New York City Thread: Part III (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 23124

I'm in London for a couple of weeks, just took a day trip to Canterbury on a high speed train (under an hour) and will be traveling to Edinburgh, over 400 miles in a little over 4 hours. Not exactly a bullet train but really better than anything we have in the US, even the Acela.
Amen to that...I did a train tour from London to Rome and was very impressed by their trains....Italy's weren't comparable, but still better than what we have here in the US.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Amen to that...I did a train tour from London to Rome and was very impressed by their trains....Italy's weren't comparable, but still better than what we have here in the US.

Which services in Italy? The Trenitalia High-Speed ones are kinda getting up there in age, but the newer NTV are pretty good for service.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Which services in Italy? The Trenitalia High-Speed ones are kinda getting up there in age, but the newer NTV are pretty good for service.

Im taking the high speed train from Florence to Rome this weekend. It better be the damn good one. Italo train or something like that.

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
Nope, quite familiar with the different subway models, and the commuter lines in and around the city. Have an extensive book collection dedicated to railroads and trains.

Make my home base in Central PA these days, which is mecca to railroading (Strasburg), and just a hop, skip and a jump up from the B&O Museum in Baltimore.

Off-topic, but I am intrigued by a question for a couple of years - how much SME manufacturing (say building materials, high-quality timber products but could be anything - firms employing 150-350 people) is left in the East Coast of the United States outside of the big metropolitan areas? Have you gotten any impressions regarding that?

Most people probably wouldn´t know or care so I completely understand if that has escaped your notice. Probably answers my question in a way as well.

Deleted member 23124

I would say the Trenitalia....they were small....so small some of us had to put our luggage in a different car than the one we were riding in.

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
I'm moving to the city in October/ november as my wife has got a job with a hospital there. Would I be fine to maintain my nhl tv subscription if I am a sens fan? I'm thinking I'll be out of market so I doubt many games will be blacked out. Also the hospital is providing us with subsidised accommodation and have said get spectrum for internet/ tv / phone. Any suggestions for using them? Thanks in advance.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'm moving to the city in October/ november as my wife has got a job with a hospital there. Would I be fine to maintain my nhl tv subscription if I am a sens fan? I'm thinking I'll be out of market so I doubt many games will be blacked out. Also the hospital is providing us with subsidised accommodation and have said get spectrum for internet/ tv / phone. Any suggestions for using them? Thanks in advance.
Where in the city will you be moving? I'm out in Bayside and have Spectrum. They are no issue, and I have a 100/10 Mbps plan. No hiccups or anything, really. They were great to work with for install and when I had to get a new modem, swapping the account over was quick.

Not sure how good service and whatnot would be deeper into the city though.

Do you absolutely need TV/landline?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Attention window AC people. Can someone explain to me why, when I kept it inside all winter, and there's no visible black mold, does the air coming out of my window unit smell awful. I've already replaced one this weekend. I don't want to have to replace this one, too. It'll be cheap. It's working in a room that's probably definitely < 100 sq. ft. I'm just annoyed that it's probably coming to this because I don't want to breathe this toxicity. I'm running it on fan mode all day with the door to the room closed and the other window in the room open to hopefully "dry it out"? But really, RIP silverfish.

@West Coast Eagles +1 to what Irish said. The only issue I've ever had with Spectrum was caused by my building and not Spectrum themselves. Basically just like any other service provider.

Last edited:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
@silverfish

Did you Try changing the filter? If not, you should be able to get one cheaply.

It’s tricky if you’re above the ground floor bc you obviously can’t pull it out and rotate it outside to see if there’s water logged.

Edit- most window unit filters are reusable. You just clean them. But I would get a whole new one from what you describe.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
@silverfish

Did you Try changing the filter? If not, you should be able to get one cheaply.

It’s tricky if you’re above the ground floor bc you obviously can’t pull it out and rotate it outside to see if there’s water logged.
The removable filter is clean, but there does look like there's some dust build up on the "grill"(????) behind it. Here's where you all laugh at me for my level of mechanical inclination is about a 1/10, if that.

I can very easily take it out of the window again, and open it up, and clean it... I guess that's the next move. Will probably electrocute myself.

I'm just annoyed because it was inside all winter. Sitting on my bedroom floor. There was no standing water, I dried it out before I left it there. I understand why I needed to replace the one that the old tenant left that basically rusted itself to the window and has probably been here for ten years and had black mold all up in it. I get that. But I don't get why the other one is giving me issues. When I pulled it in for the winter, I don't remember this smell being an issue. When I plugged it in the other day... woof.

And if it smelled this way whilst sitting on my floor all winter, well, I'm pretty sure I would've smelled it. Which means it only started smelling when it started running again?

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The removable filter is clean, but there does look like there's some dust build up on the "grill"(????) behind it. Here's where you all laugh at me for my level of mechanical inclination is about a 1/10, if that.

I can very easily take it out of the window again, and open it up, and clean it... I guess that's the next move. Will probably electrocute myself.

I'm just annoyed because it was inside all winter. Sitting on my bedroom floor. There was no standing water, I dried it out before I left it there. I understand why I needed to replace the one that the old tenant left that basically rusted itself to the window and has probably been here for ten years and had black mold all up in it. I get that. But I don't get why the other one is giving me issues. When I pulled it in for the winter, I don't remember this smell being an issue. When I plugged it in the other day... woof.

And if it smelled this way whilst sitting on my floor all winter, well, I'm pretty sure I would've smelled it. Which means it only started smelling when it started running again?

Yeah that does sound strange. Could be the filter since it only smells when on.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Yeah that does sound strange. Could be the filter since it only smells when on.
Well now even when it's off, if I stick my nose in it, I can smell it. But I didn't smell anything before turning it on for the first time, when I smelled it immediately. So I'm guessing it was there the whole time, whatever it is, and has clearly been exacerbated by, well, being on again.

Appreciate the insights.

So I pulled it back out of the window... if I stick my nose in the back part, I don't really smell anything. Obviously, it's not the cleanest unit in the world being three years old now, but no smell.

If I stick my nose in the vent, you know where the air comes out, oh boy, there's the smell. So I guess I gotta pop those bad boys out and stick my face into it. What the hell is happening.

I can't wait 'til I'm rich enough to afford central AC or an apartment building where they have those big ole units by the windows.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Sliverfish, consider getting the unit professionally cleaned--don't know where you live, but a lot of neighborhoods have small appliance stores that will pick up the unit and give it a thorough cleaning.

It's strange though--never had that problem with a window unit.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Sliverfish, consider getting the unit professionally cleaned--don't know where you live, but a lot of neighborhoods have small appliance stores that will pick up the unit and give it a thorough cleaning.

It's strange though--never had that problem with a window unit.
Yeah gonna pop it open tomorrow and see what's up. Maybe look into getting it cleaned, but again, I only need like 5k BTU for this room anyway, so the price of cleaning vs just getting a new unit could be negligible.

Good idea, though. Thanks!

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Yeah gonna pop it open tomorrow and see what's up. Maybe look into getting it cleaned, but again, I only need like 5k BTU for this room anyway, so the price of cleaning vs just getting a new unit could be negligible.

Good idea, though. Thanks!
You gotta think of a better post to end your HFNYR career on before you somehow manage to electrocute yourself while fixing this thing. ;)

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
Where in the city will you be moving? I'm out in Bayside and have Spectrum. They are no issue, and I have a 100/10 Mbps plan. No hiccups or anything, really. They were great to work with for install and when I had to get a new modem, swapping the account over was quick.

Not sure how good service and whatnot would be deeper into the city though.

Do you absolutely need TV/landline?

Upper East side (would have much preferred downtown but what can you do when it's subsidised). Definitely don't need tv and landline but just saw they had a package for 30 bucks a month with all 3. Fyi internet alone here (I'm Australian) is more than that and decent cable is another 70 minimum so I thought it seemed pretty cheap.

Thanks for the help! And you @silverfish

Looking forward to the adventure!

Ps. Anyone need a project manager or avionics engineer in the city? I still need to find a job!

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Again, you embrace your avatar wonderfully.
giphy.gif

abparry87

Jun 11, 2010
Australia
No sure if this is the place to post this question, however I am in New York for our honeymoon from the 27th - 6th and am wanting to see a game @ Madison Square, Islanders and New Jersey. How should I go about getting tickets for the games, can I get in early or will I need to wait? Also any awesome suggestions for what we should do for New Years, wanna make the most of it as we are coming all the way from Australia. Cheers

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Congrats! You can buy tickets on ticketmaster (maybe starting in august?) or stubhub (once the schedule is released) but those will carry heavy markups depending on how well the team is doing (but tickets will be pricey anyway during the holiday season). You'll see people selling their tickets (usually for games at MSG) in the ticket reselling thread when it's opened on this board but we're currently still in the relocation process (check out the season ticket holder thread if you're interested). However, we still have the draft in 2 weeks which is around the time the schedule is released. Once the schedule is released you might find someone willing to sell you tickets to a particular game but no one will actually have tickets until around mid-late august I'm guessing. Plus people might want to see how well the off season goes before committing to selling particular games.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
No sure if this is the place to post this question, however I am in New York for our honeymoon from the 27th - 6th and am wanting to see a game @ Madison Square, Islanders and New Jersey. How should I go about getting tickets for the games, can I get in early or will I need to wait? Also any awesome suggestions for what we should do for New Years, wanna make the most of it as we are coming all the way from Australia. Cheers

Where are you staying in NY? Have you booked all accommodations?

Isles and Devils tickets will be easy to buy on the resale market. Just may be a decent trip to get to their arenas, depending on where you are staying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad