News From Around the League Part XLVIII - FREE AGENT NOT-MUCH-FRENZY Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainGoat

solid deals for the Isles. Bruins fans must be livid to lose Boychuk for that return

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Not really - your view just doesn't hold water. Boychuk is very underrated if you think he isn't worth a 2 - 2nd round picks (1 this and 1 next year) and a conditional 3rd. He is going to play 22+ minutes.

for 1 season and then probably walk.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
for 1 season and then probably walk.

That's what everyone said about Halak and a couple of the other guys people assumed the Isles couldn't sign but did. They're not going to be playing in the dump after this year either, that was one reason FA's ran away from them screaming in the past.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
and once again the Isles will be the 'next big thing' and do absolutely nothing

They may actually live up to the HFDevils board hype this year now that they have a real NHL defense/goaltending combo :help:

NHL Fanatik*

This isn't good for NJ. If all the kids don't pan out this year on D, we will have worse defense than the Islanders.

Wow, just typing that hurt.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Good moves for the Isles, but I'll believe they're a threat when I actually see it. Improving on paper is one thing. Improving on the ice is another.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Great moves all around.

Isles deal from a position of strength to bolster their D. Chicago and Boston move some salary and restock their shelves.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
That's what everyone said about Halak and a couple of the other guys people assumed the Isles couldn't sign but did. They're not going to be playing in the dump after this year either, that was one reason FA's ran away from them screaming in the past.

No, they are just going to be playing in arena where they have to take out the lower bowl to even fit the rink. I don't think Brooklyn is going to be this panacea Islander fans think it will be.

That said if they win they will be able to keep players. If they are even a bubble team he probably walks.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
all the Isle's need now is a real coach

Captain Jack better be renting instead of buying. If they go even 4-5-1 out of the gate he might be gone.

No, they are just going to be playing in arena where they have to take out the lower bowl to even fit the rink. I don't think Brooklyn is going to be this panacea Islander fans think it will be.

That said if they win they will be able to keep players. If they are even a bubble team he probably walks.

The other thing is they actually have money to pay players now that they won't have Wang looking around in his pockets for anything besides dust and magic beans. New ownership AND a new building (even if it's not optimum for hockey) is going to help them keep players. They weren't keeping players even when they were offering 10-20% more than anyone else, it was an Edmonton-like destination.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Captain Jack better be renting instead of buying. If they go even 4-5-1 out of the gate he might be gone.

yeah, and it might take 10-15 games for all the new players they got to start jelling
I think the team could be OK, but not sure about Capt-Jack
wonder if Bylsma could be hired if Jack gets the ax

Deleted member 28548

Great moves by Garth Snow. Would be really surprised to see them miss the playoffs this season.

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
you can't LTIR someone until the season starts. so they have to be compliant before then.

yes. hes not that good. probably a #4/5

if Boston had offered two 2nds + for Fayne last offseason I would've done it in a heartbeat. and Fayne is a better player.

I can appreciate your passion but when you make these statements you just lose credibility. Fayne is no where near the better player. I will agree with you on one thing, if anyone offered two 2nds for Fayne I would've jumped all over that as well.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Islanders look pretty damn good on paper, best team they've iced in a long while. They got Grabovski, Kulemin, Okposo, Tavares as the top guys up front, Leddy, Hamonic, Visnovsky, Boychuck on the back end - they'll be in the playoffs.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Isles are now just in the pack of Metro teams along with us Philly Columbus and Washington going for that last spot and a wild card.
Sounds like they only gave up scrubs so the leddy deal is good. Don't like that boychuk deal. They don't draft this year and will be to close to a playoff spot to sell to get it back.

Could bite them in the ass for not a big upgrade.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I can appreciate your passion but when you make these statements you just lose credibility. Fayne is no where near the better player. I will agree with you on one thing, if anyone offered two 2nds for Fayne I would've jumped all over that as well.

they are at the VERY least equal players.

sorry,y ou are not going to convince me that Boychuk is SO much better. never.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->