Newfoundland to Trois-Rivières??

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

Obviously Short is much closer to the events going on than I am, but I've heard whispers from pretty solid ECHL sources that it's not a foregone conclusion the Growlers play ay Mile One this season.

While I don't think Manchester is on the table for the Growlers to play there this season it should be noted that based on their online event calendar the SNHU Arena is essentially empty of events and could easily cover Newfoundland's scheduled home dates.

Reactions: JMCx4 and Growler

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
It happened with the IceCaps and it will happen with the Growlers. If there is no deal, regardless of term, before the season starts, there will be no fans. A lot of the fans on Facebook have began to inquire about getting refunds for their season tickets. That is, if they even play at Mile One because even that is up in the air less than a month before the season starts. Overall shitty situation for all the fans in Newfoundland.

Reactions: Newfoundland

Growler

May 16, 2018
Once again SJSE has shown just how incompetent they at managing the facility. They could have a gold mine being the only entertainment venue on the province, but they are so short-sighted in how they view dollars and cents. This goes back to Leafs and Memorial Stadium, and frankly after this latest lease dispute I'm sure the Leafs gave their blessing of support to MacDonald to do what he need to do because they've had to deal with these same clowns. SJSE will never learn and now it will likely cost them not only one tenant, but two tenants and any chance of seeing professional hockey in St. John's any time soon

Sad day for Newfoundland. Professional sports in the province will end because of a bunch of elected city officials too incompetent to work in the private sector. The major Acts stopped going years ago. Other sports too.

Growler

May 16, 2018

Obviously Short is much closer to the events going on than I am, but I've heard whispers from pretty solid ECHL sources that it's not a foregone conclusion the Growlers play ay Mile One this season.

While I don't think Manchester is on the table for the Growlers to play there this season it should be noted that based on their online event calendar the SNHU Arena is essentially empty of events and could easily cover Newfoundland's scheduled home dates.

No way. Leaving St. John's this year is the ultimate f*** you statement to SJSE. The Edge are already leaving too.

With the Leafs picking up the entire cost of hockey operations and most of the player salaries, the club has the ingredients for a highly successful franchise --- somewhere.

Neill99

Oct 30, 2006
Come on who runs the Mile One Centre and the City of John's work something out.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Once again SJSE has shown just how incompetent they at managing the facility. They could have a gold mine being the only entertainment venue on the province, but they are so short-sighted in how they view dollars and cents. This goes back to Leafs and Memorial Stadium, and frankly after this latest lease dispute I'm sure the Leafs gave their blessing of support to MacDonald to do what he need to do because they've had to deal with these same clowns. SJSE will never learn and now it will likely cost them not only one tenant, but two tenants and any chance of seeing professional hockey in St. John's any time soon.

Assuming MacDonald goes full scorched earth, he could play this season in Manchester. Next season, sell the team and Boston becomes the affiliate OR team relocates to T-R for 2020-21 with Montreal as the affiliate. The Leafs could then either find an expansion club or partner with Brampton. Ottawa isn't really doing much anyway with Brampton. He does have option which is why I think I would going full scorched-earth at the press conference would not be a complete surprise.
The Echl Rushing into Manchester again does not seem like the best idea they should give the market time to build up the fan base again. Like Worcester and Portland had after the ahl left.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Sad day for Newfoundland. Professional sports in the province will end because of a bunch of elected city officials too incompetent to work in the private sector. The major Acts stopped going years ago. Other sports too.
It blows my mind that this situation has happened after one season of play. ONE SEASON.

The Mile One Center without a major tenant will be a rousing success for the city no doubt:rolleyes: Without knowing the details of the lease, it's hard for me to place all the blame on the city, but they are just about ready to destroy any reasonable possibility of having a hockey tenant in their building for a long, long time should the Growlers leave.

I hope sanity prevails and something can be worked out for you guys.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
What did Dean MacDonald & the Edge owner expect the outcome to be when they signed 8-month leases last November? Did they really believe St. John's city officials would hand over the keys to Mile One Centre with a zero down-zero payments-zero debt deal? Seems to me that the culpability for a poorly executed business agreement prior to/during the team's storybook ECHL championship run extends beyond the city council.

Growler

May 16, 2018
What did Dean MacDonald & the Edge owner expect the outcome to be when they signed 8-month leases last November? Did they really believe St. John's city officials would hand over the keys to Mile One Centre with a zero down-zero payments-zero debt deal? Seems to me that the culpability for a poorly executed business agreement prior to/during the team's storybook ECHL championship run extends beyond the city council.
You are missing a ton of the history

Reactions: wildcat48

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Just out of curiosity I googled the local elections, and the next city council elections aren't until Sept 2021. I was curious if MacDonald was looking to influence an upcoming race that might put someone in place who was more willing to compromise before next season. Doesn't seem like that is possible.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Can the Glacier support a ECHL team? I don't know how many seats it has
Assuming you're referring to the "Glacier" in Mount Pearl ... "Arena #1 has 85′ x 200′ ice/floor surface including: six dressing rooms, pro-shop, first aid room, referees room, 12 viewing booths, 1,004 fixed seating gallery capacity, concert capacity of 4,000, and crystal ice viewing room. ..."

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine

You are missing a ton of the history

I agree with Growler.... This is something that's been an ongoing problem dating back to the Leafs and Memorial Stadium. SJSE want to have all the benefits, but none of the responsibility. They simply refuse to discuss anything that might result in them having to pay or subsidize the tenant whether its reduced rent, concessions or advertisement. They have no clue how the building manager/tenant relationship is suppose to work, and when they get called out for such they circle their wagons and attempt to extract more from the tenant. It's happened to every tenant that been in either Memorial Stadium or Mile One.

Derm Dobbin, who owned the former QMJHL St. John's Fog Devils, finally had enough of SJSE and held the very same press conference in 2005 that Dean MacDonald is likely to hold tomorrow. Dobbin was just blasted SJSE, calling them and/or the lease a "train wreck” and “the worst case of a landlord and tenant relationship" that he ever experienced.

Among his concerns, Dobbin maintained Mile One was inflating some charges, such as ticket-printing costs and access to St. John Ambulance services on game nights.
ROBIN SHORT: Here we go again | The Telegram

Growler

May 16, 2018
Announced today that the City asked Dean MacDonald and the Growlers to come back to the table. Both the City and the Growlers have cancelled their respective News Conferences. Not only are the Growlers at the table, but the St. John's Edge (Basketball) are back at the table too, and they were rumoured to already be leaving.

The Leafs are in Newfoundland this week for Training Camp and the national media are there. Now the Ottawa Senators are in town too. Huge pressure is being applied, no doubt, to make a long-term deal.

Reactions: JMCx4

Growler

May 16, 2018
I agree with Growler.... This is something that's been an ongoing problem dating back to the Leafs and Memorial Stadium. SJSE want to have all the benefits, but none of the responsibility. They simply refuse to discuss anything that might result in them having to pay or subsidize the tenant whether its reduced rent, concessions or advertisement. They have no clue how the building manager/tenant relationship is suppose to work, and when they get called out for such they circle their wagons and attempt to extract more from the tenant. It's happened to every tenant that been in either Memorial Stadium or Mile One.

Derm Dobbin, who owned the former QMJHL St. John's Fog Devils, finally had enough of SJSE and held the very same press conference in 2005 that Dean MacDonald is likely to hold tomorrow. Dobbin was just blasted SJSE, calling them and/or the lease a "train wreck” and “the worst case of a landlord and tenant relationship" that he ever experienced.

Among his concerns, Dobbin maintained Mile One was inflating some charges, such as ticket-printing costs and access to St. John Ambulance services on game nights.
ROBIN SHORT: Here we go again | The Telegram

100% factual and only 1% of the long history with this ridiculous group of bureaucrats. They operate the Convention Center too, and it is managed so poorly and ineptly it is astonishing. There was one story where $50,000+ from an event was "lost" and no one was charged, nor an investigation done publicly. Swept under the carpet.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad