News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think some people really don't realize how much the salary cap has gone up in the last decade. I remember referencing it when comparing salaries, not too long ago. The salary cap in 09-10 was something like $56 million. It was $56.8 million to be exact. It is now $75 million for this season. That's an increase of almost 33%. That's much faster than inflation of the American dollar (and I'm assuming the Canadian dollar) in that time period. The first year of the salary cap in 05-06, it was $39 million! That's an increase of over 90% in just 12 years! Astronomically higher than the rise of inflation in both countries.

What's really hilarious is when you look at player salaries from the 80's and even into the early and mid-90's. Scott Stevens salary of a whopping $300k per year in 89-90. What does a comparable 25 year old defenseman make today? Adam Larsson makes over $4 million this year.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Definitely one of the more puzzling tenures in the league. If they don't step it up I don't see how Laine's stay in Winnipeg is going to go any better than Kovalchuk's in Atlanta. Same organisation, same lack of results.
I think Chevaldayoff will be long gone by the time Laine is up for UFA. But I thought he'd be gone already, his tenure just doesn't make any sense. You figure that Laine has at least 6 more years before he's UFA eligible. Chevaldayoff has already survived 6 brutal years, can he survive another 6? If he does survive another 6, it probably means they're breaking through and making the playoffs. Even if they're not doing much else beyond that.
They just gave Cheveldayoff a contract extension a month ago. This will be his 7th season as Winnipeg's GM, and they have 0 playoff wins and have only made the playoffs once.
The Chevaldayoff extension was baffling. I still don't understand why the need to not let a coach or GM go into the year as a lame duck, if the coach and GM have both had questionable performance in prior years leading up to it. Which Maurice has and Chevaldayoff absolutely has. Some teams do let their coaches and GM's go into a lame duck year. The Stars did last year with Ruff and just let his contract expire and hired Hitchcock. Hitchcock has been on one year contracts for a while now, both in St Louis and now in Dallas. Sutter was a lame duck in 15-16, then extended by LA for 2 or 3 more years about a month or two after the season ended. Of course, he was fired just a year into it when they cleaned house. This is why you have so many idiots getting extended, then getting fired before their extension even kicks in. Look no further than Dan Bylsma in Pittsburgh. Extended the year before by Shero, then both were out the door the year before Bylsma's new extension kicked in. Gerard Gallant was fired by the Panthers almost two years before his new contract was to kick in. I think AV might not make his new contract, which starts next year. He could be a casualty if the Rangers go out in round one or two again. The Ruff hiring as an assistant, smells like they've already turned the oven on for AV.
I feel bad for their fans.
I do and I don't. Like Sidorkiewicz said, some are really pompous and arrogant. I don't like stereotypes, not even for something as petty as sports fanbases, but I have had some run-ins with fans of theirs on here, more than any other fanbase. I remember one jumped on me after we won the lottery, when I said I was glad that one of the repeat and serial tankers like Arizona and Winnipeg didn't win the lottery this year.
He's pretty much in Kevin Lowe territory now, it's really sad. How can someone that inept keep his job for longer than almost any GM in the league? As @Bleedred said, it's almost as if they aren't even trying to compete and the real goal is to tank.
I think it's legitimate to ask what the plan is. Chevaldayoff looked like he was worried when they showed him after the Jets went down 3-0 tonight, but for all we know, he might look like that every night that happens, and the cameras just aren't on him. They just happened to be on him tonight.
The Winnipeg situation is surprising to me. Is their goaltending that bad? They seem to have a very talented lineup. Is their coach calling Hynes for advice? I don’t get it. You’d think they’d be pretty good with that roster.
They stuck by Pavelec for too long. Hellebuyck looks like a good prospect, had a good rookie year playing 26 games. Then he played 56 last year and looked more like what we saw out of Schneider last year. It should be noted that he's been the best goaltender on the team over the last two years. Even though he wasn't very good last year. Pavelec has been a mess, outside of that fluke season a couple years back, Hutchinson is straight up TRASH. And I don't think anybody picked his sorry ass up on waivers a couple weeks back.
I feel like we've been saying that about the Jets for a while now.
We have, or at least their fanbase has. Every year, there's a small but vocal contingent that picks them to make the playoffs and to finally break through.
The big difference between him and Garth is that Garth kept his job for so long because the owner who employed him was a complete lunatic who knew nothing about hockey.
I think the rumors of Garth getting a 10 year extension from Wang on his way out the door, were indeed true. And if it wasn't 10 years, it was still many years long. They'll be eating the remaining years soon enough. I can't see him getting more than 2 more years there, unless they have a couple pretty big years. And even if they make the playoffs both of the next two years and lose in the first round, he's been tenured for long enough that he should have done better than one playoff round win in that many years.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think most of Winnipeg's problem is that their ownership doesn't seem to like change. They seem content with just letting Cheveldave do his thing, which would be fine if he was a good GM. Unfortunately I don't think he is. He's done a decent job of drafting with Scheifele, Trouba, Morrissey, Ehlers, Connor, Laine, etc. but most of those guys were top 10 picks, so I would hope they would do well with them. His trades have been rare and mostly low impact. It's like their plan is just to build strictly through the draft and free agency.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I mean, you are really surprised that players now are making more than players from 8-10 years ago?

Thats really a thought that you had? Think about it for a second

lol as usual picking and choosing bits of what i said. i wasn't comparing the cap now to then i was comparing point production. 13 million and its a 100pt player. 10 million gets you 82. before you know it 50pts will get you 8 million

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
lol as usual picking and choosing bits of what i said. i wasn't comparing the cap now to then i was comparing point production. 13 million and its a 100pt player. 10 million gets you 82. before you know it 50pts will get you 8 million

Sounds like your issue with more with league-wide goal scoring.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Have to look at salary's as a percentage of cap, better indicator of salaries. Also league-wide revenue was different than and now (just look at the current TV deal) which will bump up salaries.

Crosby's 8.7 million in 2008-09 was 17.3% of the cap ceiling (calculated using 2007-08 cap ceiling).
McDavid's 12.5 million is 16.67% of the cap ceiling (calculated using 2017-18 cap ceiling) but doesn't come into effect until 2018-19.
Ovechkin's 9.538 million was 16.8% of the cap ceiling (calculated using 2008-09 cap ceiling)

He's actually making less relative to those two 10 years ago.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Merrill healthy scratched for opening night.

Still 9 defensemen as GMGM still doesn't make a move - seems like other GM's may be sticking it to him.

Looks like a bit of a mess right now for Vegas.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I think other teams are definitely sticking it to them, let them twist in the wind with a surplus of D acquisitions

Not surprised about Merrill :rolleyes:

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
McPhee is an idiot. Drafts a million crap defensemen, doesn't trade any probably because he burned all his bridges in the league, then refuses to waive any of them and instead sends his #1 center and one of his best defensemen down to the AHL.

What a loser

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
McPhee is an idiot. Drafts a million crap defensemen, doesn't trade any probably because he burned all his bridges in the league, then refuses to waive any of them and instead sends his #1 center and one of his best defensemen down to the AHL.

What a loser

God forbid like a forward or two get hurt. Then they may barely end with with 4 lines of forwards :laugh:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I didn't mind Vegas' strategy of drafting defense, but I would have cut bait by now. Hopefully for their sake, they can call up Shipachyov in time for their home debut. Seems silly that the guy they had penciled as their top center is starting in the AHL because he didn't require waivers.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Jon Merrill riding pine.

Terrible player and terrible pick. I still laugh about his lazy ass getting drafted in a t-shirt and khakis.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'll laugh when Vegas's defense is crap anyway after all the hoarding of mediocre-poor assets. And I thought our having eight D a few years back was bad.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Also looks like the other GM's stuck it to McPhee...he couldn't make a move to send a d-man away, so Vadim Shipachyov (their big free agent signing from the KHL) won't be able to play the NHL season opener

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey

Merrill healthy scratched for opening night.

Still 9 defensemen as GMGM still doesn't make a move - seems like other GM's may be sticking it to him.

Looks like a bit of a mess right now for Vegas.

Wait, what? He's missing?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't think anyone is sticking it to Vegas. Eveyone's roster is set.

Nobody is moving picks (I'm assuming that's what they would want?) at this stage of the season.

Vegas plays back to back games I'm sure they'll be rotating D. Theodore and Shipachyov are not in the lineup either. Obviously just juggling. Interesting scenario they've created over there. They should have callers once injuries around the league begin.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Shipachyov is 30 years old, he didn't come over from the KHL to get stuck in the minors because McPhee's on a power trip. It wouldn't shock me at all if he was refusing to report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad