News From Around the League, Part XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I'd trade Schneider in a flash for a up and coming forward. Goaltenders are easy to find and we'd benefit way more going forward with a young stud forward and a ok netminder then the other way around IMO.

Just look at what Andersen is doing in Anaheim. He was drafted by the Canes in the 7th round and was re-drafted by the ducks 2 years later. He's a great story and it doesn't happen every year but there's more goaltenders that do turn out like Andersen then there are forwards.
No they really aren't. Ask the Flyers, Oilers, and Islanders about that.

Besides for the Red Wings, I can't remember the last team that has won anything with an "OK" netminder. That philosophy rarely works unless you have an unbelievably good forward group.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Besides for the Red Wings, I can't remember the last team that has won anything with an "OK" netminder. That philosophy rarely works.

Actually, those teams are just too dumb to acquire a above average netminder. Guys like Mason or Emery aren't the answer and Dubnyk is hot garbage.

apice3*

Besides for the Red Wings, I can't remember the last team that has won anything with an "OK" netminder. That philosophy rarely works unless you have an unbelievably good forward group.

Fleury, Niemi (at the time), Crawford, and Osgood were all OK goalies when they won the Cup. They all got hot at the right time.

You can find a decent goalie anywhere just by accident. Mason is playing well this year, Bryzgalov just fell into the Oilers laps and really isn't as bad as some people make him out to be, and Kevin Poulin might be the goalie of the future for the Isles.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Fleury, Niemi (at the time), Crawford, and Osgood were all OK goalies when they won the Cup. They all got hot at the right time.

You can find a decent goalie anywhere just by accident. Mason is playing well this year, Bryzgalov just fell into the Oilers laps and really isn't as bad as some people make him out to be, and Kevin Poulin might be the goalie of the future for the Isles.

This.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Fleury, Niemi (at the time), Crawford, and Osgood were all OK goalies when they won the Cup. They all got hot at the right time

And all those teams - Pittsburgh, Chicago, Detroit - fit in the 'unbelievably good forward group' category. We can't afford to skimp on goaltender and pray/hope we find a guy that gets randomly hot with our forward group and the current lack of a true dominant defenseman (a la Pronger when the Flyers - who also had a terrific forward group - made their run with AHL guys in net).

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I remember him! :laugh: One of those random guys I'd get in any trading card pack.

If I recall correctly, his dad was a sports psychologist. Jason was drafted in the first round, but his dad made him sit through the entire Draft. Apparently his dad wanted him to witness other kids not get drafted and see their reactions so that he wouldn't take his opportunity for granted.

Injuries curtailed his playing career, but he's reputedly done good work behind the scenes.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013

Up front, I'm a Blackhawks fan, in the military and stationed in New York. Came to your boards looking for some info since I am going to the game on the 4th of Jan and I saw this thread.

I disagree with labeling Crawford an OK goalie. He is above average. He was in the top ten last year in all the important goalie categorys, save percentage, goals against average. His wins were not as high as some, but he also split alot of time with Emery, who was pretty damn good last year too.

The other thing is Crawford should have been the MVP of the playoffs last year. He did have a couple of bad games but was solid the entire time while Kane was cold alot and came on strong at the end.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Up front, I'm a Blackhawks fan, in the military and stationed in New York. Came to your boards looking for some info since I am going to the game on the 4th of Jan and I saw this thread.

I disagree with labeling Crawford an OK goalie. He is above average. He was in the top ten last year in all the important goalie categorys, save percentage, goals against average. His wins were not as high as some, but he also split alot of time with Emery, who was pretty damn good last year too.

The other thing is Crawford should have been the MVP of the playoffs last year. He did have a couple of bad games but was solid the entire time while Kane was cold alot and came on strong at the end.

Crawford was robbed in favor of giving it to the flashy kid. I thought he deserved it too.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
posted on the mainboard about the Oilers having the worst timed 3-straight first picks

and it got me thinking, what would be the best?

Fleury - Ovi - Crosby?

Kane - Stamkos - Tavares?

Stamkos - Tavares - Hall?

or something else

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
posted on the mainboard about the Oilers having the worst timed 3-straight first picks

and it got me thinking, what would be the best?

Fleury - Ovi - Crosby?

Kane - Stamkos - Tavares?

Stamkos - Tavares - Hall?

or something else

Ovi - Crosby - Johnson or Fleury.

As great as Stamkos has been people seem to forget how much better Ovie was at 20. 52 goals 54 assists on a team that scored 237 goals.

Kensu

Nov 1, 2011
New York City
@DarrenDreger: Oilers offered three 2nd round picks for Braydon Coburn at the Draft and couldn't close the deal. Trades in season are much harder to make.

and then supposedly on the radio Craig MacTavish was ready to deal a top 3 pick this year and the said the last thing Edmonton needs is an 18 year old.

the asking price: a defencemen on or just coming off entry-level contract..

kind of interesting.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
@DarrenDreger: Oilers offered three 2nd round picks for Braydon Coburn at the Draft and couldn't close the deal. Trades in season are much harder to make.

and then supposedly on the radio Craig MacTavish was ready to deal a top 3 pick this year and the said the last thing Edmonton needs is an 18 year old.

the asking price: a defencemen on or just coming off entry-level contract..

kind of interesting.

MacTavish is straight Pejorative Slured for even considering those deals. Coburn is at best an average defenseman.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Craig likely has brain damage anyway. He was the only guy who didn't wear a helmet for like 15 years. He was in the league before heltmets became mandatory and was grandfathered from that rule.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Craig likely has brain damage anyway. He was the only guy who didn't wear a helmet for like 15 years. He was in the league before heltmets became mandatory and was grandfathered from that rule.

Well Harrold played 28 minutes last game. Sooo Lou will just tell him he is an elite #1 Dman

and Boom 1st round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->