News From Around the League, Part XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Yak >>>>>> Gionta, Teddy, and Josefsson.

I think a skilled goal scorer is exactly what this system needs. Last season was a fluke for Kovy. He had a 6% shooting percentage for 5on5 play. The previous season it was 10. The 5 year average was like 15%.

You are looking at this in a vacuum and I don't think you should be. You're translating Yak's numbers into this system seamlessly. You shouldn't be.

Not only that but I think it's pretty clear that Josefson/Gionta fit this system better than Yak. So Pete will likely play them over Yak should Yak decide to struggle.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
You are looking at this in a vacuum and I don't think you should be. You're translating Yak's numbers into this system seamlessly. You shouldn't be.

Not only that but I think it's pretty clear that Josefson/Gionta fit this system better than Yak. So Pete will likely play them over Yak should Yak decide to struggle.

Gionta and Josefson have no shooting ability. They are also 4th line centers. And I don't know what Yak's numbers will be in this system. Maybe it fits like a glove who the yeck knows.

There is zero chance Lou lets Pete sit Yak if he trades for him. There is a reason he was drafted #1 overall.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Gionta and Josefson have no shooting ability. They are also 4th line centers. And I don't know what Yak's numbers will be in this system. Maybe it fits like a glove who the yeck knows.

There is zero chance Lou lets Pete sit Yak if he trades for him. There is a reason he was drafted #1 overall.

I honestly think we have to just agree to disagree or we're going to go on this tangent for the next 30 pages :laugh:.

You have a load of faith in Pete to say "there is a zero chance Lou lets Pete sit Yak." I understand there's a reason Yak went first overall. There's also a reason Larsson was projected to go first overall for a long long time.

Pete doesn't care. If you mess up, you're benched for someone who he feels won't mess up as much. Josefson and Gionta are built for his system far better than a guy who is hesitant to forecheck.

This is like fitting a square peg into a round hole.

You have to look at this practically. If Yak ever struggled he would sit. Just like Larsson did. There was a time where Larsson/Yak were hand-in-hand value wise. Didn't stop Pete from sitting Adam.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
The difference between Yakupov and Larsson is that Yakupov (if happy and correctly utilized) is a game breaker and can be the difference in turning a loss into a win. I would 100% absolutely trade for him.

Yakupov-Zajac-Jagr
Elias-Henrique-Ryder
Zubrus-Loktionov-Brunner
Clowe-Josefson-Bernier

Sign me the heck up.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
The difference between Yakupov and Larsson is that Yakupov (if happy and correctly utilized) is a game breaker and can be the difference in turning a loss into a win. I would 100% absolutely trade for him.

Yakupov-Zajac-Jagr
Elias-Henrique-Ryder
Zubrus-Loktionov-Brunner
Clowe-Josefson-Bernier

Sign me the heck up.

Who are you trading to make that lineup happen?

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Who are you trading to make that lineup happen?

I would trade any combo of Josefson (slot Gionta back to fourth line), Tedenby, Severson, Boucher, Matteau, Fayne, and pick a draft pick any draft pick. Hell I would trade Merrill and have a hard time saying no if they wanted Larsson. Point is, the Devils are not going to have the opportunity any time soon to get a dynamic game changing offensive prospect. I don't think the Oilers are realistic if they think they would get a guy like Henrique who is signed long term and already established in exchange for a prospect forward (albeit with ridiculous upside). Plus some of you paranoid McCarthy-ists think he's just going to bolt back to Russia when his deal is up next season anyway.

I would offer Fayne, Josefson, 2nd 2014, 1st 2015 for him.

downtown56

Mar 5, 2008
@TBNbucky: Now hearing that Darcy and Rolston are out, LaFontaine in and possibly Ted Nolan returning as coach.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Does anyone else have the "GameCenter" app on their iPhone? I have a heart attack every single time I get an alert (received a few alerts re: Sabres).

Reason for the heart attack? When I saw Kovy retired.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I would trade any combo of Josefson (slot Gionta back to fourth line), Tedenby, Severson, Boucher, Matteau, Fayne, and pick a draft pick any draft pick. Hell I would trade Merrill and have a hard time saying no if they wanted Larsson. Point is, the Devils are not going to have the opportunity any time soon to get a dynamic game changing offensive prospect. I don't think the Oilers are realistic if they think they would get a guy like Henrique who is signed long term and already established in exchange for a prospect forward (albeit with ridiculous upside). Plus some of you paranoid McCarthy-ists think he's just going to bolt back to Russia when his deal is up next season anyway.

I would offer Fayne, Josefson, 2nd 2014, 1st 2015 for him.

I don't know what Edmonton would ask in return for Yakupov, but I can tell you right now that if they asked for Henrique+, I wouldn't think twice.

Adam is a good hockey player but he isn't a game breaker. We don't have a player that can change a game with one single shot anymore and when your best point producer is a 41 year old player, that's a pretty obvious sign that we'll need help up front sooner rather then later.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Trading Adam Henrique would have an immediate negative impact on this team's present and its immediate future. Fan morale would plummet, not among the diehards who know Yak's potential, but among the rest of the fans who have associate Henrique with our most recent Cup run.

And then you run the risk of Yak going to Russia or something or failing to adjust here.

Henrique is off limits.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Trading Adam Henrique would have an immediate negative impact on this team's present and its immediate future. Fan morale would plummet, not among the diehards who know Yak's potential, but among the rest of the fans who have associate Henrique with our most recent Cup run.

And then you run the risk of Yak going to Russia or something or failing to adjust here.

Henrique is off limits.

I hope your not serious with that comment :huh:

Fan morale would plummet? What does that even mean? We lost Parise and Kovalchuk who had way more to do with our cup run and both of those players aren't on our team anymore. Henrique is known for that OT winner that eliminated the Rangers and that's it. You make it sound like he carried this team threw 4 rounds, finished at the top of point leaders when all was said and done and if it wasn't for him, we won't of went to the cup finals. Our 4th line carried our team threw several rounds and yet, everyone wants to dump Gionta in Albany.

We had a good, no, great cup run... now, let's move on and stop thinking with our hearts for a second. Yakupov has 10x the upside of someone like Adam and it would be nothing short of a steal if we can actually get Yakupov for that return.

The argument about him bolting to Russia is nothing else but paranoya on the part of several posters on our board. Like I've been saying since day #1, Kovy bolted cause he could earn the same amount of cash we were throwing his way, 3 times faster and he'd be greated as a "god" by the public, media, etc, etc, etc.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I hope your not serious with that comment :huh:

Fan morale would plummet? What does that even mean? We lost Parise and Kovalchuk who had way more to do with our cup run and both of those players aren't on our team anymore. Henrique is known for that OT winner that eliminated the Rangers and that's it. You make it sound like he carried this team threw 4 rounds, finished at the top of point leaders when all was said and done and if it wasn't for him, we won't of went to the cup finals. Our 4th line carried our team threw several rounds and yet, everyone wants to dump Gionta in Albany.

We had a good, no, great cup run... now, let's move on and stop thinking with our hearts for a second. Yakupov has 10x the upside of someone like Adam and it would be nothing short of a steal if we can actually get Yakupov for that return.

The argument about him bolting to Russia is nothing else but paranoya on the part of several posters on our board. Like I've been saying since day #1, Kovy bolted cause he could earn the same amount of cash we were throwing his way, 3 times faster and he'd be greated as a "god" by the public, media, etc, etc, etc.

I think when you're barely welcoming 13,000 fans in the arena you need to think about the repercussion of trading a fan favorite for a guy who isn't a sure thing. If you're talking Henrique for Stamkos, I listen. If you're talking Henrique for Kessel? I listen. But Henrique for a 20 year old with a reputation for playing bad defense and best known for making awful quotes to the media? No thank you.

The casual fans who go to the games and can't name the coaching staff - those fans will riot. Those fans will stop showing up. Similarly to the casual fans who disappeared after Parise left and Kovy left. Fans needs a reason to come out. Henrique is a big big reason. Like it or not.

What happens when you trade a fan favorite for a 20 year old kid who doesn't play defense? Now let's say that things don't go well and the KHL offers him a lot of money. Oh well. Lost another one, right?

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Henrique for Yak ???

Is that a joke .....

Absolutely not.

I can understand that Kovalchuk bolting to Russia was probably the equivalent of getting kicked in the balls while watching the same guy who stomped your grapes, walk away with your girlfriend.... but you have to get over it.

You're waiving the white flag on a 20 year old kid who played a whopping 65 games at the NHL level, right out of juniors.

Talk about premature comments right there :facepalm:

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I think when you're barely welcoming 13,000 fans in the arena you need to think about the repercussion of trading a fan favorite for a guy who isn't a sure thing. If you're talking Henrique for Stamkos, I listen. If you're talking Henrique for Kessel? I listen. But Henrique for a 20 year old with a reputation for playing bad defense and best known for making awful quotes to the media? No thank you.

The casual fans who go to the games and can't name the coaching staff - those fans will riot. Those fans will stop showing up. Similarly to the casual fans who disappeared after Parise left and Kovy left. Fans needs a reason to come out. Henrique is a big big reason. Like it or not.

What happens when you trade a fan favorite for a 20 year old kid who doesn't play defense? Now let's say that things don't go well and the KHL offers him a lot of money. Oh well. Lost another one, right?

I have two points to make...

1st point:

Fans show up to see a winning product, period. If we dressed 20 Cam Janssen's and we'd finish at the top of the standings, we'd have a full house each and every game. It doesn't matter who's on the ice, as long as the team wins... the fans will show up.

Kovalchuk couldn't save the Thrashers, yet, he was probably the best athlete representing that city and that included the Braves, the Hawks and the Falcons.

2nd point:

Are we going to turn the page with that notion that every Russian will want to bolt back home for whatever reason? Where's Malkin, Ovechkin, Datsyuk, etc, etc, etc... the only reason he went back home, like I said multiple times, is that he was offered the same amount of cash we did... 3x faster, period.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The only people who know who Adam Henrique is, also know the potential of Yaks. Trading Henrique does nothing to ticket sales.

But it would take much more then Henrique to get that done. Henrique and Merrill is probably a fair deal. I'd say no to that. In general I don't think Henrique has the trade value that would make me interested in trading him.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I have two points to make...

1st point:

Fans show up to see a winning product, period. If we dressed 20 Cam Janssen's and we'd finish at the top of the standings, we'd have a full house each and every game. It doesn't matter who's on the ice, as long as the team wins... the fans will show up.

Kovalchuk couldn't save the Thrashers, yet, he was probably the best athlete representing that city and that included the Braves, the Hawks and the Falcons.

2nd point:

Are we going to turn the page with that notion that every Russian will want to bolt back home for whatever reason? Where's Malkin, Ovechkin, Datsyuk, etc, etc, etc... the only reason he went back home, like I said multiple times, is that he was offered the same amount of cash we did... 3x faster, period.

And he actually wants his family to live Russia. The guys is extremely patriotic.

It is crazy how overvalued Henrique is on these boards. He is playing just as bad as he was last season for us. If only he was Russian..

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The argument about him bolting to Russia is nothing else but paranoya on the part of several posters on our board. Like I've been saying since day #1, Kovy bolted cause he could earn the same amount of cash we were throwing his way, 3 times faster

And that doesn't apply to Yakupov and any other Russian player? Funny how you guys all leave Radulov out of your arguments, and only argue the Kovalchuk circumstances. Christ, Loiktionov could have gotten five times as much as he got here and didn't bolt - but with Yakupov's 'personality' he's a bigger flight risk, so to speak.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Let's see if these guys stay or not after the Olympics. The carrot of Sochi is enough to keep the other big-name Russians (who WERE talking about bolting during the lockout if you believe Larry Brooks) in line, since their GM's almost to a man would toll the contracts to prevent them leaving and being eligible for the Olympics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad