Three Stars at Winnipeg - February 11

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
We play Minny on tuesday and Piles on Thursday. We know the Piles are gonna pound us. Minny? Ottawa, Philly next weekend. Well prob win the Ottawa game. Then a a back to back with the Scabs and Minny again before the deadline. Maybe Hank gets destroyed in Montreal. Detroit on Deadline day minus Nash,Grabner,Holden and possibly no Mac or Zucc. 19 games after the deadline, If all the above are gone I don't see how the team wins another 8 games plus over the last 19. So I'm pretty confident that we are going to own a high draft pick regardless.

Did you think they would beat Winnipeg?

Predicting how every game will go is pretty pointless and people are unlikely to be right as often as they think.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
We've basically been a meh team the last 2 years and not for nothing, but this team wasn't exactly playing well when everyone was healthy.

Winning games doesn't always mean that you're playing well. Forget the draft lottery, there is a huge difference between picking 8th and 16th.

JG already said that he won't be making moves to save the season, which means that they won't be adding. They're going to lose a pretty big chunk of scoring once Grabner and Nash are moved which should manifest itself into more losses but I'm a bit uneasy that staying close to the pack will keep JG from pulling the trigger on trades for Zucc, McD and others even if the offers are up to par.
It's a good point. I think JG is strong minded enough. It's Dolan I'm worried about, and Sather as well, who might be delusional enough to cancel the sell off. I think JG is savvy to see the forest beyond the trees

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think you`re upset buddy since we did not win the cup in 2014, and the meh team still qualified for playoffs in one of the most difficult division in NHL, @Go Away Staal . And M. Staal will probably be bought out - so you can probably change your avatar end of this season. :)
Why should it be any difference with our younger core in Miller & Kreider, Buch, they have not showed us anything so far that we are closer to that cup if we moved all our guys above 28 + including Grabner.

The 2014 team was VERY different than this one.

I'd consider the "core" of this team the guys who have basically been here since 2015-16. Since then we've seen this team get smoked by Pittsburgh and then lose in the 2nd round against a team they should have beaten. Stepan and Girardi, who were as much if the core as anyone, are no longer here, and thats just from last year's team.

If your argument is that this team is closer to a cup if they keep everyone than sell off some pieces you're probably right in the short term, but it's not a long term solution. This team as currently constructed isn't close to winning anything.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Did you think they would beat Winnipeg?

Predicting how every game will go is pretty pointless and people are unlikely to be right as often as they think.
Absolutely not, I've said in an earlier post that I expected to be brutalized by them.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
This team only plays hard when they face cheesy fake tough guy teams. When greasy teams like Winnipeg try to embarrass them, the Rangers actually show some guts.

Winnipeg isn't a Cup contender?

What does greasy mean?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
That`s fine and I understand that reasoning and opinion, @Go Away Staal , but it`s not a brief rebuild plan in that case - it`s more like a (3-5) years and probably outside of Henrik window.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Not really. Statistics show the teams that the Stanley Cup winners in today's NHL have elite skaters, 8 out of the last 10 came from 3 dynasties who spent 3 or more years picking in the top 5.

And I never said that every star in the NHL will win Stanley Cups or having them will guarantee a team Stanley Cups. Maybe there's actually something to the stars who go in the top 5, players like Crosby, Malkin, Kane winning Stanley Cups and the "stars" who've emerged later in the draft, Kucherov, Karlson not having any Cups yet.
your original point was it's rare to draft stars past the top 3 picks.Now you are moving the goal posts and changing your argument.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Then how can you predict future outcomes?

Buffalo was the team that derailed the Bruins streak. It's all kind of random.
Im not predicting anything, I'm just thinking realistically whats the most likely outcome. This roster is flawed as is.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Im not predicting anything, I'm just thinking realistically whats the most likely outcome. This roster is flawed as is.
Yes, the team is flawed. Most are in the cap era. Of course there are ways to minimize the flaws as much as possible, and the Rangers have not done a very good job there.. but waiting for the "perfect" team...well, you are likely to be waiting a *very* long time :)

Reactions: NCRanger

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I predicted that this team would go 4-6 right before the Boston game for the 10 games leading up to the deadline. I still stand by that. 2-5 against Wild x 2, Philly, Islanders, Sens, Habs, and Detroit isn't too farfetched. They should win against Detroit and Philly. Wild x 2, Islanders away, Habs away, and Sens away are almost certainly losses.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Tarasenko is a very good player, is he elite? So far, they haven't done that well in the playoffs with him as their best forward, so there's a good argument that he's not. Boston is the one outlier example to the three dynasties of the last 10 years. There will always be outliers, I'd rather us try to be part of the higher percentage group. Just because the Kings were able to acquire important pieces in other ways doesn't mean they weren't a team that picked 3 times in the top 5, including picking Drew Doughty who was one of the best defensive prospects in the last 30 years. I think you often need a combination of top 5 picks, and good acquisitions in other ways, whether its picks later in the 1st round, good drafting after the first round, trades, UDFA's, UFA's, etc.

I think you are putting up a pretty weak argument. If you look at the last 10 Stanley Cups, 8 of them have been won by 3 teams, the other two are this generation's outlier team in how they acquired talent, the Bruins and last generation's outlier team in how they acquired talent, the Wings. The three dynasties all picked in the top 5 at least 3 times in building up their teams. Probably more than anything what the data shows is that one pick won't be enough, we might need multiple top 5 picks, and it might take years to build up a dynasty. I think the stats show that if we don't pick in the top 5 this year, we are off track of where we need to be to properly rebuild the team.

Two of those three LA picks were Hickey and Schenn. Two years of sucking that turned out useless and not worth it respectively.

Nashville only has Johansen and he's fifth on the team in points. Guess they won't be going back to the finals.

Vegas aren't exactly loaded down with generational guys. Yet they keep winning.

We went to the ECF and finals in consecutive years with not only not tanking, but f***ing up even our decent draft picks on the way. And haven't we won more playoff series' than any other team since 2004?

Brent Burns was a late first and Couture was only a 9th overall, so San Jose aren't good enough.

Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf never should of delivered a cup to Anaheim.

Etcetra, etcetra, etcetra..

Pittsburgh are riding a true generational talent. McDavid may prove to be that good too, but probably not. Crosby is likely going to be considered a top ten if not top five player all time when everything is said and done.

Chicago weren't just blessed with the talented guys, they were managed impeccably over their decade of being a top contender.

Tanking is definitely ONE WAY to try to become competitive. But it isn't the only, or necessarily even the best way. What if we got a couple less posts and beat LA, or if Nashville never had their top C go down and they beat Pittsburgh, or if Matt Murray never turned out to be a lifesaver in 2016?

FWIW I hope we sell all our UFAs and also manage to get overpayments for McD and Zucc. But it's absurd to talk in the absolutes that you are choosing to. A winning team can be built with smart managing decisions. We don't need to toil away in the bottom of the league for a decade a'la Edmonton and Toronto.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I agree with that @egelband - we are not buyers. But don`t move all above 27 years old, because it will not go well next season.

I don’t disagree, necessarily... but at the same time, so what if it doesn’t go well next season? You ice a bunch of young guys alongside our remaining vets like Fast, Kreider, Miller, Hayes, Staal, Smith, Zbad and of course Hank and see what happens. Sign a cheap vet stop gap or two in UFA if we need it. If the youth does well we’re a bubble team that should only get better as youth gains experience and other prospects ripen in the system. If we don’t do too hot we draft in the top 10 again and only strengthen the farm and the future.

Reactions: trilobyte

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
When it looks like this when the Rangers are winning, I don't think you need to worry they'll turn it around soon. They were flat out dominated, as usual and Hank was Hank. He won't be able to drag this team into the playoffs, but he makes tanking complicated.

I mean, when was the last time you thought to yourself: "NYR was the better team tonight"? That was quite a while ago.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

That is why they are sellers, which we all agree is the way to go. Let's see how that turns out. How it turns out will define Gorton's time here.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Guys like ADA and Pionk can be part of the future here. I want to see these guys do well. Even if it means we win some games that make us draft 15th instead of 9th

You know what, I'd love to pick as high as possible but if the team starts to play better lead by young guys like ADA and Pionk .... I'm ok with that. That's a pretty fair trade off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->