News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2019-20 Pt. VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslandersGER

Dec 29, 2015
Deutschland
I am glad that TBL got nearly the same treatment as they did us in game 1.
Hey, even ex Isles Blake Comeau now had an assist in a SCF game^^

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Is anybody else watching some of this game and thinking how is this the same team we played for 6 games. Suddenly Vasilevsky looks human if not below average. Point, Kucherov and Hedman have been invisible. And most of all, amazingly suddenly all of the bounces and breaks are not going Tampa's way. I refuse to believe it is because Dallas is THAT good.
Dallas is THAT good. They play a similar style to the Islanders, so they did a nice job of smothering Tampa's offense last night, just as we had done. They are getting terrific goaltending for Khudobin (first time he's ever played this well in his career,imo). Scoring from a total pro like Joe Pavelski (boy the Sharks f***ed that one up), and the Bolts also got a taste of what we did-facing a rested team while they only had 1 day off between series.

Repeat after me...good defense stops good offense.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I did, because they're cut from the same mold as the Islanders. Just with more offense from their D corps.

As we talked about earlier, the only reason I didn't give Dallas much of a chance in the playoffs was because I didn't think they were going to have enough offense from their defensemen to supplement their forwards, but they are getting it. That makes them a bad matchup for teams that are heavily offensive.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I think after Finals are done that having the season run into July isn't a death sentence for hockey's TV ratings at all. Might not be a bad thing just going against the MLB. Especially during the All Star Break when there are no other sports on TV to watch.

Reactions: CupHolders

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Dallas is THAT good. They play a similar style to the Islanders, so they did a nice job of smothering Tampa's offense last night, just as we had done. They are getting terrific goaltending for Khudobin (first time he's ever played this well in his career,imo). Scoring from a total pro like Joe Pavelski (boy the Sharks f***ed that one up), and the Bolts also got a taste of what we did-facing a rested team while they only had 1 day off between series.

Repeat after me...good defense stops good offense.
Vasilevsky never gave up 3 goals on 18 shots against us. It was more like 1-2 goals on 25-35 shots depending on the game. If he played against us like he did yesterday we would have WON that series in 6.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Vasilevsky never gave up 3 goals on 18 shots against us. It was more like 1-2 goals on 25-35 shots depending on the game. If he played against us like he did yesterday we would have WON that series in 6.

Dallas has a better group of forward than we do as well. If the Islanders had their forwards they would have won the series hands down.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
True.

Vasilevskiy wasn't any good last night. His team had 8 shots on goal through half the game. Not gonna win squat with an effort like that.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Dallas has a better group of forward than we do as well. If the Islanders had their forwards they would have won the series hands down.

The veteran forwards are on par. But Dallas has better goal scorers. But it’s their young guns that really tip the balance. Holy heck Gurianov... 110MPH powerplay one timer to clinch a series. That’s how you add an (!)

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
This seems to be the prevailing thought but I completely disagree with it. Jamie Benn, their second leading scorer had as many points as our 6th, yes SIXTH highest scoring forward. They get much more scoring from their defense. But this idea that they have a better group of forwards than us is absurd.
Seguin, Benn, Radulov, Pavelski and Gurianov
or
Barzal, Nelson, Lee, Eberle, Beauvillier, Bailey and Pageau
I take our group without second thought.

Let me also point out Seguin has 8 points in 21 playoff games. And people here complain about Barzal and Eberle underachieving.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This seems to be the prevailing thought but I completely disagree with it. Jamie Benn, their second leading scorer had as many points as our 6th, yes SIXTH highest scoring forward. They get much more scoring from their defense. But this idea that they have a better group of forwards than us is absurd.
or

Let me also point out Seguin has 8 points in 21 playoff games. And people here complain about Barzal and Eberle underachieving.
Seguin is on the downside of his career, Barzal is still on the upswing. I take our forwards now because they have age on their side. The Stars forward unit is an older unit but most had very accomplished careers.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Seguin is on the downside of his career, Barzal is still on the upswing. I take our forwards now because they have age on their side. The Stars forward unit is an older unit but most had very accomplished careers.
But that is my point. Everybody talks about how old our team is. But our forwards are younger and better and deeper than Dallas. After Seguin, their centers are Faksa and Pavelski. Compare that to Nelson and Pageau. It is not even close.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
But that is my point. Everybody talks about how old our team is. But our forwards are younger and better and deeper than Dallas. After Seguin, their centers are Faksa and Pavelski. Compare that to Nelson and Pageau. It is not even close.
Agreed. But in one series, in one playoff run, the Stars forwards are performing well, their goalie and D corps is lights out. So to build for the future I like our forwards.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Also that is why I don't get too alarmed about people who say the Islanders have an old team. The core of our team is going to be a bunch of guys who are under 30 years old, many are under 25...Barzal and Tito are both 23, Dobson is 20, Pulock, Pelech and Toews are 26 and still low mileage on their wheels. Bellows is 22 and Wahlstrom is 20. I think we're situated pretty well.

Our old team is skewed by some vets who are going to be off the payroll shortly-next year or 2. We need to have the roster turned over. Our core is just hitting prime years now.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I see that EDM is supposedly considering not qualifying Athanasiou and just letting him walk. They gave up two 2nd round draft picks for him at the TDL. We gave up a 2nd round pick and what turned out to be a pick at the end of the 1st round for JGP. EDM got virtually nothing out of AA, and we got a solid playoff run and 6 more years of JGP.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
or

Are you talking about the regular season? Jamie Benn has 18 points in 22 games in the playoffs this season. I guess we will see how the playoffs go with Dallas but the Islanders entire first line was essentially shut down by Tampa. Eberle, Lee, and Barzal did very little that series.

This is fine, but I do not think the Islanders have a better offense than Dallas. Keep in mind, offense means production from the defense as well. Isles don't really stack up nearly as well in that department.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Dallas may have the older group but that also means the more experienced group. Sometimes those experienced guys who are in their golden years of their careers know how to score when it matters. I am super impressed with Radulovs game, we don't have anyone quite like him.

Also can't overlook Gurianov, Hintz and Kiviranta. These guys can make the twine dance. They are not Johnston, Komarov, Dal Colle. Dallas has two stud defenders in Heskainen and Klingberg who get involved plus Oleksiak who is having a Matt Martin kind of postseason with 5 goals.

Dallas is not where they are by chance. They are a very good team and despite Seguins 8 points, he still commands respect and you have to play him like a superstar because he can still have a multi-point night if you don't respect his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad