News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Though I'm not a big fan of these guys getting paid this level $$$ so early in the process. 2 years in have they really proven themselves?

Seems as if the bridge contract doesn’t exist for these guys. McDavid wise, I don’t blame his camp.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Kopitar has a $10M cap hit for the next 7 years including this one. Eichel put up almost a PPG after missing the first ~20 games on a team that, without him, likely would have had a leading scorer finish with around 50 points. I think he's absolutely worth the contract given Kopitar and other recent contracts as a comparison. It's either sign him to something like that now, or risk him putting up an ~85-90 point season this year and have him demand closer to 11-11.5.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
The Eichel contract seems like a gamble. He's not McDavid or Crosby. He's obviously a hell of a player, but that's one hell of a contract.
Seeing a lot of comments like this but if he didn't have that freak injury and continued that .93 PPG pace over a full season I don't think people would be second guessing it. Wouldn't be surprised if he's over PPG this year.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Seems as if the bridge contract doesn’t exist for these guys. McDavid wise, I don’t blame his camp.
With McDavid, Eichel, and Mathews to come, I certainly don't blame the teams, these all look to be excellent players. And if I had to guess, 5 years from now those deals will actually be looking pretty good for the teams, but I'm still a little uneasy seeing guys who have been in the league all of 2 years getting 8 x 10's.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Signing him now certainly beats seeing Eichel get an offer sheet on a $12M/year deal in the offseason.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The Ovi contract was (I think?) the first big money long term deal, but he was younger and it was pretty much straightlined in value.

Right team, wrong contract.

The Jagr contract circa 2000 was the first really long, really expensive NHL contract I can recall. Something like 8 years at $10M a year or so.

It was definitely the biggest thing ever at the time anyway, funny I remember watching that presser on live TV.

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
Adam Larsson will be an Alternate Captain for the Oilers this season. Good for him. I miss that guy not being on the Devils.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Demanding cocaine?

Dang Jiri that's really out of line, just buy it like a normal person...BYOC

I think he may have misunderstood the meaning behind the "mile HIGH club"

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

The Jagr contract circa 2000 was the first really long, really expensive NHL contract I can recall. Something like 8 years at $10M a year or so.

It was definitely the biggest thing ever at the time anyway, funny I remember watching that presser on live TV.

Fair enough. I was going with long term > 10 years. Triumph had some good examples as well. I was trying to go off the top of my head, and it looks like I missed some good examples.

To bring this to the current discussion, I think the Ovechkin, Eichel, McDavid contracts have been signed at the right time for long term deals. Imagine if McDavid hit free agency at age 25? Every team would give him a max contract. Same is likely true of Eichel and Matthews. Buying age 25 - 28 UFA years is a way safer bet than buying UFA years 35 - 40.

I think very few of the long term contracts for older players will work out.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Adam Larsson will be an Alternate Captain for the Oilers this season. Good for him. I miss that guy not being on the Devils.

Awesome for Adam, I'm definitely still cheering him on.

I went to the 2015 NHL Awards show and accidentally ended up backstage. That was the year that Hudler won the Lady Byng. Hudler was walking around without his shoes and otherwise seemed like he had been partying for awhile. [/coolstorybro]

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Seeing a lot of comments like this but if he didn't have that freak injury and continued that .93 PPG pace over a full season I don't think people would be second guessing it. Wouldn't be surprised if he's over PPG this year.

I don't think it's necessarily bad, he may just end up a bit overpayed. Or maybe not. Compared to a guy like McDavid who lead the league in scoring before the massive contract, Eichel is a but more unproven.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Eichel was almost a PPG player for the worst coach in the league by a mile whose whole strategy was to turn every game into a low scoring unwatchable crapfest. He is worth every damn penny.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Eichel is definitely worth that, wou'll see in the next few years just how good he is

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

holik for 5 years at 9 million per was absolutlely f***ing comical rags

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Eichel is definitely worth that, wou'll see in the next few years just how good he is
Eichel was almost a PPG player for the worst coach in the league by a mile whose whole strategy was to turn every game into a low scoring unwatchable crapfest. He is worth every damn penny.

I really don't doubt that he will live up to the contract. I know he is very good. Like top 5 in the league type good. I get why they did it and i'd be happy if I were a Sabers fan. I just think it's a slight bit more of a gamble compared to McDavid. That's really all.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i'm not denying that eichel isn't very good and he isn't worth the salary but damn man 2 years in and your getting 10 million? i know he was hurt last year but still even say he puts up the 82 points. thats what 10 million gets you? i mean even macdavid leading the nhl with 100pts gets 13 million? i remember when players put up 120/30/40! how the times have changed.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
i'm not denying that eichel isn't very good and he isn't worth the salary but damn man 2 years in and your getting 10 million? i know he was hurt last year but still even say he puts up the 82 points. thats what 10 million gets you? i mean even macdavid leading the nhl with 100pts gets 13 million? i remember when players put up 120/30/40! how the times have changed.

Yeah that is a lot of money upfront. I know it is the way things are heading for some young players, but it still gives me pause...

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

you do realize that the salary cap is much higher now than it was 8-10 years ago

right?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Nonsense Hynes was coaching in NJ not Buffalo.
Haha.

Bylsma is definitely worse than Hynes but.... quite a few shitty coaches were all sacked in the last several months.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Cheveldayoff is so shocked Mason's no good. People keep telling him he needs a better goaltender, so he just goes out and different one. Doesn't matter if he's just as shit as Pavelec as long as he's different, right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad