New York City Thread: Part III (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Lucali in Brooklyn is the best pizza I've ever had. Including Italy.

I don't know, I had some great pizza in Rome and Naples last year. Anyway I am generally satisfied by the local places where I live in Queens. The places where I work are kind of lackluster but beats almost anything I've had elsewhere in the US (and that includes the difara's in las vegas).

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I'm not such a fan of pizza in Italy either. New York is the pizza capital of the world.

The pizza in Italy is unbelievable with 100% fresh ingredients. There are some places in New York that compare, but overall pizza parlors in Italy can't be matched.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
The pizza in Italy is unbelievable with 100% fresh ingredients. There are some places in New York that compare, but overall pizza parlors in Italy can't be matched.

Italian ingredients are indisputably the best in the world. I just find the texture of toppings wrong there. Too watery/washed out. I'll choose pasta or risotto as a starch delivery method before pizza in Italy. :)

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Italian ingredients are indisputably the best in the world. I just find the texture of toppings wrong there. Too watery/washed out. I'll choose pasta or risotto as a starch delivery method before pizza in Italy. :)

Fair enough, you can't go wrong either way :handclap:

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

I usually don't get toppings, just the basic margherita. Not watery at all where I went.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
So, coming into NYC around Dec to take a plane to Germany.

Party consists of wife, myself and 9 year old. Luggage will be 2 large suitcases plus carry-on (backpacks, laptop case, camera bag, purse [I know, very specific haha]).

My initial plan was to maneuver the sub from Manhattan (Hotel location) and airtran to get to JFK. Naturally did some research and reading and technically it's not that big of a deal to do this and it's also fairly cheap.

However, what makes me nervous is having a 9 year old, several items to haul around and Jamaica Central. Which means I'm leaning towards simply taking a cab which gives you sort of "door to door" service and aside from possibly sitting in Manhattan traffic for a bit makes it more hassle free and a bit safer I'd assume as well.

Which means as of right now I'm taking a cab.

Question I have though, do they still offer a flat rate from Manhattan to JFK (50 some bucks) or should I expect to pay more than $80?

If anyone has other suggestions, I'm open to hear them.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
So, coming into NYC around Dec to take a plane to Germany.

Party consists of wife, myself and 9 year old. Luggage will be 2 large suitcases plus carry-on (backpacks, laptop case, camera bag, purse [I know, very specific haha]).

My initial plan was to maneuver the sub from Manhattan (Hotel location) and airtran to get to JFK. Naturally did some research and reading and technically it's not that big of a deal to do this and it's also fairly cheap.

However, what makes me nervous is having a 9 year old, several items to haul around and Jamaica Central. Which means I'm leaning towards simply taking a cab which gives you sort of "door to door" service and aside from possibly sitting in Manhattan traffic for a bit makes it more hassle free and a bit safer I'd assume as well.

Which means as of right now I'm taking a cab.

Question I have though, do they still offer a flat rate from Manhattan to JFK (50 some bucks) or should I expect to pay more than $80?

If anyone has other suggestions, I'm open to hear them.

As a New York subway commuter, I urge you to please take a cab or car service. There is a flat taxi rate to JFK (does not include tolls and tip), and car services would be pretty close.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
As a New York subway commuter, I urge you to please take a cab or car service. There is a flat taxi rate to JFK (does not include tolls and tip), and car services would be pretty close.

I figured as much. I remember a couple years back I asked a person who at the time seemed to be as safe of a bet to ask if I was headed in the right direction and in response I was yelled at while my wife was standing right next to me haha.
This guy was clean cut, laptop bag, suit and looked like a regular office worker you'd think would have some common sense and some social skills.

I probably wouldn't care if it was just me and my wife with a backpack but I don't think taking the sub dragging a kid along with a bunch of luggage seems particularly safe or enjoyable.

Thanks man.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I would avoid the subway/trains too.

There are flat rate shuttle vans from Manhattan to JFK also. I've never personally taken it, but I have my cousins from Ireland take it into Manhattan to meet me at work whenever they fly into JFK and they never complain.

https://www.nycairporter.com/howitworks/

I personally would take an Uber/Taxi, but it all depends on how much you want to shell out. For 3 people, it'll probably be $45-50.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017

There are flat rate shuttle vans from Manhattan to JFK also. I've never personally taken it, but I have my cousins from Ireland take it into Manhattan to meet me at work whenever they fly into JFK and they never complain.

I personally would take an Uber/Taxi, but it all depends on how much you want to shell out. For 3 people, it'll probably be $45-50.

This actually looks like something I'd seriously consider. Tolls and tips included it seems cheaper too.

I'll definitely do some more research on the airporter.

Thank you!

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

Unless you have a ton of luggage I don't know why people would suggest avoiding the airport subway. I take the subway from manhattan to the airport all the time from downtown (A to Howard Beach then the air train). From midtown it's probably better to take E to Jamaica. For 3 people that's about $24. Taking a nonpeak LIRR instead adds another $1 or so per person.

A taxi is $52 flat rate plus some tolls/fees which can vary so maybe figure $65+ with tip. You can also get a private car service for around the same rate.

I've never taken an uber from manhattan to the airport but never saw a fare under $75 whenever I checked the rates. And now they want you to tip as well so I doubt I'd ever take an uber to the airport.

Last edited:

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The flat rate taxi will be $70+ after tolls, tax, and tip. I don't mind taking the E ---> AirTrain ---> Terminal 1. It's $8 per person, straightforward, and adds only like 30 minutes to the trip. Then again, money is tight and I don't have kid.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Unless you have a ton of luggage I don't know why people would suggest avoiding the airport subway. I take the subway from manhattan to the airport all the time from downtown (A to Howard Beach then the air train). From midtown it's probably better to take E to Jamaica. For 3 people that's about $24. Taking a nonpeak LIRR instead adds another $1 or so per person.

A taxi is $52 flat rate plus some tolls/fees which can vary so maybe figure $65+ with tip. You can also get a private car service for around the same rate.

I've never taken an uber from manhattan to the airport but never saw a fare under $75 whenever I checked the rates. And now they want you to tip as well so I doubt I'd ever take an uber to the airport.

The flat rate taxi will be $70+ after tolls, tax, and tip. I don't mind taking the E ---> AirTrain ---> Terminal 1. It's $8 per person, straightforward, and adds only like 30 minutes to the trip. Then again, money is tight and I don't have kid.

I get what you guys are saying, but it is different if you are not familiar with the system or where you are going. A few times I have traveled and used the public transportation to get from the airport to my hotel or back. When I went to Chicago, I thought it was a nightmare. Atlanta a bit easier, but still would have preferred to just cab it. The anxiety of not knowing exactly when your stop is coming, then trying to get your bearings as you are leaving the different stations. Cab is just so much easier. Tell cabbie where you are going and relax in car. Most cities have pre-set pricing for cabs from their airports to the downtown area and it is not hard to find out ahead of time how much a cabride should cost.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I get what you guys are saying, but it is different if you are not familiar with the system or where you are going. A few times I have traveled and used the public transportation to get from the airport to my hotel or back. When I went to Chicago, I thought it was a nightmare. Atlanta a bit easier, but still would have preferred to just cab it. The anxiety of not knowing exactly when your stop is coming, then trying to get your bearings as you are leaving the different stations. Cab is just so much easier. Tell cabbie where you are going and relax in car. Most cities have pre-set pricing for cabs from their airports to the downtown area and it is not hard to find out ahead of time how much a cabride should cost.

The only place I didn't take public transportation to/from the airport (when available) was in China and that's because cabs are so cheap there.

RUSF18

Nov 10, 2010
Another vote for taxi/car service/Uber.

Even if it ends up being another $150 RT compared to the subway (high end estimate), just consider it a part of the overall trip cost. And an international trip into NYC I'm sure is nicely into the 4 digits so you're really not talking about a big added expense. Hell, skip one nice meal for a quick sandwich and you'll be getting way more value for your money.

It's just not worth the aggravation, especially with a ton of luggage and a kid. Last thing you want is to encounter any sort of logistical problem to start your trip, or when trying to get back to the airport for your flight back.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Another vote for taxi/car service/Uber.

Even if it ends up being another $150 RT compared to the subway (high end estimate), just consider it a part of the overall trip cost. And an international trip into NYC I'm sure is nicely into the 4 digits so you're really not talking about a big added expense. Hell, skip one nice meal for a quick sandwich and you'll be getting way more value for your money.

It's just not worth the aggravation, especially with a ton of luggage and a kid. Last thing you want is to encounter any sort of logistical problem to start your trip, or when trying to get back to the airport for your flight back.

This is the main reason why I'm deciding against the sub. If it was just me and one suitcase I'd easily take the subway. But having my kid and wife with me just adds a layer of difficulty/inconvenience.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I feel that Lucali is overrated now. The space is gorgeous and they have a cool setup with the pizza and calzones only menu, BYOB, nice waitresses etc. but if you're judging solely pizza to pizza there are quite a few places I would put above it. Lucali has that hipster sparkle now that I think has resulted in the pizza getting rated above it's weight class. Roberta's pizza is far better, despite also having that hipster sparkle which I personally consider a negative.

Di Fara is the best pizza I've ever had, of any style, anywhere. Be prepared for a ridiculous wait, not enough seating and absurd prices. You need to walk in there accepting all of this because there's nothing more annoying than hearing people mention Di Fara and saying "You know, the pizza was great, but it's overpriced and not worth the wait." Of course it's overpriced and not worth the wait. That doesn't mean it's not the best pizza you've ever had.

I'll second the votes for Joe's as well. Consistently the most perfect NY slice you can get.

Patsy's in Harlem is also fantastic. Somewhat similar to Joe's with a more floppy crust. Don't get fooled into going to one of the other Patsy's spots in the City, just go to the Harlem one.

Louie's and Ernie's in the Bronx is also amazing in the Joe's and Patsy's vein.

If you're up in Westchester, Johnny's in Mount Vernon has what it takes to compete with the big boys in the City as well.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I feel that Lucali is overrated now. The space is gorgeous and they have a cool setup with the pizza and calzones only menu, BYOB, nice waitresses etc. but if you're judging solely pizza to pizza there are quite a few places I would put above it. Lucali has that hipster sparkle now that I think has resulted in the pizza getting rated above it's weight class. Roberta's pizza is far better, despite also having that hipster sparkle which I personally consider a negative.

I've had both Roberta's and Lucali and I thought Lucali was absolutely better, no questions asked :dunno:

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
In my experience, it is impossible to compare NYC pizzas and we shouldn't even try :laugh:

Di Fara is a personal favorite of mine because of my experiences there and the feelings I associate with it. But to call it the most delicious pizza I've ever eaten? It very well may be, but that's so hard for me to say definitively.

Sometimes it depends on how they make the pizza on that day - I had a pizza that blew my mind last month at Lombardi's, and other times I've gone the same exact pie has been soggy and boring (this is something you avoid at Di Fara's for now, with Dom cooking every pie himself).

Sometimes it also depends on toppings. The white pizza at Totonno's is one of my favorite things on earth. How do I compare the Lardo Calrissian pizza at Roberta's to the classic pie at Lucali's? I don't think there's any fair way to judge, just enjoy both experiences for what they are :)

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I've had both Roberta's and Lucali and I thought Lucali was absolutely better, no questions asked :dunno:

I was not a big fan but I generally disfavor the neapolitan style pizzas you get from Roberta's, Lucali, Zero Otto Nove etc. I've also never had my pizza made by the owner, Iacono, who seems to be there less and less of recent times. I remember my friends going there quite regularly when they first opened and Iacono was there making the pies almost every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->