Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Ottawa Senators - February 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
For the record, I do not contend that those of whom wish for a rebuild are not true fans. However, those of whom root for the Rangers to lose and wish injuries or trade demands by their franchise goaltender, they are not true fans. If other fans did that on our board we would call them trolls, and rightly so.

I am in favor of trading ANY player that gives us a bright future. I don't care about the names on the back of the jerseys, only what it says in front. Your mileage may vary. I'm a true fan...since 1969. Season ticket holder since 1983.

Reactions: nevesis

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
C’mon man, the whole “injuries are no excuse” is BS! We’ve been decimated by injuries this year and with a few guys coming back by the deadline, they might do better than you think.

Where did I say anything about injuries??? Anyway, management seems to agree that this team needs a makeover. I'm all for it. Tired of mediocrity.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
How come?

Because they have a vested interest in the team's profit. That's going to taint their opinion especially on something as philosophically diverse as rebuilding vs retooling.

That was the first red flag in their post. The 2nd was the "im a fan and always want a win". I've had this convo countless times across different sports and it's tiring, so before digressing I'll leave you with a question -- what's the difference between:

1) Being a fan of a team and always, always wanting them to win the game. Can't fathom wanting a loss.

2) Being a fan of a team, but also a fan of talent which is entertaining and aesthetically pleasing. But what's the holy grail? Having upper-echelon talent on your team. It's infinitely more enjoyable this way.

Put it this way. Gun to your head, deep down, in your heart of hearts... is there a chance your team can win it all? Can it be considered among the top-10 teams in the league? Is there hope? Upside? Ceiling?

Yes? Then getting so invested in your team that your rabidly cheering on every single puck battle on the edge of your seat is worth it.

No? Then what's the point? You're team's a loser. Be a fan of talent first and enjoy the league. Why waste time watching crappy players knowing they don't have a chance? There's no reason to get invested in the team if they don't have at least 1-2 cornerstones/pillars. You can still be a fan and keep your eye on them, catch a game every now and then, but... c'mon, really?

I digress.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
I am in favor of trading ANY player that gives us a bright future. I don't care about the names on the back of the jerseys, only what it says in front. Your mileage may vary. I'm a true fan...since 1969. Season ticket holder since 1983.
You’ve got me beat by fifteen years in both categories. However, as a season ticket holder through the entire dark years including the great purge of 04’, for the life of me, I will never understand how anyone could pay money to go to the games (I never missed a game) and watch that shit. I think after 04’ the organization made great strides towards building a perennial success (term is completely subjective) and should continue the same course, with perhaps a larger course correction being necessary this year.

Reactions: NCRanger

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
You’ve got me beat by fifteen years in both categories. However, as a season ticket holder through the entire dark years including the great purge of 04’, for the life of me, I will never understand how anyone could pay money to go to the games (I never missed a game) and watch that ****. I think after 04’ the organization made great strides towards building a perennial success (term is completely subjective) and should continue the same course, with perhaps a larger course correction being necessary this year.

Yup, I went to games through the dark years. It was a better alternative than staying home to watch Dancing with the Stars. It was actually close to the same thing, come to think of it! hahah

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
DeAngelo was terrible today (especially on the first goal) but he's been pretty good in this little stretch. We have to let him play big minutes and see what we have, next season too. Honestly what I want to see out of him is more flair - I've seen more smoothness and offensive "PMD" upside and obviously skating from Gilmour, who's 24, barely a prospect and might be playing in Magnitogorsk in two years because he's an adventure in his own end.

And on that note, no, it's not wrong to want an Ovechkin or a Stamkos on the Rangers when we've been getting by for years and years on goaltending and straight up meme systems. I just think we'll always try to put out a competitive product as long as Lundqvist is here and playing like Lundqvist.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Exactly! And even then, I could never bring myself to want them to lose.

I only want them to lose so we have a better chance at getting better and much more entertaining. Then again, Sather is in charge, so no chance of that happening unless we pick in the top 3. Hard to screw that up! lol.

We don't need another Lauri Korpikoski pick instead of Travis Zajac. Yikes.

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
I don't understand why ADA wasn't on either PP today. Even if not on PP1, there were 5 LHS on PP2. Why not put him out there then? So sick of AV.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Not for nothing, I think one of the reasons a Ranger fan is more hesitant to be okay with a tank/rebuild is because the average Ranger fan is much more emotionally invested than the average Caps fan, for instance.

If the Caps go into a tank, 70% of the fan base disappears. 50% of them never come back.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Because they have a vested interest in the team's profit. That's going to taint their opinion especially on something as philosophically diverse as rebuilding vs retooling.

That was the first red flag in their post. The 2nd was the "im a fan and always want a win". I've had this convo countless times across different sports and it's tiring, so before digressing I'll leave you with a question -- what's the difference between:

1) Being a fan of a team and always, always wanting them to win the game. Can't fathom wanting a loss.

2) Being a fan of a team, but also a fan of talent which is entertaining and aesthetically pleasing. But what's the holy grail? Having upper-echelon talent on your team. It's infinitely more enjoyable this way.

Put it this way. Gun to your head, deep down, in your heart of hearts... is there a chance your team can win it all? Can it be considered among the top-10 teams in the league? Is there hope? Upside? Ceiling?

Yes? Then getting so invested in your team that your rabidly cheering on every single puck battle on the edge of your seat is worth it.

No? Then what's the point? You're team's a loser. Be a fan of talent first and enjoy the league. Why waste time watching crappy players knowing they don't have a chance? There's no reason to get invested in the team if they don't have at least 1-2 cornerstones/pillars. You can still be a fan and keep your eye on them, catch a game every now and then, but... c'mon, really?

I digress.

Bra-f***ing-vo.

I agree. For me, Hank has been that player that made it worth it for a the last decade plus. But the team around him has finally descended to a level where, without additional intriguing individual performers to watch out for, it has become un-enjoyable.

Reactions: nevesis

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
I mean the goal on Hank counted today but the goal on Raanta didn't wtf?? So I agree with Talbot wtf is goalie interference at this point

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Truth be told, I gave up on them after the Islander game.

I spent the afternoon with my wife.

Frankly, I don’t give a rat’s *** about how some third line plug has “potential” because he has “speed”. I don’t enjoy watching “young” players “try”. It’s not enjoyable watching your team lose and seeing a franchise goaltender get embarrassed.

It’s a damn joke.

Let’s go draft the next Manny Malhotra and think he’s great after he puts up an exciting 23 Point season.

I hope you under 30’s enjoy this ****.
We did. His name is Lias.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global

I digress.

First of all, owning shares in your favourite sport team doesn't have to be about financial gains and quite frankly shouldn't be. I am myself a shareholder in MSG not as an investment but purely for sentimental value as i get to display my share certificate amongst my other Rangers memoribila. It gives me joy to know that I own a piece of the team that I love. There is no conflict of interest. That piece of paper has the same symbolic value to me as the piece of turf I have from Old Trafford which I have displayed together with my Man United memoribilia. Now, I don't know if @KOVALEV022473 shares my philosophy when it comes to business and investments but owning shares in your team is quite common for pure sentimental reasons.

Second, what you are describing ("be a fan of talent first and enjoy the league") is more akin to a general fan of the sport which is fine but still we need to be clear. Now I dont want to use the term "true fan" nor do I want to generalise so I will only speak for myself.

I personally can not do what you describe. Switch off my feelings or the passion I have for my team just because they are in a deep rut. Whenever my team plays I want them to win, no matter what! You know why? Because it is not just about the players on the ice or the field. It is about the history and most importantly, it is about the city they represent.

Headaches about whetther or not that specific win was a bad thing for the team in the long run can be dealt with in a bar with likeminded people who are just as ecstatic as I am over the fact that our team/city won.

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think we all end up rooting for the jersey but it’s also natural to get attached to certain players for various reasons. But then, they go. And we get over it. The team is always ahead of the player.
When the rangers traded stepan or brassard or leetch, even. The fans are pissed for a day or a week but always come back. Always.

Reactions: Siddi

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Ahl is a step below.
So is the College, So is the CHL, So is all the european leagues so? What hes doing as a 19 year old along with Chytil is very impressive please it is very stupid to compare someone to Manny f***ing Malhotra despite him having 1 good D+1 season

Reactions: shinchanyo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad