Confirmed with Link: New York Rangers 6th Round Pick #174 OA - Tyler Wall (G)

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a 1st.

first thats ridiculous. you might as well demand connor mcdavid...

second, no one is talking about trading him cause he isn't good. the topic was brought up because if he doesn't sign he can be a UFA on August 15th and walk for nothing. based on the assumption that he'll look at the rangers and georgiev, shesterkin and huska behind hank with lindbom in europe and decide he'd have an easier path to the nhl with another team

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
first thats ridiculous. you might as well demand connor mcdavid...

second, no one is talking about trading him cause he isn't good. the topic was brought up because if he doesn't sign he can be a UFA on August 15th and walk for nothing. based on the assumption that he'll look at the rangers and georgiev, shesterkin and huska behind hank with lindbom in europe and decide he'd have an easier path to the nhl with another team

No McDavid is ridiculous but I do think Draisaitl would be in play for Wall. I would definitely do that.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Certainly possible, but I’m not sure he really has a blocked path though.

Shesterkin isn’t long for the AHL and there’s a very real possibility that he or George are moved at some point in the next couple of years.

There could be an immediate opening in Hartford for him, where he’d have a legit chance to compete for the starting role.

So there is a path forward and the market for college UFA goalies isn’t quite as popular as it is for skaters.

Yeah, but he's going to get $925K regardless. Why go to a place that is stacked with goalie prospects?

I really do like Wall. He's developed REALLY well. But let's be honest, here. He's never, ever going to be a starter for New York. We also have Huska just looking fantastic thus far. If he signs with us, he's basically tied up in our organization for the next half a decade. Going the UFA route affords him the ability to go to a place where he can at least have a chance at starting.

I hope we sign him since I hate losing talent, but I would not blame him in the least if he chooses to see what the market looks like. And who knows? Maybe he would sign with us regardless since we treat our prospects and players so well.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah, but he's going to get $925K regardless. Why go to a place that is stacked with goalie prospects?

I really do like Wall. He's developed REALLY well. But let's be honest, here. He's never, ever going to be a starter for New York. We also have Huska just looking fantastic thus far. If he signs with us, he's basically tied up in our organization for the next half a decade. Going the UFA route affords him the ability to go to a place where he can at least have a chance at starting.

I hope we sign him since I hate losing talent, but I would not blame him in the least if he chooses to see what the market looks like. And who knows? Maybe he would sign with us regardless since we treat our prospects and players so well.
Yeah if you look at the G situation from a prospect's perspective, you see Georgiev looking really good, you know what Shesterkin is doing and can see what he's doing in the AHL, you know the team likes Huska and he's playing really well. They probably have to trade a guy in the next 1-2 years, but it feels like they have their starter and backup already here (and that's ignoring Lundqvist and the fact that he could conceivably still be around).

I'm not saying it would be unwise to come here; if he thinks it's a good development environment he could definitely come. He could develop for a couple years and then find himself being moved. That said, it might be more appealing to choose from the handful of teams that would inevitably make him an offer.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
part of how this plays out depends on Lowell's season,
if they end early-ish, with hartford still contending,
and NYR offer the ELC beginning in Fall plus the ATO for spring '20,
maybe Wall signs on.
I have less respect for guys who avoid competition and over-manage their path,. Too many unexpected things happen,
Take the opportunities afforded to you, work hard, and build a career.
NYR appreciated this kid's talent ahead of every one else, he was having a great year but at low level junior league.

and a few years with Benny would only help build a strong career

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

All valid points. Push comes to shove, I think he signs. There's a path forward, a renowned goalie coach, what is likely to be an immediate opening in the AHL, and a potential path to the NHL. Factor in that the market for unsigned college FA goalies isn't typically one that promises a significant benefit, and that goalie prospects fetch pennies on the dollar in trades, and I just don't think it'll be an issue.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
For years we were really thin at the goalie position in our prospect pool. Now we are pretty stacked. It’s really good to see so many of our goalie prospects playing well from the pros down through the minors. I hope Wall stays with us and develops more. He could be very useful as a player or a chip down the line.

Reactions: Leetch3

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
That said, it might be more appealing to choose from the handful of teams that would inevitably make him an offer.

I think that’s the goal for most young guys that are not in the league.

They don’t give a damn where they play — they just want an opportunity, and Wall getting that opportunity here might literally, never happen.. Regardless of how well he plays.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
All valid points. Push comes to shove, I think he signs. There's a path forward, a renowned goalie coach, what is likely to be an immediate opening in the AHL, and a potential path to the NHL. Factor in that the market for unsigned college FA goalies isn't typically one that promises a significant benefit, and that goalie prospects fetch pennies on the dollar in trades, and I just don't think it'll be an issue.

Hey, I sure hope he does. He has some nice trade value at some point.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
...I have less respect for guys who avoid competition and over-manage their path,. Too many unexpected things happen,
Take the opportunities afforded to you, work hard, and build a career.
NYR appreciated this kid's talent ahead of every one else, he was having a great year but at low level junior league.

and a few years with Benny would only help build a strong career

This. All of this.
Going to a situation with a perceived easier path to the NHL could change in a moment’s notice. Same goes for a perceived roadblocks (I mean it’s quite possible that Georgiev is moved and Lundqvist is also gone before 20-21 season is over). The Rangers organization has a history of churning NHL goalies.
IMHO Wall would do better letting the situation develop naturally in the next 2-3 years at least.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
There's a lot in favor of Wall signing with the Rangers:

1st class organization that treats the players well.
Recent revamping of HFD.
Chance to train with Allaire.
Rangers have a long and demonstrated history of getting guys to good opportunities elsewhere if they're not going to play here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad