Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Winnipeg Jets - February 11

Three Stars at Winnipeg - February 11

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
When it looks like this when the Rangers are winning, I don't think you need to worry they'll turn it around soon. They were flat out dominated, as usual and Hank was Hank. He won't be able to drag this team into the playoffs, but he makes tanking complicated.

I mean, when was the last time you thought to yourself: "NYR was the better team tonight"? That was quite a while ago.

They beat the team with the best road record in the league and the team with the best home record in the league. Regardless, that is impressive. I am going to enjoy watching some of the kids play regardless of the results the rest of the year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Two of those three LA picks were Hickey and Schenn. Two years of sucking that turned out useless and not worth it respectively.

Nashville only has Johansen and he's fifth on the team in points. Guess they won't be going back to the finals.

Vegas aren't exactly loaded down with generational guys. Yet they keep winning.

We went to the ECF and finals in consecutive years with not only not tanking, but ****ing up even our decent draft picks on the way. And haven't we won more playoff series' than any other team since 2004?

Brent Burns was a late first and Couture was only a 9th overall, so San Jose aren't good enough.

Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf never should of delivered a cup to Anaheim.

Etcetra, etcetra, etcetra..

Pittsburgh are riding a true generational talent. McDavid may prove to be that good too, but probably not. Crosby is likely going to be considered a top ten if not top five player all time when everything is said and done.

Chicago weren't just blessed with the talented guys, they were managed impeccably over their decade of being a top contender.

Tanking is definitely ONE WAY to try to become competitive. But it isn't the only, or necessarily even the best way. What if we got a couple less posts and beat LA, or if Nashville never had their top C go down and they beat Pittsburgh, or if Matt Murray never turned out to be a lifesaver in 2016?

FWIW I hope we sell all our UFAs and also manage to get overpayments for McD and Zucc. But it's absurd to talk in the absolutes that you are choosing to. A winning team can be built with smart managing decisions. We don't need to toil away in the bottom of the league for a decade a'la Edmonton and Toronto.

Being competitive and winning the Stanley Cup are two different things.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Another weird thing AV did yesterday: he played the top two lines substantially more than the others.
YES! I'm thinking that Gorton/Slats presser was a boot to AV's ass as well as the team. Please, please, please let this inspiration continue at least until we play in Brooklyn on Thursday. FOR ONCE to see them play like they WANT TO WIN when they go there instead of the usual sleepwalk fest they always have.

Claxton

Sep 30, 2007
Another weird thing AV did yesterday: he played the top two lines substantially more than the others.

The main reason I despise this coach. The moment he knows his job is secure he will go right back to his old ways.
Dahlin is one reason to tank, but getting AV's ass out the door is just as important.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Just as soon as I wrapped my ahead around 'hoping for a win but wanting to see a loss' we start our parade to the Cup. Clearly we're winning out guys.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Our D looks so much better without McD.
It has indeed, but i think that has more to do with reassigning Smith, Staal out with injury, and bringing up Pionk and Gilmour. The "youth injection" (those two and DeAngelo) has certainly given the defense more "spring in its step", at least in the short term.

Then again, you also have a solid point.. McD has not been playing very well, turn overs, missed passes, positioning has been off, etc..

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Imagine this D with McD/Shattenkirk, and without Holden.

Wew.

Holden has never been the problem on defense. Holden on the top pairing is the problem on defense.

No one should give Jesper Fast shit for not producing like an offensive forward when he's forced on the 2nd line.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
It has indeed, but i think that has more to do with reassigning Smith, Staal out with injury, and bringing up Pionk and Gilmour. The "youth injection" (those two and DeAngelo) has certainly given the defense more "spring in its step", at least in the short term.

Then again, you also have a solid point.. McD has not been playing very well, turn overs, missed passes, positioning has been off, etc..
Not to mention handling the puck like a hand grenade on the pp. (I stole that line from a poster in here. I forget who but it’s true.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad