News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I saw this earlier and almost pissed myself. I really feel for Sens fans.
They are a mess. Terrible owner has spoiled this team. I did like what I saw in Tkachuk tonight. But it's going to be rough for him if the young players there do not develop now that EK is gone.

Reactions: SI90

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
A TOR person asked for the proper way to pronounce Tavares. Ta-Veh-Ras

Asham replied. Tray-toor

The bottom of the tweet was cut off for me before, so I thought it was blank. That's so good. Love him more.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
They are a mess. Terrible owner has spoiled this team. I did like what I saw in Tkachuk tonight. But it's going to be rough for him if the young players there do not develop now that EK is gone.

Stone came out and said he doesn’t want to move on but it may be best for them to younger and rebuild. Trade Stone and Duchene to the highest bidder. The Hoffman situation really messed them up.

Melnyk is horrible though and hopefully he sells the team.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Stone came out and said he doesn’t want to move on but it may be best for them to younger and rebuild. Trade Stone and Duchene to the highest bidder. The Hoffman situation really messed them up.

Melnyk is horrible though and hopefully he sells the team.

So go after Stone AND Duchene?

Alrighty Lou, let's offer Eberle, Nelson, Vande Sompel and Koivula.

I see them biting at this juncture (and they'd likely flip Eberle elsewhere at some point as well)...

And when you're done there, call up CBJ and "cave in" with an offer of Lee, Wotherspoon, & Golyshev for Panarin.

The problem with all this is that instead of needing to re-sign Lee (6 million?), Eberle (5.5 million?), and Nelson (4.5 million) next summer, you've got to try and keep Panarin (8.5 million), Duchene (6.5 million) and Stone (6.5 million) instead. A fairly huge upgrade no doubt, IF these players would even be open to be long-term possibilities here.

Our team would look a heck of a lot different though...

SIDENOTE:
There are a few teams out there who have rarely picked high or even a whole lot for that matter in the last decade. These teams tend to be a bit more active at the end of an NHL season by going after older UFAs, sometimes out of juniors or college, and often out of Europe (generally after the WC).

Right now, everyone is talking about San Jose and loving how they've aggressively gone after big players and haven't been afraid to swoop in on E. Kane and now Karlsson. They also made the biggest pitch to Tavares.

I mention all this because prolly no team has been as active in picking up the types of players I've mentioned above than San Jose. Look no further than Donskoi, M. Karlsson, Sorensen, Heed, Goodrow, and now Suomela, Praplan, & Radil, as well as prospects such as True, Halbgewachs, Simek, and now the young Kotkov. THAT'S how they maintain depth in a world where picks and prospects have often needed to go the other way in trades.

And I'll have no problem seeing Lou acting in the same manner once our team is in the concert of the top 8 leaguewide.

Last edited:

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
Every day that passes, without the leafs signing Nylander, makes me very happy.

I’m sure they’ll get him signed before the season starts, but it’s going to be for a number that will screw up Dumbas best laid salary cap plans.

Could you imagine if the Nylander camp is looking for like 8-9 mil? I’d be overjoyed if he got 8 mil per(but I’d doubt it)

Leafs would be better off trading him for help on D if he wants that much. I think that squirt of a GM they have is highly overrated, so hopefully he gets an underwhelming return for him

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Did anyone see Asham's tweet about how to pronounce Judas' name properly?

You have to read the responses!

I always liked Aaron, now he's a hero.
I would like to be among the first to congratulate him on his impending induction into the New York Islanders Hall Of Fame! The Undisputed Middleweight Champion!!!!!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Every day that passes, without the leafs signing Nylander, makes me very happy.

I’m sure they’ll get him signed before the season starts, but it’s going to be for a number that will screw up Dumbas best laid salary cap plans.

Could you imagine if the Nylander camp is looking for like 8-9 mil? I’d be overjoyed if he got 8 mil per(but I’d doubt it)

Leafs would be better off trading him for help on D if he wants that much. I think that squirt of a GM they have is highly overrated, so hopefully he gets an underwhelming return for him

At this point. I tend to agree with you. I have never seen a GM in all my years following the game that is so over hyped with the almost zero actual NHL accomplishments in his resume. I like how this negotiation has stretched out, Dumbas is probably sweating and regretting his we will sign all 3 bold proclamation earlier this summer. He painted himself into a position of lesser leverage where Nylander's agent is taking full advantage of. The Tray-Toor signing has made life difficult for the young inexperienced GM. Have to admit, this has been fun watching it unfold.

Reactions: bigtim1988

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Kind of an obvious prediction, given Lou's history of pursuing goaltenders. Isles also will Sorokin soon I surmise. Either way, Isles will have plenty of goaltending upgrade possibilities.
Unless they can somehow have Sorokin break his contract (or buy it out), he's stuck in the KHL until 2020.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Unless they can somehow have Sorokin break his contract (or buy it out), he's stuck in the KHL until 2020.

This would not be out of the ordinary with KHL teams. The mighty dollar can bring Sorokin to the Island earlier than planned. Good distinction here.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The Islanders aren't allowed to pay the buyout, it has to come from Sorokin himself.

Not only that, but for as highly touted as Sorokin is we don’t know if he’s the real deal over here. I don’t think it’s safe to put your eggs all in one basket. I’ve been following Sorokin closely since he was drafted and I think he is the real deal but you just don’t know until he comes here and proves it.

Reactions: bigtim1988

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The Islanders aren't allowed to pay the buyout, it has to come from Sorokin himself.

Maybe Malkin can call up Trump and get some tips.Just joking. All I am saying is money wouldn't be the first time on how to get a Russian player over here. And let's not forget the Isles have Lou now. If anyone could find loopholes it's him with his past with Russian players.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Depends what you're giving up.
I agree that it depends on what it takes to get him, but I also think Stone is getting underrated in here. He is one of the best 5 on 5 forwards in the game right now. The one year contract is a little scary, but if we could get him for a reasonable price, I think we should do it. If we can sign him to an extension, then we can look at trading Lee and Eberle for the pieces to get a Dman and 2C.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Did anyone see Asham's tweet about how to pronounce Judas' name properly?

You have to read the responses!

I always liked Aaron, now he's a hero.

Oh ****! SHOTS FIRED!

I always loved Asham when he was on the isles. I remember at an autograph signing in 04 we gave him the phone number to a friend of ours who was a rags fan and Asham called him up and was like "I just wanted to let you know that Matthew Barnaby is my bitch" (this was after he thumped Barnaby at the garden and he cried in the penalty box).

Also just saw that Fall Out Boy dissed Tr91tor as well at their Coliseum show. Made my day

Last edited:
Reactions: SI90 and PWJunior
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->