News Article: News and Notes XXXIV - is it time for us to make panic trades yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
In our system Fleury and Andersen won't be better than we have. Don't waste another pick/prospects, please.

If Lehner extends then Vegas will be well motivated to get rid of Fleury's contract. His 10 team NTC list makes that even harder for them. If Fleury would accept a deal to the Canes then the deal could be used to move out a junk contract like Gardiner/Nino plus maybe add another asset.

Plus Fleury's 2 year deal matches well for finding a better internal or external long-term solution in the next 24 months (Askarov, Kochetkov, Makiniemi or a UFA/trade)

Reactions: MinJaBen

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
If Lehner extends then Vegas will be well motivated to get rid of Fleury's contract. His 10 team NTC list makes that even harder for them. If Fleury would accept a deal to the Canes then the deal could be used to move out a junk contract like Gardiner/Nino plus maybe add another asset.

Plus Fleury's 2 year deal matches well for finding a better internal or external long-term solution in the next 24 months (Askarov, Kochetkov, Makiniemi or a UFA/trade)

I'd expect something like Gardiner/Mrazek or Nino/Mrazek. In the second case, Carolina could retain a little on Mrazek to make next year's salaries balance.

If Vegas is looking for cap relief for next year, I doubt Carolina makes as much sense.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'd expect something like Gardiner/Mrazek or Nino/Mrazek. In the second case, Carolina could retain a little on Mrazek to make next year's salaries balance.

If Vegas is looking for cap relief for next year, I doubt Carolina makes as much sense.

The Canes have plenty of Cap space if Vegas takes back one of Gardiner or Nino.

I'd rather get MAF + NJ 3rd or MAF + upgrade one of the Canes 2nds to a late 1st than include Mrazek/Reimer in the deal. I think there will be some market for Reimer after the goalie musical chairs are done and if there isn't then a buyout is cheap.

Reactions: Chrispy

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
MAF & Mrazek had identical .905 SV% this year, why waste the assets or cap space for a lateral move in net?

I admit I'd prefer going after Crawford to MAF for a short-term solution, assuming Markstrom is off the market and Demko isn't available to acquire. But if they will retain and/or Carolina can unload one of the problem contracts to allow them a chance to upgrade elsewhere, maybe MAF makes sense as a stopgap.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Re-signing Lehner looks like it would cap Vegas out. Considering they are probably going to want to make other moves or adds, I think they are in every bit the situation the Leafs were with Marleau, but for two years. They may not have impending RFAs to sign to big contracts, but they are a team that looks to improve while in this window. I don't see a reason to accept less than a 1st and to move at least one contract, whether that be (Gardiner/Nino/Dzingel/Reimer/Mrazek) based on that and the level that Fleury played at this year. If that's too rich, find another sucker.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I admit I'd prefer going after Crawford to MAF for a short-term solution, assuming Markstrom is off the market and Demko isn't available to acquire. But if they will retain and/or Carolina can unload one of the problem contracts to allow them a chance to upgrade elsewhere, maybe MAF makes sense as a stopgap.

I’d prefer them get a Crawford or Holtby as well, but you have to think they’d prefer to theoretically upgrade in net while also dumping one of Gardiner or Niederreiter. The problem would then be they’d have 3 goalies. I think though that at a minimum, Reimer would be easy enough to trade.

Fleury/Mrazek for 1 year as a tandem might be pretty friggin good...

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I’d prefer them get a Crawford or Holtby as well, but you have to think they’d prefer to theoretically upgrade in net while also dumping one of Gardiner or Niederreiter. The problem would then be they’d have 3 goalies. I think though that at a minimum, Reimer would be easy enough to trade.

Fleury/Mrazek for 1 year as a tandem might be pretty friggin good...

Crawford is a great choice....if he can stay healthy. That doesn't seem likely with his noggin issues. Holtby is going to be looking for more than I'd be comfortable giving him, or he'll just stay in DC. Plus, his good years seem like at least three years ago at this point.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Anyone think that with Murray being moved in Pittsburgh, that Fleury (with some sort of retention or a contract going the other way) ends up in Pittsburgh?
I don't know....they pretty much cast him off and have cap issues of their own. I'm not sure the Flower or JR think that is as good an idea as all of us fans think it is.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Every single player in the league needs to tweet support of the kid from the QMJHL who just came out. I don’t care if you’re a raging homophobic asshole, just f***ing tweet/instagram your support for f***s sake.

Even braver considering it’s Quebec. They’re not particularly well known for being tolerant people. Tons of racism there, too.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
The Athletic posted their Trade Big Board...

Skjei shows up at number 12. Apparently Don is getting "numerous calls" on if he'd be willing to move Skjei. He isn't opposed but would it would take a "no-brainer."

Incidentally, Ehlers shows up as number 10.

Reactions: AndreiThreeK

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Skjei shows up at number 12. Apparently Don is getting "numerous calls" on if he'd be willing to move Skjei. He isn't opposed but would it would take a "no-brainer."

I think moving Skjei is close to a no-brainer. Fleury looks like he can handle the same role with more physicality and less oopses. Bean needs to play every game—he apparently has experience playing on the right as well.

Either Fleury/Pesce Gardiner/Bean
or
Bean/Pesce Gardiner/Fleury with Fleury/Pesce together on the PK and used in the 3rd period when protecting a lead.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think moving Skjei is close to a no-brainer. Fleury looks like he can handle the same role with more physicality and less oopses. Bean needs to play every game—he apparently has experience playing on the right as well.

Either Fleury/Pesce Gardiner/Bean
or
Bean/Pesce Gardiner/Fleury with Fleury/Pesce together on the PK and used in the 3rd period when protecting a lead.

I like that idea. It's a bit of a trial by fire for Bean, but as you said it can be swapped around as needed. I'd like to have a TVR or McKeown in the press box in this case when a more defensive blue line is needed as well, but McKeown should be a cheap option to put in there.

But I also like Skjei and would like to see if Skjei-Pesce would work as a pairing like it seems it will.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
To resign Dougie will will need to get rid of either Skeji, Gardner, or Pesce (hopefully not Pesce). Hopefully by the end of next year both Skjei and Gardner will be moved out. Can’t have 4+ million dollar players on the 3rd pair when Svech’s contract hits and we hopefully acquire another top 6 piece.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The Athletic posted their Trade Big Board...

Incidentally, Ehlers shows up as number 10.

Reimer also on the list and Carolina is linked to Kuemper in the article.

Not surprising the Canes would be getting calls on Skjei. It was only a few months ago that Florida was shopping him around the league so the idea of acquiring him is probably still fresh in GMs minds. He'd certainly bring back a lot more value than Gardiner. I'd be bummed to see him go but if a Ehlers, Domi, Palmieri (extended), or #12 (Florida) is returned then they should listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->