Recalled/Assigned: Newbury Recalled (1/25: Sent back down)

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Don't believe this is Kreider getting sent down. It would have happened already and been announced with the call up of Newbury.

Looks like Asham is not going back into the lineup yet, Bickel only played about 3 minutes last night.

Fourth line fill in.

Has Newberry ever got a shot at top six? I believe that's where he would be most useful.

SupersonicMonkey*

Has Newberry ever got a shot at top six? I believe that's where he would be most useful.

In the NHL?

I don't recall. I don't believe he has. Not with the Rangers anyway.

Don't think he will this time around, either.

Wamsutta

I'm Glen Sather IRL
Nov 8, 2011
Connecticut
Newbury is hot garbage and this is not going to work out any better than it has any of the half dozen other callups he's gotten.

SupersonicMonkey*

Kris Newbury. The Rangers don't have better options than Newbury? Lack of depth.

I think they'd probably would have preferred to call up Hrivik. But he has a concussion. Miller isn't ready yet. Jean? Could be.

It was Newbury most likely because its a fourth line spot. That's my guess.

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
How quickly we turn on our prospects when they don't set the the world on fire after their first three regular season games.

A more likely reason is that Asham is not ready to play tomorrow. Although Tortorella's post game comments suggest that he thinks Kreider isn't ready to play in the NHL yet.

I wouldn't say turned, but maybe it would be better for Kreider to develop more in the AHL, then recall him later on, if he is putting up numbers. I think the pressure, or just the NHL in general can ruin him IMO. If he needs more time to develop in the AHL, I have no problem with that.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Not sure why everyone is down on Newbury. The guy is fine for 6-7 minutes a night. He hits, he fights, he knows his role and he can win face-offs, something this team flat out sucks at.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if he sticks with the team as a 13th forward.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I agree, bring someone else up, he's horrible...

Does anyone ever think about the fact that the rest of the players on the whale are simply.... awful? Kreider and Newbury haven't had the best development in there. Gone to plenty of whale games over the past few months.... there is minimal talent displayed only because of lack of chemistry between these players.

Vickers8

Does anyone ever think about the fact that the rest of the players on the whale are simply.... awful? Kreider and Newbury haven't had the best development in there. Gone to plenty of whale games over the past few months.... there is minimal talent displayed only because of lack of chemistry between these players.

Newbury has limited talent and he's not a good fighter, so I would rather see Bickel playt till Asham comes back, especially against the flyers

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
If Newbury keeps his mouth shut and doesn't take and dumb/selfish penalties, he is a good option for the 4th line. Heart and Soul of the CT Whale, does it all... happy for him to get another shot at it.

So... Michael Haley... seems like many have bypassed him, he's buried in CT.

Apr 10, 2012
Don't believe this is Kreider getting sent down. It would have happened already and been announced with the call up of Newbury.

Looks like Asham is not going back into the lineup yet, Bickel only played about 3 minutes last night.

Fourth line fill in.

i don't know that you can rule it out because kreider isn't down there yet-- torts def spoke for it last night and it wouldn't be surprising. whale don't play til tomorrow... a night in the press box maybe?

there's def a good chance bickel is just gone, but idk.. torts def fed the speculation

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Newbury is exactly what our 4th line could use. Works his ass off, plays a hard N/S game, has a great attitude, won't let you down on the ice, unless he takes a few stupid penalties.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I think they'd probably would have preferred to call up Hrivik. But he has a concussion. Miller isn't ready yet. Jean? Could be.

It was Newbury most likely because its a fourth line spot. That's my guess.

Jean is actually not a bad option. Had he been older, he'd get the call up, but the team is probably thinking it's better for him to keep developing in Hartford a little more. Good speed, good size, good hustle, intelligent play. Doesn't have an NHL shot yet and he needs to improve his hands around the net, which is why he's in Hartford and why he's not scoring over a point per game there. He should also try to become more physical. Don't be like Boyle, Sparky, don't be like Boyle.

Give him another few months, he'll be in the NHL.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I wish Noob weren't afraid to carry the puck at the NHL level. He's not bad at moving it between the two blue lines. He's very well suited for the carry-dump-chase game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad