News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2019-20 Pt. VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
We have to clear cap space that way too.
I'm sorta confused by this from Minnesota's perspective... they got the worse player and are paying more now, right? I don't get the benefit for them, unless it's tanking, which honestly might be the right move for them.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm sorta confused by this from Minnesota's perspective... they got the worse player and are paying more now, right? I don't get the benefit for them, unless it's tanking, which honestly might be the right move for them.

Haven't checked, but maybe a buyout scenario where it saves the cap and/or real dollars verses buying out Staal?

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
With respect to Guerin trading Staal to Buffalo, it seems like the GM is sending a shot across the bow to the rest of the team and their culture.

I can't say if it is right or wrong for the Wild but, in the past, they have seemed like a team comfortable with mediocrity.

In terms of talent, this trade is probably a win for Buffalo, assuming Staal doesn't pull a Brian Rolston/Kirk Muller.

The better question is, why didn't Staal have Buffalo on his no-trade list? I bet a few players and agents are making sure their list is up-to-date tonight, lol.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Only thing I can figure is if they think mojo might fit into their plans beyond next season and have already decided Staal doesn't. This way, they can give him a partial season tryout essentially to see if a change of scenery/usage/linemates can get him back to a 50ish point player they might want to sign, and if so get a head start on doing so.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
We can opine about trading Eberle but I am damn happy they have him. He has a knack for scoring big goals in big games and the remaining games can only get bigger. He is worth every cent IMO.
I feel like the weight of the world was lifted off him with that goal. Hopefully we see a rejuvenated top line tonight

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
We can opine about trading Eberle but I am damn happy they have him. He has a knack for scoring big goals in big games and the remaining games can only get bigger. He is worth every cent IMO.

Oh, c'mon. I am happy for both Ebs and the isles, that he scored such a huge goal.

But, he had 1 goal in his previous 15 playoff games.ONE.
He is not " worth every cent".

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island

as per cap friendly he has a NTC. so we can opine all we want. He can be exposed to the expansion draft but Eberle, Nelson, JGP, Lee and Varly have NTC while Ladd, Boychuk and Leo have modified no trade clauses.

Edit: checked and Eberle, Nelson and JGP's all change to a Modified NTC after next season with 16 teams on their lists (I always thought most were 8)

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
He's been a mess lately but there is a reason why he got an extension. I'm on the "hopefully this shakes off his yips" boat.

Reactions: xECK29x

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
He scored the biggest islander goal in 3 decades. Right now that’s all I care about.

I guess? The world isn't that black and white. He can score a big goal and also be a major liability everywhere else. We are allowed to care about nuance and discuss it. By your logic, we should have signed Alan Quine to an extension.

He hasn't just been snakebitten. He's been soft as tissue everywhere, the puck often dies on his stick, and he's been flubbing passes and shots. Couple that with going ice cold in the one department we need him in, and there's reason for criticism.

He's playing with Barzal and gets chance after chance after chance to get open and make something happen. Technically, this guy should be the best goal scoring winger on the team given his linemate, his OZ stats, and the fact that he doesn't do shit anywhere else like PK, hit, create offense himself, or forecheck hard.

If you want to categorize Eberle, that's exactly what he is: a goalscoring winger. And he ain't scoring enough goals. Think through other goal scoring wingers in the league and put them next to Barzal for 21 playoff games. How many of them pop in a goal in game 5 or 6 against the Flyers and give us a much better chance in Game 1 against Tampa? Or capitalize on something in game 2 against Tampa to steal a win? 1 OT goal in a half empty net doesn't erase all that. I hope it gets him going, because we need it.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
BTW an update on that goofy Staal trade: apparently he didn’t have Buffalo on his no trade list because he used that list to block playoff teams that were trying to trade for him*. He loves Minnesota, and it sounds like he was planning to raise his kids there. All this raises the question of why he didn’t just get a full NMC, and given how much of a discount he took to stay, he probably deserved it. He could always have waived under the right circumstance.

* This part makes me wonder if we tried to get him.

LeBrun: How Eric Staal was traded to Buffalo despite his no-trade list

Reactions: danteipp

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
BTW an update on that goofy Staal trade: apparently he didn’t have Buffalo on his no trade list because he used that list to block playoff teams that were trying to trade for him*. He loves Minnesota, and it sounds like he was planning to raise his kids there. All this raises the question of why he didn’t just get a full NMC, and given how much of a discount he took to stay, he probably deserved it. He could always have waived under the right circumstance.

* This part makes me wonder if we tried to get him.

LeBrun: How Eric Staal was traded to Buffalo despite his no-trade list

I was wondering if Staal opted to use his list to block playoff teams, thanks for confirming.

I really believe Guerin is looking to get rid of all of the older vets and start a new culture in Minnesota, even if he has to take a step back for a season or two.

First he acknowledges he doesn't want Koivu back (which probably makes sense), then he sends Staal to hockey hell.

If that is the case, then maybe Lou really can swing a Ladd+ for Parise deal? It will be interesting to see if Parise wants out if all of his buddies are gone. If so, I bet Guerin will be happy to move him.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I was wondering if Staal opted to use his list to block playoff teams, thanks for confirming.

I really believe Guerin is looking to get rid of all of the older vets and start a new culture in Minnesota, even if he has to take a step back for a season or two.

First he acknowledges he doesn't want Koivu back (which probably makes sense), then he sends Staal to hockey hell.

If that is the case, then maybe Lou really can swing a Ladd+ for Parise deal? It will be interesting to see if Parise wants out if all of his buddies are gone. If so, I bet Guerin will be happy to move him.

Are Guerin and Ladd connected in any way? I know Weight and Ladd are, and Weight and Guerin are, maybe that helps?

Reactions: danteipp

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Is anybody else watching some of this game and thinking how is this the same team we played for 6 games. Suddenly Vasilevsky looks human if not below average. Point, Kucherov and Hedman have been invisible. And most of all, amazingly suddenly all of the bounces and breaks are not going Tampa's way. I refuse to believe it is because Dallas is THAT good.

Reactions: 86this

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Is anybody else watching some of this game and thinking how is this the same team we played for 6 games. Suddenly Vasilevsky looks human if not below average. Point, Kucherov and Hedman have been invisible. And most of all, amazingly suddenly all of the bounces and breaks are not going Tampa's way. I refuse to believe it is because Dallas is THAT good.

Dallas is very good. Why do you think they aren't? They've been one of the best defensive teams in the league for two years now and have a lot of game breakers up front. Pavelski, Seguin, Benn, Radulov, and now this rookie is popping off. Their back end also has better to end talent than we do. They're faster and able to get offense from their defense easier than we are.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Vasilevsky was the reason Dallas wasn’t up more to begin with. Since that goal Tampa has woke up but Dallas goalie is playing out of his mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->