where it's a weeknight and the Devils and the Devils announce 14 k attendance but MAYBE it's 11k... me and some friends I can shout to across the building.

What are you comparing it to though? Soccer or other teams in the league?
Because hockey fans will never be like soccer fans, no matter what arena you're in.
From personal experience, the only thing holding us back are numbers. And that's soon to change.

I was in Toronto for a Montreal game and it was INSANITY. never seen anything like it until I went to a Toronto FC game

I wouldn't doubt that. I never get to go to those games.
I get tickets from my clients up there, so we only get to go to non-rivalry weeknight games. Waiting to be up there the same time as the Devils.. just once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad