NHL Entry Draft: NewDimension Updated First Round Mock Draft

newdimension

May 18, 2013
Just gonna do a first round to hold things over until after the lottery, after of which, I'll post an entire final 7 round draft. As of now, with the way things look, I'm predicting the semi-finals to be Vegas vs. Winnipeg; and Tampa Bay vs. Boston. In the finals, I'll go with Vegas beating Tampa for the Cup.

Lottery winners, via Tankathon: 1. Columbus; 2. Buffalo:

Comparisons and notes, as always, should be taken lightly. Obviously not everyone goes on to become their counterpart and so on, blah blah blah.

1. Columbus: Owen Power, D
Owen Power is going into the draft as likely the top guy available. Depending on whomever wins the first pick, it's likely to be Power as first overall. Beniers could definitely be an option here, too, especially with Columbus's need for centers. However, their defensive depth has gotten low in recent years, as well. In the end, they go with the guy they feel has the highest overall upside.

Comparison: Dustin Byfuglien, but without the brute-like physicality. As of now, Power isn't a Byfuglien type... but with his size and skating, he's got the potential to be. Standing 6'6", he's a huge kid that moves incredibly well, transitions pucks with ease and has an all-around, two-way element.

2. Buffalo: Matthew Beniers, C
With Eichel and Reinhart apparently wanting out, they may want to bolster their center depth by taking Beniers with their first pick. That said, if Pegula wants a "name", it could prompt their GM to reach and grab Luke Hughes. For now, though, I'll say they go with Beniers to keep their center depth strong. He'll be playing at the World Championships, so there'll be plenty of eyes on him.

Comparison: Ryan O'Reilly... with more speed. Essentially, he's a better skating Ryan O'Reilly. He's like a low-end 1C/elite #2C. He's got great two-way skills, transitional skill and can do a little of everything to help his team win.

3. Anaheim: Simon Edvinsson, D
If it were me, I wouldn't take him here... but the Ducks certainly fetishize size. Even with his less than stellar showings, Edvinsson is still ranked extremely high on certain lists mainly due to all the tools he has in his game. For the Ducks, they think he could become a stellar defensive mainstay for their blueline and a potential partner for Jamie Drysdale.

Comparison: Colton Parayko. Edvinsson's another tall, two-way defenseman that's got amazing puck-movement skill. He probably profiles as a two-way guy that shuts down opposition with his possession skills and reach, who's also capable of moving pucks up the ice.

4. Seattle: Dylan Guenther, LW/RW
Expansion teams usually tend to go with forwards for their first selections. In this case, they take the best forward available, in Dylan Guenther. They're going to need a player that'll help put puts in the net and that's exactly what his game is all about.

Comparison: Max Pacioretty. Guenther may not be a hugely flashy guy. Instead, he'll keep things simple and absolutely wire the puck. He'll shoot from anywhere on the ice and can be counted on to become a player akin to Max Pacioretty, who has been one of the steadiest goal-scorers within the past decade.

5. New Jersey: Brandt Clarke, D
Luke Hughes could be an option here. However, in my opinion, the Devils would likely be over the moon to grab Clarke at this spot. He's the younger brother of current prospect, Graham Clarke, and he brings exactly what they're looking for -- a right-shooting, offensive blueliner with some size for their backend. His play at the U18 has him jumping up the board, finding himself within the top 5.

Comparison: John Klingberg. To me, he's a lot like John Klingberg from Dallas. An extremely smart offensive defenseman that's tall and lanky, who shows off high-end hockey IQ and loves putting shots on net.

6. Detroit: Luke Hughes, D
If Hughes is still there, you'd see Yzerman trip over himself to draft him. He's exactly the type of player they'd want playing alongside Moritz Seider, feeling those 2 could be the cornerstone of their blueline for the next decade+. The fact that he's a Michigan kid, played in the Little Caesars program and will be going to the University of Michigan are just added gifts.

Comparison: Thomas Chabot. Injuries be-damned, he still profiles as a smooth-skating, minute-ending two-way defenseman with an underrated offensive game. He's excellent at transitions and is strong at both ends of the ice.

7. San Jose: William Eklund, LW
At this point, the Sharks simply grab whomever is the best player on the board. It wouldn't shock me if they went off the board and selected Fyodor Svechkov, as well. For now, though, I don't think they can pass on Eklund, giving them another high-end forward that they can build around, holding out some hope that he could even transition to being a center.

Comparison: Sebastian Aho. Incredibly gifted in terms of smarts, hockey IQ, motor and playmaking appeal. Downsides are his lack of size/weight. He might be able to switch to center like Aho did, but he's likely a winger.

8. Los Angeles: Jesper Wallstedt, G
Their depth in goal is pretty low end. By taking Wallstedt it automatically boosts their depth, along with giving them with future elite starter potential. He's dominated at every level, officially getting him draft as the highest rated goalie in years.

Comparison: Carey Price. Much like Price, in terms of technical skills and mindset, Wallstedt is elite. Also like Carey, he's coming in with major hype. He can be a calming influence in the net.

9. Vancouver: Kent Johnson, LW/C
While I don't think he's a center at the pro level, Johnson can still become an offensive weapon from the wing. As a BC boy, they'd love to add him. I could see him dropping a little due to teams concerned over his skating and lack of defensive skill... but as a pure offensive weapon, he's still a hot commodity.

Comparison: Casey Mittelstadt. It may sound like a bad comparable... but Mittelstadt but within this past season, Mittelstadt has finally found his game. They're both insanely gifted in terms of puck-handling and skill, giving them depth upfront.

10. Ottawa: Mason McTavish, C/LW
It's an easy pick for the Sens to make, feeling McTavish makes a perfect fit for their club. They need center depth and McTavish at the U18 proved that he can definitely play that role. They envision him as the power-center with elite shooting ability that could put up numbers playing with Tim Stutzle.

Comparison: Pierre-Luc Dubois. He's got potential to become a goal-scoring power center at the pro level that can be used as a Swiss Army Knife type. If you need him to shift to wing, he can do it. If you need him to play a power game, he can do it. If you need a shooter, he can do it.

11. Arizona: Forfeit.
If I'm Arizona, I'm kicking down the door and demanding that Connor McDavid joins their team or else Gary Bettman is getting stomped down.

12. Chicago: Sebastian Cossa, G
Thanks to his dominant performance this year, Cossa is rapidly jumping up the board and is even threatening Wallstedt as the top goalie within the draft. Even though they drafted Drew Commesso last year, I still think they would go with Cossa, hoping one of them turns into a high-end starter. Look, it's an insane year.

Comparison: Pekka Rinne. Big, tall, rangy and easily tracks pucks. With his size, he covers most of the net and can even move pucks quite well. He's shown himself to have high-end potential.

13. Calgary: Chaz Lucius, C/RW
The Flames are in need of more offensive players that know how to put pucks in the net. Enter Lucius, who's battle injuries, yet has done nothing but score. Whether he's a center or not at the pro-level is still up for debate. At minimum, they can shift him to their right wing -- an area they need to be filled -- and hope he can become a sniping winger.

Comparison: Brock Boeser. Lucius isn't fleet of foot, yet has an ability to finish. He's got an elite shot and his bread and butter will be shooting and putting pucks on net.

14. Philadelphia: Fabian Lysell, RW
The Flyers always draft still-first with their first rounders. If Lysell is there, they'd be thrilled to take him here. He was one of the few standouts at the U18s for Sweden, thus the Flyers feel he'd make an excellent pickup in this range.

Comparison: Jaden Schwartz. Undersized winger with tons of speed that can blaze up and down the wing to provide playmaking skill and all-around offense. A truly skilled winger.

15. Dallas: Brennan Othmann, LW
After his U18 tournament, Othmann's likely rocketing up draft lists. With Dallas's ties to Flint in the OHL, they could take a crack at Othmann, giving them someone with goal-scoring prowess along with physicality.

Comparison: Dustin Brown. Othmann, like Brown, hits hard, plays a tenacious game and loves to unleash plenty of shots on net. He can find a home in front of the net in order to tap in rebounds and deflections, while simultaneously playing a hard-nosed game.

16. New York Rangers: Fyodor Svechkov, C
Any team that misses out on Matthew Beniers would be through the roof to grab Svechkov. He's got the profile of another elite #2 center, which would be perfect for the Rangers, who are on the hunt for center depth. He'd add an element of all-around play, fitting in well with what the Rangers want in their players.

Comparison: Bo Horvat. He's already one of the best defensive prospects in the draft. He's also got nice offensive elements, especially in terms of transitioning the puck out of danger and into the offensive zone. He'll win key faceoffs, play against top lines and brings an excellent all-around game.

17. Montreal: Cole Sillinger, LW/C
If Sillinger's still there, Montreal would feel he makes a perfect fit. He brings a lot of what they're on the hunt for -- namely in scoring goals. While concerns over his skating and the fact that he's likely a winger at the pro level see him drop a little, he still comes with physicality and is a big-time scoring threat. They see a future where he makes an excellent combination with either Nick Suzuki or Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

Comparison: Joe Pavelski. Like Pavelski, Sillinger's a battler on the ice. He goes to the high-danger areas to tip in goals, has an elite level of shot that's capable of potting 30+ goals per season and brings some nastiness with his hitting.

18. St. Louis: Carson Lambos, D
They'll grab whomever they feel is best on the board. With plenty of holes in their core, Lambos makes a nice pickup for their defense, which needs some more bodies. The Blues will write off his previous year as an aberration and hope he can bounce back next year, feeling he can showoff the skill he showed in his previous year.

Comparison: Ryan McDonagh. For me, he could be like a younger Ryan McDonagh. He uses a big shot, has solid all-around play and can be someone that delivers some physicality while playing an all-around game. He's got potential for a top 4 on a blueline.

19. Nashville: Matthew Coronato, LW/RW
In need of more offensive firepower, the Preds look towards the American systems yet again, selecting Matthew Coronato. He set the USHL ablaze this year, torching them with his ability to put pucks in the net. They'll hope he can carry that same offensive ability over to the professional ranks.

Comparison: Vincent Trochek. Coronato's a hard-working, determined scoring winger that fights his way to the front of the net, unloads quick shots from the dangerous areas and can be counted on to provide offense, even if he isn't a huge kid.

20. New Jersey [from New York Islanders]: Zachary L'Heureux, LW
The Devils could really use a "shithead" on their team... and I use that term lovingly. He'll make it difficult to play against, hits hard and can be an offense-providing pest.

Comparison: Darcy Tucker. Kind of reminds me of Darcy Tucker when he played. Tucker was always a guy that you hated to play against, was always in his opponent's face, delivered plenty of hits and also made you pay with his complementary offensive skills.

21. Edmonton: Corson Ceulemans, D
The Devils blueline could use a few more bluechip prospects in their ranks. Ceulemans is someone that boosted his stock during the U18s and could find himself drafted even higher when the time comes around. For now, I'll have the native Albertan, Ceulemans, by the Oilers.

Comparison: Mikhail Sergachyev. I'm not sure if he'll be as good as Sergachyev, but there's a similar style of game. He can be a two-way defenseman that levels opponents with punishing hits, uses a hard point shot to produce and skates well up and down the ice to play an all-around game.

22. Minnesota: Nikita Chibrikov, RW/LW
The elusive, sparkplug Russian winger would make a solid winger for the Wild, who rely heavily on analytics now that Judd Bracket is running their drafts. They're likely well-acquainted with him via viewings of Marat Khusnutdinov and take Chibrikov here to pair those 2 together. With Kirill Kaprizov also in the fold, it re-energizes their hope in Russian prospects giving them an offensive push moving forward.

Comparison: Travis Konecny. He's an energetic, skilled, speedy winger that can take a hit as well as he can dish them out. He's got excellent vision and hands and a fire to succeed, fresh off his captaincy of Team Russia at the U18's.

23. Detroit [from Washington]: Isak Rosen, RW/LW
After selecting Luke Hughes earlier in the draft, their next selection is Isak Rosen, who makes it incredibly easy to select him. His performance at the U18 tournament sparked interest thanks to his offensive skill. They need more firepower upfront and is someone that their head of European scouting, Hakan Andersson, would likely love to add, joining a slew of other fellow Swedes in their rebuild.

Comparison: Jakub Vrana. Rosen's a talented forward that performs his offense off the rush and uses his shooting ability to wire plenty of pucks into the net. He's a guy that has 25-30+ goal upside as long as he can put it all together.

24. Florida: Sasha Pastujov, LW/RW
Pastujov was originally born in Florida, which might make a good story for him and the club. It gives them another talented winger with a lot of firepower, albeit someone that still needs to put in work in certain areas. He was one of the very few standouts at the U18 for the American squad, with the Panthers taking him here to boost their depth.

Comparison: David Perron. In a lot of ways, he's similar to Perron when he was drafted. Perron was a similar unidimensional forward whose skating was criticized. Over time, he worked on it and continued developing his all-around game and aggression. Pastujov will have to follow suit and likely follow the same things as Perron did in his career because he brings a similar skillset of "poor" skating with high offensive skill.

25. Columbus [from Toronto]: Aatu Raty, C
The Jackets would happily grab a falling Raty here. There plenty of viable comments and concerns about his skill level, especially after such a woeful year for him. All that being said, he's still a first round caliber player, with Columbus biting the bullet and hoping he can develop into a middle-six center for them, touching on their need for more depth.

Comparison: Jared McCann. Raty is an all-around center with some questional smarts. However, he's got some talent in his game that should allow him to possibly play a two-way role, along with having a really nice set of hands and is a quality shooter.

26. Minnesota [from Pittsburgh]: Simon Robertsson, LW/RW
As stated with their earlier pick, the Wild are a team that puts a lot of emphasis on analytics. Robertsson is one of those players that are an analytics darling. It might make them intrigued, thus they jump at the chance to take him here. Teams will rely mainly on his regular season play than his sub-par performance at the U18s.

Comparison: Adrian Kempe. There's a mixture of power winger and goal scoring in his game. He's got a really nice shot, good speed and can also be relentless in his attack, resulting in him creating turnovers and scoring opportunities.

27. Carolina: Francesco Pinelli, C/LW
If a team views him as a center, he could definitely go higher. The 'Canes could take him here, loving his multi-dimensional skills as a Swiss Army Knife type of player that can fill in multiple roles for them. He played in the much-lesser Alps league (WHERE?!?) during the pandemic... and, uh, he should be judged more on what he did at the U18s, I guess. Thankfully, he's got a lot of tools that Carolina would love... plus they tend to like their OHL kids.

Comparison: Alex Steen. Like I said, he's one of those Swiss Army Knives that teams love. He fills in multiple roles, plays center, plays wing, provides some slick offense and I think he can even fill in as a defender on a powerplay. All in all, he's a smart, all-around type.

28. Colorado: Zachary Bolduc, C/LW
I'm not sure if Bolduc can be a full-time center or not, but if he's still there, the Avs take the risk. They've certainly scouted from the Q in recent years and Bolduc could be an option for them if they profile him as a center. It'd give them some depth, at minimum.

Comparison: Drake Batherson. A two-way forward that has some skill and impressive shooting ability, Bolduc reminds me of Batherson in that regard. He's got decent size and also boasts some playmaking skill, with a potential to play in a top 6 if he develops well.

29. Winnipeg: Scott Morrow, D
The Jets have a need for a right-shooting defenseman in their system. As well, they tend to love their Americans and draft from American systems. Morrow would fit their mould, hoping he can keep developing into a high-end defenseman. He's coming from high school, so there's plenty of risk there.

Comparison: Shea Theodore. A lot of his positive and negative aspects remind me of Shea Theodore when he was drafted, ie: good size, excellent offensive skill, poor defensive play, turnovers, etc.. While I have no idea if he'll ever be as good as Theodore, the team that grabs him certainly hopes so.

30. Boston: Stansislav Svozil, D
They're a team that's been drafting "safe" in recent years. They probably keep that trend alive by taking Svozil with their first pick, hoping to rebuild their blueline.

Comparison: Jonas Brodin. The Czech defenseman plays a steady, all-around game. He may not be a huge offense producer... yet he can get the job done thanks to his impressive passing skill. He's a defensive guy that keeps calm under pressure and moves pucks with ease.

31. Columbus [from Tampa Bay]: Ayrton Martino, LW
If any team goes a little off-board, it'd be Columbus. This year, they could take a crack at Martino, who's been wow'ing with his attacking pace and play in the USHL, setting the league on fire. They're a team that's strapped for offense, feeling like Martino would make an excellent addition in that regard.

Comparison: Kevin Fiala. An undersized, yet all-out attacking winger. Martino provides boatloads of skill and offense, making him a potential first round candidate.

32. Vegas: Mackie Samoskevich, RW/C
They drafted from the Chicago Steel last year. They follow suit and select Samoskevich this year. He joins fellow Steel member, Matthew Coronato, in being selected to the first round, with Vegas usually taking the best players that potentially fall to them.

Comparison: Ryan Strome. Dangles and puck skill is what Samoskevich is all about. In terms of offense, he's got pretty good upside and is likely a playmaking winger at the top level.

Certain names just missing the cut: Logan Stankoven (size concerns); Xavier Bourgault; Aleksi Heimosalmi; Samu Tuomaala; Daniil Chayka; Oskar Olausson; etc.

newdimension

May 18, 2013
Not like the Sharks can't use center depth. I'd rather them go with McTavish than the lazy BPA pick

I was actually gonna go with them selecting Fyodor Svechkov at first, since I think they'd be a team that would go off the board for a center, especially Svechkov. But I saw that Eklund was still there, so I wobbled on it.

Reactions: Groo

KristichBabych

Jun 15, 2018
Thank you,really good to read! If Eklund is a kind of Nylander or Aho with lack of size, I thinks Mctavish should be draft before Eklund just because he haves a lot of more tools than Eklund, size/grit/shoot/ defensive play and should play without his helmet!

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
as a Devils fan id be thrilled with those picks, I could see them taking Corson Ceulemans for my added depth on the right side.

Hopefully Othmann doesn't shoot that high up the list and the devils can take him at 20 though. That I think would be the best outcome overall.

Reactions: nugg

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Yeah, who wants the Best Player Available? :rolleyes:

Ask Montreal and Arizona how happy they are they drafted for need (center depth) in 2018.

OP, I’d be thrilled with Eklund.
OP's BPA. Not mine.
Doesn't matter in the least two other teams swung and missed in a prior draft.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
OP's BPA. Not mine.
Doesn't matter in the least two other teams swung and missed in a prior draft.

Kinda hard to take your draft rankings seriously when you have to be at least 6’1” to even be worthy of drafting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad