Newfoundland to Trois-Rivières??

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Newfoundland Growlers’ owner makes a road trip to check out Quebec rink | The Telegram

MacDonald visits under-construction arena in Trois Rivieres; he’s not saying whether ECHL champs might eventually move there, but declares “they’ve had it” with Mile One lease negotiations, adding team might play somewhere else in this province

Could Newfoundland be on its way to Quebec? It sounds like lease negotiations are taking a sour turn south and Dean MacDonald is now exploring his options.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It's pretty odd that a year 2 of a franchise has this kind of lease drama. One would think that the original lease agreement made sense for the team for at least a 5 year period before ownership would go forward with starting a new franchise.

Hopefully this issue can be resolved very soon. It puts a pall over a franchise which should be in celebratory mode after a magnificent inaugural season.

Neill99

Oct 30, 2006
Come on City of John's Newfoundland don't screw this up which I have a feeling they will with the lease I'm a Newfoundland Growlers fan.

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017
It will blow my mind if they mess this up. Every year is the same drama all over again. They should just sell Mile One and be done with it.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Sounds like mostly posturing to me, at least for nos. I doubt he is really serious about moving the team this close to the beginning of the season. Now, if they can't work out a long term deal that make sense for the team he will obviously need to move at some point. As I recall the deal almost fell apart two years ago, and they two sides barely reached an agreement in time to get the time on the ice for last season (league deadline is usually February). I would assume they can continue for 2019-2020 under the same terms if they don't come to a new agreement.

I can't see the Growlers owner wanting to purchase the arena, based on what he has said. If both team and the city are losing money, why would he want to invest more in purchasing the building, only to lose money on both the team and the arena?

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017
Sounds like mostly posturing to me, at least for nos. I doubt he is really serious about moving the team this close to the beginning of the season. Now, if they can't work out a long term deal that make sense for the team he will obviously need to move at some point. As I recall the deal almost fell apart two years ago, and they two sides barely reached an agreement in time to get the time on the ice for last season (league deadline is usually February). I would assume they can continue for 2019-2020 under the same terms if they don't come to a new agreement.

I can't see the Growlers owner wanting to purchase the arena, based on what he has said. If both team and the city are losing money, why would he want to invest more in purchasing the building, only to lose money on both the team and the arena?

I think they are mainly loosing money because of the high cost of the least. We are the highest priced arena in the Atlantic provicnes by far.

Reactions: Growler

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017
problem is not Deacon, it's the Edge ownership and kind of why it took so long to get the Growlers off the ground to start with

Yes, that is true. We had a new LED ribbon board installed and both teams were to supposed to pay half. It was close to 900K all said and done. The Growlers paid their half. The Edge didn't. Therefore it was stopped being used after a couple games.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
New team same drama. It’s ridiculous that this has to keep happening.

In my mind it’s mile one or bust too. There’s no other rink in Newfoundland that would be good for the Growlers. You MIGHT be able to make Corner Brook work, but they can’t even support their own senior team

Growler

May 16, 2018
It's pretty odd that a year 2 of a franchise has this kind of lease drama. One would think that the original lease agreement made sense for the team for at least a 5 year period before ownership would go forward with starting a new franchise.

Hopefully this issue can be resolved very soon. It puts a pall over a franchise which should be in celebratory mode after a magnificent inaugural season.

The issue predates the Growlers. ROBIN SHORT: Here we go again | The Telegram

Incompetent Public Officials are making Mile One Center into a Ghost Facility.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Growler

May 16, 2018
problem is not Deacon, it's the Edge ownership and kinda of why it took so long to get the Growlers off the ground to start with
That's not true whatsoever. The issue is far bigger than that split issue a year ago that was arbitrated. Growlers and Edge are in same boat now against a common enemy - Mile One.

Growler

May 16, 2018

He looked at purchasing the arena but abandoned that. The most recent intent was for Deacon to take over the operations management of the facility but the city did not disclose key financial figures in order for Deacon to propose a serious proposal. So the deal fell through.

Neill99

Oct 30, 2006
This thing is really happening shame on you city of John's you a great thing in Newfoundland Growlers that's a dum thing to force them out as fan you should care about the fans.:mad:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I'm really surprised. Hoping this is just last minute posturing to get a deal done for this season. I can't imagine they are actually going to fold, or move, this late in the off-season, but stranger things have happened.

BREAKING: Newfoundland Growlers Being Forced Out of St.John's - Press Conference Tuesday
Royals:
ACTUALLY, THIS HAS everything to do with Colorado being forced up by the Avalanche from the Telegram article as to why Newfoundland and MacDonald followed the procedure that got the franchise granted...... Colorado owners claimed their dormant franchise should've been the one granted to Deacon... not as an expansion team...

Colorado paid the ECHL 500k TO EXIT THE LEAGUE, but the owners claim they were denied the opportunity to sell the Eagles franchise for transfer, so what did the Eagles do..... they forced the league to commission a 4th version of the Kelly Cup....

Colorado did that in 2017. but now no longer has the rights to sue the ECHL OVER not completing a sale/transfer to another market similar to the Alaska transfer of territory agreement in Portland....

further clouding the issue was the Edge and that sidebar as to whether the two ownerships would coexist at Mile One, by the time that had been quelled, it was March of 2018, 90 days after the Eagles transfer window had closed...

Colorado owners claim they were not aware of Deacon, the Deacon group and the League position is they knew, but it's the decision of the League that's binding...

now the ECHL Eagles were estimated to be worth 800K, had the league chosen to go that route, and not expansion, which ultimately Deacon paid reportedly 1 M US to enter....

so who's @ fault here, is it Deacon, the Eagles or the league in general for not allowing a sale or transfer of a dormant franchise rather than expansion.... it truly has nothing to do with SJSE ON whether a lease could've been done or not

link to telegram article:

thetelegram.com/sports/hockey/kelly-cup-brouhaha-is-linked-to-newfoundland-growlers-entry-into-echl-320345/

Growler

May 16, 2018
Royals:
ACTUALLY, THIS HAS everything to do with Colorado being forced up by the Avalanche from the Telegram article as to why Newfoundland and MacDonald followed the procedure that got the franchise granted...... Colorado owners claimed their dormant franchise should've been the one granted to Deacon... not as an expansion team...

Colorado paid the ECHL 500k TO EXIT THE LEAGUE, but the owners claim they were denied the opportunity to sell the Eagles franchise for transfer, so what did the Eagles do..... they forced the league to commission a 4th version of the Kelly Cup....

Colorado did that in 2017. but now no longer has the rights to sue the ECHL OVER not completing a sale/transfer to another market similar to the Alaska transfer of territory agreement in Portland....

further clouding the issue was the Edge and that sidebar as to whether the two ownerships would coexist at Mile One, by the time that had been quelled, it was March of 2018, 90 days after the Eagles transfer window had closed...

Colorado owners claim they were not aware of Deacon, the Deacon group and the League position is they knew, but it's the decision of the League that's binding...

now the ECHL Eagles were estimated to be worth 800K, had the league chosen to go that route, and not expansion, which ultimately Deacon paid reportedly 1 M US to enter....

so who's @ fault here, is it Deacon, the Eagles or the league in general for not allowing a sale or transfer of a dormant franchise rather than expansion.... it truly has nothing to do with SJSE ON whether a lease could've been done or not

link to telegram article:

thetelegram.com/sports/hockey/kelly-cup-brouhaha-is-linked-to-newfoundland-growlers-entry-into-echl-320345/

Your ability to galaxy brain from a faulty premise and a lack of knowledge is staggering. Don't bother responding to me because I won't respond back. I am not going down another one of your incomprehensible rabbit holes.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Your ability to galaxy brain from a faulty premise and a lack of knowledge is staggering. Don't bother responding to me because I won't respond back. I am not going down another one of your incomprehensible rabbit holes.
that's from your own media that's nothing that could've prevented in 2018, maybe there should never have been a franchise placed there to begin with

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Kinda mind-bogging that they can't make it work. By all appearances it seemed to be an extremely successful first season with an extremely captive market.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Kinda mind-bogging that they can't make it work. By all appearances it seemed to be an extremely successful first season with an extremely captive market.

They lost a boatload of money this year, and while much of that is due to startup costs and paying a travel subsity they probably would have been OK were it not for their lease being one of the highest in the ECHL that I know of.

Growler

May 16, 2018
They lost a boatload of money this year, and while much of that is due to startup costs and paying a travel subsity they probably would have been OK were it not for their lease being one of the highest in the ECHL that I know of.
They did -- even with the Leafs paying ALL of the hockey operations (coaching, training, equipment etc.) and most of the player salaries. The Growlers were responsible for travel and venue. Even with the Leafs picking up a huge part of the costs of operating, they still lost money because of the stadium lease.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Once again SJSE has shown just how incompetent they at managing the facility. They could have a gold mine being the only entertainment venue on the province, but they are so short-sighted in how they view dollars and cents. This goes back to Leafs and Memorial Stadium, and frankly after this latest lease dispute I'm sure the Leafs gave their blessing of support to MacDonald to do what he need to do because they've had to deal with these same clowns. SJSE will never learn and now it will likely cost them not only one tenant, but two tenants and any chance of seeing professional hockey in St. John's any time soon.

Assuming MacDonald goes full scorched earth, he could play this season in Manchester. Next season, sell the team and Boston becomes the affiliate OR team relocates to T-R for 2020-21 with Montreal as the affiliate. The Leafs could then either find an expansion club or partner with Brampton. Ottawa isn't really doing much anyway with Brampton. He does have option which is why I think I would going full scorched-earth at the press conference would not be a complete surprise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->