New Year's Resolutions?

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Happy New Year's! What is your New Year's Resolution? Can be Oilers or non Oilers related.
My New Year's Resolution is to not watch Oilers games and to learn the guitar instead.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Happy New Year's! What is your New Year's Resolution? Can be Oilers or non Oilers related.
My New Year's Resolution is to not watch Oilers games and to learn the guitar instead.
upload_2018-12-31_23-21-19.jpeg

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
As I posted in the PGT, I'm done for the season. This team ain't sniffing the playoffs and will be back in last place in the west in 2 or 3 weeks, or less. I'll watch the BoA games but that's it. Chiarelli has ruined the Oilers for me.

If Chiarelli is fired, I'll see who the new gm is and maybe I'll come back to watch depending on who is hired.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I haven't watched football in years, but I found myself more emotionally invested in the Ravens while playing a must-win game against the Browns on Sunday night than I have any Oilers game in a long time.

Made me realize I should just stop spending time and money on a team I basically don't even care about anymore.

Reactions: Aerrol

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
at a personal level I do not make news years resolutions--if you want to change--just do it and get on with it==do not use a certain date to starts

for the oilers-got none

This.
Perfectly said for me as well.

If it was Oilers New Years Resolutions for front office, who knows. It's like they see one year in terms of Dog Years. Shit, maybe Chiarelli isn't our guy? Lets ride this out for half a friggin decade, what's the worst that could happen?

Fmrnuckfan95

Dec 16, 2018
Edmonton
To stop loving a team that tortures me on a daily basis. I can't help myself, I still watch every game and I would still go see them live.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
What OilKing / local kid/ relative of ex Oiler are we wishing for this time?

It's kind of funny how we draft and sign all the bad descendants. Never the good ones like Jake Debrusk, or Anthony Mantha, or Matthew Tkachuk, or...

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
What OilKing / local kid/ relative of ex Oiler are we wishing for this time?

Matthew Robertson. Defenseman for the Oil Kings who should go in the top 15. Expecting the Oilers to draft him out of convenience

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'll chime in. NYE resolutions are fairly meaningless. Change in life is sudden. One day I won't care, and that will be it, and I don't know when that will be. I think I can see that with the Eskimos. I'm just mostly done with that club, even the product, the league, and I was a CFL diehard fan.

With the Oilers its more complex. My interests extend well beyond hockey. I look at it as the national fascination, the sport, the politics, the economics, and also how people evaluate, discuss. If my fascination was still Chess I would be on a board discussing Grandmaster games. Hockey allows discussion that grass roots involve in, I love that, this board is always the most populated Edmonton based board. So many things can get discussed. The current team is almost a sideline. I've had my fan cups like any older fan. I'm lucky. I've seen the best team on Earth, attended the cup wins. Been to Nirvana.

The current team, when things are not going well I'm able to approach with a combination of morbid interest and comic pathos. Its a tragicomedy that just makes for a somewhat interesting endless novel. The Oilers org is, and has been for decades, as pathetic as the Oil Change series that featured it. Its like a bad soap story and at present I'm still not changing the channel. I don't pay for the product, not a dime, and I FF through commercials so don't watch the sponsors either.

Its just easy entertainment. I detest actual soap stories. This Oilers one suffices for the same thing, and is as tawdry, but it gets through my filter that otherwise say why waste time with this garbage. If I wasn't watching this I would be reading more poor novels or watching poor Netflix or something like that. I've read most of the classics. The amount of series I engage in is extremely limited.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Skate more. Stop being so fat. Stop buying video games until I've played 100 games from the backlog... could interfere with not being fat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad