News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Like the last 5 seasons haven't been one? Haven't exactly been banner seasons.

so we got screwed either way. Yeah I get it they aren't on our roster now and that's the real plus. But ask yourself coming off a cup finals run and they do bring both guys back. And say they win the cup in 13. Would you take that cup win and still have them now? Or how it's playing out now?
Parise wasn't coming back, as we've been over many times in the past 5.25 years. He wouldn't have been here to win the cup with us in 2013.

And I think the idea is that we hope that we'll be up and running and competitive, when Parise and Kovalchuk would be in their heavily declining years and in their mid/late-30's and on really expensive contracts.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Parise wasn't coming back, as we've been over many times in the past 5.25 years. He wouldn't have been here to win the cup with us in 2013.

And I think the idea is that we hope that we'll be up and running and competitive, when Parise and Kovalchuk would be in their heavily declining years and in their mid/late-30's and on really expensive contracts.

Omg I really doubt even with them we would've won the cup in 13. It's a freaking hypothetical question.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Omg I really doubt even with them we would've won the cup in 13. It's a freaking hypothetical question.
The point is, if we're gonna be good in 2-3 more years, we'd have those guys possibly getting in the way. They'll be 35 and 36 in two years from now. They'd also each have 5-6 years remaining on their deal, both at a high cap hit and the recapture penalty if they did decide to retire, would be nasty.

It comes down to we would have had to suck these past few years, or we could have been more competitive the last few years, then awful afterwards and with no Zacha or Hischier to show for it. Probably no Taylor Hall either.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’ve seen multiple posts on the various albatross contracts around the league. Several references to Parise, Kovy, and even a few mentioning they are glad NJ didn’t sign Shatty for what it would have taken to get him to NJ. Serious question - are there many good examples of long term UFA type contracts working? Hossa comes to mind but he seems to have gone the Kovy route. Not sure that counts. Are there any players who signed at 29-30 would played well into their late 30s? ELIAS and Brodeur come to mind also. Just curious and we have until Saturday so time to learn something.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I’ve seen multiple posts on the various albatross contracts around the league. Several references to Parise, Kovy, and even a few mentioning they are glad NJ didn’t sign Shatty for what it would have taken to get him to NJ. Serious question - are there many good examples of long term UFA type contracts working? Hossa comes to mind but he seems to have gone the Kovy route. Not sure that counts. Are there any players who signed at 29-30 would played well into their late 30s? ELIAS and Brodeur come to mind also. Just curious and we have until Saturday so time to learn something.

All of those super long term deals are going to be burdens at some point. Some sooner then others and two things determine if it was worth it

1 did you win the cup or cups during it
2 does the gm know when to "pull the plug" when the window is closing.

Some say the Kane and towes contract are brutal but I believe they just finished 2nd in the NHL last year? They are constant cup contenders but is it worth it? Kane will at some point stop producing probably so when he's 32 he will be putting up 40pts and have a 10 million cap hit? Was it worth it? Absolutely imo it is

Reactions: Hypernova

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

I think it's too early to tell. The Ovi contract was (I think?) the first big money long term deal, but he was younger and it was pretty much straightlined in value. So far, that deal seems like a reasonable one, even if the Washington are up against the cap limit.

The debate on long term contracts seem to mostly focus on "is it worth trading the performance on the first few years (when contract is more affordable) for the cap albatross the last few years". But, Luongo's deal seems to point out another issue - what if you sign a star player, but then you mismanage the rest of the team . Luongo has 5 years left on a 12 year deal with a $5.3 million cap hit. If he can continue to perform as an average to above average starter for the next three years, I think that contract would have been worth it for some team. Imagine if the Rangers had Lundqvist on a Luongo type deal? They would have had $3 million more in caps space the past few years when they were a legitimate contender. Vancouver, though, was only competitive for the first three years of Luongo's deal. A shorter contract would have not only protected against a Luongo decline, it also would have given the Canucks a lot more flexibility in case the rest of the team declined. Instead, they ended up trading Luongo for pennies on the dollar.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I'm in Manhattan and just walked by a guy in a Nolan Patrick shirt.

I'll bet he gets heckled a lot today.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I think it's too early to tell. The Ovi contract was (I think?) the first big money long term deal, but he was younger and it was pretty much straightlined in value. So far, that deal seems like a reasonable one, even if the Washington are up against the cap limit.

The debate on long term contracts seem to mostly focus on "is it worth trading the performance on the first few years (when contract is more affordable) for the cap albatross the last few years". But, Luongo's deal seems to point out another issue - what if you sign a star player, but then you mismanage the rest of the team . Luongo has 5 years left on a 12 year deal with a $5.3 million cap hit. If he can continue to perform as an average to above average starter for the next three years, I think that contract would have been worth it for some team. Imagine if the Rangers had Lundqvist on a Luongo type deal? They would have had $3 million more in caps space the past few years when they were a legitimate contender. Vancouver, though, was only competitive for the first three years of Luongo's deal. A shorter contract would have not only protected against a Luongo decline, it also would have given the Canucks a lot more flexibility in case the rest of the team declined. Instead, they ended up trading Luongo for pennies on the dollar.

thats a prime example on why goalies should never be given those huge deals and also why teams dont really need a legit top notch goalie imo

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Kovalchuk is the most obvious disaster contract of that nature. He wasn't even living up to it 3 years in - how were the next 12 years going to go? I guess Brad Richards and Vincent Lecavalier have to be put here in the L column as both deals were the target of compliance buyouts.

But sure, there are plenty of good examples. Marian Hossa's deal was an enormous bargain to Chicago. Duncan Keith's deal is looking that way too. Henrik Zetterberg's deal is going great. Sidney Crosby likes a number and saved Pittsburgh a lot of money by doing so.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
You cannot be serious.

Entirely serious, and you can search my posts + Kovalchuk to find out why. Not going to clutter up this thread with a player who'll never play in the NHL again.

EDIT: DiPietro's contract was not backsliding but is obviously worse - not talking about those.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Chara would be the best example, 100% lived up to and surpassed expectations on his first big 5 year deal, got ANOTHER big deal of which he is at the end of. All players fall off eventually, but Boston certainly got their money's worth with him.

Rafalski to DET comes to mind, he was a very productive player for years there and left money on the table to retire when he probably could have played a few more years.

Danny Briere was very productive in Philly for the majority of his contract, though he got old quickly at the end. Still though, a 7 year deal and he was very good for 5 of them.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Re: Tarasenko article (because I can't get the worthless quote feature to work)

We don't really think about it that way, but it shows how devastating trades can be to players with families. It's part of the job that everyone accepts and deals with, but it must suck when it happens.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
No mention of eichel with a 8 year $10 million contract?

Makes me wonder what nico would get if he produces similar

Is matthews 13 million?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The Eichel contract seems like a gamble. He's not McDavid or Crosby. He's obviously a hell of a player, but that's one hell of a contract.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The Eichel contract seems like a gamble. He's not McDavid or Crosby. He's obviously a hell of a player, but that's one hell of a contract.
So young though. He'll never be old during this contract. As long as he stays healthy I don't think it will ever feel like a terrible deal.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Though I'm not a big fan of these guys getting paid this level $$$ so early in the process. 2 years in have they really proven themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->