News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
It's horrendous to think of how many fringe NHLers or wash outs comprised a significant portion of our lineup just a few years ago. That said, it's also a tremendous relief to see we've moved on from a boatload of these players in recent years.
it was almost five and a half years ago, that's a long time in life of athlete.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Gionta and Bernier on waivers, better put a claim on those guys.

Rychel is definitely interesting. Read is very meh.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
For a guy who can bring 40-50 points to the table, $1m is a solid deal for the Flames, glad to see Jagr get a shot, yet surprised it took this long

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
For a guy who can bring 40-50 points to the table, $1m is a solid deal for the Flames, glad to see Jagr get a shot, yet surprised it took this long

As others suggested when I half jokingly said we should sign him after his continued funny tweets - he’s no longer a modern NHL player. He’s attacking but not fast enough to be supportive. He can still offer something to the right team. As someone in the wrong side of 50 I’d like to see him have a good season and play respectably.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
IMG_4125.PNG

Reactions: The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Yeah those contracts are a gamble. I wonder what we couldve got for him in a trade back then

Trading a potential rental is usually a tough deal. At the 2011 Draft, Minnesota moved Brent Burns and a future 2nd rounder for Devin Setoguchi, Charlie Coyle, and a late 1st rounder. At the time, I didn't think Setoguchi would have flamed out like he did although his party reputation was known.

Burns was going into his final year of his contract, but I think San Jose was confident that they could re-sign him. Not sure if teams would have felt the same about Parise, especially now knowing that he and Suter were trying to be handcuffed.

I believe that LA (pre-Jeff Carter trade) was interested. When the Devils came to LA early that season, the Kings made a peculiar choice to start Jonathan Bernier. Jonathan Quick had posted three consecutive shutouts and had two full days of rest. That always felt like a Bernier showcase game to me.

The Kings moved Jack Johnson and a pick for Carter, but they knew they'd have Carter locked up long term so I don't know if they would have done the same for a potential rental. At the time, they had Slava Voynov and Thomas Hickey in the minors. Hickey had gotten passed up by Voynov and Jake Muzzin, so perhaps he could have been dangled as well (he'd be lost to waivers the following year).

So, at least in my head, a potential offer of something like Bernier, Hickey, and a pick seems plausible at the time, but with hindsight obviously doesn't look that great.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Nice to see Jagr sign with Calgary, I was hoping he'd play again. This will probably be his last year in the NHL.

I'm surprised that they'd rather waive Read than that shit bag Weise. I'm guessing that Read has less term left, and he's paid a little over a million more.

I'm not interested in Read though.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Lol wtf didn't he just come off of being suspended? That guy is absolutely a liability

Just came off being suspended in a pre-season game against the Blues. Now he's (finally) a repeat offender and likely to get a hefty punishment for this one.

Curious to see if his hit against Moore will be used as prior history as well given the similar circumstances (even though he wasn't suspended).

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
In hindsight it was for the best we didn't resign Zach and Kovy bailed.

One or both of those contracts would have been albatrosses.

Like the last 5 seasons haven't been one? Haven't exactly been banner seasons.

so we got screwed either way. Yeah I get it they aren't on our roster now and that's the real plus. But ask yourself coming off a cup finals run and they do bring both guys back. And say they win the cup in 13. Would you take that cup win and still have them now? Or how it's playing out now?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Melrose just said he thinks Tampa is better than Pittsburgh. Da fuq?

And also listed Dan Girardi, as if he was a great pickup. ''I think this is the best team in the Eastern Conference''. And also said he thought they were better than Pittsburgh.

I was much higher on Tampa before they signed Girardi, who will no doubt be a 20 minute a night defender. I think they'll probably be a playoff team. Maybe they can finish higher than Pittsburgh in the regular season, Pittsburgh didn't even win the division last year.

At least he didn't say Montreal, who they haven't even been over yet. It's on NHLN right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad