Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at St. Louis Blues - March 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Right but at this point he's got an NHL spot.

But that's not what the initial response was about. He was an injury call-up. And after McDonagh was traded, now DeAngelo is out again with an injury.

Please tell me who is a better option than Gilmour at the moment. Bigras? Pedrie? Zborovskiy?

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
But that's not what the initial response was about. He was an injury call-up. And after McDonagh was traded, now DeAngelo is out again with an injury.

Please tell me who is a better option than Gilmour at the moment. Bigras? Pedrie? Zborovskiy?

Ryan Lindgren, obviously

honestly, there probably isn't a better option right now, but there's no reason one can't call out a defensive mistake that he made. I do hope he learns to position himself better, cuz I like the kid. he's definitely still learning, though, and it's very apparent.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Missed the game again, but kreider has made some insane moves the last two games. Unfortunately it's at the end of the season for both him and Zib, so it's hard to tell if these two have found a new level. Next season, hard reset, we will know if this stretch is legit - that they have attained legit top-line level play - or another disappointing aberration.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
On the question of re-signing Gilmour. Of course we do.

Defensively IMO he and DeAngelo have a lot in common as in they both need a lot of work.

DeAngelo has better stick skills than Gilmour and more of an edge. Gilmour does have one practically elite skill--he's a fantastic skater. I'll add that this is his first crack at the NHL--it also might be his last but how do we know he doesn't go away for the summer and come back a much better prepared player?--and that this late season audition/exposure to NHL play doesn't turn him into a much better player. You can see how he likes to join the attack either looking to initiate or coming in late looking for seams to get shots on goal. He's a risk taker--that's for sure. That will come back to bite you some times but at the same time he is trying to make a difference. In any case he skates great and even if he spends the balance of the season in Hartford he's gotten to the point where he's a pretty good AHL player. So yeah I would re-sign him.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Sometimes a play is just a great display of skill by the opponent. It doesn't always have to be a bad play by the defense. I've seen guys like Weber, Subban. Josi, Doughty and Karlsson get turned around like a play similar to what Schenn did.

Not every goal is the result of a defensive mistake.

I think the logical mistake you're making here is that even those elite guys make mistakes. I'd argue that almost every goal in a league as highly skilled as the NHL is the result of a mistake, or series of mistakes.

Yes, this was only one mistake for Gilmour. He's made a bunch more though. He's got a ways to go before he can be trusted back there.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yeah, but Gilmour's positioning was complete garbage which led to the goal.
Of course it was. My point is if Buchnevich or Zibanejad scored a goal that nice, this board would collectively faint. :laugh:

Mistakes and skill are not mutually exclusive. Most goals in the NHL are a result of both. If that was Chris Thorburn instead of Schenn, there's no goal scored there, regardless of Gilmour's error.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Kreider has been an another level since returning from the injury. Maybe he isn't taking things for granted as much anymore?

I didn't know the guy had it in him to make the kind of plays he's been making recently. I don't think it would be reasonable to expect this going forward though

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Kreider has been an another level since returning from the injury. Maybe he isn't taking things for granted as much anymore?

I didn't know the guy had it in him to make the kind of plays he's been making recently. I don't think it would be reasonable to expect this going forward though

Having a blood clot in your neck that could end your career tends to alter ones perspective. He’s actually said in interviews that it had a major impact on him.

Last edited:
Reactions: belford222

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I believe that most players want to play for the Rangers next season as well - so they kind of compete among each other to earn a spot next year, and some are hopefully not moved in the summer window. However good value players like Spooner is tempting to move based on value of the return, and my reasoning if he can return a 1st which I think is possible since he is only 25.

Spooner has been quiet while Zucc & Hayes function as a snipers and finisher on that line, but both Hayes & Zucc main strength are they are creative players and like to be that assist guy. :)

Last edited:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I also think Nam was best when he played his first Rangers game and just returned from Tampa Bay system - when AV try to adapt him into his system he start to regress and have a hard time on that Vesey & Buch line.
I believe that Nam & Zucc should play together again - they saw the ice differently than others and played a high paced IQ game and found each other many times, and I`m surprised that AV changed that, I really dislike the coach.

That line had 3 shots in the posts against the Flames - so not much luck related to production, but they had really good looks.

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If we want the organization to play the kids, it shoud be expected that there will be a learning curve at the NHL level. Especially for defensemen.
Agreed. Why can't that specific play be a learning experience? He just got embarrassed, by a professional offensive move. Made him look like a forward defending. Still, that doesn't mean he can't learn from it and position himself better, he obviously committed to stealing the puck, wanted to be a savior and make a great play. Burn baby, burn.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Well, if you're putting him "on pace", then I don't think you can mention his blood clot. One way or the other.

This makes no sense. The point is even with a career-threatening situation, he still has maintained a career-high pace for points. If anything, it strengthens his point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad