New York Rangers vs New York Americans circa 1938

*Bob Richards*

That's pretty cool. I like how everyone wears a suit and hat to the game. Everyone.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Now I must attend a Rangers/Devils game at Prudential stylin' just as hard as those guys. Going to try the exaggerated 30's gangster accent too.

I wore my brown sports coat and NYR homemade pocket square to the game last Thursday. :)

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I really, REALLY think that the Islanders third jersey needs to be an Americans jersey when they move to Brooklyn.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Now is the reason you don't see nearly as many open ice hits in today's game because players are faster and better at avoiding them, because players worry about getting out of position? All of the above?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Now is the reason you don't see nearly as many open ice hits in today's game because players are faster and better at avoiding them, because players worry about getting out of position? All of the above?

It's mostly about positioning. Good defensive players don't put themselves in those situations and, unless you have overwhelming offensive talent, you need to be a good defensive player in today's NHL.

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York
This is so cool. Wish I had a means to go back in time to see the type of culture NY hockey had back then. What was the rivalry like with these two teams? Can the stars of old compete with the stars of today? So many questions.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Yeah, its pretty incredible. Not many of those guys had any natrual tooth's left lol.

Its of course dangerous as hell, but I doubt many of those hits actually are made with 100% of intent to do as much damage as you can (as all hits are today (while within the rules of course)).

SupersonicMonkey*

I really, REALLY think that the Islanders third jersey needs to be an Americans jersey when they move to Brooklyn.

It would be interesting. But the Amerks played in MSG even while they went under the name Brooklyn Americans.

Still would make sense and would be cool to see.

MrAlfie

Is it bad I have a NY Americans vintage t-shirt and wear it quite fondly?

SupersonicMonkey*

I wonder what it would be like if the NHL hadn't screwed the Americans after World War II. The Americans were going to move to Brooklyn, they had an investor willing to build a new arena, but the NHL forced them to fold, seized control of the team and "retired" the franchise.

The Islanders are not exactly the Americans. But, I wonder what Dutton felt about the Islanders. And wonder what he'd feel about the Islanders now moving to Brooklyn, something he didn't get to do with his club what will be 69 years earlier (46-2015).

Rangers lost a great rival then. But gained two new rivals in the Islanders and Devils.

Its kind of a sad story actually.

http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2012/10/remembering-the-brooklyn-americans.html

Not our Rangers brightest moment. Well...MSG to be more accurate. As it was MSG that forced the Amerks out, not the Rangers.

But, the Rangers did atone and allowed two new franchises in the area later (Isles and Devils) and also allowed one of them to move into the city (Isles to Brooklyn in 2015).

The Barclay's is right near where Dutton planned to build his new arena.

SupersonicMonkey*

they should just go all the way and change the name. islanders playing in brooklyn is going to be pretty dumb

That would be pretty neat.

But the entire city is built on several islands. It does make sense.

Wonder how the NHL would react. Since they forced the franchise into submission.

pavelich

Jul 16, 2009
Great find!
Under related clips there's a Rangers/Black Hawks game from 1949 that is a bit longer, has multiple camera angles and two nice Rangers' goals. It also looks like demolition derby on ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad