New York Rangers

Discussion in 'Carolina Hurricanes' started by ChuckW, May 26, 2020.

1. ChuckW Make the Hurricanes great again!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Assistant manager
    Okay please someone help me out I have paid zero attention to the Rangers this season. I need info. Someone link me to some or break down this team for me.

What's their style of play? What's the state of their defense and offense? Who do we need to be concerned about? Any obvious weaknesses in their game?

I need a crash course on the NY Rangers ASAP.

2. Finnished4Kaapo24 Registered Drug User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Good luck fellas, happy to have NHL hockey back! No regular season dominance don't dictate how a series will playout. 0-0 record. Goodluck

and as far as the Rangers. Our defense is pretty meh, but our offense is a powerhouse. Igor Shesterkin looks like the second coming of Henrik Lundqvist, so it'll be interesting to see who they give the edge to.

3. bleedgreen Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    Their offense is quicker and more dangerous, we have the deeper defense. The goalies at this point wash out to me, though others may feel different. They’re fast and young, and not easy to keep up with. Confidence is a big part of that, if we don’t let them get on a roll and continue what they were doing we should be good - if they play like they did when the season stopped we've got our hands full.

Tryamw, BHD, cptjeff and 5 others like this.
  4. MrazeksVengeance VENGEANCE

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    We take Vengeance - We win.
    We don’t - We don’t.

5. Tawnos A guy with a bass

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Forwards: The Rangers have one of the best top-6 groups in the league. They have one of the worst bottom-6 groups in the league (unless the time off meant steps forward for Chytil, Kakko and Howden)
    Defense: The Rangers have one of the most dynamic right sides in the league and one of the least dynamic left sides in the league.
    Goaltending: Shesterkin started his NHL career the same as he's played everywhere else. Capable of stealing games, 0.930+ save percentage. Whether that holds in a short series like this so early in his career is anyone's guess. Georgiev and Lundqvist both had inconsistent seasons, but I think both are also capable of stealing a short series.
    Power play: Top-10, but not top-5. The top unit includes both Panarin and Zibanejad.
    PK: Bottom-10, but not bottom-5 (and was showing lots of signs of improvement towards the end of the year)

Basically, if you can shut down the Rangers offensive engines, they've got no shot. The problem is that you've gotta shut down both of their top lines, as Panarin plays on one and Zibanejad plays on the other. Frankly, those two lines can kill you in any way imaginable. Panarin's line is most likely to do it on the rush, but they're also capable of what I think of as a "finesse forecheck" (basically keep away) that utilizes the support of their dynamic defensemen (Fox, DeAngelo, Trouba). Zibanejad's line can do it on the rush, do it with a finesse forecheck, or do it with a power forecheck.

They're not good enough defensively, both in terms of their actual defensemen and their team defense. Lots of Rangers fans criticize their defensive structure, but for me, I don't think they have the defensive players to play well defensively in any structure. Of course, half of their defense is young enough to see time-off growth the way those young bottom-6 forwards I mentioned could have, so it's a little hard to tell.

DaveG, BHD, AD Skinner and 6 others like this.
  6. MinJaBen Canes Sharks Boy Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    upload_2020-5-26_20-34-32.gif

7. bleedgreen Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    I think at this point their goalies are unproven in the playoffs and are still new in general. I don’t disagree they’re strong prospects who have played well this year, but there’s some shiny new toy going on at this point. They have to prove it longer before you say they’re the poo long term, though it wouldn’t surprise me if they are.

On the other side, Mrazek has proven himself capable of stealing games and going on ridiculous hot streaks. Last years performance was shocking at times and to me the biggest factor about how last year went.

I think it’s easy to overate the Rangers kids and under rate what Mrazek is capable of. To me until the Rangers youngsters have proven it through the playoffs this is a wash. Assuming one team or goaltender cant come out hot and surprise in the playoffs is to forget TB/Cbus last year. Mrazek hasn’t been as good as last year and Shesterkin has looked awesome. Doesn’t mean the opposite won’t happen in this series.

As for Hank, I was under the impression he was barely playing and they had given the team to the kids.

ChuckW, DaveG and cptjeff like this.
  8. cptjeff Reprehensible User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    He still started 26 games this year, and played in 30. Certainly nowhere near the singular figure in net he used to be for sure, but not bad for the transitional guy in a three headed goaltending monster.

Of course, the last time he won against an actual NHL team was when he beat us on December 27th.

Tryamw, DaveG and WreckingCrew like this.
  9. bleedgreen Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    Yeah I saw his stats, I just thought he had started more frequently early in the season and at some point they played the kids almost exclusively for awhile. I don’t think I’d expect to see him start against us without some special circumstance. I remember the buzz on Sirius when he took the backseat and all the speculation in how the Rangers would handle it. He’s basically third string and they’d be nuts to move one of the other two.

ChuckW, cptjeff and WreckingCrew like this.
  10. Svechhammer 2 Flags 1 Cup

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I mean we're going to be (outside of Pesce) all hands on deck with a fully rested roster ready to go for this. And we'll be the "home" team in this series, able to determine matchups on the ice more often than they will be.

Svech-Aho-Turbo
    McLovin-Trochek-Necas
    Nino-Staal-Williams
    Dzingel-Martinook-McGinn

Slavin-Hamilton
    Fleury-Vatanan
    Skjei-Gardiner

Mrazek
    Reimer

Fully rested and healthy, that's a solid playoff lineup that is going to dictate play from the blueline. And our top two lines should have more than enough pop to win. Put it this way, there aren't many teams that I don't think we can beat, especially when we are healthy and rested. We saw how good we can be out of the gate to start this season, and this will be a similar situation.

I just think this whole thing is a f***ing joke. I seriously cannot stand that they changed the rules right in the middle of this thing. Everyone played out the season under one set of expectations and guidelines, allowed us to go through a trade deadline that impacted the short and long term future of many franchises, and then blew it to hell and changed it all up because they didn't have enough big market teams in their cash grab playoff. f***ing pathetic, and really cheapens this season and era for me. I mean seriously, if we knew going into this year that this playoff season would be like this with the lottery system completely blown up in mid flight, is there any chance in hell we would have given up a 1st at the deadline for Skjei? f*** no we wouldn't have. And that's bullshit.

The league basically got to the point where all the GMs showed their cards for this season with all money in the pot, and then told everyone we were playing bridge and not poker from now on.

11. AD Skinner Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I don't hate that they are having a way to let the teams on the bubble play their way in. I do hate that they're doing so with a best of 5 series against teams like the canes (or pens or oilers or whoever else) whose regular season success gets severely minimized. A round robin of 10 or so games would be a much better way to substitute an ending to the regular season and allow teams more time to get ready for actual elimination games. A best of 5 series is such a small sample.

12. Blue Blooded Most people rejected his message

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Tawnos did a nice breakdown, but I thought I'd supplement it.

The Rangers identity is top-heavy pond hockey. 5th in GF (2nd since December) and 24th in GA (28th since December). They have one of the very best top-6:es in the league with the worst bottom-6 in the league. Howden and Kakko have been getting significant ice time despite having been among the very worst regular forwards in the league 5v5 (Kakko has been good on the PP though). When at least one of Zibanejad and Panarin has been on the ice (and they have performed better apart than together) we have outscored the opposition 106-60, compared to being outscored 44-83 when neither of them are.

The defence is similarly unbalanced with one of the best right sides in the league (and I'd say the very best in terms of offensive ability), with one of the worst left sides in the league (Staal and Hajek have at best been among the five worst defencemen seeing regular playing time in the league this season). The difference here is that our the right side of our defence is able to carry their weaker partners while nothing is able to mitigate the awful play by our bottom-6. The Zibanejad/Panarin 106-60 improves to 77-28 if at least one of DeAngelo/Fox are on the ice as well.

Our PP is if not top-5 then just below that. Statistically it is pretty much equivalent to Carolina's, we have scored at a slightly higher rate but yours has higher xGF/60. Our PK is dreadful and IMO bottom-5. While we are in the upper reaches of the bottom-10 in terms of GA/60 we are by far the worst in terms of xGA/60.

Goaltending-wise Shesterkin has been fantastic and incredibly consistent with only one bad game this season. Hank and Geo were conversely extremely inconsistent, mixing great performances with terrible ones in a pretty much equal split between the two categories.

13. ChuckW Make the Hurricanes great again!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Assistant manager
    Very interesting stuff. This is a matchup that is hard to figure out. Who really has the advantage here? Home ice is probably the biggest advantage because we can dictate matchups. It's not a cut-and-dry series tho. I have no idea what these games will look like. How will these 2 teams approach one another. Not much time to change strategies in a short series. Coaching will be important, can't get outcoached or it's over quick.

WreckingCrew likes this.
  14. MrazeksVengeance VENGEANCE

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Honestly, we have next to no idea until the first game is over.

cptjeff and ChuckW like this.