New York Knicks: Why is this franchise so bad?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I think, with the money in New York, with the arena like MSG, with so many fans ... Looking to their history, there is not much to celebrate. Only 2 titles and that in 70s. In last 20 years only 5 times in playoffs.
And: Not a single mega star on the level of LeBron, Durant, Shaq, MJ ...

Why is that? Why cant they make a dynasty team? Why the megastars doesn't want to sign with this franchise?

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Why the megastars doesn't want to sign with this franchise?

James-Dolan-750x422.jpg

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It wasn't for a lack of trying, they tried to get in on all these free agents and couldn't. There was the one dude they hired away from the Pacers whose job it was to get LeBron to come to the Knicks back when he went to the Heat and didn't even get a sniff. It also seems that the Nets are seen as the 'New York' team now too.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
Phil Jackson didn’t help. What’s with these great players or coaches being garbage executives? I kinda understand Michaels struggles with the hornets but man oh man Phil. He signed Jose Calderon cause he spoke good Spanish, traded Tyson chandler away for a box of cookies and signed Lamar odom who was on crack at the time.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
I think, with the money in New York, with the arena like MSG, with so many fans ... Looking to their history, there is not much to celebrate. Only 2 titles and that in 70s. In last 20 years only 5 times in playoffs.
And: Not a single mega star on the level of LeBron, Durant, Shaq, MJ ...

Why is that? Why cant they make a dynasty team? Why the megastars doesn't want to sign with this franchise?
1. Some pretty bad draft lottery luck lol
2. James Dolan being a scrub
3. Not a very new and hip culture, I mean they got spike lee but if I’m a big star I’m looking at opportunity elsewhere
4. Bad overall basketball decisions outside of James Dolan. Aka Phil Jackson

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The owner fundamentally doesn't understand how to construct a team (both on the court and in upper management) and is more interested in hiring big names than anything else.

.... well, almost anything else....

JDtheStraightShot-UnitedCenter-ChicagoIL-PhotoCredit-IanBardecki-174-581x600.jpg

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Their owner is an incompetent nincompoop.

They would have signed a star free agent by now if any other person owned the team. I mean, not only does he fail to hire good people, he manages to piss of franchise greats and pretty much anyone else that calls him out on his BS. Rangers have succeeded because he's stayed away and does not try to micro manage them.

Also doesn't help that since their last title, they have had a handful of good seasons and thats it.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Phil Jackson didn’t help. What’s with these great players or coaches being garbage executives? I kinda understand Michaels struggles with the hornets but man oh man Phil. He signed Jose Calderon cause he spoke good Spanish, traded Tyson chandler away for a box of cookies and signed Lamar odom who was on crack at the time.
Phil Jackson was the President, it was the GM Steve Mills that signed Noah, Hardaway Jr, drafted Knox, etc.

Phil gets the heat because he got paid big bucks, but at least he had a philosophy in mind and was able to recruit players. IDK why Mills got a huge pass all those years.

Phil actually orchestrated the best move the team made in decades when drafting Porzingis, much to the disapproval by Knicks fans everywhere at the time.

The answer is Dolan though. They'll never win anything with him as President. They're 5 years away from being a playoff team if things don't blow up again.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
For as long as I have cared about pro sports (mid 1980s) I can’t ever remember the Knicks being very good. Sure, they’ve had moments of semi-glory, but aside from an appearance in the ‘94 Finals, nothing comes to mind.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
Phil Jackson was the President, it was the GM Steve Mills that signed Noah, Hardaway Jr, drafted Knox, etc.

Phil gets the heat because he got paid big bucks, but at least he had a philosophy in mind and was able to recruit players. IDK why Mills got a huge pass all those years.

Phil actually orchestrated the best move the team made in decades when drafting Porzingis, much to the disapproval by Knicks fans everywhere at the time.

The answer is Dolan though. They'll never win anything with him as President. They're 5 years away from being a playoff team if things don't blow up again.
Ehhh, Phil oversaw all those moves though. I do think hardaway jr was a good addition though, he’s just overpaid but he’s a decent scorer. Also hernangomez wasn’t a bad signing at the time. Don’t even get me started on the 4 year contract that was given to Courtney Lee, which should’ve made national news for its stupidity. The whole porzingis situation is so funny and that’s why I hope that the Knicks are miserable for the next 20 years cus f*** their fans

Last edited:

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
Ehhh, Phil oversaw all those moves though. I do think hardaway jr was a good addition though, he’s just overpaid but he’s a decent scorer. Also hernangomez wasn’t a bad signing at the time. Don’t even get me started on the 4 year contract that was given to Courtney Lee. The whole porzingis situation is so funny and that’s why I hope that the Knicks are miserable for the next 20 years cus f*** their fans

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Ehhh, Phil oversaw all those moves though. I do think hardaway jr was a good addition though, he’s just overpaid but he’s a decent scorer. Also hernangomez wasn’t a bad signing at the time. Don’t even get me started on the 4 year contract that was given to Courtney Lee, which should’ve made national news for its stupidity. The whole porzingis situation is so funny and that’s why I hope that the Knicks are miserable for the next 20 years cus f*** their fans
THJ was an inefficient chucker before and after he was signed by the Knicks. It was pretty terrible and everyone knew it since day 1.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
THJ was an inefficient chucker before and after he was signed by the Knicks. It was pretty terrible and everyone knew it since day 1.
Really? Cause watching him with Dallas this year he’s been very good. Developed a decent 2 way game there as well. Always thought he had the skill to be a star in the league but not the bball iq

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I mean the only real successful New York team (including Rangers, Giants, etc.) in the last 10 years is that Rangers team that went to the Finals and the Giants for a few seasons in the early half. It’s not just a Knick thing. It’s a city thing. To me, it’s always thinking you’re better or have a bigger pull than you actually do.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I mean the only real successful New York team (including Rangers, Giants, etc.) in the last 10 years is that Rangers team that went to the Finals and the Giants for a few seasons in the early half. It’s not just a Knick thing. It’s a city thing. To me, it’s always thinking you’re better or have a bigger pull than you actually do.
the yankees haven't been slouches either, though. they've had many good seasons in the 2010's. if you're going to mention the 2014 rangers, you better damn well mention the 2015 mets, who made it to the world series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad