New York City Thread: Part III (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, @Jablkon are you staying in a hotel in Manhattan? If so where are you going to park your car for the week? That's going to get mighty pricey. Don't even think about parking it on the street. You'll have to worry about "Alternate Side Parking". You're not going to need it in NYC as you can easily take the subway, bus, taxi/uber. Probably best to just take the train up.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Why drive? You can get a train right into Penn Station under MSG....
We want to see bit of Philadelphia center so we chose car to be more flexible but, but yeah we could consider train. Its probably even more to see from train than from car, I dont know.

Yeah, @Jablkon are you staying in a hotel in Manhattan? If so where are you going to park your car for the week? That's going to get mighty pricey. Don't even think about parking it on the street. You'll have to worry about "Alternate Side Parking". You're not going to need it in NYC as you can easily take the subway, bus, taxi/uber. Probably best to just take the train up.
We staying on Long Island close to Queensbridge park. Thanks for advice. I decided to return the car once we come to New York, looks like no reason to keep it as we can get everywhere by subway. I suppose pubs around MSG will be full of fans, am I right?:) we going to game against Bruins on 7th

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
What are some good places to watch the Super Bowl in NYC?
Just moved to UES, but would not mind going into downtown.
Would prefer some place with healthy menu choices.

Pens any good?
Charge a cover?

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
What are some good places to watch the Super Bowl in NYC?
Just moved to UES, but would not mind going into downtown.
Would prefer some place with healthy menu choices.

Pens any good?
Charge a cover?
I know I am late to the part on this, but for future reference if you head down to the 50s and 40s on 2nd ave, there is a bunch of bars. Most are a headquarters for an out of town team. One of them is an Eagles bar, not sure which one off the top of my head. There is a Redskins bar right next to it.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
What are some good places to eat by MSG?
I am looking for something fast casual an dehalthy, I like Poke and will be coming by the 2 train.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Should ask to, looking to play roller hockey but need skates.
I live on the UES; any tips on the best places and type to get?

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
Should ask to, looking to play roller hockey but need skates.
I live on the UES; any tips on the best places and type to get?
Westside skate and stick - It's a little far from you but accessible via public transit and by a longshot has the best gear and most knowledgeable staff

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
We want to see bit of Philadelphia center so we chose car to be more flexible but, but yeah we could consider train. Its probably even more to see from train than from car, I dont know.

We staying on Long Island close to Queensbridge park. Thanks for advice. I decided to return the car once we come to New York, looks like no reason to keep it as we can get everywhere by subway. I suppose pubs around MSG will be full of fans, am I right?:) we going to game against Bruins on 7th

Just FYI thats not Long Island thats Long Island City, Queens. And its right by Queensbridge projects, don't make the mistake of walking through the projects ever, especially at night.

edit: A few months late, heed my words anyway!

Reactions: Jablkon

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Just FYI thats not Long Island thats Long Island City, Queens. And its right by Queensbridge projects, don't make the mistake of walking through the projects ever, especially at night.

edit: A few months late, heed my words anyway!
Thank you anyway. I didn’t really know what is the area about till I came. It was quite funny because it looked pretty empty around so I asked ladies on frontdesk what is going on around, if there are any pubs etc. And first thing they told me was “ its ok, I can go home alone at late night”. I was like “hold on I should rather google where I am”:). I can not deny I always looked at that houses thinking about going through but I didnt :). Interesting story anyway. But the location is very good and apart from that houses I didnt really feel uncomfortable around. Hotel was very good and also relatively cheap considering its New York. Games were literally awesome and weather was perfect.

z1co80

The Incredible Hank
Nov 30, 2007
Scotland
i have booked up to come to NY at the end of November-December for 10 days. Already got my Giants-Bears tickets booked but I am also hoping to take in a NYR game or two should the schedule be kind.

It is looking like my trip will be one on my own as myself and girlfriend have just split up and she was the other person I had on the flight tickets and hotel so rather than cancel everything and cost even more money to re-book I have decided that I may as well take the trip on my own. My only issue is what to do with the spare Giants-Bears ticket.

I am staying in the Wyndham New Yorker and will be looking to do most of the tourist things during the day but at night is where I am concerned of being a lone traveller. What activities could people suggest to do at night? even if it was just a friendly pub or sports bar to watch a NYR game.

Also, what is the best way to get NYR tickets? NHL ticket exchange early or do I wait and see if I can get them nearer the time and hope they are cheaper?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Has anyone checked out the R211 prototype

Nothing will ever replace the sense of wonder of taking the subway in the 1980s.

Was watching an episode of Real Ghostbusters with the kids the other night and they couldn’t understand why the trains were covered in “drawings.” Had almost as much fun explaining that as I did when one of my sisters showed them a photo of me on a pay phone.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Nothing will ever replace the sense of wonder of taking the subway in the 1980s.

Was watching an episode of Real Ghostbusters with the kids the other night and they couldn’t understand why the trains were covered in “drawings.” Had almost as much fun explaining that as I did when one of my sisters showed them a photo of me on a pay phone.
That's wild. I'm 23, so I still remember payphones and some graffiti on the R33 and R36 fleet. Not so much on others by that time but R40s on the Brighton had it a lot too. That's still wild to me how you would explain it now

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
That's wild. I'm 23, so I still remember payphones and some graffiti on the R33 and R36 fleet. Not so much on others by that time but R40s on the Brighton had it a lot too. That's still wild to me how you would explain it now

Growing up in Middle Village, Queens with the M line’s R42s wasn’t bad at all.

But some of those older IRT lines were the pits. Older models like the R27s and R30-32s would get eaten alive.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
i have booked up to come to NY at the end of November-December for 10 days. Already got my Giants-Bears tickets booked but I am also hoping to take in a NYR game or two should the schedule be kind.

It is looking like my trip will be one on my own as myself and girlfriend have just split up and she was the other person I had on the flight tickets and hotel so rather than cancel everything and cost even more money to re-book I have decided that I may as well take the trip on my own. My only issue is what to do with the spare Giants-Bears ticket.

I am staying in the Wyndham New Yorker and will be looking to do most of the tourist things during the day but at night is where I am concerned of being a lone traveller. What activities could people suggest to do at night? even if it was just a friendly pub or sports bar to watch a NYR game.

Also, what is the best way to get NYR tickets? NHL ticket exchange early or do I wait and see if I can get them nearer the time and hope they are cheaper?
Not to be a jerk, but if you skim this thread, you'll gat a lot of answers to your nightlife questions....

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Growing up in Middle Village, Queens with the M line’s R42s wasn’t bad at all.

But some of those older IRT lines were the pits. Older models like the R27s and R30-32s would get eaten alive.

I never got to see anything older than either of the redbirds and R32s post-reno. My dad used to show me some pictures of R22s and 27s just completely covered like livery wraps. I think the M was using R42s for a brief time this year. Those and the R32s are legendary for staying around this long and working still. Kind of a testament to how well they service most of the fleet, even though the R46s are starting to go. Last time I was on one of those on the R it sounded like it was nearing the end of its passenger service life.

I am a huge train/rail fan and specifically have studied almost everything about the trains they've used for our subway. Always was really cool to me and I love going to the museum.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I never got to see anything older than either of the redbirds and R32s post-reno. My dad used to show me some pictures of R22s and 27s just completely covered like livery wraps. I think the M was using R42s for a brief time this year. Those and the R32s are legendary for staying around this long and working still. Kind of a testament to how well they service most of the fleet, even though the R46s are starting to go. Last time I was on one of those on the R it sounded like it was nearing the end of its passenger service life.

I am a huge train/rail fan and specifically have studied almost everything about the trains they've used for our subway. Always was really cool to me and I love going to the museum.

I'm fairly familiar with them myself as a Railfan.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I'm fairly familiar with them myself as a Railfan.
That I did not know, that is great. Most people think I am a freak if I tell them about the trains and the system's evolution. It's nice to discuss with someone else who knows about it all as well. I was excited when the R160s came out; feels like yesterday still that they were brand new on my line, the N.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
That I did not know, that is great. Most people think I am a freak if I tell them about the trains and the system's evolution. It's nice to discuss with someone else who knows about it all as well. I was excited when the R160s came out; feels like yesterday still that they were brand new on my line, the N.

Nope, quite familiar with the different subway models, and the commuter lines in and around the city. Have an extensive book collection dedicated to railroads and trains.

Make my home base in Central PA these days, which is mecca to railroading (Strasburg), and just a hop, skip and a jump up from the B&O Museum in Baltimore.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Nope, quite familiar with the different subway models, and the commuter lines in and around the city. Have an extensive book collection dedicated to railroads and trains.

Make my home base in Central PA these days, which is mecca to railroading (Strasburg), and just a hop, skip and a jump up from the B&O Museum in Baltimore.
I last visited Strasburg maybe 7 years ago. I was thinking of coming out there again when I have off from work in a couple of weeks. I love all railroad type things. I don't have too many museums up in Buffalo but we do have a pretty good amount of railroad activity with CSX and NS using the sub to get into the northern midwest and points further.

One of my dream jobs was to work the NEC for Amtrak when I was a kid. Always thought being on a crew in and out of Penn would be absolutely amazing.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I'm in London for a couple of weeks, just took a day trip to Canterbury on a high speed train (under an hour) and will be traveling to Edinburgh, over 400 miles in a little over 4 hours. Not exactly a bullet train but really better than anything we have in the US, even the Acela.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad