New York City Thread: Part III (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Sometimes it depends on how they make the pizza on that day - I had a pizza that blew my mind last month at Lombardi's, and other times I've gone the same exact pie has been soggy and boring (this is something you avoid at Di Fara's for now, with Dom cooking every pie himself).

This is something I factor in when I talk about which places I like. It's why spots lie Joe's and Patsy's in Harlem are always at the top of my list, because I know every time I walk in there I am going to get the same quality slices I've gotten every other time previously. Contrast that with a place like Artichoke Basille's original location which, at its best, actually has an awesome margherita slice but only is at its best maybe 10% of the time I go there.

I will say that I have had Di Fara a couple of times recently without Dom and the pizza has tasted exactly the same. You'd always rather have it made by the master but I do think it's a positive sign that with him getting older they still maintain that quality when he's not in there. I was worried about that especially since their Vegas location is apparently not very good.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I was not a big fan but I generally disfavor the neapolitan style pizzas you get from Roberta's, Lucali, Zero Otto Nove etc. I've also never had my pizza made by the owner, Iacono, who seems to be there less and less of recent times. I remember my friends going there quite regularly when they first opened and Iacono was there making the pies almost every day.

That's interesting and a good point. I guess I'll have to keep going back to make it a bigger sample size for each place :laugh:

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
Hey guys, I haven't stayed in an NYC hotel in quite a few years... was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or insights into whether or not I'd be better off getting a hotel for the home opener 3 months in advance (i.e. - now) or closer to game day? Thanks!

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Hey guys, I haven't stayed in an NYC hotel in quite a few years... was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or insights into whether or not I'd be better off getting a hotel for the home opener 3 months in advance (i.e. - now) or closer to game day? Thanks!

Well, not sure if I can give you a definite answer on this but let me give you some perspective.

I used to work in a hotel and the one I worked at was always making sure that the maximum profit margin is reached, so prices would rarely ever go down regardless of how far in advanced they were booked. The only time we have reduced the hotel price significantly ($30 to $60) per night was when we tried to achieve a sell out for the night.

Meaning that, if we had 2 rooms left, management would tell us, okay guys phone up the other hotels, see if they are full and let them know our rate is down by this and this much and if they have to send a guest to another hotel because they are overbooked to let them know what the new rate and availability is.

Not saying this is practice everywhere but this is how our hotel functioned, which btw was a big franchise (3 stars and up, like a notch above Holiday Inn and stuff).

Additionally a few words of advise when booking.
When we see that somebody booked via expedia or other discount pages we always put them into less desirable rooms... like rooms that are next to the elevator, ice machine or towards a noisy high way.
Pro tip to fix that sort of "problem", call the hotel and request an "accessible" room.
They usually don't cost extra and are generally speaking bigger and just more desirable for obvious reasons. Of course you'd have to live with the fact that you might take away a handicap accessible room from a person who will actually need it. Just throwing that out there.

Lastly I'd like to mention that I stayed at both the Amsterdam Court Hotel and the DaVinci Hotel last year. For the DaVinci I paid less than 200 a night with 3 people occupancy. The Amsterdam Court Hotel cost me around 150 a night for just one person.
Both are good Hotels for short stays (of course also depending on which room you get) and are located Midtown super close to Time Square and a brisk 20 minute walk from MSG.

I checked earlier to see how much they would run me now for the dates I'll be in NYC and I'd have to pay 2-300 for either one of those Hotels.

I think unlike with flights, Hotel prices don't fluctuate AS much and it really depends on the dates you are staying.

I know I didn't exactly help you out that much but I hope some of the advise helps you out with whatever you are looking for.

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
Well, not sure if I can give you a definite answer on this but let me give you some perspective.

I used to work in a hotel and the one I worked at was always making sure that the maximum profit margin is reached, so prices would rarely ever go down regardless of how far in advanced they were booked. The only time we have reduced the hotel price significantly ($30 to $60) per night was when we tried to achieve a sell out for the night.

Meaning that, if we had 2 rooms left, management would tell us, okay guys phone up the other hotels, see if they are full and let them know our rate is down by this and this much and if they have to send a guest to another hotel because they are overbooked to let them know what the new rate and availability is.

Not saying this is practice everywhere but this is how our hotel functioned, which btw was a big franchise (3 stars and up, like a notch above Holiday Inn and stuff).

Additionally a few words of advise when booking.
When we see that somebody booked via expedia or other discount pages we always put them into less desirable rooms... like rooms that are next to the elevator, ice machine or towards a noisy high way.
Pro tip to fix that sort of "problem", call the hotel and request an "accessible" room.
They usually don't cost extra and are generally speaking bigger and just more desirable for obvious reasons. Of course you'd have to live with the fact that you might take away a handicap accessible room from a person who will actually need it. Just throwing that out there.

Lastly I'd like to mention that I stayed at both the Amsterdam Court Hotel and the DaVinci Hotel last year. For the DaVinci I paid less than 200 a night with 3 people occupancy. The Amsterdam Court Hotel cost me around 150 a night for just one person.
Both are good Hotels for short stays (of course also depending on which room you get) and are located Midtown super close to Time Square and a brisk 20 minute walk from MSG.

I checked earlier to see how much they would run me now for the dates I'll be in NYC and I'd have to pay 2-300 for either one of those Hotels.

I think unlike with flights, Hotel prices don't fluctuate AS much and it really depends on the dates you are staying.

I know I didn't exactly help you out that much but I hope some of the advise helps you out with whatever you are looking for.

Thanks so much for the insight. Definitely is helpful and interesting to know some of the behind the scenes stuff that goes on. I've stayed in hotels down here in PA lately and check prices over a couple month span beforehand, but get mixed results in terms of price movement.

As for my situation - I'm a pretty ******, single 30-year old that, as of now, is going solo, so I just need a hotel to pre-game before the game and have a place to stay afterward. I doubt being in the way of foot-traffic will affect my decision... I've seen Hotel Pennsylvania and Riff Chelsea nearby for under $200, but most everything else (close to MSG) is pushing $300+. Not trying to be a penny pincher, but I would've thought, with so many options, that it wouldn't be that high, especially for a Thursday night, but wasn't sure if it'd get worse closer to October.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Thanks so much for the insight. Definitely is helpful and interesting to know some of the behind the scenes stuff that goes on. I've stayed in hotels down here in PA lately and check prices over a couple month span beforehand, but get mixed results in terms of price movement.

As for my situation - I'm a pretty ******, single 30-year old that, as of now, is going solo, so I just need a hotel to pre-game before the game and have a place to stay afterward. I doubt being in the way of foot-traffic will affect my decision... I've seen Hotel Pennsylvania and Riff Chelsea nearby for under $200, but most everything else (close to MSG) is pushing $300+. Not trying to be a penny pincher, but I would've thought, with so many options, that it wouldn't be that high, especially for a Thursday night, but wasn't sure if it'd get worse closer to October.

If you are single and don't mind taking the sub and "less than stellar" Hotels or even Hostels with shared bathrooms you can definitely find some stuff for under $100 bucks in Manhattan.

By the way, PA represent. I'm between Erie and Pittsburgh. Life sucks for NYR fans out in Western PA.

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
If you are single and don't mind taking the sub and "less than stellar" Hotels or even Hostels with shared bathrooms you can definitely find some stuff for under $100 bucks in Manhattan.

By the way, PA represent. I'm between Erie and Pittsburgh. Life sucks for NYR fans out in Western PA.

Haha, unfortunately, I'm about 45 minutes from Philly, so I get the awful Flyers fans. However, when I was at PSU, I got fans from both PA teams. That was truly the worst.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013

I've also worked in the hotel industry and have worked at the hotel across the street from MSG. Prices do fluctuate, but not as much as flights.

I echo all the advice that the other poster gave you. Always book direct through the hotel.... and if you're single and don't care, there are plenty of inexpensive 2 star non-chain hotels that are inexpensive.

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
I've also worked in the hotel industry and have worked at the hotel across the street from MSG. Prices do fluctuate, but not as much as flights.

I echo all the advice that the other poster gave you. Always book direct through the hotel.... and if you're single and don't care, there are plenty of inexpensive 2 star non-chain hotels that are inexpensive.

Thanks!

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
While we're on the subject of pizza, I highly recommend taking a trip to Fairfield County or New Haven for some New Haven style pizza. I'm born and raised from NJ, and I love NJ pizza. But New Haven style is a completely different type of pizza from the NJ/NY pizza.

New Haven style is thin, crispy, and made in a coal oven with a thin, chewy crust. Frank Pepe's is out of this world and probably one of my favorite pies. I remember the last time I was there, my friend and I polished off a whole large pie in one sitting.

I also went to college in Fairfield, CT for four years, so I'm partial to Fairfield pizza too. Colony Grill (Yes, the franchise Chris Drury owns), The Nauti Dolphin, Luigi's, and Pizza Mediterranean were my favorites around there when I was in school. Pizza Mediterranean actually has the best sicilian style that I've ever had.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
While we're on the subject of pizza, I highly recommend taking a trip to Fairfield County or New Haven for some New Haven style pizza. I'm born and raised from NJ, and I love NJ pizza. But New Haven style is a completely different type of pizza from the NJ/NY pizza.

New Haven style is thin, crispy, and made in a coal oven with a thin, chewy crust. Frank Pepe's is out of this world and probably one of my favorite pies. I remember the last time I was there, my friend and I polished off a whole large pie in one sitting.

I also went to college in Fairfield, CT for four years, so I'm partial to Fairfield pizza too. Colony Grill (Yes, the franchise Chris Drury owns), The Nauti Dolphin, Luigi's, and Pizza Mediterranean were my favorites around there when I was in school. Pizza Mediterranean actually has the best sicilian style that I've ever had.

New Haven pizza is phenomenal. Frank Pepe's is excellent. I have been to both the original CT location and the one in Yonkers and they're both great. Definitely recommend that people stop by the one in Yonkers if you don't want to trek into CT. Sally's Apizza in New Haven is also a really solid spot.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Friend of a friend coming into NYC for a week and was asking if I knew of any place for under $100 a night that was decent. Anyone have ideas?

They were hoping for Manhattan. I've lived in Manhattan or commuted now, so other than the random hotel treat - never really researched budget lodging.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

Always Rosa's :thumbu:

Last time I had Rosa's it was awful. Granted that was years ago, but it wasn't good at all.

NY Pizza Suprema. Best in the area.

Near the Garden, it doesn't get any better than this place. One of my favorite slices in Manhattan.

Joe's Pizza is still the best slice on the planet. I have dreams about that pizza when I plan a trip home. Can't wait til September. :) I make sure I'm very hungry when it's time to eat there. One day I plan to order a large pie & eat it all in one sitting. I've actually done that at Grimaldi's here in Vegas. :laugh: No I'm not obese, I just really like pizza, & nothing is better than Joe's.

I grew up in Queens & three places that stand out & are still around with the same amazing slices are Amore in Whitestone, New Park in Howard Beach & Gloria's in Forest Hills. Gloria's used to be on Main Street in Flushing, but they re-opened years later on Queens Blvd.

Yes I've had DiFara, multiple times. It's very good, but not life changing, not worth a trip to Brooklyn, not worth the wait, & not worth the price. We actually have two DiFara locations here in Vegas. They buy all the same ingredients from the same suppliers as the one in Brooklyn, even have a water filtration system to mimic NYC's water, but they have no idea how to cook the crust. :( It's still way better than 98% of the pizza out here, but nothing like the one on Ave J.

New Haven is an awesome spot for pizza. Very, very under-rated. :nod: A hidden gem if you've never been there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->