Confirmed with Link: New York Rangers 6th Round Pick #174 OA - Tyler Wall (G)

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Glad they took a goalie. I wanted one in this very round. Plus, how can you go wrong with a goalie named Wall?

Tyler Wall
Goalie -- shoots R
Born Jan 14 1998 -- Leamington, ONT
Height 6.03 -- Weight 202

2015-16 Leamington Flyers GOJHL 31GP 1.49 .940

Ranked #195 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #30 by NHL Central Scouting

He'll play for UMASS in the 2017-18 season. Not sure what he'll be doing next season.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Goalie, named Wall...

Going to be tough to come up with a nickname for him. Bad pick.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
ANOTHER goalie? I mean, BPA, if that's who you think this is, but would've preferred to hear they took a falling Russian or the like...

I left a bunch of posts here showing how rarely goalies truly succeed, so you always need to load up on them - not 3-4 prospects, but literally a dozen so long as you're not spending first rounders on them. In essence, a below average forward is still a valuable 3rd liner, but a below average goalie is a backup who's a dime a dozen and even an above average goalie is a pretty bad starter. Keep drafting goalies in later rounds until one hopefully proves himself a competent replacement for Hank. If not, eventually we'll need to start drafting goalies in the first round, as we did twice [Blackburn and Montoya] to try to replace Richter. Those two goalies were both top-10 picks. I don't want to have to waste multiple future top-10 picks on goalies who go bust much more than other top-10 picks, so better off spending 5-7 rounders round now.

Shesterkin, Skapski, Halvy, Huska, Wall, that's 5, but none in the first two rounds. Keep reaching for goalies in future drafts. Always take at least one.

Last edited:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I left a bunch of posts here showing how rarely goalies truly succeed, so you always need to load up on them - not 3-4 prospects, but literally a dozen so long as you're not spending first rounders on them. In essence, a below average forward is still a valuable 3rd liner, but a below average goalie is a backup who's a dime a dozen and even an above average goalie is a pretty bad starter. Keep drafting goalies in later rounds until one hopefully proves himself a competent replacement for Hank. If not, eventually we'll need to start drafting goalies in the first round, as we did twice [Blackburn and Montoya] to try to replace Richter. Those two goalies were both top-10 picks. I don't want to have to waste multiple future top-10 picks on goalies who go bust much more than other top-10 picks, so better off spending 5-7 rounders round now.

And they are staggered
Halvy this year, Shesty probaby in 18, huska in 20, wall in 21
Seems prudent to me

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Shesterkin, Skapski, Halvy, Huska, Wall, that's 5, but none in the first two rounds. Keep reaching for goalies in future drafts. Always take at least one.

You make a good point. Fair enough, I'm on board.

See, HFNYR arguments CAN be won. :)

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom

Couldn't agree more

Keep drafting goalies in the late rounds and you might get lucky and find a diamond in the rough

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Yeah, I was thinking we were solid on the goalie front, since the picks we've made all seem to have been playing well... but I think the organization is very aware that Hank won't play forever. Might as well stockpile these guys and hope you end up with a solid starter for 2021 (or perhaps sooner, depend on how well Hank ages [in terms of hockey, he'll always be a handsome *******]). If we are better at scouting and end up with 3 starter quality guys, we can make more deals like the Talbot one. If I'm looking at this right, we got Kovacs, Zborovskiy, Morrison, and Huska for him...not a bad haul.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
And don't forget, there's a really good chance that we'll lose Raanta in the expansion draft. If not, he'll likely be gone the year after anyway as he'll be looking for a starting gig somewhere, or more money at least.

Edit: My bad, this was a 6th round pick.

Last edited:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
And don't forget, there's a really good chance that we'll lose Raanta in the expansion draft. If not, he'll likely be gone the year after anyway as he'll be looking for a starting gig somewhere, or more money at least.
If Vegas were running odds on whether Antti Raanta would get picked in the expansion draft, and they gave 20-1 odds that he would, I would bet hard that he wouldn't.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If Vegas were running odds on whether Antti Raanta would get picked in the expansion draft, and they gave 20-1 odds that he would, I would bet hard that he wouldn't.

They have to select 3 goalies. They may not select him as their #1, but I could see them taking him as a backup.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
They have to select 3 goalies. They may not select him as their #1, but I could see them taking him as a backup.
If it were me, I would be very unenthused about picking up a 28-year old, steady backup when there are likely to be many more higher upside options available.

rhinomark50

Aug 22, 2014
Commitment is for 17-18, so he'll probably be in the USHL or BCHL or something next season.

He's actually starting classes in July, so I'm guessing the site is wrong or he's red shirted this year and practicing with the team.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Take a goalie every year in the 5th, 6th or 7th. Goalies take a while to develop. I like that he's going to the NCAA as well.

Huska and We'll (if that site is wrong and he is starting this,coming season) are 4 years away from the AHL more then likely. Probably 6 years from the NHL.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
So this was an argument I was having in one of the draft day discussion threads in terms of drafting a goalie late. I thought that if you were drafting a goalie late, that it was probably just better to take a skater.

This is a very arbitrary success measure, and I'd point everyone again to the chart that Burtch tweeted out here:

As it uses actual stats to determine goalie value by draft pick #

This chart below is a simple count, and the determination of success is if the player has appeared in 82 games or more at the NHL level. The chart is for all drafts since the year 2000.

WzAQiWl.png

I'd argue there is some sample size bias in here since there are much fewer goalies selected than skaters especially in rounds 8 and 9 there. I could go back further in time, but I don't feel like doing that.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
So this was an argument I was having in one of the draft day discussion threads in terms of drafting a goalie late. I thought that if you were drafting a goalie late, that it was probably just better to take a skater.

This is a very arbitrary success measure, and I'd point everyone again to the chart that Burtch tweeted out here:

As it uses actual stats to determine goalie value by draft pick #

This chart below is a simple count, and the determination of success is if the player has appeared in 82 games or more at the NHL level. The chart is for all drafts since the year 2000.

WzAQiWl.png

I'd argue there is some sample size bias in here since there are much fewer goalies selected than skaters especially in rounds 8 and 9 there. I could go back further in time, but I don't feel like doing that.

There also hasn't been a 8th or 9th round since 2004 i believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad