News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Nothing but respect to Panarin. Now the ball is in CBJ court but they won’t be blindsided and can now plan accordingly.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
At this point. I tend to agree with you. I have never seen a GM in all my years following the game that is so over hyped with the almost zero actual NHL accomplishments in his resume. I like how this negotiation has stretched out, Dumbas is probably sweating and regretting his we will sign all 3 bold proclamation earlier this summer. He painted himself into a position of lesser leverage where Nylander's agent is taking full advantage of. The Tray-Toor signing has made life difficult for the young inexperienced GM. Have to admit, this has been fun watching it unfold.

Agreed. You or I could have been the GM of Toronto and he'd sign with them...he was going there the whole time.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Did Tavares get PK time on the Islanders?

He didn't at first, but then they started using him maybe 2-3 years ago. There was definitely an uptick in our PK when he started killing them regularly, largely due to winning face-offs (especially compared to many other centers we've had over the years) and his high hockey-IQ. He was able to sniff out plays and can be a real puck hound. But you also get the bad of Tavares as well, which is overextending his shifts, an inability to close down spaces quick enough because of his skating, and losing his man or not moving his feet to defend well enough. Great on the forecheck and for stealing pucks, but bad defensively in the slot.

Last edited:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
He didn't at first, but then they started using him maybe 2-3 years ago. There was definitely an uptick in our PK when he start killing them regularly, largely due to winning face-offs (especially compared to many other centers we've had over the years) and his high hockey-IQ. He was able to sniff out plays and can be a real puck hound. But you also get the bad of Tavares as well, which is overextending his shifts, an inability to close down spaces quick enough because of his skating, and losing his man or not moving his feet to defend well enough. Great on the forecheck and for stealing pucks, but bad defensively in the slot.

Terrific, spot-on analysis. Tavares “defensive” strengths were primarily puck pursuit. But he was pretty bad at coverage. Especially, in the slot. He would occasionally puck watch, and lose his man.

Since signing in Toronto, the “Tavares as a great two-way player,” narrative just took off! Most of that seems to have originated by over reliance on possession stats and the Toronto media echo chamber.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Terrific, spot-on analysis. Tavares “defensive” strengths were primarily puck pursuit. But he was pretty bad at coverage. Especially, in the slot. He would occasionally puck watch, and lose his man.

Since signing in Toronto, the “Tavares as a great two-way player,” narrative just took off! Most of that seems to have originated by over reliance on possession stats and the Toronto media echo chamber.

I have to guess any positive stats for Tavares defensively would factor in takeaways

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Nothing but respect to Panarin. Now the ball is in CBJ court but they won’t be blindsided and can now plan accordingly.

Looks like Columbus' GM is all in this season.
Gambling on winning the SC, knowing he likely loses his 2 best players by July 1st.
After the season ends, it will be so close to July 1st, that neither Panarin or Bob would have a reason not to go and test the market. Columbus won't get anything of value moving them at that point.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Looks like Columbus' GM is all in this season.
Gambling on winning the SC, knowing he likely loses his 2 best players by July 1st.
After the season ends, it will be so close to July 1st, that neither Panarin or Bob would have a reason not to go and test the market. Columbus won't get anything of value moving them at that point.

Yes but like I said, CBJ won’t be blindsided. They know exactly where they stand. If they decide to keep BOB and Panarin for a playoff run that’s fine. Should the season fall apart they may chose to move Panarin and/or BOB knowing both are most likely testing free agency.

If Tavares had done this, the hate would solely be on snow because Tavares would have been up front and honest. By Panarin telling CBJ he’s likely going to UFA he’s giving them enough time and a concrete answer for them to plan ahead.

Last edited:

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
At least Panarin is honest. CBJ now have a choice and can trade him if they fall out of the playoff race or receive a spectacular offer. The ball is in their court.

Reactions: SI90

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Insane. Top5 pick. I honestly thought at worst he’d be a #5-6 Defensman. This league has no place for slow Defensman. 10+ years ago he may have had a shot.

I forgot he was even a part of Vegas, and I think they have injuries on defense and he still can't seem to make it. Didn't his dad come out and make comments about how he should be playing in the NHL? That's three teams that have buried him now. Rough for him.

Reactions: bigtim1988

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I forgot he was even a part of Vegas, and I think they have injuries on defense and he still can't seem to make it. Didn't his dad come out and make comments about how he should be playing in the NHL? That's three teams that have buried him now. Rough for him.

Once the oilers gave up on him, albeit the expansion draft I knew his chances were slim. Today’s game will eat you alive if your a Defensman with slow foot speed and below average skating.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Peter Chiareli might have saved the isles franchise. Imagine where we’d be with no Barzal after Pajam boy left? Yikes.
I hate to say it but Garf has to be given some credit for the trade as well

He sucked but he had occasional moments of brilliancy such as the Barzal trade or the Leddy deal

Don't get me started on all the horrible mistakes he made.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I hate to say it but Garf has to be given some credit for the trade as well

He sucked but he had occasional moments of brilliancy such as the Barzal trade or the Leddy deal

Don't get me started on all the horrible mistakes he made.

Absolutely he deserves credit but from his vantage point it was an absolutely no brainer. Chia is the one who needed to make the way tougher decision and he made it and it was horrible. 30 out of 3o GMs would have made that trade from Garth’s chair. I don’t know if even 3 out of 30 GMs would have made that trade from Chia’s chair.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Yes but like I said, CBJ won’t be blindsided. They know exactly where they stand. If they decide to keep BOB and Panarin for a playoff run that’s fine. Should the season fall apart they may chose to move Panarin and/or BOB knowing both are most likely testing free agency.

If Tavares had done this, the hate would solely be on snow because Tavares would have been up front and honest. By Panarin telling CBJ he’s likely going to UFA he’s giving them enough time and a concrete answer for them to plan ahead.

Oh, I give Panarin and Bob both props for being upfront with Columbus management.

I think it's a tough call for their GM because they do have a talented roster. One capable of doing some damage in the postseason.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Insane. Top5 pick. I honestly thought at worst he’d be a #5-6 Defensman. This league has no place for slow Defensman. 10+ years ago he may have had a shot.
When he was dealt from the isles, he made a comment that he had not thought his skating was an issue and would now be working on it.

Just a head scratching and out to lunch statement. He should have been working on his skating from the end of his first nyi training camp, where he had to go up against older nhlers, speedier nhlers.

Reactions: SI90

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
With respect to the Panarin and Bob situations, as othera have said, at least the Columbus GM has options.

If Columbus looks like a legit, top-tier cup contender, then he probably goes all in. If they win, with the core they built, they might be able to sell themselves to other quality free agents and reload, even if Panarin walks.

If they don't look like true contenders, I think they look to swap Panarin for a comparable player (either with term or one they can sign) or some picks/prospects they can flip down the line for an established asset.

With respect to Bob, another playoff failure and I think they would look to move on from him anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad