NHL Entry Draft: NewDimension Pre-Summer Full Mock Draft

newdimension

May 18, 2013
Well, since the last time I posted one of these for HFB, not much has happened.

Literally. Not much has happened. Aside from a lower-tiered apocalypse, I guess. With everything that's happened, I can only guess the draft is going to held in the fall, after the playoffs... so, uh, maybe October? For this time, I'm going to use plainly what's given. I'm not predicting who'll win the play-ins, final 4, Cup winner, etc. since there's a whole complicated process that'd need to be followed.

As for my mock, my usual notes:

- I'm not a scout; hardcore watcher of every game, etc. This is all fan-made. I don't get to see every guy, but I do love keeping up with what people are saying, listening to podcasts, who likes who and so on. Comparables should be taken lightly, as obviously not everyone's going to live up to the guy they're compared to. In fact, most of these kids will likely not even make the league. It's fun for looking back in ~4-5 years, though!

- By the sounds of it, the lottery is happening late June, but it's hilariously complicated this year. For teams moving on in the play-in, I'm predicting the following teams move on: Pittsburgh; New York Rangers; New York Islanders; Toronto; Edmonton; Nashville; Vancouver and Winnipeg. The rest of the teams then get reseeded accordingly. If there are errors in the draft order, blame the overly complicated format. :)

As for the lottery, my results:
1. Anaheim
2. Ottawa
3. New Jersey

- Finally, there'll be a "tl,dr" per team summary at the end. Albeit, I may as well have a tl,dr summary just for my intro notes alone. :)

Anyhow, on with the mock draft...

======
Round 1
======

1. Anaheim: Alexis Lafreniere, LW/RW
Needing more talented forwards, winning the rights to Lafreniere would be huge for the Ducks. He, along with Trevor Zegras, should help the Ducks resurge as contenders, as he isn't far along from stepping in and making a solid contribution to whomever drafts him. He locked down his first overall status back in December at the World Juniors and the Ducks love Lafreniere down, thinking he's got future star player potential.

Comparison: To me, he's a hybrid of Elias Pettersson and Matthew Tkachuk. He's got Pettersson's hockey skills and smarts and Tkachuk's physicality and agitation. Mix a little bit of them together and you'd essentially have Lafreniere, making him an efficient two-way scoring threat that's strong in every area of the game.

2. Ottawa: Quinton Byfield, C
He matches exactly what the Sens look for in their players, having both size and skill. Having a late birthdate, he's a very raw talent, but they'll be willing to give him the developmental time. After years of abysmal luck and carnival-like shenadigans, things finally turn in their favor by winning a lottery pick. A potential lineup of Brady Tkachuk + Quinton Byfield could do some major damage.

Comparison: I think he has Mats Sundin-like potential... does he reach it, though? Who knows. It's a lofty comparison, though, so I'll go with a speedier version of Eric Staal... or maybe a taller Mika Zibanejad; especially the Zibanejad of this past year, in which he was on pace for 50 goals.

3. New Jersey: Jamie Drysdale, D
If they win yet another lottery pick, expect major groans. While Tim Stutzle would be the best player on the board, they may not pass on the chance to take Jamie Drysdale out of need. He'd help fill a hole on their right side of defense, which is a huge need for them, giving the Devils an elite puck-mover, who looked like a stud going as far back as the World Juniors.

Comparison: Kris Letang. His game revolves around his elite skating ability and his ability to transition with the puck. His skating and smarts should allow him to excel at both ends of the rink, allowing him to work a powerplay and be a positive possession player.

4. Detroit: Tim Stutzle, LW/C
They may not have the luck of winning a lottery pick, but luck remains in their favor with Stutzle still being there. I'm sure Yzerman would love to reunite him with his German counterpart, Mortiz Seider, whom they selected last year. The Wings need electric offensive talent, with Stutzle giving them exactly what. It's something they haven't had in years and they'd over the moon to see he's still there.

Comparison: I'd compare him to sort of an Artemi Panarin/Mathew Barzal type of forward. He plays at blazing speed, bringing plenty of offensive and playmaking skill, while putting up maximum effort each night.

5. Ottawa [from San Jose]: Lucas Raymond, LW/RW
After getting the huge Byfield with their first pick, they go to Sweden -- an area they've been comfortable drafting from before -- and they select Lucas Raymond. It'd give them an elite playmaking winger, who may also fit in as a center, who can provide an offensive outburst upfront. They could ideally ice a first line of Tkachuk-Byfield-Raymond if everything works out.

Comparison: Mitch Marner. He's a smart, shifty, playmaking winger with thrilling offensive ability and major upside as a top line playmaker. He can even play center; work a powerplay; and even works hard enough to play on a penalty kill.

6. Los Angeles: Cole Perfetti, LW/C
The Kings need some elite offensive talent. Perfetti would definitely fit that criteria, as he's able to succeed as both as goal scorer and a setup guy. His only drawbacks are his lack of size and lesser skating ability, but he can definitely work on the latter, while adding strength for the former.

Comparison: Nikita Kucherov. From the blue line down, he's an absolute offensive force. When Kucherov was drafted, he had similar attributes as Perfetti. He was undersized (and still is) and wasn't known as a great skater, but he's worked on all of that and used his extremely high hockey IQ in order to produce. That said, there's still a lot of risk with Perfetti. At worst, he could become a Casey Mittelstadt type of talent, whose issues can't keep him a full-time NHL'er due to size and skating issues.

7. Buffalo: Alexander Holtz, RW
Historically speaking, they've been pretty fond of Swedes. I know they're definitely looking out for depth at their right wing, especially if it's someone that knows how to put pucks in the net like Holtz. They figure he'd look great alongside either Jack Eichel or Dylan Cozens, thus they can't resist passing on him.

Comparison: Filip Forsberg. An absolute sniper, he loves to shoot the puck and has the best release in the entire draft. His frame seems pretty solid and he seems like someone that's pretty close to jumping to the NHL.

8. Montreal: Jake Sanderson, D
Despite drafting a bevy of defenseman last year, they're still unable to pass on Sanderson, especially if it's true that he's rocketing up draft boards. Some say he could potentially even overtaker Jamie Drysdale as the first defender taken -- who knows. He ticks off a lot of boxes Montreal likes in their players, though: good family history; high IQ; comes from an American system; excellent speed and processing ability, etc.. They need a shutdown defenseman to keep pucks out of their own end, thus Sanderson might be of high interest.

Comparison: Ryan Suter. Like Suter, he's the ultimate mobile, shutdown type of modern day defenseman. His skating is excellent; he's fantastic at closing gaps; plays an all-around, efficient style of game and can even be physical. He's got a late birthday, too, so they feel he's still got plenty of development left.

9. Chicago: Marco Rossi, C
Things could get reeeeeeeeeeally interesting here. With Marco Rossi still on the board, a team needing him/needing a center (hi Minnesota) could trade up to grab him, with Chicago trading back, hoping to get Askarov, who Chicago could want as their goalie of the future. For the sake of this draft, since I don't include trades, I'll just have Chicago taking Rossi right here, using the "best player available" strategy.

Comparison: Take Nicklas Backstrom's style of play and place it into Martin St. Louis's body and frame. He's got St. Louis's thick, powerful legs that allow him to compete despite his lack of height. Meanwhile, the way he skates, create plays and adds offense with a lot of two-way smarts is reminiscent of Nicklas Backstrom.

10. New Jersey [from Arizona]: Jack Quinn, RW
This pick depends heavily on the previous pick. If Askarov goes, it could be Rossi for the Devils. If Rossi is selected first, they could go for Jack Quinn... or even Askarov. With the Ottawa 67's being a team they draft heavily from, along with needing a winger, they could go for the goal scorer, Jack Quinn. Despite being a little older, he leapt up draft charts thanks to his breakout 50-goal season, with the Devils thinking he'd gel well with Hughes or Hischier. It wouldn't surprise me, too, if some teams have Quinn ranked higher than Rossi on their own charts, with Montreal possibly even selecting him.

Comparison: Kyle Connor. A pure goal scorer, Quinn rocketed up draft boards after putting up 50 goals in the OHL this season. He's got enough ability to do a little of everything, including having some intangibles.

11. Minnesota: Yaroslav Askarov, G
They've got some guys in development, Kaapo Kahkonen and Hunter Jones, to be exact. However, they don't have anyone that has the clear upside of Askarov. After finally getting Kirill Kaprizov signed, they may be less reluctant to target Russians and Askarov could be their guy, if he isn't already selected by Chicago. He's got All Star upside and has amazing potential as a starter.

Comparison: Tuukka Rask. Askarov's the full package. He's got size, athleticism, can quickly kick out the pads to make stops and has the highest potential of any goaltender to come along in way over a decade.

12. Calgary: Dylan Holloway, LW/C
It might be a little off-the-board, only due to Holloway's lack of production this season. However, I could really see Calgary loving him, especially with him being an Alberta kid, thinking he would have put up excellent numbers if he had played in the OHL this year. It'd also give the Flames some more size, hoping Matthew Tkachuk could team him a thing of two.

Comparison: Timo Meier. He's a versatile power forward with some skill. Thanks to his ability to play wing or center, he plays a Swiss Army Knife type of game with some power forward tendencies. He loves to hit and has a two-way game, as well.

13. Florida: Kaiden Guhle, D
A team such as Florida would love to take Guhle, who could use his size and mobility to help police the crease area, especially after selecting their goalie of the future last year. They could want to increase size on their blueline, along with shoring up their depth in front of Spencer Knight. He seems like their type of player.

Comparison: Darnell Nurse. He's an intriguing package of size and skating mobility. He's quite a raw prospect, with a lot of fine-tuning still to come in his development, but he seems like the type of physical defenseman that can keep opposing teams honest with his big shot from the point.

14. Columbus: Seth Jarvis, RW
The Blue Jackets need offensive skill. The best player that'd fit that criteria that's still on the board would be Seth Jarvis, who enjoyed a breakout 2nd half of the season. That 2nd half offensive outburst gets him surging up the board, where he is taken by Columbus, hoping he can keep pouring pucks into the net.

Comparison: Brayden Point. Undersized to a fault, he can be a prolific scorer and a feisty offensive catalyst, as was shown in the second half of his WHL season. He also owns an excellent release, which should allow him to provide offense.

15. Carolina: Anton Lundell, C
They've always shown an affinity towards Finnish players. If that's the case, Lundell could be an option for them here, hoping he can takeover from Jordan Staal in the future and play a two-way, 2nd line shutdown type of game for them. Concerns over his pure offensive upside result in him dropping down the board a little, with the Hurricanes glad to select him here.

Comparison: Alex Steen. While his skating isn't superb, nor does he bring huge offensive skill, he does have good shooting ability and positions himself quite well. He's likely a two-way center at the pro-level that fills in as a #2/#3 center.

16. Winnipeg: Connor Zary, C
With the health of Bryan Little in question, along with Blake Wheeler getting older, they'll likely want to walk away from the draft with a forward. Zary could be the best guy available and isn't too far off from making the NHL, thanks to being one of the older players in the draft.

Comparison: Bo Horvat. One of the older players in the draft, Zary's a guy that's almost ready to step in and contribute as an on-ice leader. He's got excellent two-way ability, loves to score goals and can be considered a pure workhorse.

17. New York Rangers: Rodion Amirov, LW
He's a very "Rangers type" of player. We know they've never been scared of the Russian aspect, even welcoming quite a few guys. He could be someone they view highly, feeling he'd make a nice value addition to the team, even loving his "clutch" style of play. He can play many different roles, all 3 forward positions and is extremely adaptable, which would be great for a team such as the Rangers, who keep their rebuild in flow.

Comparison: TJ Oshie. He can play any position, provide two-way play, has excellent hands and vision and puts many pucks on net. He's the type of player that plays in a top 6, playing a shutdown role or as a complementary offensive role.

18. New Jersey [from Vancouver]: Dawson Mercer, RW/C
Using this pick on the best forward available, the Devils target Mercer, who likely becomes a two-way threat at the pro-level. While he lost a little of his lustre at the end of the stretch, he's still got excellent skill and upside at both ends of the ice. He's the type of player the Devils should be grabbing to help build up their core.

Comparison: Justin Williams. He's a do-it-all type of forward that can fit in on any line, plays a well-rounded two-way game and is even known for sniping pucks. His versatility makes him a serviceable forward, with the only thing that could possibly hold him back is his skating and overall scoring ability.

19. Nashville: Brendan Brisson, LW/C
He could go earlier than expected, especially if a team likes his offensive upside. While he's probably a wing at the pro-level, he's capable of playing center and he showed excellent ability at the WJAC back in December, while playing for Team America. He's the son of hockey agent, Pat Brisson, who helped nailed down a deal with Matt Duchene last year with Nashville, so they may look towards the family and really like Brendan.

Comparison: Mike Hoffman. Armed with a bullet of a one-timer and keen goal-scoring ability, Brisson's an offensive forward with versatility. There are still some issues he needs to work on, yet he has top 6 offensive upside.

20. New York Rangers [from Toronto]: Noel Gunler, RW
For their second selection, they go for the player they think is best on the board. After seeing how well Nils Lundkvist has been developing with Lulea, they decide to aim their sights at his fellow teammate, the sniper, Noel Gunler. His projections are all over the place, with some mainstream lists having him near the end of the first round. The Rangers could take him around here, liking the talent he could bring.

Comparison: Andre Burakovsky. Gunler loves shooting the puck and is a shoot-first/shoot-often type of winger. He's got decent size and can be a complementary type of goal scorer at the pro level.

21. Edmonton: Ridly Greig, C/LW
An absolute firecracker on the ice, Greig might be an unexpected pick, but I could see the Oilers really liking him. When he's out there, he's one of the most competitive players on the ice, loving to rile up the opposition, whilst also bringing some offensive ability. Even though he isn't huge in size, he can be a heavy hitter and shift disturber, which is something they think would be great to play alongside McDavid or Draisaitl.

Comparison: At his pure top end, he could be similar to a Nazem Kadri or Tyler Bertuzzi. In other words, a player that can be in your face, act like a pest, provides offense, can be physical and provides an all-around energetic game, making it difficult to play against him.

22. Ottawa [from New York Islanders]: Hendrix Lapierre, C/LW
Assuming they keep the pick and don't try to trade up using their glut of 2nd rounders, the Senators take a shot at Lapierre, despite his concussion issues. The good news is that those concussion issues may have actually been a vertebrae injury, which is much more fixable. Nevertheless, he was absolutely dominant at last year's Hlinka, so he's still riding that wave, with the Sens taking the risk thanks to having 3 first rounders.

Comparison: Robert Thomas. Think of him as a playmaking forward that opts to pass often instead of shooting. He's low-maintenance, too, which should keep his penalty minutes down, allowing him to play a more cerebral, two-way game.

23. Dallas: Jacob Perreault, RW
The Stars have been known to draft heavily from the OHL. Perreault has NHL bloodlines, with his father, Yanic, being a former longtime NHL veteran. While he plays a much different style than his father, the Stars scoop him off the board, loving his offensive, shoot-first style of play.

Comparison: Victor Olofsson. An offensive, goal-scoring machine. He's got an excellent shot and release, loving to unload it to put pucks in the net. His skating is a little iffy, which keeps him in the late part of the first round, yet he's still a dangerous weapon.

24. Vegas: Braden Schneider, D
Schneider's the type of player that could go anywhere from #12-30. Vegas's has ties to the Brandon Wheat Kings, with Kelly McCrimmon being an owner of the club, so they'd definitely know what they're getting with Schneider. They need depth on the right side of defense and he makes perfect sense for them.

Comparison: Johnny Boychuk. He's a big, physical, shutdown defenseman. At top end, he could become a Jacob Trouba type, especially with his hard, booming shot. He's probably more likely to settle in as a Johnny Boychuk type, though, which is still a steady middle-pairing defenseman with physical and the same aforementioned shot.

25. Minnesota [from Pittsburgh]: Marat Khusnutdinov, C
Remember when I said they took the Russian goalie? Well, they double-down with Russians by taking Khusnutdinov. They're in need of centers and they shoot for the moon with Khusnutdinov, hoping it pays off. He may be small, but he's got plenty of flashiness and two-way skill in his game. Owning 2 first rounders, they can afford to take this boom-or-bust type of pick.

Comparison: Jaden Schwartz. He's got excellent ability at both ends of the ice. He can be shifty with the puck to create offense. Plus he's got really good two-way smarts that'll allow him to compete hard.

26. Philadelphia: Lukas Reichel, LW
With the health of both Oskar Lindblom and Nolan Patrick in question, they may want to take a forward with their first pick. They often use their first rounders on skilled players, so Reichel could be of interest here.

Comparison: Evgenii Dadonov. He's a talented, low-maintenance winger that gets to the dangers around, providing offense, by using his speed. He's a possible future Lady Byng candidate, in that he rarely takes penalties.

27. Washington: Luke Evangelista, RW
He's a linemate and housemate of last year's first round selection, Connor McMichael. They may look to reunite the two, hoping they can retain the chemistry that they've shown so far. They come from the London Knights organization, too. They've been known to like the system the Hunters work on, thus making him a nice off-the-board selection.

Comparison: Ondrej Palat. He's a playmaking winger with a lot of two-way upside and skill. He plays a smart all-around game and can fill in any role that's needed.

28. San Jose [from Tampa Bay]: Mavrik Bourque, C/RW
The Sharks need more prospects with offensive potential. They'd love to see him still on the board, thinking if he works on his game -- especially his skating -- he could have a lot of offensive upside. A late season injury could result in him falling down the board, but he remains in the first round, with the Sharks gambling on his skill.

Comparison: Nick Suzuki. Like Suzuki, he has to work on some issues, namely his poor skating and defensive play. If he can work those out, he could be similar to a Joe Pavelski type of scorer, whom I also compared to Suzuki in his draft year.

29. Colorado: Jake Neighbours, LW
The Avs are a team that's chock full of talent, currently making them perennial contenders. Someone such as Jake Neighbours could definitely interest them. He may not a top line producer, but he can definitely contribute fairly soon, even in a bottom 6 role. He's the type of hard-worker that'd do wonders in playoffs and in hard-fought battles.

Comparison: Nick Foligno. He's an on-ice leader, an in-your-face gritty worker with some offensive skill. He's the perfect type of plug-and-play type of forward and role player that'll be difficult to play against.

30. St. Louis: JJ Peterka, LW/RW
The Blues are the team that originally drafted Dominik Bokk a few seasons ago. They could venture back to Germany and target Peterka, whose play at the WJC definitely got him noticed. The second of his season was a little lacklustre, with the Blues thinking he'd make at least a decent middle-six forward that'll work hard and bring a lot of energy to the ice.

Comparison: Kyle Palmieri. He's not a huge guy, but he plays with plenty of speed, versatility and energy. He's got a good shot that can allow him to score goals, which should help him compete offensively. Likely plays as a middle-six type of winger with an excellent shot.

31. Anaheim [from Boston]: Helge Grans, D
Owning both the first and last pick of the draft, the Ducks would probably be thrilled to see that Grans is still here. He's got nice potential as a puck-moving, offensive defenseman, latching on to him here, hoping he can be a cog to their future. He'll need a lot of developmental time, yet hope he can put it all together at the pro level.

Comparison: Jeff Petry. Big in size and highly mobile, Grans can often have some brainfarts, resulting in turnovers and poor defensive efforts. However, if he can reach his top end, he could be a decent offensive defenseman with middle-pairing/powerplay QB upside.

======
Round 2
======

32. Detroit: William Wallinder, D
Deferring to his Swedish scouts, Steve Yzerman could target Wallinder, feeling he and Moritz Seider have potential to be twin towers for them on defense. Wallinder's still got development left to come, but could become a decent puck-rushing defenseman.

Comparison: Tyler Myers. He profiles as a big, mobile puck-rushing defenseman that could fit in as a mobile defenseman in a middle-pairing, #3-5 defenseman role.

33. Ottawa: Justin Barron, D
Similar to their selection of Hendrix Lapierre, Barron also suffered medical issues throughout the year. His blood clot issues might cost him to drop out of the first round. If so, he'd land in the laps of Ottawa, who'd be quite content at the thought of adding another right-side defenseman to help eat up minutes alongside Thomas Chabot.

Comparison: Haydn Fleury. He's a big, mobile defenseman that likely acts more as a shutdown defenseman at a pro-level.

34. San Jose: Jan Mysak, LW/C
For me, he's a surefire first rounder... and yet mainstream lists seem to exclude him for some reason. If the Sharks walk away with him here, they think they could be getting away with a huge steal. He came over from Europe halfway through the season and still put up excellent numbers, playing well at all ends of the ice.

Comparison: Rickard Rakell. A versatile, instinctively smart player that loves putting pucks at the net and knows where to go in order to score and who knows how to play an all-around game.

35. Los Angeles: Ryan O'Rourke, D
The Kings need depth on their blueline. With O'Rourke still on the board, they'd find it hard to pass on him, loving all the little things he does to help win games. He's the type of player that'll make it difficult for opposing forwards to play against their team, which would be well-accepted.

Comparison: Kevin Bieksa. Often referred to as a "throwback" type of defenseman, O'Rourke is a mobile kid that hits hard, blocks shots, has a howitzer of a shot and can keep the puck in motion. He's an all-around type that can help a team in many ways.

36. Anaheim: Tyson Foerster, RW
If Foerster's on the board, he could be of use. He's a pure shooter, loving to hammer pucks towards the net, using his deadly shooting ability. He's been rising up draft lists all season long, never once moving his foot off the pedal, giving them a sniper that can play alongside Zegras and Lafreniere.

Comparison: James Neal. He's a big, shooting winger whose game heavily revolves around his shit. There are other aspects of the game he needs to clean up on, namely his skating, but his shooting skill is bar none.

37. Nashville [from New Jersey]: Joni Jurmo, D
The Predators are a team that draft a lot of defenseman, wanting to keep their blueline strong. They reach a little with Jurmo, ultimately loving his combination of size and speed/skating ability. He's got a lot of tools, with the Preds hoping to hit a homerun.

Comparison: Rasmus Ristolainen is probably his pure upside as a big, incredibly mobile, puck-rushing offensive defenseman. Otherwise, maybe he only bottoms out as a John Moore type of big, speedy defender.

38. Buffalo: Drew Commesso, G
Rumors swirled that they were interested in Spencer Knight last year. This year, they could take Commesso, who frankly had just as good of a season as Knight. He's coming from American systems, which the Sabres tend to love, also giving them some more quality depth in goal.

Comparison: Carter Hart. He combines good athleticism, skill and a calming influence. He even has the prerequisite size teams look for in modern day goaltenders.

39. Montreal: Sam Colangelo, RW
Looking for depth and size on their wing, the Habs grab Colangelo, who profiles as a power forward with some goal scoring capacity. He's the second person from this year's dynamite Chicago Steel team to be drafted, with more to come. At minimum, he'd give the Habs some size on their wings, which would be a welcome addition due to all of the smaller forwards they've accumulated.

Comparison: Anders Lee. I'm not sure if he could ever hit 40 goals, ala Lee, but he's of similar ilk. He's a goal scoring power winger that likes to be physical and has a lot of tools. He's got to work on his skating, but he profiles as a potential top-to-middle-six power-scoring winger.

40. Montreal [from Chicago]: Ozzy Wiesblatt, RW/C
He seems like the type of high-character player the Habs would love. With some peskiness to his game, they see him as an all-around catalyst of both offense and defense, willing to do all the little things to help win games. That warrior attitude is what the Habs look for; thus they could be all over him.

Comparison: Anthony Beauvillier. Not the biggest in size, he makes up for that with a high-motor, coming to play every night, while also having enough skill, hockey IQ and playmaking ability to put up points.

41. Arizona: Jack Finley, C
After the big kerfuffle over them holding illegal combines with CHL players, it probably tips their hat to them looking hard at guys in the OHL/WHL/QMJHL. Standing 6'5"+, Finley's a huge center and is one of the youngest players in the draft, which impresses the Coyotes, who need some size down the middle. Right now, he's already defensively solid. If he can work on his offense, he could be a huge (literally and figuratively) steal. It's another big forward to help insulate their smaller forwards.

Comparison: Adam Lowry. He's a 6'5" right-handed center that matches up well against other team's offensive players, plays a hard-nosed game and can be a dynamite two-way forward. I'm not sure if his offensive upside is huge, but he can impact the game in many other ways with physicality, killing penalties, winning key faceoffs, etc.. He'd probably be a good net-front presence on a powerplay, too.

42. Minnesota: Thomas Bordeleau, C/LW
The Wild go for another talented forward that can potentially play center. If he were a few inches taller and a little faster, he'd absolutely be picked in the first round. He's the latest member of the all-star Chicago Steel team to be picked, with the Wild hoping he can deliver offensively.

Comparison: Mikael Granlund. Whether he's a center or a winger, he likely plays as a playmaking forward with some shiftiness and creativity. His shot is underrated, as well and so is his defensive play.

43. Calgary: Topi Niemela, D
The Flames need defense. Niemela's a good first step to rebuilding that blueline. He's a multi-purpose defenseman that does a little of everything, making him a versatile pickup. Their right side of defense could use a few more bodies, so he might be ideal.

Comparison: Michal Kempny. Mobile defenseman that can do a bit of everything. He transitions well with the puck, can be physical and brings a two-way appeal.

44. Florida: Vasily Ponomarev, C/LW
Liking Ponomarev's versatility and all-around game, the Panthers could snatch him off the board. He's a potential center, too, which would absolutely intrigue them. A solid WJAC gets him rising up the rankings, even though a season campaign in which his stats didn't breakout keeps him out of the first round.

Comparison: Jakob Silfverberg. Feisty, two-way forward with an excellent ability to shoot and handle the puck. He can play wing or center and is a dual-threat forward that works hard in the corners.

45. Ottawa [from Columbus]: Tyler Kleven, D
Adding some size, they look towards a program that they've drafted out of pretty heavily, North Dakota. With bruising size and physicality, he'd make a welcome addition to the Sens blueline, as they genuinely love to add players with size. He'll be counted on to do a lot of dirty work if he makes it to the NHL.

Comparson: Brenden Dillon. An absolutely punishing hitter, Kleven may not be a huge offensive contributor, instead playing the game with brute physicality and shutdown skill.

46. Carolina: Yan Kuznetsov, D
Ever since drafting Svechnikov, they've been more welcoming to Russians. Kuznetsov could be an option for them here, giving them a big defenseman with decent mobility and shutdown appeal. He's been developing within American collegiate systems, too, which is a further bonus.

Comparison: Phillippe Myers. I'm not sure how much offense he can bring, but he can be a solid defender with some physicality, size and ability to squeeze opponents out along the boards. More likely a shutdown type with some mobility.

47. Winnipeg: Ty Smilanic, LW/C
The Jets love drafting Americans. Smilanic could be the latest addition. He fits the profile of the type of forward they tend to like drafting from American systems: fast, good skater, some offensive skill. Seems very on-brand for them. Headed into the season, he was touted as a first rounder, with illness/injuries knocking him into the 2nd.

Comparison: Kasperi Kapanen. He's a speedy, attacking forward, whose aforementioned speed should allow him to at least make it as a middle-six forward that can also score goals.

48. Carolina [from New York Rangers]: Roni Hirvonen, RW/C
Like their selection of Anton Lundell, the Hurricanes return to an area they know quite well: Finland. Hirvonen's been playing against men and they hope they've just found the next Sebastian Aho. If the Hurricanes have faith in one thing, it's drafting from Finland.

Comparison: Vincent Trochek. Undersized prospect with excellent two-way and playmaking tendencies. Hirvonen can play in any role given to him and can work both powerplays and a penalty kill.

49. Los Angeles [from Vancouver]: Jeremie Poirier, D
With quite a few picks dispersed throughout the draft, the Kings can take a risk on Poirier, the offense-only defenseman. Obviously, he's extremely boom or bust, as he's a disaster in his own zone and on defense. If he can figure out his game, though, he could have some really nice upside, with the Kings giving him a chance.

Comparison: At top end, he could become a Mike Green-like type of offensive defenseman that can unload loads of shots on net. His defensive awareness is where he struggles, along with some iffy skating. As such, he may only become a John Gilmour-like type of AHL offensive defenseman.

50. Nashville: Tyler Tullio, RW
He's the linemate of current Nashville prospect, Philip Tomasino. It may be in their best interest to reunite them, hoping they can keep their chemistry afloat. Not the greatest of size, but he's got a fire in his belly and seems like someone they'd like to help with their production.

Comparison: Robby Fabbri. He's an energetic ball of fire with some two-way skill. He's a complementary type of forward that'll work hard, show some two-way skill and bring energy to the ice.

51. Toronto: Martin Chromiak, LW/RW
Like their selection of Nicholas Robertson last year, Chromiak's one of the youngest players in the draft. Robertson seems to be blooming quite well; and they can hope the same for Chromiak, who came over to play in the OHL from Europe... and put up good numbers.

Comparison: Oliver Bjorkstrand. He's a guy that can fire a lot of rubber at the net and score many goals. There's still a lot he has to work on, but there's much to life, possibly topping out as a complementary scorer.

52. Detroit [from Edmonton]: Theodor Niederbach, C
Again, they look towards their Swedish scouting staff, eyeing Niederbach. It gives them another potential center for their depth, liking his playmaking-style of play. Injuries kept him out all of last season, resulting in a lot of lost developmental time, which also results in him dropping down the board. At this range, it's a really nice project to have.

Comparison: Derek Stepan. Niederbach's a playmaking center with good smarts and skill. His leg injury that he suffered last year may hamper his mobility; plus it could have ruined some good developmental time. He's still got upside as a #2/3 center with playmaking skill.

53. Ottawa [from New York Islanders]: Dylan Peterson, RW
As stated previously, the Senators love drafting for size. Even if his upside is only that of a third line forward, it's still someone they feel can insolate their other talented forwards. They love their Americans and he seems pretty on brand for them.

Comparison: Lawson Crouse. Standing 6'4", he's a big power winger that uses his size, along with a decent set of hands in order to work to his advantage. There used to be a time when players like Peterson would be drafted in the first round, but with teams focused more on skill these days, he drops into the 2nd, making him an interesting option to track.

54. Ottawa [from Dallas]: Nico Daws, G
The Sens will likely want to walk out of the draft with another top goalie prospect as well. They like their goalies to have size, so he'd join other giant goalies, Marcus Hogberg and Mads Soogard as potential players for their system. They'll hope at least one of them will breakthrough and become useful.

Comparison: Devan Dubnyk. He's a goalie with great size and athletic appeal. Like Dubnyk, he can go through hot streaks and cold streaks. There's a lot to like, though.

55. Los Angeles [from Vegas]: Daniel Torgersson, LW/RW
Drafting Swedes has worked out okay for them. They may target the power forward from Sweden, Daniel Torgersson, for their third pick of the round. They've got some talented forwards in develop and they could think he's the type of complementary type that'd work well on a line with them.

Comparison: Joel Armia. Not the fastest skater on the ice, he makes up for it with his big body, hockey sense, shooting and two-way play. He's the type of guy that can work PKs, drive to the net and go to the dirty areas to help squeak out wins.

56. Chicago [from Pittsburgh]: Joel Blomqvist, G
They've been pretty good with drafting Finns. After passing on Askarov in the first round, in favor of Marco Rossi, they decide they have to take a goalie this round. Grabbing the best guy available, they latch on to Blomqvist, hoping he can develop into their starter of the future.

Comparison: Tristan Jarry. He plays a very calm, in control style of play, opting to play a technically sound game. He's got good size and has all of the things to make him a potential starter.

57. Philadelphia: Eamon Powell, D
Once again, the Flyers head back to American collegiate rankings, selecting Powell. The right side of their blueline needs some depth and this selection hits on that. Hoping he'll be worth it, he should be a longterm option to help out with their transition in about 3-5 years.

Comparison: Devon Toews. He's an incredibly mobile, versatile defenseman that likes to keep pucks in transition and has potential to be a middle-pairing defender.

58. Detroit [from Washington]: Lukas Cormier, D
He's a first round talent that falls to the late 2nd due to his lack of size. If he were 6', he'd be a top talent, but he's only 5'9"/5'10", so he'll fall. For the Wings, it'd be a great pickup in this range, giving their blueline some more talent and skill.

Comparison: Samuel Girard. His gave revolves around his dynamic speed and puck-carrying skill. He's got a two-way game, which would be very welcome to the team that drafts him.

59. Tampa Bay: Alexander Pashin, RW/LW
Woefully undersized, Pashin makes up for that with abundant skill and talent. This Russian forward screams "Lightning pick", as he's the type of high-risk/high-reward talent that they've been known to take swings at.

Comparison: Jonathan Marchessault. Tiny, offensive forward that also brings an impressive two-way game that keeps opponents on their toes. He's a danger any time he's on the ice, with his lack of size being his major drawback.

60. San Jose [from Colorado]: Shakir Mukhamadullin, D
His stock may have jumped after helping Russia win the WJAC back in December. A team such as San Jose could take him, as they've been known to invest in big, raw European prospects. He still need a lot of work, especially defensively and with the puck, but there's size and potential there.

Comparison: Sheldon Souray. He's a big, tall, physical defenseman that's also armed with a big, heavy, booming point shot. His shot alone should get him some powerplay time. Like Souray, he can have some defensive problems and issues with turnovers.

61. Montreal [from St. Louis]: Emil Heineman, LW
They've taken a Swede in the past few drafts. On top of that, they've also recently signed a new Swedish scout. They could take a look at Heineman and his huge breakout season this year and think he'd be a nice pickup for them, as they often love players that show stark progression.

Comparison: Alex Killorn. He profiles more as a complementary type of forward, possibly more in a 3rd line role. He does do a lot of good things, from working hard, has some physicality and can even score goals.

62. Boston: Jaromir Pytlik, C/RW
Pytlik feels like the type of hard-working, sizeable player that they tend to like. While his offense has yet to come along, he's shown he can be excellent defensively. The Bruins could take him, thinking he'd make a good depth center/winger at the pro level.

Comparison: Radek Faksa. He's a defense-first forward that works like a dog on the ice, especially on a penalty kill. He can help shutdown opponents and adds size and two-way skill to any line he's put on.

======
Round 3
======

63. Detroit: Roby Jarventie, LW
Adding some size and skill to their wings, they take Jarventie, who'd be a nice longterm project to build upon. His addition of size and speed would be a welcome addition to the other skilled forwards they're targeting in this draft.

Comparison: Warren Foegele. Speedy winger with potential to be a depth scoring option at the league level. He's got the strength to work corners, play along the boards and goes to the difficult areas.

64. Ottawa: Jean-Luc Foudy, C/RW
Hands down, he's the best skater in the draft. The only thing that holds him back from getting drafted higher would be his lack of consistency in terms of offense and his perimeter play. He's already got the skating ability, if he can figure out how to increase his compete level and hockey sense, he'd make a nice gamble.

Comparison: Mason Raymond. His game is based around pure speed and skating. The main question is if he can bring anything other than that? If not, he's probably a bottom 6 type of speedy forward, which is still useful, especially during penalty kills.

65. Detroit [from San Jose]: Jan Bednar, G
The Wings will probably take at least 1 goalie in this draft. It helps build up their depth in net, with Bednar possibly being the best option at this point. He's got a late birthday, which means he's got loads of depth and development left to come. He could be a potential goalie of the future for them.

Comparison: Martin Jones. He's a large goalie with some consistency issues. He can run hot/cold, but still has enough upside to be a potential starter a little down the road.

66. Los Angeles: Justin Sourdif, RW
He profiles as a middle-six offensive forward with some two-way skill. The Kings have taken some talent from the WHL before, they may opt to go back there and take on Sourdif, whose inconsistency causes him to drop into the third. For his talent, it's a good pickup in this range.

Comparison: Sam Steel. He's got excellent speed and offensive skill, able to create plays on the rush. On the other hand, he can be a little lackadaisical and be too much of a perimeter type of player.

67. Anaheim: William Villeneuve, D
Grabbing another right-shot defender, the Ducks are keen to shore up that area of defense. They've been known to make some smart selections from QMJHL fallers, with Villeneuve being a wise pickup here. He was partnered with Jeremie Poirier last season and put up nice numbers. They'll hope he can replicate that, while also fixing his skating.

Comparison: Marcus Pettersson. When I think of Villeneuve, I think of a thin, lanky defenseman that keeps things simple, keeps the puck in motion and is able to put some points on the board. Therefore, Pettersson is possibly the most apt comparison.

68. Vegas [from New Jersey]: Daemon Hunt, D
They go back to the WHL and take a chance on Hunt, whose season was shortened by a longterm injury. They based this selection mostly from his play last year, where he was a two-way, defensive stud. If he can bounce back from the injury he suffered last year and put in a good season, they'd really appreciate it.

Comparison: Ryan Lindgren. He's a competitive defenseman that likes to shutdown opposing forwards and plays a solid all-around game.

69. Carolina [from Buffalo]: Evan Vierling, C
They've gone to the Barrie Colts in the past 2 drafts with Ryan Suzuki and Tyson Foerster. They could go back there again this year by taking Vierling, who gives them more depth down the middle. There may be concerns over his attitude after he refused to play for Flint... but I think it gets looked over and he gets picked fairly high; especially when teams love centers.

Comparison: Anthony Cirelli. He's a two-way center that can carve you up in multiple ways. He's fast, plays a smart all-around game and can make plays.

70. Montreal: Brock Faber, D
With Faber, the Habs are getting someone they could definitely rank fairly high. He's an American defenseman, which they love, and he plays on the right side, fitting a need. A guy like Faber has definitely NHL potential, even if it's just as a third pairing guy.

Comparison: Travis Dermott. He's a mobile, positionally sound defenseman that can do a little of everything. He's got good hockey smarts, can keep the puck in motion, add some physicality and help shutdown opponents.

71. Chicago: Sean Farrell, LW/C
They look to the Chicago Steel and draft Sean Farrell, the undersized, yet highly skilled two-way, playmaking forward. His height keeps him out of the 2nd round, but he's got nice potential as a middle-six forward with skill. They may find it hard to pass on him here.

Comparison: Tyler Johnson. Undersized, yet has really nice playmaking ability and skill. Farrell can battle for pucks, put up points and can make it tough to play against.

72. Washington [from Arizona]: Emil Andrae, D
Needing some puck-movers, the Capitals jump all over Andrae. His lack of size is going to push him down the board, but he's got first round potential. If he were any taller, you'd find him in the first round. Alas, the Swedish defender is happily yanked off the board by Washington, who needs some skilled blueliners.

Comparison: Torey Krug. A 5'9" offensive defenseman that doesn't play like he's undersized. He's known for his ability to provide offense from the blueline, excellent transitional play and can even lay the body on other players.

73. Nashville [from Minnesota]: Tristen Robins, RW
Robins did a great job to work himself up draft lists. He's the type of energetic forward that the Preds need in their lineup. He's definitely got pro potential, giving them depth that'll be much needed.

Comparison: Tomas Tatar. He plays with a ton of speed and effort. He can be an energetic forward that provides offense, as he never stops moving his feet and likely adds depth to a team's forward core.

74. Calgary: Mitch Miller, D
Adding an offensive-inclined defenseman, the Flames boost up their blueline some more. Like Niemela before him, he plays on the right side, giving them a boost in that area. They'll let him develop and hope he can work out.

Comparison: Neal Pionk. He's an offensive defenseman that can move the puck, put up points and can even lay the body with physicality.

75. Florida: Donovan Sebrango, D
Sebrango's able to play on either side of the ice, which adds nice value to any team that grabs him. At his best, he can be a simple, yet effective, defenseman that keeps things calm under motion and play hard for his team.

Comparison: Justin Braun. While he's probably not a high-end defender, he can be a guy that logs a lot of ice time, makes it hard to play against and works hard whenever he's on the ice.

76. Los Angeles [from Columbus]: Alex Cotton, D
Grabbing an overager, the Kings take Cotton, who put up excellent numbers this year after a breakout campaign. Thanks to being older, they can sooner sign him and put him to work in the AHL, where he can try looking for a spot on the roster.

Comparison: Cody Franson. He's a hard-shooting offensive defenseman with decent size. His skating needs a lot of work, but he can provide offense in a support role.

77. Carolina: Wyatt Kaiser, D
The 'Canes love their American defensemen. A smooth, speedy puck-mover such as Kaiser would be right on brand for them. Hoping he can continue developing at his current pace, Kaiser would add speed to their blueline, giving them nice depth.

Comparison: Trevor Daley. Thanks to his speed and skating, he's the type of player that could certainly go higher than expected. He can be very effective at both ends of the ice, using his speed to produce in a well-rounded style.

78. Ottawa [from Winnipeg]: Luke Tuch, LW
Still building up their forward depth, the Sens grab another American power forward. This time, it's the younger brother of Vegas winger, Alex Tuch. Like his brother, he's got size, albeit maybe not as much offensive skill. He's the type to battle for a bottom 6 type of role, though.

Comparison: Sammy Blais. He's a complementary winger with aggressiveness, physicality and can make it hard to play against.

79. New York Rangers: Anton Johannesson, D
It's another swing for the fences pick. This time, it's the Rangers taking Johannesson, who's undersized, yet can put up a lot of offensive firepower. Thanks to his size, offense-first mindset and his injuries, he's quite boom-or-bust, with the Rangers taking a shot, hoping he can learn from the likes of Anthony DeAngelo and Adam Fox.

Comparison: Shayne Gostisbehere. He's an offense-first, undersized defenseman, which, of course means there'll be a lot of defensive flaws. He'll have to put on strength and work on some other aspects of his game, but the team that grabs him would have a fun time watching his development.

80. Vancouver: Michael Benning, D
Maybe it's nepotism, what with Michael Benning being Jim Benning's nephew and all. Maybe it's a draft for need, since the right side of their blueline needs some depth. Nevertheless, he's got good upside as an offensive defenseman, albeit a guy that's lacking in size.

Comparison: Ty Barrie. He's a smaller, slight offensive defenseman that brings a lot of ability from the backend.

81. Nashville: Artem Shlaine, C
Centers always have high value and go earlier than expected. Someone such as Shlaine might make a good depth move for the Preds, who look to embolden their strength down the middle.

Comparison: Sean Kuraly. He's a smart, hard-working center that skates hard and fast to the net and is willing to pay the price to contribute.

82. Colorado [from Toronto]: Daniil Guschin, LW/RW
He brings a bevy of offense in a tiny package. The Avs have been known to draft a few Russians to help build up their core. Guschin could be of service, as he is already developing within North America.

Comparison: Cam Atkinson. Undersized skilled winger that brings a lot of offensive skill, along with an excellent shot. Despite his lack of physicality, he knows how to put pucks in the net.

83. Edmonton: Carter Savoie, LW
An absolute sniper, Carter Savoie tore up the AJHL last season. Despite his skill and scoring ability, there are concerns over his lack of size and lesser skating ability and it results in him falling into the third round. For the Oilers, they'd love to take an Albertan kid.

Comparison: At top end, he can be a Mike Cammalleri type of short sniper. Otherwise, maybe he's a Reid Boucher type of forward, who wasn't able to get his game together.

84. New York Islanders: Dmitri Zlodeyev, C
The Islanders need center depth and it's exactly what Zlodeyev provides. With the way he's played in both seasonal and tournament play, it wouldn't shock me if a team takes a chance on him in the top 100. In this case, it's the Islanders -- a good fit for both sides.

Comparison: Vladislav Namestnikov. He's an all-around center that brings toughness, versatility, some skill and really good two-way play.

85. New York Rangers [from Dallas]: Simon Kubicek, D
At the WJC, he showed that he's quite capable of eating up a ton of minutes and able to play a two-way style. The Rangers have been known to take some guys from the WHL, so Kubicek has definitely been viewed by some of their scouts. With good size and some skill, he'd give them depth on their right side of defense.

Comparison: David Savard. He's a big boy, with an underrated offensive game. He can be physical and can work monstrous amount of minutes.

86. Vegas: Kasper Simontaival, RW
There's a lot of risk with Simontaival, as he's mainly an offense-only forward. This is right within the range that Vegas is known for taking some riskier forwards, so they can gauge his upside here. If Simontaival can reach his potential, he'd make a solid pick for them.

Comparison: Jiri Hudler. Undersized, standing only 5'9", Simontaival isn't a deadly skater. He makes up for it with excellent offensive skill, albeit with poor defensive play. If you're looking for an offensive forward in the mid-rounds, he's your guy.

87. Pittsburgh: Yegor Sokolov, RW
They draft a lot from the QMJHL. They may want a winger that's close to stepping in and contributing, thus Sokolov might be an option, as he's a double-overager. Passed over twice, the Penguins select him here, thinking he's done a good job of improving his game.

Comparison: Patrick Maroon. He's a big, heavy power winger that's been passed on twice. While his feet are still sluggish, there's been some improvement, with his play in the WJC and in-season making him a good option for the team that selects him.

88. Tampa Bay [from Philadelphia]: Will Cuylle, LW
They traded away Nolan Foote during the season. They may replace him with a similar sort of player. He began the season as a first rounder, but couldn't find the consistency needed to maintain that ranking. Here, late in the third, could be a good pickup for the Bolts.

Comparison: Josh Anderson. A big power forward that likes to hit and owns a good shot. He's a project pick that you hope can develop to play somewhere in your bottom 9.

89. Montreal [from Washington]: Zayde Wisdom, RW
The Habs would be all over this kid if he's still available. They'd love his background and story, both of which have helped him developed great character. And I haven't even mentioned his on-ice, abravis style of play yet. They figure he'll be a workhorse type of player that they'd love to develop.

Comparison: Casey Cizikas. Wisdom's a leader and a warrior, playing hard every single time he hits the ice. He's the type of player that brings his lunchpail every night, even if he's not the most talented. Likely slots in anywhere on any lineup, but maybe is moreso a bottom 6 warrior.

90. Tampa Bay: Carson Bantle, LW
As of late, the Bolts have been drafting for size. Bantle's one of the bigger kids in the draft, while also having some skill. He seems like the type of player Tampa might want to take in order to give some room to their smaller, talented forwards.

Comparison: Jordan Greenway. Huge on the ice, Bantle's a mix of talent and skill, playing a power forward's game. He moves well for a big kid and could make a ruckus in the pros.

91. Florida [from Colorado]: James Hardie, LW
They drafted Owen Tippett from Mississauga a few years ago. They could return there and take Hardie, who's another goal scoring winger. His ability to put the puck in the net, especially in the 2nd half of the season, could get him jumping into the third round.

Comparison: Tyler Toffoli. He's got potential to be a goal scoring forward that can complement a scoring line.

92. St. Louis: Thimo Nickl, D
The Blues could want to keep their blueline stocked with defensemen with size. Not that he'll replace Bouwmeester or Pietrangelo, but Bouwmeester is quite likely done; and Pietrangelo has a contract coming up. Maybe taking a defender with size adds some levity.

Comparison: Danny Dekeyser. Austrian defenseman with good mobility that plays an all-around, simple game. He helps with puck movement and can also aide in offense.

93. Boston: Ian Moore, D
Coming from Massachusetss high school hockey, Moore will be developing in Harvard. He seems like the type of player the Bruins could really get behind, loving his size and potential for offense.

Comparison: Justin Schultz. He's got good size and mobility, with the likelihood of turning into offensive defenseman at the pro level. He'll need a lot of seasoning and development and should be a longterm project.

======
Round 4
======

94. Tampa Bay [from Detroit]: Jacob Truscott, D
They've taken a few USHL guys these past few years, returning there to take Truscott, a defender with some two-way ability. Tampa could use a few defensive prospects to keep their backend properly developed. Truscott would be a nice pickup here.

Comparison: Alec Martinez. He's an all-around defenseman that plays well at both ends of the ice. He can assist offensively as well as he can defensively, with the chance he can be a #4-6 defenseman at the pro level.

95. Ottawa: Brett Berard, LW
The Sens shoot for the moon with Berard. His birthday isn't until September, so he's got a lot more development left to come. They've been known to scout heavily from US systems, so they could definitely have their eye on him, hoping he can developing. At minimum, they feel he could become a skilled energy winger, similar to JG Pageau, whom they traded away this year.

Comparison: Jean-Gabriel Pageau. While not a huge forward, he brings plenty of spark, feistiness and skill.
96. Buffalo [from San Jose]: Zion Nybeck, RW/LW
He's a first round level of talent that drops solely due to his lack of size. Standing only 5'6"/5'7", Nybeck can be a firecracker of two-way play and offensive playmaking, but he can be pushed around due to the size issues. Buffalo would be quick to grab him here, feeling thankful he's still on the board.

Comparison: Mats Zuccarello. Severely undersized, Nybeck brings loads of talent to the ice, playing hard every night. He's got upside as a powerplay and PK option... but will his lack of size hold him back?

97. Los Angeles: Alexander Nikishin, D
A physical, bruising force that brutalizes opposition. He's sturdily built defender that the Kings would love to grab, building their blueline up even further. Playing in Russia, there are questions about his overall offensive upside, which keeps him in the 4th, with Kings taking a chance on him here.

Comparison: Robert Hagg. Maybe not a high-end type of defenseman, but likely a depth defenseman that lays the body, skates well enough and brings some physicality and size to the backend.

98. Montreal [from Anaheim]: Calle Clang, G
With a load of picks, I could see the Habs taking a chance on a falling goalie such as Clang. They could take the advice of their new Swedish scout, grabbing a goalie with some longterm potential. He looked really good at the previous Hlinka, with Montreal thinking he could have future starter potential.

Comparison: Joonas Korpisalo. He's got the frame of a modern day starter, with good composure, athleticism and puck-stopping ability.

99. New Jersey: Artur Akhtyamov, G
After missing out on Yaroslav Askarov, the Devils look to Russia for another goalie prospect. Akhtyamov may interest them, as he's put up really good numbers overseas and seems like an interesting project.

Comparison: Craig Anderson. He's a flexible, athletic goaltender that's shown good athleticism and has got decent size.

100. Calgary [from Buffalo]: Veeti Miettinen, RW
Miettinen could be a faller, solely based on his lack of size and strength. He's a longterm projecting that'll be going to school in the United States next year, finishing up his duties over in Finland. The Flames could take him here, hoping his skill and upside can develop.

Comparison: His upside is something like a Viktor Arvidsson. Think of an undersized forward that LOVES to put shots on the net. He's a goal-scorer through and through... the only thing that's up for question is if he can fully develop or not.

101. Montreal: Evgeni Oksentyuk, LW/RW
Oksentyuk probably should have been drafted last year. He wasn't, so Montreal invited him to their rookie camp, which he shredded. He then continued that pace of play all throughout the year in the OHL. He's definitely getting drafted this year -- the only question is which round, since he's a smaller, Belarus forward.

Comparison: Kailer Yamamoto. He's an absolute bundle of energy on skates. He likes to get into the rough areas, agitates, works hard and loves to score. He processes the game at a high level... with the major risk being his lack of size, as he's only ~5'8".

102. Chicago: Pavel Novak, LW/RW
At pick #102, it's amazing value for the Hawks if they can grab Novak, the Czech winger. The only thing keeping him from going higher would be his lack of size. He can be a low-maintenance, offensive forward for them, with the Hawks loving his ability to produce.

Comparison: Ondrej Kase. Novak's an undersized forward that likes producing offense. His future will depend on if he can find ways to produce despite his size.

103. Arizona: Antonio Stranges, LW
He's very skilled, yet shows plenty of inconsistency. Coming from the London Knights, he could be of interest to the Coyotes, who've taken a few kids from that system before. They'll hope he can use the next few years to figure out his game, hoping he can figure things out.

Comparison: Jeremy Bracco. Same skating style, same style of offensive production and may face a similar situation of finding full-time work in the NHL. He's got incredible hands and vision, though. If he can figure out to play in his own end, he might get there eventually.

104. Minnesota: Samuel Knazko, D
They take a defender that can play on either side of the ice. He's a Slovakan that's been developing within Finland, playing an offensive style of game. They could use a few bodies on defense and he'd make sense in this range.

Comparison: Erik Gustafsson. He can be an offensive, puck-carrying defenseman that likes to provide offense from the back. His overall upside may be limited thanks to his defensive play, yet it's a good gamble for whomever selects him.

105. Los Angeles [from Calgary]: Dylan Garand, G
Needing another goalie prospect, Garand could be an option here. He's an athletic gym rat that puts up good numbers. The Kings could use him in order to help fortify their net.

Comparison: Phillipp Grubauer. While he isn't physically huge, he's got excellent athleticism and is projectable to at least possibly play as a backup.

106. Florida: Eemil Viro, D
The Panthers keep boosting their defense depth by selecting Viro. He's a guy that could go anywhere from the 2nd round-to-4th round, with the Panthers hopping on him here, loving his ability to skate.

Comparison: Jordan Oesterle. His offensive upside may not be huge, but he can play a speedy two-way game, showing he's able to make the simple plays at high speed.

107. Columbus: Lucas Ramberg, D
They've been known to draft some Swedes in the middle rounds. Ramberg is a puck moving defenseman that likes joining in on the rush. He could have some offensive skill.
Comparison: Brendan Guhle. He could become a puck-mover with some upside, who can occasionally add some offense, whose puck-moving can help with possession and transitioning.

108. Carolina: Oliver Suni, RW
Surprising no one, the Hurricanes grab another Finn. With Suni still on the board, he could interest them. He seems like the type of forward that could add depth to their lineup and on their wing. Injuries were an on/off issue for him this season, so there may be more upside in him.

Comparison: Ilya Mikheyev. Projects to be a depth winger that can provide some all-around offensive play. He's likely to be pushed around anywhere in a lineup and fit in pretty well. He'd be a good addition to a third line in order to add some offense, for example.

109. Montreal [from Winnipeg]: Ronan Seeley, D
They've been drafting from Everett numerous times over the past few years. Last year, it was Gianni Fairbrother. This year, it's Ronan Seeley, a fantastic skating defenseman. They've stocked up on defenders these past few years and he's another one they could add to the barrel.

Comparison: Andrej Sekera. This season, he showed off his skating ability, especially in his own zone, where he could chase down pucks and strip opposing forwards of pucks, etc.. He's still got some growth to come, so it'll be fun to see how he develops.

110. New York Rangers: Oskar Magnusson, RW/C
Returning to Europe, they take the Swede, Oskar Magnusson, who's got some good talent as a hard-working, two-way forward with some skill. There's a lot of versatility to his game, with his lack of size being his one drawback.

Comparison: Jesper Bratt. A smart, undersized forward that works hard in various ways. He'll be a longterm project, with the hopes of him developing into a versatile depth forward.

111. Vancouver: Luke Prokop, D
The Canucks grab a big defenseman with some physicality to his game. He plays a heavy game, indicative of the WHL, which they could value highly, giving them some strength on the backend.

Comparison: Robert Bortuzzo. He hits hard, plays a physical, grind-em-down style of game. His puck-moving is decent enough, but he profiles as a depth, heavy defenseman that adds literal strength to a blueline.

112. Anaheim [from Nashville]: Blake Biondi, RW
The winner of the "Mr. Hockey" Award for Minnesota hockey, the Ducks pick him up, as they've often gone to the NCAA for players. It gives them more depth and potential at wing.

Comparison: Connor Brown. He can be a fierce competitor on the ice, who likes to put pucks on net and works hard on the ice, adding some grinding it out style of game.

113. Toronto: Dmitri Ovchinnikov, RW/LW
The Leafs have been known to draft a few talented Russians, expecting them to develop into something of use. Ovchinnikov could be this year's guy, going underscouted by other teams. He even had some time in the KHL this year, where he seems to held his own in a depth role.

Comparison: Sven Baertschii. He has blazing speed, which could help him produce offensively. He's got good hands and vision and promises to be a potential offensive forward. In a game that's now all about speed, he'd make a really good pickup.

114. Detroit [from Edmonton]: Yegor Chinakhov, RW
The Wings could like take a chance on the Russian overager, Yegor Chinakhov, who's got one of the best releases in this draft. Passed on last year, he's likely drafted this year by a team with good European scouting.

Comparison: Andrew Mangiapane. Skilled sniper with some talent. He isn't the largest player, but makes up for it with his ability to snipe his shots.

115. New York Islanders: Ryan Francis, RW
The Islanders are known to draft some guys from the Q. Francis would be the best player there from the region, with his playmaking skill making him an intriguing option. His second half wasn't as good as the first half of his season, thus he drops into the late 4th.

Comparison: Nicolas Petan. An undersized, slick, playmaking winger that can be a little inconsistent. Due to his size and lack of strength, he might be boom-or-bust.

116. Dallas: Brandon Coe, RW
Loving to select from the OHL, they can't pass on Coe. He's also got the requisite size that they've been known to love. He's a guy that can go anywhere from 3rd round to 5th round, with the Stars liking him here, liking his toolset.

Comparison: Alex Chiasson. Rangy winger that mixes size and skill into one package. If he can put it all together, he could be a nice complementary winger.

117. Toronto [from Vegas]: Isaak Phillips, D
The Leafs grab a big, athletic, mobile defenseman with Phillips. They'll bet on him being an underrated player, hoping he can fill a role for them in the future, filling some gaps with his much-needed size.

Comparison: Ben Chiarot. Mobile, with good size, Phillips plays a good two-way game. He can be physical and uses his size to help close gaps.

118. Pittsburgh: William Dufour, RW
The Penguins have a tendency to draft from the QMJHL. Dufour could be a big bodied presence that could interest them. At minimum, he could become a depth winger for them, adding some physicality and goal scoring in a depth role.

Comparison: Boone Jenner. He plays his best when he's a physical guy that likes going to the net and putting shots on goal. He could also be an inconsistent type, whose sluggish skating tends to hold him back.

119. Philadelphia: Oliver Tarnstrom, C/LW
Middle rounds is where the Flyers tend to take some chances on European players, especially Swedish guys. He's one of the youngest players in the draft and has plenty of growth and development to come. He's a longterm project, which should be fun for the Flyers to watch and develop.

Comparison: Lucas Wallmark. Playmaking Swede that's still quite young, who's able to work hard on the ice and adds some smart two-way play.

120. Washington: Cross Hanas, LW
They've been using the WHL to draft from recently. Hanas has shown really good skill, but there's some question on his overall upside. He seems like the type that'll fit in quite well with their forward group, especially with his ability down below and with the puck on his stick.

Comparison: Danton Heinen. With good hands and puck protection skills, he seems like a bet to at least be a third line scoring winger. He'll be a work in progress for the team that takes him.

121. Tampa Bay: Karel Klikorka, D
They've been drafting more Czechs as of late, which means they could use someone such as Klikorka. He has an interesting, prospective skillset, able to rush with the puck, while also having some physicality.

Comparison: Tucker Poolman. Klikorka's a really nice skater that mixes in physicality and a hard shot to potentially become a mobile defenseman with some grit.

122. Colorado: Maxim Groshev, RW
Grabbing another Russian, they'll hope he can become a depth power winger for them. Concerns over offensive potential keep him in the low 4th round, with the Avs willing to take a shot at him, hoping he can become a depth power winger for them.

Comparison: Oskar Sundqkvist. A hard-worker that does all the little things to help win games. He was a depth player at the World Juniors and should be a guy that can provide support in a depth role.

123. St. Louis: Ethan Edwards, D
If he's still here, the Blues latch on to him and grab him, hoping for a steal similar to Colton Parayko, whom they also selected from the AJHL. He'll be going to the University of Michigan next year, with the Blues hoping he can keep on his developmental pace.

Comparison: Ethan Bear. He's lacking in size and doesn't bring elite skills, but he can be a nice puck-mover that keeps things safe and simple. His skating and mobility is his best quality, which allows him to work an all-around game.

124. New Jersey [from Boston]: Alex Laferriere, RW
A local New Jersey kid to the Devils would make some sense. He's a guy that could fight for a depth role in the future. He's shown good ability as a shooter. He may have some longterm potential.
Comparison: Ryan Donato. Lacks size, making up for that with his shooting ability and smarts, Laferriere hopes to be a guy that can fight for a middle-six pairing in the future.

======
Round 5
======

125. Detroit: Kasper Puutio, D
At this point, the Wings take him and run, thinking he could be a good depth blueliner for them in the future. His skating alone makes him a nice option at this point.

Comparison: Mark Pysyk. His game is all about his ability to skate with/without the puck. He may have some issues outside of his skating, but most of his game will be about him skating the puck out of trouble, into the other zone, etc..

126. San Jose [from Ottawa]: Jesper Vikman, G
Needing some goalie depth, the Sharks take on Vikman, who could be an underrated gem. He still needs to fill out his frame a little bit, but he's still young with plenty of development left.

Comparison: David Rittich. He could become a long-term project to see how he develops. In 4-5 years, he may be ready to turn pro, have some time in the AHL and see how he grows from there.

127. San Jose: Theo Rochette, C/LW
His season was underwhelming, partially thanks to injuries, resulting in him dropping into the 5th round. The Sharks could definitely take a chance on him here, as he seems like someone they'd like to have here.

Comparison: Dominik Simon. Undersized, yet cerebral type of forward, Rochette has some skill to his game and knows where to go to produce offense and play a smart-all around game.

128. Los Angeles: Michael Krutil, D
Another big blueliner for their backend. The Kings would like to walk out of this draft with a fully re-developed defense corse. Krutil would join some of the other players they've already selected, making him a nice pickup.

Comparison: Jon Merrill. Big, versatile defenseman that moves well enough and is able to play in any role given to him.

129. Anaheim: Connor McClennon, RW
Getting McClennon here could be a coup for the Ducks. Injuries and his lack of size knock him way down the board, yet McClennon can be a warrior on the ice. He'd help give their forwards some more offensive depth, thus he'd be a great depth move.

Comparison: Conor Garland. He works hard every shift and loves to score goals. He's been a goal-scoring machine... with the only thing that could hold him back is his size.

130. New Jersey: Ryder Rolston, RW
His father was drafted by and played for New Jersey for years. They'd be familiar with him, essentially watching him grow up. It'd be a nice nod for the family, along with a solid depth move.

Comparison: Daniel Paille. He's a speedy, hard-working forward that goes hard to the net, brings a two-way game and likely develops into a bottom-6 two-way forward that excels on defensive.

131. Buffalo: Christoffer Sedoff, D
He'd be a longterm project for the Sabres, likely topping out as a depth defensive defenseman. He's a European import playing in the WHL, who's more known for shutting down opposition than putting up points.

Comparison: Mark Borowiecki. He could become a hard to play against defensive defenseman, who will play a physical, puck-movement type of game. Maybe not a huge offensive producer, Sedoff would find much success with penalty killing.

132. Montreal: Grant Slukynsky, LW/C
The Habs have been known to select a few high school forwards now and then. It just wouldn't be the same if they didn't take someone from Minnesota high school hockey. Slukynsky would be the best forward available, owning a complete package of skill and motor.

Comparison: Alex Iafallo. He brings skill, grit, two-way ability and smarts into one efficient package.

133. Chicago: Luke Reid, D
He's an Illinois native, which makes him attractive to the Hawks. They take a late gamble on him, liking his athletic approach to the game. He looked good at the WJAC, so he might be an option for their blueline.

Comparison: Caleb Jones. He's an athletic defenseman that can jump into plays, play an all-around game and works hard on the ice.

134. Arizona: Rory Kerins, C
Kerins works like a dog on the ice and is able to contribute in multiple ways. He's another center that adds depth down the middle, along with some versatility.

Comparison: Dylan Gambrell. Kerins can be an all-around type of center that offers a lot of versatility, industrious play and works hard for every game.

135. Minnesota: Jack Smith, C/LW
Going local, they take Jack Smith, who's got some dynamic aspects to his game. He'd give them depth at center and at forward, hoping he can keep developing at a wicked pace.

Comparison: Cooper Marody. He's a smart, playmaking forward with agile skating and two-way play. As usual, it's always hard to nail down high schoolers, but they'll hope he can keep developing and play as either a center or wing for them.

136. Calgary: Pavel Gogolev, RW
The Flames need some depth on their right wing. Gogolev's a mostly-finished project, having been passed over twice already. His improvement through the year could result in a team taking a late-round flyer on him.

Comparison: Tanner Pearson. He loves to shoot, shoot and shoot. It's what his game is all about. He's shown an upside as a goal-scoring winger, which is what any team that takes him hopes he can turn into.

137. Montreal [from Florida]: Ruben Rafkin, D
With Saku Koivu still being close to the organization, I'm sure he'd give a thumbs up to Rafkin. Koivu would know him quite well through HC TPS in the Liiga, which is where Rafkin will be playing next year. They can let him develop there, giving them further depth on the right side of defense.

Comparison: Michael del Zotto. He's a mobile, jack-of-all trades defender that does a little of everything. He can be physical, defend, rush with the puck and does whatever is needed from him.

138. Columbus: Maxim Beryozkin, LW/RW
They've been more open to drafting Russians in recent years, even taking a few in mid-to-late rounds. Beryozkin could be someone they'd like, hoping he'd give depth to their group of forwards.

Comparison: Richard Panik. He's a scoring forward with a sizeable frame, who loves to shoot and can create offense.

139. St. Louis [from Carolina]: Jack Thompson, D
Grabbing yet another defenseman, they're keen on building up their blueline. They hope he can keep building and improving his game, showing some ability to be a goal scoring, offensive type.

Comparison: Mike Reilly. He's a defenseman that works well at transitioning pucks, scoring and offensive play. He may prove his worth as a depth defenseman in the future.

140. Winnipeg: Zach Uens, D
They drafted out of Merrickmack College last year by selecting Johnathan Kovacevic. They may take Uens this year, as he had a breakout year playing in Merricack, giving them an impetus to take a shot at him.

Comparison: Nathan Beaulieu. He's a lanky defenseman with decent size, who can move the puck and transition it at will. He's the modern style of skating, puck-moving defenseman.

141. New York Rangers: Daniel Ljungman, C
Heading back to Sweden, they pickup Ljungman, whose season wasn't spectacular. Despite that, he looked good at the Hlinka, so maybe there's something there. At mminimum, it's more depth down the middle for the Rangers.

Comparison: Markus Granlund. He could become a depth center/forward with some skill, who could play in a depth role.

142. Vancouver: Alex Jefferies, RW/LW
Vancouver's been known to look to American collegiate systems for some steals. Jefferies could be an option for them, as he's shown to be an offensive winger that could give them some depth.

Comparison: Daniel Sprong. He's an offensive, depth forward that shows some puck skills and an ability to put the puck in the net. He's likely a longterm project.

143. Nashville: Landon Slaggert, LW/C
A player that comes to play every night, Slaggert is an aggressive forward for the Preds, giving them someone that could likely fill in as a depth role. Even if his offense doesn't develop, he'd give Nashville someone that can play a steady role in a bottom 6.

Comparison: Tyler Pitlick. He's an aggressive forward that loves to hit, crashes and bangs, blocks shots and plays a leadership role on the ice to help his team win.

144. Florida [from Toronto]: Bear Hughes, RW/C
An overager, Hughes would be a nice pickup for Florida if they need someone that can be a depth player. They'll hope he can be the next breakout candidate, as he has a lot of hockey sense, which he uses to work well at both ends of the ice.

Comparison: Mattias Janmark. He's a very coachable player that can be plugged into any situation and role and is able to play a very responsible game.

145. Edmonton: Brayden Peters, G
Oilers need a goalie. Maybe the "Rookie of the Year" winner for the Calgary Hitmen fits the bill. The Oilers sit on him and let him percolate, hoping he can be a stopgap for their future goalie situation.

Comparison: James Reimer. Peters has shown good skill throughout the season. He's shown flashes of brilliance and can be a quick and agile goalie.

146. New York Islanders: Trevor Kuntar, C
The Isles take another center. This time it's Kuntar, who was passed over last year. His steady improvement throughout the season should be enough to get him selected this year, with the Islanders picking him up, often looking towards American systems for talent.

Comparison: Brad Richardson. He's a pure center that plays a hard-working style of game and can be counted on to score a few goals.

147. Dallas: Adam Wilsby, D
Passed over last year, Wilsby's got some "jump" in his game and played a much more improve, productive season this year. The Stars have been known to take a few Swedes in the mid-to-late rounds.

Comparison: Brandon Montour. Overager with offensive skill from the blueline. As stated, he was passed over last year and it won't happen a second time.

148. Toronto [from Vegas]: Colby Ambrosio, RW
Ambrosio's an Ontario kid that'll be playing in Boston College next season. The Leafs grabbed a few college kids in previous drafts. He seems like yet another type of player they could be interested in.

Comparison: Tyler Ennis. Undersized with plenty of speed and an ability to score goals, Ambrosio has the potential to become a depth scoring forward.

149. Pittsburgh: Jacob Dion, D
They grab Dion out of the Q, thinking of him as the best player available. They'll hope he can develop into the next Kris Letang, whom they also drafted in the middle rounds. They shoot for upside, with Dion having a lot of offensive skill.

Comparison: Will Butcher. Standing only 5'9", he's lacking in size and strength, which is his major flaw. Other than that, he's incredibly mobile and able to produce points.

150. Philadelphia: Gage Goncalves, C/LW
They've drafted a few Everett players these past few years. Goncalves is another guy to add to the pile. He was passed over last year, but the slim, skilled forward should be taken this year, with the Flyers taking a chance on him.

Comparison: Ryan Dzingel. He's a late-blooming forward that has good speed and hands that could develop into an offensive forward/winger.

151. Washington: Samuel Hlavaj, G
Hlavaj could have/should have been picked last year. The Slovakian goalie played with Sherbrooke in the Q last season, putting up good numbers and proved why he showed have been selected. He should definitely be taken this time around, with the Caps bolstering their net.

Comparison: Linus Ullmark. They're around the same height, have the same sort of potential and both are guys that could content for a starter or backup role in the future.

152. Ottawa [from Tampa Bay]: Ethan Cardwell, C/RW
With a smart player such as Cardwell still on the board, it might be difficult for the Sens to pass on him. He's got a late birthdate, so there's still lots of room for growth. He might be a good pickup in the late rounds, with Ottawa hoping he can aide in their rebuild.

Comparison: Kevin Labanc. At his high end, he's probably a Labanc type of skilled, two-way forward that fits into a depth role. At minimum, he could be a Chandler Stephenson type of depth forward, who fits and plays a well-disciplined game due to his hockey intelligence.

153. Colorado: Jake Boltmann, D
Needing depth on the right side of defense, they could take Boltmann, who's a big, heavy stay-at-home defender. He's definitely the type of "leadership" type that Sakic and company would like.

Comparison: Riley Stillman. Projects to be a solid, dependable defenseman that slots in as a depth role player. He likes to keep things safe and can be physical on the backend.

154. St. Louis: Karri Aho, D
Aho's getting underrated this year and the smooth-operating forward looks to keep progressing. The Blues would like to add some puck-movers, thereby making Aho a really nice pickup.

Comparison: Sami Niku. He's a puck-moving defenseman that boosts offensive depth, able to go end to end with the puck and aide in multiple ways.

155. Boston: Lukas Svejkovsky, RW
The Bruins go for high value by taking the undersized American playing in the WHL. He's got plenty of skill and is able to unleash the puck. He'll likely progress quite well next season, with the Bruins happily watching him.

Comparison: Dominik Kahun. He's an offensive winger that can create offense with his shot and playmaking skill. Team will bypass him due to lack of size and strength, yet they can't deny the skill.

======
Round 6
======

156. Detroit: Victor Mancini, D
This American forward has been developing over in Sweden and is eventually expected to move back to North America to play in the American collegiate system. The fact that he's a Michigan kid that grew up in the Little Caesars program might interest them.

Comparison: Nick Holden. He can be a physical presence on the blueline, also having some hard shots from the point. He's a two-way depth type that can do a little of everything.

157. Tampa Bay [from Ottawa]: Louis Crevier, D
Despite not being drafted last year, he attended Tampa Bay's rookie combine. He improved his game throughout the year this season and got actual playing time, with the Bolts taking a chance on him.

Comparison: Jaycob Megna. Huge in size, he's got potential to be a bottom pairing defenseman that can use his range and long stick to disrupt activity. He's bit of a project pick, with the team that drafts him hoping he can put it all together.

158. Ottawa [from San Jose]: Jackson Kunz, LW/RW
This heavy power winger will be going to play with the University of North Dakota next year, which instantly makes him a late-round target for Ottawa. This late in the draft, you're looking for boom-or-bust types, with the Sens hoping he can be someone that could potentially develop.

Comparison: Brett Ritchie. He's got great size and some offensive skill. Based on his size alone, he could be someone that sees some NHL action down the line.

159. Los Angeles: Jackson Hallum, LW
The Kings have been known to select a few high school forwards now and then. Hallum would be one of the speediest available. He's also got a later birthdate, which should allow for further growth. He's a "wait and see" type.

Comparison: Michael Grabner. Blessed with a late birthday, he barely makes the cut-off date for the draft. He's also got stunning speed, which he uses to help produce.

160. Anaheim: Simon Knak, RW/LW
With decent size and some skill, he'd be a worthy pick in the late rounds. The Swiss forward gives Anaheim some key depth on the wings, who should help with puck possession. In the sixth round, he's great value.

Comparison: Blake Comeau. He doesn't have standout skills. He could become a complementary type of 3rd/4th line winger that'll work hard at both ends of the ice.

161. New Jersey: Will Cranley, G
They look to the Ottawa 67's and grab their goalie, Will Cranley. He's got respectable size, with the Devils willing to give him time and development. It's one of 2 goalies they take, so they hope 1 of them can work out, even if it's as a backup.

Comparison: Laurent Brossoit. Decently sized goalie with the frame of your standard, modern day goalie.

162. Dallas [from Buffalo]: Josh Pillar, C
With Tom Gagliardi's ties to Kamloops Blazers, Josh Pillar could be on their radar for a late selection. With good size and dependability, he's the type of guy that'll work well in a depth role.

Comparison: Andrew Copp. Comes with multiple tools and should provide some industrious play and depth. Maybe more of a defensive bottom 6 center.

163. Montreal: Jake Ratzlaff, D
Ratzlaff could go higher, but concerns over him leaving hockey for football remain. Otherwise, the Habs could definitely love him. They love their athletes, plus he's a big, strong defender that can play on the right side. They could take a chance on him.

Comparison: Michael Stone. He's a big, mobile, physical defenseman with excellent upside. He's also got a big, hammering point shot, too.

164. Chicago: Nick Malik, G
It was a very inconsistent year for Malik. Late in the draft, maybe a team takes a shot at him. Someone like the Chicago could pick him up, thinking he's a longterm project, hoping to keep building up their depth in goal.

Comparison: Petr Mrazek. His battles with inconsistency are well-known. His numbers this year weren't that great after coming over from Europe. It might scare teams off from drafting him early.

165. Arizona: Matthew Rempe, RW/C
He's a huge forward. Like... giant-sized, standing 6'8" and still growing. He might be a longshot, but in this round, it's worth a shot, with the Coyotes hoping his size can transfer and make a difference on the ice.

Comparison: Brian Boyle. Giant forward that likes to use his size to his advantage. He can go to the hard areas, dig out pucks and so on.

166. Minnesota: Axel Kumlin, D
They've been known to scout Sweden. Kumlin's a shoot for the moon type of selection with boom or bust potential. He's an offensive d-man that likes to skate with the puck.

Comparison: Oliver Kylington. I'd go with Kylington for Kumlin's ability to rush with the puck and provide offense.

167. Calgary: Maximillian Glotzl, D
The Flames could use a big defenseman such as Glotzl. He's a big German and is the Team Germany member that is forgotten about for this draft. He'll look to show that he is also deserving of attention as he continues to develop.

Comparison: Vladislav Gavrikov. Will he develop as quickly as Gavrikov? Maybe not, but there's some similar two-way traits. Maybe he's more of a depth player with size, but there's a lot to like in his game.

168. Florida: Owen Pederson, LW
A power forward with some skill and smarts. It's the type of player every team is looking for. If he's on the board in the 6th for the Panthers, it'd be hard to pass on him. Their scouting staff loves "big" players, so he might be a good fit for them here.

Comparison: Nick Paul. Profiles as a big, smart forward that works hard, goes to the net and has some projectability in his game.

169. Columbus: Hayden Fowler, C/LW
Going to the OHL, they grab Fowler, who's an undersized, multi-purpose threat. Concerns over just how much offense he has keeps him in the 6th round... but for a 6th round, it's good value.

Comparison: Nick Cousins. He's a hard-working, aggressive, undersized forward that can be physical, get in your face and provides some depth scoring.

170. Toronto [from Carolina]: Devon Levi, G
They could use some more goalies in their system. Levi could be a smart upside pick. He's coming from the CCHL to play in the NCAA next year, so he's likely a longterm guy to put options into.

Comparison: Alex Stalock. He doesn't possess the "size" factor of modern goalies. In fact, he's more of an regular size goalie, standing only 6'. You can't negate his good numbers and skill, though.

171. Winnipeg: Ben Meehan, D
Seems like one of those late round picks the Jets love making. Meehan fought injuries last year, resulting in him going undrafted. This year, he returned and showed excellent puck moving upside.

Comparison: Josh Mahura. He's an active, puck-rushing defenseman that provides offensive support.

172. New York Rangers: Joe Miller, RW
Born exactly on the cut-off date for the draft, he's the type of high-risk/high-reward type of player the Rangers take risks on. He's very slight and tiny, so he'll need a lot of developmental time. It may work out in the end, who knows.

Comparison: Dylan Sikura. It's hard to get a read on him, since he's a high school kid and still young. If he ever puts his game all together, he could certainly boom. Right now, he seems like a small, playmaking winger.

173. Vancouver: Kirill Tankov, C
They can't resist going to Russia to pick up Tankov, who's shown good upside and skill. He's been developing in the MHL, where he's shown his worth as offensive, playmaking force.

Comparison: Nikolai Prokhorkin. It remains to be seen just how much offense he can bring. He does, however, play with good skill and has really nice puckhandling ability. It's a boom-or-bust selection in this stage.

174. Nashville: Vsevolod Skotnikov, G
Using a late round pick on a goalie, the Preds take a chance on Skotnikov. His main drawback is his lack of size. However, the Preds have Juuse Saros, so they should be used to smaller goaltenders. A worthwhile risk in the 6th round.

Comparison: Pavel Francouz. As stated, he's got smaller size in comparison with other goalies. He could be something... he could be nothing. They risk it.

175. Toronto: Artyom Galimov, C
Fresh off winning the "Rookie of the Year" honors in the KHL, Galimov could find himself finally drafted by the NHL. He's an overager, meaning he's more advanced than some other guys and is ready to jump in to play. Seems like someone the Leafs could like.
Comparison: Christian Dvorak. He's a boom-or-bust type. Passed over multiple times in the NHL, he might finally go this year as a risky late rounder.

176. Edmonton: Benjamin Baumgartner, RW/LW
In the late rounds, you look for a gem. Baumgartner could be someone of interest for those reasons. The Austrian forward is a double-overager and close to contributing. At minimum, he suppplies depth offense.. or could be moved to the AHL for support.

Comparison: Dmytro Timashov. He's yet another overager. He's been passed over several times, finally breaking out this season. He's small with some amazing hands. There could be something there, especially for a late selection.

177. New York Islanders: Charlie Desroches, D
Undersized defenseman that the Isles take a shot at. He's got some upside, possibly as a depth guy. The Isles hope he can put it all together and contribute in a depth role.

Comparison: Troy Stecher. Undersized defenseman that plays an all-around type of game and is capable of being a safe puck-mover.

178. Dallas: Joonas Oden, LW
The Stars have loved their Finns. Oden might be a good plug-and-play type that they can get into their roster fairly soon. Seems like a hard-worker that'll do everything to help win.

Comparison: Michael Raffl. Not a huge high upside guy, but a warm body that can step in, play hard, work penalty kills and provide depth.

179. Vegas: Tomas Chlubna, LW
They tend to make some smart European picks. Chlubna is a Czech forward that could be of interest. It gives the Golden Knights more depth on wing, at minimum.

Comparison: Mason Appleton. A big winger that shows some skill. Maybe he can develop into a offensive bottom-6 type.

180. Pittsburgh: Aidan Campbell, G
He grew up in the Pittsburgh Bantam systems. With his huge size, he profiles as a modern style of goaltender, which definitely puts him on their radar. They could love to take a hometown guy, hoping he can grow and develop, giving themselves some depth in goal.

Comparison: Adin Hill. Huge, raw goalie with excellent size. He'll need to work out his kinks, figure out his consistency and work on his stopping ability... but there's some upside there.

181. Philadelphia: Noah Ellis, D
Looking at American systems, the Flyers take Ellis, giving their right side of defense some more depth. His size is good and he has some rawness in his game. Worthy late round selection.

Comparison: Brett Kulak. He's got the prerequisite size and two-way play to work hard at becoming a pro. Might be worthy of a late pick.

182. Washington: Parker Ford, RW
The Caps have taken a few overagers in recent years. Ford likely goes this year as a late pick, most likely to a team that needs a hard-working, speedy, energy forward.

Comparison: Brandon Tanev. He comes at opponents with speed and determination. Maybe not a huge offensive forward; likely someone that fills out a depth role, bringing a lot of energy to the ice.

183. Tampa Bay: Adam Raska, LW
The Bolts often take some late round flyers on QMJHL players. Someone such as Raska could be liked as a character guy that never stops hustling.

Comparison: Marcus Sorensen. Hard-working, competitive forward that brings intensity to the ice and shows a willingness to battle hard every single game.

184. Toronto [from Colorado]: Stephen Halliday, LW
A Toronto-area kid, Halliday's a big forward that still has some growth and developing to come. He'll be a project going to a good system in North Dakota. A team willing to develop him might be able to walk away with a usable forward in the future.

Comparison: Tomas Nosek. Big forward with some skill. He's thick and tall, so he seems like someone that'd give scoring depth in a depth role.

185. Ottawa [from St. Louis]: Brady Burns, LW
They grab another forward from the Q, which is where they like to take some late-round risks. Burns put up good numbers this year, with his lack of size making him a risky high-risk/high-reward type of player.

Comparison: Jordan Weal. Burns is an undersized offensive forward that has some scoring touch. If he wants to succeed, he'll have to work on things such as adding strength and improving his skating.

186. Boston: Hugo Ollas, G
The Bruins might not want to leave the draft without selecting a goaltending prospect to add to their ranks. They might want to take a chance on the huge goalie, Hugo Ollas. Standing 6'7", he's one of the biggest players in the draft, let alone in goal.

Comparison: Mikko Koskinen. If he's to figure things out, he'll have to grow into his frame and learn how to be a quality puck-stopper that uses his size to spread out and block pucks. A longterm project type.

======
Round 7
======

187. Detroit: Mikael Pyyhtia, C
With their final pick in the draft, they take a big swing on Pyyhtia, who put up really solid numbers over in Finland this year. He's boom-or-bust, with the Wings hoping for the former.

Comparison: Dominik Simon. He put up over a point per game in Finland this year. He's got talent and could compete as an offensive forward down the line.

188. Montreal [from Ottawa]: Dmitri Rashevsky, RW
They drafted a Russian overager last year and have since signed him to bring him over. They may do the same here, taking a chance on Rashevsky, who had a major breakout this past season. His improved play in the MHL this past season resulted in him finishing first in goals, which is what the Habs hope he can bring over to North America.

Comparison: Dmitrij Jaskin. He's a goal-scoring winger with some size. His feet are slow, which could hold him back... but if a team wants to shoot for the moon, hoping for a late round gem, he's your guy.

189. Toronto [from San Jose]: Leo Loof, D
Toronto's known for making some picks from Sweden. Loof could interest them, feeling he's got good upside for a late-round pick. There's some "oomph" in his game that could make it difficult to compete against him, which should intrigue the Leafs, who'll want to become harder to play against.

Comparison: Dylan Demelo. He plays a stay-at-home type of game, while also keeping the puck in motion. Maybe not a true high end game, but a safe do-it-all defenseman.

190. Los Angeles: Logan Morrison, C/RW
The Kings take a late-round flyer on Morrison, using the OHL to help find some depth talent. They can hang on to him, see how he develops and hope for a late steal.

Comparison: Nic Dowd. He's got some talent in his game, but like any late-round selection, he's still got a lot to work on.

191. Vancouver [from Anaheim]: Danil Aimurzin, RW
One of the best pure shooters in the draft. The Canucks hope for a 7th round steal with him. Taking 2 Russians at the end of the draft, Aimurzin and Tankov, they bank on at least one of them becoming a steal... or at least they hope.

Comparison: Teemu Pulkkinen. His shooting ability is superb, as he can launch to puck with a good wrister. There's concerns about the rest of his game. Should be a late-round gamble with upside.

192. New Jersey: Mason Langenbrunner, D
Coming with good bloodlines, Langenbrunner's father was longtime NHL'er, Jamie Langenbrunner. Like their selection of Ryder Rolston earlier, it's another nod to one of their former players.

Comparison: Greg Pateryn. He's a longshot, but maybe there's some pro potential there. At minimum, it's more defensive depth for the team that selects him.

193. Buffalo: Grant Riley, G
Big goalie that's from the Rochester area. They take him as a late round gamble, further boosting their depth in goal. Maybe he can figure things out.

Comparison: Phoenix Copley. Big goalie with some depth potential.

194. Philadelphia [from Montreal]: Bogdan Trineyev, RW/LW
The Flyers have been known to take a few chances on a few Russians. Trineyev might be a good late pickup. He's got excellent size and could give them some needed size.

Comparison: Jujhar Khaira. He's a big power winger that uses his size effectively and has some versatility to play multiple roles.

195. Montreal [from Chicago]: Lucas Mercuri, C
Mercuri's a Quebec kid going to school in an American college. They could take him, bringing him back home, where they hope he can play a support power-center game. He'll be a longterm project that they hope pays off, giving them depth down the middle.

Comparison: Jim Vesey. Needs to work on his skating, but he's a sizeable forward that can bring power, size and some scoring.

196. Arizona: Senna Peeters, RW/LW
Headed back to the Q, they take Peeters, who's battled inconsistency this season. That inconsistency could be the thing that keeps him from going higher in the draft. Worthy of a late pick, however.

Comparison: Brandon Pirri. With a -40 on the year, he may not have the defensive play to make it as a fulltime NHL'er. He could be a depth scorer, at best. But who knows. If he can fix his play without the puck and in his own zone, maybe he's got some upside.

197. Minnesota: Marko Stacha, D
There's a chance he could be underscouted. For the 7th round, he'd make a savvy selection, as he plays with good speed and skating. If not enough scouts have seen him, he could fall into the 7th, where a lucky team such as the Wild could take him.

Comparison: Markus Nutivaraa. A skating defenseman that'll put up good possession numbers, even if he's probably not a huge offensive catalyst.

198. Calgary: Garin Bjorklund, G
They've taken a few goalies late these past few years. Bjorklund could be another guy added to that list. He's a local Albertan kid, too, making him that much more interesting.

Comparison: Ben Scrivens. He puts up decent numbers. He could be a worthwhile project to vie for a backup slot.

199. Florida: Alex Gaffney, LW/RW
Tiny forward that's a high-risk/high-reward type of player. He's only 5'7", which is concerning, with the Panthers taking a late-round chance on him. If it works out, then more power to them.

Comparison: Blake Lizotte. Very undersized, but plays with fierce determination, Gaffney can be a warrior on the ice.

200. Columbus: Michal Gut, C
A depth pickup for the Jackets. They'll hope he can keep developing, with the hopes he'll become a late steal. He put okay'ish numbers this year and comes from an interesting system. Probably worthy of a late selection.

Comparison: Kenny Agostino. Speedy depth forward that can produce points, adds two-way play and so on. Likely a depth player that can contribute some offense in a professional role.

201. Carolina: Carsen Richels, RW
It's a big, athletic power winger for the 'Canes. May not have huge offensive skill, but could be a depth player in the future. Worthy of a late pick, especially for a team such as Carolina that drafts from American systems.

Comparison: John Hayden. Big, physical forward that can chip in on a depth role.

202. Toronto [from Winnipeg]: Ivan Didkovsky, LW/RW
Seems like a gamble that the Leafs could make in later rounds. Whether he comes over or becomes a full-timer is still in question, but he's got some pro tools with some upside. They can lay wait and see how he progresses.

Comparison: Matt Nieto. He's an energetic winger that puts a lot of pucks at the net. Not huge in size, he can skate fast up and down the rink, bringing some energy to a prospect pool.

203. New York Rangers: Hugo Styf, D
For the first of their final round picks, they take a chance on Styf, who's a good mixture of skating and physicality. He'd give them some more depth on defense.

Comparison: Matt Benning. While he may not have huge offensive upside, he's definitely a guy that can move the puck along, add some physicality and keep things in motion.

204. New York Rangers [from Vancouver]: Ryan Kirwan, LW/RW
With one of their final picks, they could take a New York native to help fill out some depth. At best, it's a nice local pickup that fills organizational depth.

Comparison: Kevin Rooney. He's a projectable forward with decent size and a good shot.

205. New York Rangers [from Nashville]: Christian Jimenez, D
With their final pick, they grab another New York'er. He broke out this season, leading all rookie USHL defenseman in scoring. It could/should get him drafted.

Comparison: Chris Wideman. An undersized offensive defenseman that likes to move the puck up the ice.

206. Carolina [from Toronto]: Jakub Dobes, G
Carolina is always sure to walk away from the draft with at least 1 goalie selected. Dobes could be the latest. He looked decent in tournaments, such as the WJAC, and could have some upside. Likely a long-term project.

Comparison: Michael Hutchinson. He plays the butterfly style, brings some size and can track pucks fairly well.

207. Edmonton: Reid Valade, RW
The Oilers have been known to take some chances on dropping OHL'ers in the past. They could take Valade, hoping he can develop into a bottom 6 type of energetic forward.

Comparison: Tyler Motte. A fast, energetic forward that goes to the hard areas and can be physical.

208. New York Islanders: Isak Garvfe, RW
Big, Swedish winger that can be a net-front presence. It's a depth pick for the Isles, with Garvfe looking decent throughout the year.

Comparison: Zack MacEwen. As stated, he's a big forward that can plot himself in front of the net and the sticky areas to help his team win.

209. Buffalo [from Dallas]: Gunnarwolfe Fontaine, RW/LW
The Sabres take a late round chance on possibly the best name in the draft. He probably should have been drafted last year. In the 7th round, they hope he can develop into something useful.

Comparison: Frank Vatrano. An undersized, physically tough forward with an underrated offensive game. His shot is probably his best asset.

210. Vegas: Tucker Tynan, G
After a gruesome severed tendon injury ruined his year, Vegas takes a late round gamble on him. It'd be a great gesture after, you know, nearly bleeding to death on the ice. Even if he doesn't make it, he'll always know he was at least drafted.

Comparison: Keith Kinkaid. He could challenge for a backup role in the future, or at least be a depth goalie.

211. San Jose [from Pittsburgh]: Amir Miftakhov, G
The Sharks take a late gamble on the smaller Russian goalie prospect. Passed over last year due to lack of size and strength, it could happen again... unless a team such as San Jose takes a chance on him.

Comparison: Jonathan Bernier. He's an undersized, athletic goalie with good agility. His lack of size might hold him back, so it'll be fun to see if he can become a regular at some point.

212. Philadelphia: Cameron Berg, LW/C
They gamble on Cameron Berg, who's getting underrated. If it works out, it's all the better for them. He's a boom or bust type that's coming out of the USHL to play in the NCAA.

Comparison: Anders Bjork. He could become a skilled, law-maintenance type of forward that works in a depth role.

213. San Jose [from Washington]: Juuso Maenpaa, LW/RW
He's so tiny... and yet extremely skilled. If he were a few inches taller, he'd be drafted much sooner. At this point, it's a boom-or-bust type of selection, seeming like someone the Sharks could take a huge chance on him.

Comparison: Aleksi Hepponiemi. Like Hepponiemi, he's very tiny and skilled. His lack of size might keep him from reaching his upside, so it's a risk.

214. Tampa Bay: Pavel Tyutnev, LW
They've always been ready and willing to take late round gambles on Russians and undersized talented forwards. Mix both of the previous together and you'll get Tyutnev.

Comparison: Denis Malgin. Undersized Russian forward that can play a skill game.

215. Colorado: Wyatt Schingoethe, C
He'll be going to the University of Denver soon enough. They grab him, taking a close look at his development for the next little while, hoping he can become a depth center for them.

Comparison: Teddy Blueger. The team that drafts him will hope he can become a depth center that works well on a penalty kill and down the middle.

216. Toronto [from St. Louis: Tanner Dickinson, LW
The Leafs take a chance on a dropping OHL forward from the Soo. Dickinson's got some speed in his game and Dubas has ties to the team. It could be a matchup.

Comparison: Darren Helm. Speedy winger that could compete for a depth role in the future.

217. Boston: Nate Schweitzer, D
For the final selection in the draft, the Bruins pickup Schweitzer, adding a smooth-skating defender to their prospect pool. They keep drafting from American systems and they don't stop now.

Comparison: Matt Irwin. Depth defenseman that skates well, moves pucks along and will bring depth offense/defense combination.

Notable names that went undrafted: Stanislav Rangayev; Ivan Zinchenko; Elliot Ekmark; Kristian Tanus; Samuel Johannesson; Kyle Crnkovic; Maxim Krovyakov; Ethan Bowen; Ilya Usau; Pontus Johansson; Dmitri Sheshin; Ivan Ivan; Cam Butler.

Final per team summary:

Anaheim
1. Alexis Lafreniere, LW/RW
31. Helge Grans, RHD
36. Tyson Foerster, RW
67. William Villeneuve, RHD
112. Blake Biondi, RW
129. Connor McClennon, RW
160. Simon Knak, LW/RW

Arizona
41. Jack Finley, C
103. Antonio Stranges, LW
134. Rory Kerins, C
165. Matthew Rempe, RW
196. Senna Peeters, RW/LW

Boston
62. Jaromir Pytlik, C/RW
93. Ian Moore, RHD
155. Lukas Svejkovsky, RW
186. Hugo Ollas, G
217. Nate Schweitzer, RHD

Buffalo
7. Alexander Holtz, RW
38. Drew Commesso, G
96. Zion Nybeck, RW/LW
131. Christoffer Sedoff, LHD
193. Grant Riley, G
209. Gunnarwolfe Fontaine, RW/LW

Calgary
12. Dylan Holloway, LW/C
43. Topi Niemela, RHD
74. Mitch Miller, RHD
100. Veeti Miettinen, RW
136. Pavel Gogolev, RW
167. Maximillian Glotzl, LHD
198. Garin Bjorklund, G

Carolina
15. Anton Lundell, C
46. Yan Kuznetsov, LHD
48. Roni Hirvonen, RW/C
69. Evan Vierling, C
77. Wyatt Kaiser, LHD
108. Oliver Suni, RW
201. Carsen Richels, RW
206. Jakub Dobes, G

Chicago
9. Marco Rossi, C
56. Joel Blomqvist, G
71. Sean Farrell, LW
102. Pavel Novek, RW/LW
133. Luke Reid, RHD
164. Nick Malik, G

Colorado
29. Jake Neighbours, LW
82. Daniil Guschin, LW/RW
122. Maxim Groshev, RW
153. Jake Boltmann, RHD
215. Wyatt Schingoethe, C

Columbus
14. Seth Jarvis, RW
107. Lucas Ramberg, LHD
138. Maxim Beryozkin, LW/RW
169. Hayden Fowler, C/LW
200. Michal Gut, C

Dallas
23. Jacob Perreault, RW
116. Brandon Coe, RW
147. Adam Wilsby, LHD
162. Josh Pillar, C
178. Joonas Oden, LW

Detroit
4. Tim Stutzle, C/LW
32. William Wallinder, LHD
52. Theodor Niederbach, C
58. Lukas Cormier, LHD
63. Roby Jarventie, LW
65. Jan Bednar, G
114. Yegor Chinakhov, RW
125. Kasper Puutio, RHD
156. Victor Mancini, RHD
187. Mikael Pyyhtia, C

Edmonton
21. Ridly Greig, C/LW
83. Carter Savoie, LW
145. Brayden Peters, G
176. Benjamin Gaumgartner, RW/LW
207. Reid Valade, RW

Florida
13. Kaiden Guhle, LHD
44. Vasily Ponomarev, LW/C
75. Donovan Sebrango, LHD
91. James Hardie, LW
106. Eemil Viro, LHD
144. Bear Hughes, RW/C
168. Owen Pederson, LW
199. Alex Gaffney, LW/RW

Los Angeles
6. Cole Perfetti, LW/C
35. Ryan O'Rourke, LHD
49. Jeremie Poirier, LHD
55. Daniel Torgersson, LW/RW
66. Justin Sourdif, RW
76. Alex Cotton, RHD
97. Alexander Nikishin, LHD
105. Dylan Garand, G
128. Michael Krutil, RHD
159. Jackson Hallum, LW
190. Logan Morrison, C

Minnesota
11. Yaroslav Askarov, G
25. Marat Khusnutdinov, C
42. Thomas Bordeleau, C/LW
104. Samuel Knazko, LHD
135. Jack Smith, LW/C
166. Axel Kumlin, RHD
197. Marko Stacha, LHD

Montreal
8. Jake Sanderson, LHD
39. Sam Colangelo, RW
40. Ozzy Wiesblatt, RW
61. Emil Heineman, LW
70. Brock Faber, RHD
89. Zayde Wisdom, RW/C
98. Calle Clang, G
101. Evgeni Oksentyuk, LW/RW
109. Ronan Seeley, LHD
132. Grant Slukynsky, LW/C
137. Ruben Rafkin, RHD
163. Jake Ratzlaff, RHD
188. Dmitri Rashevsky, RW
195. Lucas Mercuri, C

Nashville
19. Brendan Brisson, LW/C
37. Joni Jurmo, LHD
50. Tyler Tullio, RW
73. Tristen Robins, RW
81. Artem Shlaine, C
143. Landon Slaggert, LW/RW
174. Vsevolod Skotnikov, G

New Jersey
3. Jamie Drysdale, RHD
10. Jack Quinn, RW
18. Dawson Mercer, RW/C
99. Artur Akhtyamov, G
124. Alex Laferriere, RW
130. Ryder Rolston, RW/LW
161. Will Cranley, G
192. Mason Langenbrunner, RHD

New York Islanders
84. Dmitri Zlodeyev, C
115. Ryan Francis, RW
146. Trevor Kuntar, C
177. Charlie Desroches, RHD
208. Isak Garvfe, RW

New York Rangers
17. Rodion Amirov, LW
20. Noel Gunler, RW/LW
79. Anton Johannesson, LHD
85. Simon Kubicek, RHD
110. Oskar Magnusson, RW/C
141. Daniel Ljungman, C
172. Joe Miller, RW
203. Hugo Styf, LHD
204. Ryan Kirwan, LW/RW
205. Christian Jimenez, LHD

Ottawa
2. Quinton Byfield, C
5. Lucas Raymond, LW/RW
22. Hendrix Lapierre, C/LW
33. Justin Barron, RHD
45. Tyler Kleven, LHD
53. Dylan Peterson, RW
54. Nico Daws, G
64. Jean-Luc Foudy, RW
78. Luke Tuch, LW
95. Brett Berard, LW
152. Ethan Cardwell, C/RW
158. Jackson Kunz, LW
185. Brady Burns, LW/RW

Philadelphia
26. Lukas Reichel, LW
57. Eamon Powell, RHD
119. Oliver Tarnstrom, C/RW
150. Gage Goncalves, LW/C
181. Noah Ellis, RHD
194. Bogdan Trineyev, RW/LW
212. Cameron Berg, LW

Pittsburgh
87. Yegor Sokolov, LW/RW
118. William Dufour, RW
149. Jacob Dion, LHD
180. Aidan Campbell, G

San Jose
28. Mavrik Bourque, C/RW
34. Jan Mysak, LW/C
60. Shakir Mukhamadullin, LHD
126. Jesper Vikman, G
127. Theo Rochette, C/LW
211. Amir Miftakhov, G
213. Juuso Maenpaa, RW/LW

St. Louis
30. JJ Peterka, LW/RW
92. Thimo Nickl, RHD
123. Ethan Edwards, LHD
139. Jack Thompson, RHD
154. Karri Aho, LHD

Tampa Bay
59. Alexander Pashin, RW
88. Will Cuylle, LW
90. Carson Bantle, LW
94. Jacob Truscott, LHD
121. Karel Klikorka, LHD
157. Louis Crevier, RHD
183. Adam Raska, LW
214. Pavel Tyutnev, LW/RW

Toronto
51. Martin Chromiak, LW/RW
113. Dmitri Ovchinnikov, RW/LW
117. Isaak Phillips, LHD
148. Colby Ambrosio, RW
170. Devon Levi, G
175. Artyom Galimov, C
184. Stephen Halliday, LW
189. Leo Loof, LHD
202. Ivan Didkovsky, LW/RW
216. Tanner Dickinson, LW

Vancouver
80. Michael Benning, RHD
111. Luke Prokop, RHD
142. Alex Jefferies, RW/LW
173. Kirill Tankov, C
191. Danil Aimurzin, RW
Vegas
24. Braden Schneider, RHD
68. Daemon Hunt, LHD
86. Kasper Simontaival, RW
179. Thomas Chlubna, LW
210. Tucker Tynan, G

Washington
27. Luke Evangelista, RW
72. Emil Andrae, LHD
120. Cross Hanas, LW
151. Samuel Hlavaj, G
182. Parker Ford, RW

Winnipeg
16. Connor Zary, C
47. Ty Smilanic, LW/C
140. Zach Uens, LHD
171. Ben Meehan, LHD

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Appreciate the effort, but I doubt Buffalo would use a high 2nd on a goalie. They have Johansson in the AHL who's ready for back up duty with the Sabres, 7K was a 2nd rounder in 2018 is tracking nicely and is ready for Rochester, and Portillo their 3rd rounder last year just won USHL goalie of the year and is off to Michigan.
They might take a goalie later, but they desperately need high skilled forwards in their system. Also, if the draft shook out the way you laid out, I'd prefer they took Rossi as center is a position of need and Holtz while nice is too one dimensional

Reactions: newdimension

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Great picks for Red Wings . The only different , I do, to get Tyutnev in 7 round . Great job

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
AMAZING amount of work—thanks, I thought I spent too much time on the draft!!

Love that you have Finley inside 50, he could be special. Also glad to see Brayden Peters get mentioned.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Interesting read! I think Habs need firepower / gamebreaking forward more than steady defenceman. They have some of them already within the system who could play that role. So I think they would take Rossi if he's still there.

Colangelo is a good choice in the early 2nd, some size make sense especially if they go Rossi route in the 1st.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Love it for Ottawa. Lapierre makes a ton of sense for Ottawa, especially if they package 2 of their 2nds to get back into the 1st Rd.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I understand Peterka is a fine player, but I would hope the Blues not pass on the potential with Wallinder if given the chance.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
With it being the one glaring weak spot organization-wide, a weakness they have acknowledged they need to fix this offseason, and Nedeljkovic in his short NHL callup looking like a guy without an NHL future...unless they have a trade in-hand for a starting goalie or think they can land Lehner at a great price as a UFA...I doubt the Canes don't pick at-least one goalie early in this draft. (And most drafts after this one until someone locks down the job.)

They really need to come up with a Cup-contending-quality goalie if they want to take the next step to being a Cup contender. Nobody's winning a Cup with Mrazek or Reimer in net, no matter how elite the D in front of them is.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
My thoughts on the sharks picks

San Jose
28. Mavrik Bourque, C/RW
Amazing choice for us, seriously underrated guy that has some trouble with skating, luckily that has never ever in the sharks history been something they care about, and have many guys who have bad issues skating in the past.
34. Jan Mysak, LW/C Another steal, crazy skilled and drops because of limited viewership I would bet.
60. Shakir Mukhamadullin, LHD Not an ideal pick for me, I understand taking a D man with this pick but whenever I watch Muk I dont see much other than a third pair ceiling. Very safe to be an NHL player, but seems unlikely to be a great one.
126. Jesper Vikman, G Not a fan of picking goalies, and this one isnt really even on my radar, based on a pretty sucky SV% in the juniors I would hope they dont go with him.
127. Theo Rochette, C/LW Great steal of a pick, sharks love their fallers and arent afraid of guys who have been injured or had issues.
211. Amir Miftakhov, G Two goalies? I dont think its ever been done by the sharks, the fact that he will get a KHL shot is interesting, but being an overager with not super impressive numbers I pass.
213. Juuso Maenpaa, RW/LW I dont know much about him, but the numbers are good and it looks like he could get some Liga games in the near future, I like it.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Extra marks for having Goncalves in the first five rounds, but unfortunately I’m going to have to ding you for saying the Oilers need a goalie.

Great work, obviously a ton of effort.

ChabotToTrot

Jul 22, 2011
Ottawa
Ottawa's draft isn't bad at all. I'd probably swap Lapierre for Perrault. And Ottawa has Hogberg, Soogard, Gustavsson, Daccord, and Mandolese in their system, I don't see them taking a G in the next few years. I'll take Cormier, Villeneuve, or Andrae at that spot.

Thanks for putting it together! Interesting to see if a team that wins the lottery and needs a D gets ballsy and takes Drysdale

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I understand Peterka is a fine player, but I would hope the Blues not pass on the potential with Wallinder if given the chance.

i think Wallinder is going to continue to rise and likely won't be there for the Blues to pick by draft time ! i think he's been ranked too low most of the year. o_O

OB5

May 2, 2015
This is phenomenal. Really enjoying the Habs draft. I will say that I’d be very upset if they take Sanderson over Rossi.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
That would be an absolute DREAM draft for me, a Devils fan. I know the draft order has changed, but it's still possible they could get most of the guys you mention. Nice work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad