New York Islanders are on a 17 game point streak (now ended by ANA)

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Hands down a great team to watch tonight.
There are very speedy and their building was rocking. Is it normally like that or just because the Leafs were in town?

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
After the last two minutes of that game we should not be gloating or making threads.

giphy.gif

kuzy92

Mar 5, 2017
Unfortunately the Caps are on their own 13 game point streak.. Isles are a great team, they are coached by the best!!

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don’t know if it’s Trotz’s defensive system or if it’s goaltender coach Mitch Korn, but I’m becoming convinced that these guys have some way of making a heavy positive influence on goaltender performance - even according to statistics which factor shot quality into goaltender performance.

“dfSV%” is a goaltender’s actual save percentage (on all unblocked shots, including those that miss the net) minus their expected save percentage on all unblocked shots. It is, in my opinion, one of the best statistics for judging goaltender performance on a per shot basis; far better than raw save percentage.

Highlighted are seasons where Barry Trotz was head coach:

012893-EB-0-FC4-4-B98-A528-5-BDB040-D6954.jpg

We’re still working with a very small sample for 2019-2020, but this is note worthy nonetheless. And even if you remove the 2019-2020 seasons for all 5 goaltenders, there is still clearly a very strong trend here.

I think we may need to accept that while goaltending is generally volatile and the kind of goaltending that the NYI have got over 1.2 years now is not generally sustainable, they are coached by Barry Trotz, and Barry Trotz's teams are far more likely to sustain excellent goaltending than normal teams.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad