• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Do I think he’s even watched a game with shestyorkin in it? No

Do I trust his opinion here? No

It’s a classic NA goalie says it’s harder when I did it because Americans and Canadians are tougher and better. And hockey ain’t the same anymore kid...

Why would you make this generalizing assumption? He’s a former goalie now analyst for a network that covers the team. Why watching Shesterkin wouldn’t it be part of his work? I would actually be more skeptical if he claimed that Shesterkin would be an immediate star coming over.

Reactions: Siddi

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I think he's right to an extent that KHL numbers are a little inflated, but to what extent? Let's say they are more inflated than the AHL for example. Even so, it's a better league with better shooters than the AHL, so what's the trade off here? If you normalize the SV% to that of what is typical for the top few spots in each league, it doesn't exactly change anything other than maybe a few stat watchers are less impressed. Is Valiquette a stat-watcher?

The only pause I have with Shesty is due to the quality of his team, not the quality of his league. Goalies always have great stats when they're playing behind dominant teams. Of course he plays a role in their dominance, but if he came here today, he'd be coming into essentially the opposite situation he's in right now from a shot quality perspective.

Not a knock on him at all. Just something to consider when writing him into the lineup.

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
Watching Lundqvist makes me truly sad that we haven’t been able to win a Cup with him.

He deserves it. I don’t think people completely grasp how much they’re going to miss him after he retires.

Maybe if he keeps playing this way they can squeeze into the playoffs this year. And then anything can happen. Pipe dream I know but Philly made it to the playoffs the year that Olli Jokinen made that dazzling shootout move for us and they went all the way to the Finals.

Reactions: shinchanyo

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Agree about Shestyorkin but Henrik top 20 of all time? I think you’re well underselling the King short. To me he’s in discussions with Hasek, Roy, Brodeur. The only thing that separates them is SC but Henrik never played with a team as good as these other goalies had in front of them in their careers.

They played in different eras too. Lundqvist would have thrived in the pre-lockout NHL and I'm sure he would've had a Cup to his name.

Brodeur played 9 full seasons after the lockout and even he didn't win another one.

And as for Shesty, I haven't seen anyone mention Allaire. He's the best goalie coach in the world and everything he touches turns to gold

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The only pause I have with Shesty is due to the quality of his team, not the quality of his league. Goalies always have great stats when they're playing behind dominant teams. Of course he plays a role in their dominance, but if he came here today, he'd be coming into essentially the opposite situation he's in right now from a shot quality perspective.

Not a knock on him at all. Just something to consider when writing him into the lineup.

Its a fair point. Here's a chart I made chronicling the last two seasons from the three goalies who've played regularly in both of the last two seasons at KHL powerhouses, SKA and CSKA. The first number is save percentage over the two years. The numbers in the parentheses are games played, and shots faced per game. Player 1 is Shestyorkin, player two is Koskinen, player three is Sorokin.

1518/1623=.9353 (67, 24.22)
1195/1288=.9278 (52, 24.77)
1573/1692=.9296 (76, 22.26)

The best stats of that bunch are player 1, so its not like he lags behind others on the powerhouse teams. The shots he faces per game are lower than the NHL, but its not like SKA faces 10 shots per game. SKA faces around 4 shots per game less than the NHL leader most seasons. And while SKA is a powerhouse, they give up a lot of odd-man rushes. They are not as good defensively as offensively. I should also mention that he has played games where his team sucked, and he had to drag them to a win. When he was playing in the VHL, his team was awful, and he nearly dragged them to the Championship putting up the best stats in the league's history. He dragged Russia to the WJC finals in 2015.

Reactions: Synergy27

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Its a fair point. Here's a chart I made chronicling the last two seasons from the three goalies who've played regularly in both of the last two seasons at KHL powerhouses, SKA and CSKA. The first number is save percentage over the two years. The numbers in the parentheses are games played, and shots faced per game. Player 1 is Shestyorkin, player two is Koskinen, player three is Sorokin.

1518/1623=.9353 (67, 24.22)
1195/1288=.9278 (52, 24.77)
1573/1692=.9296 (76, 22.26)

The best stats of that bunch are player 1, so its not like he lags behind others on the powerhouse teams. The shots he faces per game are lower than the NHL, but its not like SKA faces 10 shots per game. SKA faces around 4 shots per game less than the NHL leader most seasons. And while SKA is a powerhouse, they give up a lot of odd-man rushes. They are not as good defensively as offensively. I should also mention that he has played games where his team sucked, and he had to drag them to a win. When he was playing in the VHL, his team was awful, and he nearly dragged them to the Championship putting up the best stats in the league's history. He dragged Russia to the WJC finals in 2015.

Just want to be clear that I'm high on him. Only "concern" I have is how good that team is.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad