Confirmed with Link: New York Rangers 6th Round Pick #174 OA - Tyler Wall (G)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Just food for thought, the median draft position for the last 11 Vezina winners is 116.

If we assign the Bobrovsky the 212th pick of the 2008 draft (he went undrafted), the mean position is 115.

Point being that anything is possible with a goalie taken in the sixth round.

We'll see what happens.

DontToewzMeBro

May 8, 2010
My friends play with this kid in a competitive league Thursday nights. Definitely some solid practice for any tender. Extremely solid goalie, makes great reactionary saves.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
1.91 gpa and .927 svs %, off too a good start as an 18 year old true Freshman with UMass-Lowell.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Solid pick I think huska is the best of our goalie picks and that includes shesterkin.

I think huska's game and size translates best to the NHL. He's my sleeper.

Just wish he didn't go to UCONN not a fan of that decision.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Solid pick I think huska is the best of our goalie picks and that includes shesterkin.

I like Huska, but this is crazy. Shesterkin is really good in the KHL, a league superior to the AHL. At the very least, he'll be an NHL backup, and he has as good a chance to become an NHL starter as any goalie we've had at the same age in the last 25 years not named Hank. Maybe Blackburn who got injured, but that's it. Shesterkin is a very good goalie prospect, possibly our best prospect at any position.

Just food for thought, the median draft position for the last 11 Vezina winners is 116.

If we assign the Bobrovsky the 212th pick of the 2008 draft (he went undrafted), the mean position is 115.

Point being that anything is possible with a goalie taken in the sixth round.

We'll see what happens.

Goalies are the least predictable prospects, which is why it's a terrible idea to draft them in the first or even the second round. You should use quantity of picks on them, not quality. This is why it was a good idea to draft Wall this year and Huska last year despite already having Shesterkin, Skapski, Hellberg and Halverson. Notice that Halvy is not looking too great now, Hellberg is almost definitely not going to be an NHL starter and probably not a backup either, and Skapski has struggled again in the AHL. You must keep drafting goalies in mid and late rounds until you get Hank's replacement. I wouldn't even mind 2 more goalie draftees in 2017, but I definitely want at least one.

Last edited:

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY

This just doesn't make any sense. Shestyorkin is playing in what is certianly the 2nd best league in the world. He has started 16 games so far this season and his numbers are as follows:

Wins: 12
Losses: 1
Shootout Losses: 2
SV %: 940
GAA: 1.57
Shutouts: 5

There is no doubt he is our best goalie prospect and he is arguably our best prospect not in the NHL.

Reactions: egelband

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
This just doesn't make any sense. Shestyorkin is playing in what is certianly the 2nd best league in the world. He has started 16 games so far this season and his numbers are as follows:

Wins: 12
Losses: 1
Shootout Losses: 2
SV %: 940
GAA: 1.57
Shutouts: 5

There is no doubt he is our best goalie prospect and he is arguably our best prospect not in the NHL.

That's not even asmall sample for a goalie. It's pretty decent and lines up with what we expected from him going into the season from his past performance in the KHL, VHL, MHL and WJC.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
shestyorkin is one of the top goalie prospects in the world.

forget just this organization.

I've got shesty as our #1 prospect in the entire organization after buchnevich, vesey and skjei who have already arrived.

he's certainly head and shoulders better than huska- who's looks very good as well but no where near the same zip code.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Yeah, Shestyorkin is easily a top-5 goalie prospect in the world outside the NHL, probably top-3 (2?). Who's ahead? Sorokin and MAYBE Demko?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, Shestyorkin is easily a top-5 goalie prospect in the world outside the NHL, probably top-3 (2?). Who's ahead? Sorokin and MAYBE Demko?

Corey Pronman had him 10th in terms of goalie prospects before the season started, but that list included Murray and Vasilevskiy who are technically still considered prospects. He was really 8th on that list, if you don't count those players. That was also before how well he's started this season. Some of the others ranked above him on that list included Gillies, Subban, Hart who I don't think are better than him.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Corey Pronman had him 10th in terms of goalie prospects before the season started, but that list included Murray and Vasilevskiy who are technically still considered prospects. He was really 8th on that list, if you don't count those players. That was also before how well he's started this season. Some of the others ranked above him on that list included Gillies, Subban, Hart who I don't think are better than him.

Yeah, i don't think you can possibly have him outside of top-5 right now.

But this is Wall's thread so guess i'm done with OT now :)

Happy to see he's doing so well.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
shestyorkin is one of the top goalie prospects in the world.

forget just this organization.

I've got shesty as our #1 prospect in the entire organization after buchnevich, vesey and skjei who have already arrived.

he's certainly head and shoulders better than huska- who's looks very good as well but no where near the same zip code.

It does seem like Shestyorkin is the future after Hank laces them up (or when his starter days are over).

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
At this rate, I expect him to join Huska in Hartford next season.

With the exception of a disastrous sophomore season, he's done just about everything you could ask him to do and continued to refine his game.

His reflexes are very good and he moves well. But probably the biggest advance has been his positioning. He's not just relying on his ability to react, he's doing a good job of consistently taking away open net from the shooter.

It's kind of like a pitcher who has a great fastball, but also has learned to mix in a solid curve and breaking ball. It makes him that much more dangerous.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I got them ranked

Shestyorkin
Huska
Wall
Skapski
Halverson

If I was on the spot, I think Wall might actually be a better at the same point in time, and have more upside than Huska.

Wall has a lot of tools to work with. From a pure physical ability standpoint, his reflexes are arguably right behind Shesterkin. If he can continue to make the refinements on positioning and taking away choices before the shot is taken, I think he has a pretty potent combination of size, reflexes and talent.

If George and Shesterkin weren't performing so well, I think we'd hear a lot more about Wall.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If I am Wall, I likely don't sign with the Rangers and opt for free agency. Just my own two cents. The glut of goalie prospects we have would make that seem like a good decision. I wouldn't hold it against him.
Yeah, if I'm the Rangers I feel him out by the TDL and move him in a package if I get the sense that he's going the UFA route. I can also see him avoiding our situation.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Yeah, if I'm the Rangers I feel him out by the TDL and move him in a package if I get the sense that he's going the UFA route. I can also see him avoiding our situation.

I wonder if his name pops up in Puljujarvi discussions. Edmonton has maybe 1 good goalie prospect. Wall would be right there most likely.

Unless they want NHL caliber players, could see Wall as part of this.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If I am Wall, I likely don't sign with the Rangers and opt for free agency. Just my own two cents. The glut of goalie prospects we have would make that seem like a good decision. I wouldn't hold it against him.

Certainly possible, but I’m not sure he really has a blocked path though.

Shesterkin isn’t long for the AHL and there’s a very real possibility that he or George are moved at some point in the next couple of years.

There could be an immediate opening in Hartford for him, where he’d have a legit chance to compete for the starting role.

So there is a path forward and the market for college UFA goalies isn’t quite as popular as it is for skaters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->