New York Riptide moving to Ottawa

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I'm not surprised. The Riptide have been absolutely terrible since inception and the lack of fan engagement as a result doomed them.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
The Rebel didn't draw too well back in the day. Current Riptide owner will still own the team.

Maybe a small carrot for the Sens when asking for $$ for the new arena down the road

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
I'm not surprised. The Riptide have been absolutely terrible since inception and the lack of fan engagement as a result doomed them.
I'm wondering at what point Vancouver decides to pack up and leave as well. Just as terrible, and probably not going to get better even with a move out of downtown and into the LEC.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It’s weird the NLL can’t get roots down in New York

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I'm wondering at what point Vancouver decides to pack up and leave as well. Just as terrible, and probably not going to get better even with a move out of downtown and into the LEC.
Well... Any other relocation will have to wait on if Panther City leaves Fort Worth due to having the worst attendance every season.

It’s weird the NLL can’t get roots down in New York
Every single team has played in Long Island and thus struggled to get into the actual city, plus the three major arenas (MSG, Barclays, and UBS Arena) charge crazy rent. Also didn't help that Nassau evicted the Riptide, likely due to unpaid bills.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well... Any other relocation will have to wait on if Panther City leaves Fort Worth due to having the worst attendance every season.

Every single team has played in Long Island and thus struggled to get into the actual city, plus the three major arenas (MSG, Barclays, and UBS Arena) charge crazy rent. Also didn't help that Nassau evicted the Riptide, likely due to unpaid bills.
The Saints at least lasted 15 years. And the Titans were only one. I have no idea how the riptide actually did in attendance though it’s been a while since I followed the league closely. I’m guessing not good.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
The Saints at least lasted 15 years. And the Titans were only one. I have no idea how the riptide actually did in attendance though it’s been a while since I followed the league closely. I’m guessing not good.
They ranked towards the bottom of attendance each year. Only Albany, who really does not care and just want a tenant for their oversized arena, and Panther City are worse.

Reactions: GKJ

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
For as much as the NLL likes to tout themselves as 'the next major league'...it really feels no different then the turbulent and often times boom or bust nature that plagued other leagues like say, Arena Football or whatever. It just makes me wonder at what point things collapse and it goes back to being, well, the niche sport that it is.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
For as much as the NLL likes to tout themselves as 'the next major league'...it really feels no different then the turbulent and often times boom or bust nature that plagued other leagues like say, Arena Football or whatever. It just makes me wonder at what point things collapse and it goes back to being, well, the niche sport that it is.
If anything they’re losing ground. Isn’t there another lacrosse league going on right now? And another in the summer?

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
If anything they’re losing ground. Isn’t there another lacrosse league going on right now? And another in the summer?
This is all just cursory, so take my word with a massive spoon of salt, but I think the summer one is more field lacrosse then box lacrosse, and basically serves as a way for NLL players and those looking to get into the league via the draft to get summer reps.

That being said, yeah it feels like they're desperately trying to grasp onto the straws of, as JDog said, whatever arena is looking for long term, winter tenants, and when they very clearly don't pan out, just move onto the next place whether it is ultimately viable or not. And I don't know how healthy that is for what will always be a niche sport, even in Canada when you consider Calgary, Saskatchewan and Halifax are for the most part, successes.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is all just cursory, so take my word with a massive spoon of salt, but I think the summer one is more field lacrosse then box lacrosse, and basically serves as a way for NLL players and those looking to get into the league via the draft to get summer reps.

That being said, yeah it feels like they're desperately trying to grasp onto the straws of, as JDog said, whatever arena is looking for long term, winter tenants, and when they very clearly don't pan out, just move onto the next place whether it is ultimately viable or not. And I don't know how healthy that is for what will always be a niche sport, even in Canada when you consider Calgary, Saskatchewan and Halifax are for the most part, successes.
That’s how it used to work for a lot of players, they would play indoor in the winter and outdoor in the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad