News and Notes XXII: Now With More Finnish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

"As I continue to say, we've got a good player here who scores 30 goals," Waddell said. "We've had a lot of people talking to us. We think the market place is only going to get stronger because there are still some teams that think they're going to fill that void in free agency and there's not many players of his caliber out there.

"So patience will pay off for us in that situation. And if we don't get what we think are the right assets (in an offer) we'll bring him back and he'll be a good player for us on this ice."

A little change in tone there.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Good find.

Skinner's trade clause limits competition, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be had on the cheap. There's an internal threshold that teams wanting his services have to compete with; 1 year of Skinner is not valueless. With the depth in the organization, forgoing a 2nd + B-prospect, or whatever underwhelming return opposing fans want to see, is viable. Unless the team is really desperate to move him, I don't expect disappointment.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I had a problem when the contract was signed, but why does a player as young as Skinner (when he signed the contract) is even considered sore a NTC?
NMC. It's a great clause, it bars not only horizontal moves to other team but also vertical ones to AHL, if you can ask for one without paying through the nose in salary, get one.

Also, already having one now courtesy of having asked it years and years back when no one cared, he's in good place now to demand it again to his next contract as "it's an established part of Jeff's SPC".

His agent was earning his cut alright.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
NMC. It's a great clause, it bars not only horizontal moves to other team but also vertical ones to AHL, if you can ask for one without paying through the nose in salary, get one.

Also, already having one now courtesy of having asked it years and years back when no one cared, he's in good place now to demand it again to his next contract as "it's an established part of Jeff's SPC".

His agent was earning his cut alright.

I get that it's used in lieu of more money. I understand it with a veteran player. As young as Skinner was, it made no sense.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Perhaps the change in tone (though they've mentioned similar before) is also to hammer home what Cole was talking about. If you want out and/or the team wants to move you, you shouldn't be so quick to put restrictions on the process. Skinner might be ready to move on, but wants to control the process. Perhaps putting out there that we may be willing to keep him will motivate him to consider more options if he's ready to leave.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
cole is taking the reigns as team ambassador pretty seriously trying to talk to skinner through the media and get his ass out of here. he's not a stupid dude. he knew jeff would hear that. whether it has any impact on his decision making process remains to be seen, but to be so pointed about letting everyone know he has blocked trades and what erik himself did in those exact situations was as direct as it comes.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I get that it's used in lieu of more money. I understand it with a veteran player. As young as Skinner was, it made no sense.

102418263.0.jpg

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
It amuses me to no end how everyone now thinks that he is this excellent GM because of his time in Pitt. Yeah, real hard to win when you have Crosby, Malkin, and a stud goalie in the minors with enough cap room to still bring in others, all set up by the predecessor. But I still have plenty of hope that franchise is in for some dark years down the line after C&M start to decline, with his ability to panic mortgage the future to win now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad