News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2018-19 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Picking up on the Kyle Dumbas talk from the previous thread, I agree with some. The shine is starting to wear off the apparent wonder kid. He always struck me as more of a used slick talking car salesman rather than an actual NHL GM.

He has done little since he took over instead make the Leafs softer. You are not going far in the playoffs without some toughness. Something a Lou Lamoriello team had. Dubas has gave away assets for basically free. Leivo, Carrick, McElhinney and to the Isles thankfully Matt Martin to our benefit. Terrible asset management.

Let's face it, Pajamas would have signed in Toronto had Lou been there also. He was planning his homecoming a year out from the Isles. So it is hard to credit Dubas for this too.

All I know is he overpaid for Nylander by up to 1M based what Larkin, Ehlers, and Pastrnak are paid. He misplayed his hand by waiting to Dec 1 to sign Nylander, right now that signing has been a disaster. Hasn't addressed the Defence. Lots of question marks on him as a GM.

I think Lamoriello was light years better managing the Leafs and was certainly more respected by Babcock. I think this will become more evident in time.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Picking up on the Kyle Dumbas talk from the previous thread, I agree with some. The shine is starting to wear off the apparent wonder kid. He always struck me as more of a used slick talking car salesman rather than an actual NHL GM.

He has done little since he took over instead make the Leafs softer. You are not going far in the playoffs without some toughness. Something a Lou Lamoriello team had. Dubas has gave away assets for basically free. Leivo, Carrick, McElhinney and to the Isles thankfully Matt Martin to our benefit. Terrible asset management.

Let's face it, Pajamas would have signed in Toronto had Lou been there also. He was planning his homecoming a year out from the Isles. So it is hard to credit Dubas for this too.

All I know is he overpaid for Nylander by up to 1M based what Larkin, Ehlers, and Pastrnak are paid. He misplayed his hand by waiting to Dec 1 to sign Nylander, right now that signing has been a disaster. Hasn't addressed the Defence. Lots of question marks on him as a GM.

I think Lamoriello was light years better managing the Leafs and was certainly more respected by Babcock. I think this will become more evident in time.

When Lamoriello was there, he never had full control of the team. It was essentially GM by committee between Shanahan, Lamoriello, Dubas, and Hunter.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
When Lamoriello was there, he never had full control of the team. It was essentially GM by committee between Shanahan, Lamoriello, Dubas, and Hunter.

My understanding from Lou's own quotes when he was interviewed on radio, believe it was Prime time sports with Bob Mccown and John Shannon was he was the GM and he had full autonomy. True it was a collective Mgt team the Leafs ran but for the 3 years Lou was there he had more power than any one there, other than Shanahan.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Can't read who that is defending him, but that's embarrassing. Put him down.
Yeah, horrible defending. Well, except for the part in the middle where he stopped playing entirely.

In his defense, perhaps he was confused and thought it was a no contact drill.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
I really hope the ducks win before they play here on Sunday. You just know if they haven't won yet, they would break the streak here.

12 in a row though....yikes

Reactions: MJF

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
My understanding from Lou's own quotes when he was interviewed on radio, believe it was Prime time sports with Bob Mccown and John Shannon was he was the GM and he had full autonomy. True it was a collective Mgt team the Leafs ran but for the 3 years Lou was there he had more power than any one there, other than Shanahan.

Couple observations.

Leafs seem like a better version of what the Isles were last year. Can only play one way and now they are exposed. Difference is that Anderson is playing much better than Halak/Greiss

While Babcock and Trotz are two of the best coaches in the league from what I've seen there is one big difference: Babcock rubs all his players the wrong way and will alienate them while Trotz has his guys believe and willing to run through a wall, build it back up, then run through it again.

From what you said it confirms what I though. All the decisions went through Lou but the asst gm's brought their own ideas to him and some of them worked. But to take a kid in his early 30's and make him the GM of the team guarantees that the inmates will eventually run the asylum.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Leafs 1-8-1 in their last ten against 'playoff' teams?

Yes, they were missing Andersen for some, but still, it shows how badly they lack the grit players (they were also missing Hyman, who is their only one).

I wonder if Lou deliberately let Leo walk, so he could sign him here?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
How about Alex Tuch? He's matched his totals from last year. 6'4", skates, nice hands, smart, 6 PIM. He's something.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
How about Alex Tuch? He's matched his totals from last year. 6'4", skates, nice hands, smart, 6 PIM. He's something.

I had to double check which thread we are in, because there’s no way that guy will be available so as long as he’s under contract. Super underrated, I love watching him play.

Plays a really straighforward game and has good tools and a good toolbox to go with it.

Minnesota got boned in the expansion draft. Tuch and Haula are strong middle six forwards.

Reactions: ndgolden and dano16

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I had to double check which thread we are in, because there’s no way that guy will be available so as long as he’s under contract. Super underrated, I love watching him play.

Plays a really straighforward game and has good tools and a good toolbox to go with it.

Minnesota got boned in the expansion draft. Tuch and Haula are strong middle six forwards.

At least they did better than Florida. Oof.

Reactions: seafoam

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
The leafs play the bolts tomorrow. If the isles win and the leafs lose, we are tied with Toronto's super team in Pts.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Boston with a stinker against Philly tonight.

Gotta say, Carter Hart looks pretty good so far.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Should go back to the main boards and look what the responses were when the Knights signed him to an extension. They ridiculed the move. I couldn't figure out why. He seemed to be one of their best players, especially in the playoffs. At least I know my eyes didn't deceive me.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Two things that pop out to me in the standings and widen my eyes:

Islanders have the lowest GA in the league. If I could type that any slower I would! That's a phenomenal turn around from last season's tire fire and solves the riddle of why we could have good defenders that play so badly. The answer was unanimously coaching.

Second, not one team in the East is currently in the playoffs that has a - goals to goals against differential. That's surprising as well. The West has Dallas and Minnesota at a -3.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
The leafs play the bolts tomorrow. If the isles win and the leafs lose, we are tied with Toronto's super team in Pts.

And if we win all our games in hand we are FOURTH overall in the NHL! We are tied for least games played in the league and we can leapfrog about 7 teams!

Reactions: 1CupSince
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->