News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2020-21 Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I felt our game today was pretty intense but this Florida/TBL game is at another level .. this is fun hockey .. I know fans of both teams have wanted this series for a long time but this has to even exceed those expectations. I am definitely going to watch as much of this series as I can.. great talent, great intensity with an edge

Edit: didnt see the 10 other posts saying almost the same thing before I posted this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2ndGenIslander

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I find myself rooting for Florida , if for no other reason, the cap circumvention of having a $98.8M team for game one of the playoffs when the cap is $81.5M at the end of the regular season.

Maybe we can find some injured UFAs after the season and offer them big contracts but tell them they can just sit on LTIR all regular season , get paid, just be ready for game 1 of the playoffs. Hey Anders take another 6 months off, play some golf, take your time rehabbing next year, just be ready for the 2022 playoffs and we will use your cap room to pay our RFAs .. ( I know it is not that easy but there are many holes in this system, and this cant be the intent of the rules)

GOLFWANG

Jul 20, 2007
watching these two other games just remind me that this Carter Verhaeghe guy is quite a story moving from team to team now playing decent minutes for the Panthers.

Also seeing Jared Spurgeon every time I see him on tv just wondering what didn't we see in this guy to let him go so easily.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
So is it complete bull**** or is it just me that the lightening are way over the cap? The beat part of this is they were in complete cap hell this offseason until they made this move. They were gonna have to trade or let go of serious talent. Instead Kuch just gets added to a loaded tampa team? Impossible to root for them when they are spending way more than allowable. If your on LTIR it should be for the year otherwise it should count against the cap.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Who is glad we did not sign Bobrovsky? I cannot imagine Sorokin doesnt save some of those shots

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
What a game. I think Tampa will win the series pretty easily – solely on their experience. You can't give so much PP time to Kucherov, Point, and Hedman.

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
Florida is learning the hard way like the isles...can’t give the lightning the power play

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Florida is learning the hard way like the isles...can’t give the lightning the power play

Honestly it was TPA's PP that did them in a bit against the Isles. They had two games with those 4 minute PPs at the end and could not score, one they went on to lose, the other they nearly lost too

road islander

Sep 16, 2019
West Warwick, RI
So is it complete bull**** or is it just me that the lightening are way over the cap? The beat part of this is they were in complete cap hell this offseason until they made this move. They were gonna have to trade or let go of serious talent. Instead Kuch just gets added to a loaded tampa team? Impossible to root for them when they are spending way more than allowable. If your on LTIR it should be for the year otherwise it should count against the cap.
You're upset because they found a way to manipulate the cap in their favor? I'm pretty sure that's in the GM's job description. And frankly, all we ever do here is discuss ways to ship Ladd to Lou's Island. And then take it a little further, let's say JB's eye injury happened to Pelech. Provided the Isles were still good enough to make the playoffs without him, you wouldn't have LTIRed him, bolstered your lineup then and brought him back for the playoffs if that's what the rules allow for? I know I would. I agree that the rules are nuts but until they change I wish Lou could find a way to be $18M over the cap creative around here. I'm sure it's not for lack of trying. Are you saying you wouldn't?

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
You're upset because they found a way to manipulate the cap in their favor? I'm pretty sure that's in the GM's job description. And frankly, all we ever do here is discuss ways to ship Ladd to Lou's Island. And then take it a little further, let's say JB's eye injury happened to Pelech. Provided the Isles were still good enough to make the playoffs without him, you wouldn't have LTIRed him, bolstered your lineup then and brought him back for the playoffs if that's what the rules allow for? I know I would. I agree that the rules are nuts but until they change I wish Lou could find a way to be $18M over the cap creative around here. I'm sure it's not for lack of trying. Are you saying you wouldn't?

Tampa's cap circumvention goes FAR BEYOND the norm and what most teams have done in the past. It is right up there with Chicago and how Kane returned for the playoffs and Hossa got "the itchies" about five years ago.

Players like Robidas, Dubinsky, Callahan, Boychuk, etc. suffered legit, career ending injuries. They were checked out by independent doctors in the off season and (presumably) vetted by insurance. Even Lupul, who tried to maintain he could still play, was checked out, independently deemed unfit to play and quickly retracted his complaints.

These are the types of players that LTIR was designed for, especially a player like Boychuk. His lack of vision, which is apparently permanent, or else he would have returned at some point. The crushing hit and resulting injury in the playoffs, which JB should have easily seen coming, means he simply can't protect himself on the ice.

Tampa is horrifically skirting the rules, just enough in the grey area, to stay compliant.

They initially shopped around contracts like Tyler Johnson in the off season and quickly realized they did not want to pay the freight to offload a contract like that now. I assume it would have taken at least a first rounder and a truckload more.

Instead, they worked out a shady, backroom deal with Kucherov to delay his necessary surgery by months. I believe they waited three extra months, just to make sure that the timing of his return would be close to the end of the season.

That is the questionable aspect of all of this. Waiting for him to have his surgery. I believe David Pastrnak had similar hip surgery, almost immediately, so he could be back for the regular season.

But let's be honest, Kuch still probably could have returned at least a couple weeks ago, however, the NHL and its brass clearly do not have the spine to launch a formal investigation in-season and distract from the playoffs.

If we see anything, it will be handled in the off season or down the line, be it with a fine and/or loss of draft picks. But I hope they at least look into this clear and flagrant violation of the usage of LTIR and something is done about it.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Wow, this TB FLA series is going to be a must watch. That first game was NASTY

Florida needs to (legally) hip check Kucherov at every opportunity. Don't do anything dumb and give Tampa power plays, but play a physical game and work over Stamkos and Kucherov cleanly and at every opportunity. Make them pay the price for every inch of ice.

CaptDenisPotvin

Jun 20, 2007

all Im saying is LTIR shouldnt count against the cap....and the player shouldnt be allowed to play another game that year (even playoffs) OR you dont put him on the list and he counts against the cap but you can play him as soon as hes healthy. You know like a logical rule that makes sense. I typically dont have any problem with Tampa but Ill be rooting against them all playoffs because they shouldnt have the team they currently have and they circumvented the cap to do it

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
all Im saying is LTIR shouldnt count against the cap....and the player shouldnt be allowed to play another game that year (even playoffs) OR you dont put him on the list and he counts against the cap but you can play him as soon as hes healthy. You know like a logical rule that makes sense. I typically dont have any problem with Tampa but Ill be rooting against them all playoffs because they shouldnt have the team they currently have and they circumvented the cap to do it
Let’s say the islanders make it to the conference finals, and Lee is miraculously ready to go, you don’t think he should be allowed back in?

Reactions: road islander

CaptDenisPotvin

Jun 20, 2007
Let’s say the islanders make it to the conference finals, and Lee is miraculously ready to go, you don’t think he should be allowed back in?

If hes on LTIR then no he shouldnt be able to. If you want it to be that way thats fine but the team should have to be cap compliant then. Im not sure what your missing here.....you got 82mill to spend on the team. LTIR should be used as cap relief for a team that loses a player FOR THE YEAR...he should NOT be allowed to come back that year even in the playoffs OR they should have to be able to get the team under 82mill with said player if you rather do it that way. The league should not be ok with a team being 17 mill over the cap and everyone playing....it’s unacceptable

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY

It may be splitting hairs, but I see the difference being that Lee's salary counted against the cap on day 1. He got hurt midseason, and had surgery right away.

Kuch, they apparently delayed his surgery, and Tampa played the whole season at the cap limit without him. As others have pointed out, he probably could have come back before the playoffs, but for obvious reasons didn't. They're in a division this year where even without him they finished with, what, 75 pts?

It is what it is, the league lets teams get away with it, so they'll exploit it. Until they crack down, sure, I'd like to see Lou use whatever loopholes he can, but I dont have to like it... call me a hypocrite :) I think with all of Lou's Robidas Island guys, they didnt come back for the playoffs?

Maybe they need some sort of rule that to be playoff eligible you have to play at least X number of regular season games? If Boychuk miraculously got his vision back, Id be fine with them saying he wouldnt be allowed to play in the playoffs if he didnt play any regular season games.

Reactions: eoin92

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
That disallowed goal for Florida looked extremely dubious???
Goalie interference is a mystery to me.

The goalies pad was pushed in order to make room for the puck to go in, you can't alter a goalie's position with physical contact like that.

I think that's the goal you're referring to, I've watched a lot of hockey the past 48 hours. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->